Can I go afk while killing a boss?

Comments

• MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    wasnt there a similar discussion involving zhen? that since you could get exp w/out being at computer some were concerned whether it was appropriate? what happened to that discussion?

they decided zhen was okie?
    since you use teh charms? b:sin
    lols~ (>.<)'
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    just because you can't think of a way to do it without cheating doesn't mean a way does not exist

If your way needs to be kept secret then dont be surprised if you get reported for exploiting. And i have a high level Veno too. There is a way to not be attacked & not need to heal, & it IS an exploit & bannable. Other then that, there is no way without having your computer doing something on auto repeat (a computer program that repeatedly presses a button for instance, is a bot, a very very simple one, but it is a bot.)
    well I only get 500 xp if I kill the boss. But of course If a GM could clarify if this is ok that would be great.

A GM wont clarify without knowing more specifically how you're doing this mystical feat of not having to heal your pet while it kills a World Boss.
  • Chezedude - Dreamweaver
    Chezedude - Dreamweaver Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    LOL if you still don't know what boss im talking about.
    youtube.com/chezedude
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    a few things must be said:

1- if youre not actually using a bot, then it is not/cannot be considered botting.

2- yes, the loop icon in the skill macro menu does create repeating loops if the loop is the first icon on the list.

3- heal pet cannot be on a loop all by itself, for mechanical reasons. the skill cooldown is not quick enough for the loop to work. you can however do : loop, heal, venemous, and that will repeat until the target dies (or if the pet dies from a 1 shot or something).

4- going afk for a little while (read: a few minutes) while killing an instance boss is one thing. soloing a world boss, afk, for several hours is another and it is most likely impermissible, meaning you will be subject to punishment if you are caught doing it. instance bosses are unlimited. by killing one you do not take it away from someone else. world bosses, as far as i know, are limited spawns. if you want to solo one and actually be there for the experience, that'd be fine. but soloing one afk shows insult and disregard for the entire community on your server, and as such, would fall into the category of a tos violation for the simple fact that the rules leave much room for interpretation and circumstance.

if you wanna solo tt and go afk, have at it. take as many hours as you want. but if you want to bogart something that under normal circumstances an entire guild would be using... well, lets just say the multiple people who'd actually participate (read: be at the computer) take priority over the one who wouldn't. if you dont get noticed, no harm done. but a world boss would be noticable, and people would complain (not to mention deliberately sabotage your plan).

i remember a thread where some veno asked if it was ok to set pet to auto attack mobs who attack you and put themselves in a dense spawn and go afk for X hours. i'm pretty sure a GM responded and said that no, its not ok.

a good rule of thumb: if you're going to be "actively" afk long enough for someone to notice, report you, and have a GM pm you and wait long enough for a response... log off.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    LOL if you still don't know what boss im talking about.

Lol indeed, since it's actually been said.
    Lemme guess: Soul Hunter, ranged pet.

And bingo. Surprised you're the only one who got this.

I've witnessed this stunt being pulled a few times. They simply set their ranged pets, such as a cactapod to attack, and go afk. For those who don't know, Soul Hunter will not deal damage if the agro holder hits with ranged attacks, he'll only spam aoe-debuff.

Apparently, if you deal enough damage, but let the pet hold agro, you can actually throw the timing off and kill the boss faster, in other words kill before the afk player returns. In which case drops are yours.
    Still would get GM confirmation on the whole issue before attempting either of the above, since taking advantage of someone breaking a rule could technically mean you're breaking the same rule too.
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    And you are using the Bannable exploit i thought you were talking about all along. I didnt say it because it just gives ppl more ideas. When the air pet bug (i know this is different) was discussed, at length, GMs stated that finding any system where a pet can continually attack but not receive damage back, is an exploit. This includes Ranged Pet on Soul Hunter as well.
  • Devilmaycare - Harshlands
    Devilmaycare - Harshlands Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    From my understanding as far as GMs in MOST games are concerned(and i'm fairly certain i've seen it stated here as well).... afk killing IS BOTTING, and is a bannable offense.

But even if it turns out to be that I'm wrong about this, there are just way too many things that can go wrong, and you'd serve a much more usefull purpose just setting a shop or something while you're afk.

And just FYI, the way a GM checks someone that's been accused of botting is by trying to talk to them and if they fail to respond a certain number of times = banned, how do I know this? because i've been nearby during a few botchecks in PWI before.....
  • Brigid - Harshlands
    Brigid - Harshlands Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    So does that mean that using a ranged pet on, say, Noxious Philestine (also only debuffs ranged attackers) is considered an exploit? How about ranged classes attacking said miniboss, or even Soul Hunter?

Admittedly, Soul Hunter does do an AoE stun every 10-15 seconds once he's down to 75% HP, which makes it impossible for say, ranged classes to afk kill him with a macro.
  • Chezedude - Dreamweaver
    Chezedude - Dreamweaver Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    so what if I do try to stay there for the whole 15 hours to solo it. however after 3 hours of watching the screen none stop, I start day dreaming and fall asleep. would I get in trouble too?
    youtube.com/chezedude
  • I_missU - Dreamweaver
    I_missU - Dreamweaver Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    lol this is good if i see an afk veno killing WB, i'll help DD n call my faction mates too, n then steal the loots.. lol this is interesting. cant wait to see it. maybe i should start patrolling WB area b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    QQ
    I got demon quickshot at last b:victoryb:thanks
  • vbarbie
    vbarbie Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    There is no veno Auto Repeat Heal Skill dude.. You can't solo kill a boss with a charm, pets need to be healed while they are killing a mob/boss , so how are you supposed to kill the boss with a dead pet? How are you gonna kill a boss with your pet without healing it? Isn't your question pretty stupid?
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    vbarbie wrote: »
    There is no veno Auto Repeat Heal Skill dude....

Ermm, do you know about ingame macros? Do you know they can be looped indefinitely as long as you dont run out of MP or chi (if needed).

In this regard tho I'd have to say no, I don't think this is permitted. I've seen venos do this sort of thing, where the veno constantly heals a pet every 5 sec (even when the pet is at full health) and the pet (usually herc) is left on auto attack in a lower level mob spawn.

This afk grinding is like ingame botting and I remember the GMs specifying somewhere that it would not be permitted. I'll try and dig up the post later.

Going afk for a few mins (even if solo and midboss) is ok ofc but when we talk about hours on end, its not the same thing. Doing this in an instance is also perhaps incorrect, but wth, at least you're not denying someone else the opportunity to do it the 'right' way.

If I see evenos like this about I generally lure the veno out into the mobs or onto a safe spot away from the mobs spawn. No free afk exp for you! b:angry
    Flame me at will if you must. b:laugh

Most likely what will happen is: someone is going see you solo attacking a WB with your pet. Hes gonna get his faction put up a few squads and out DD you on the boss (while not loosing aggro ofc). Guess who's gonna get the free drops?
    Btw: let me know when you plan on doing this....I'll be your friend and keep an eye out for you! b:mischievous b:sin
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    This is all related to, as spoons would say, the intent of the afk. If you're afk because you fell asleep, you obviously didn't intend to fall asleep and it's fine. But if you're purposely going afk to get the loot after you come home, the intent of that is wrong because you're trying to play the game without being there to actually play it. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Skimi - Dreamweaver
    Skimi - Dreamweaver Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Well if clerics and archers aren't allowed to go afk while they zhen(heal/att),
    then why veno would be allowed to do it(heal or att) while afk?
  • Ninnuam - Sanctuary
    Ninnuam - Sanctuary Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    nvm im an idiot xd
    b:dirty
  • Lightaine - Dreamweaver
    Lightaine - Dreamweaver Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Ermm, do you know about ingame macros? Do you know they can be looped indefinitely as long as you dont run out of MP or chi (if needed).

Ermm, do you know about ingame cooldown times? Do you know that once you try to cast heal the second time, the macro breaks?

You'd have to throw another skill in between each heal.

But man, what do you cash shoppers have against playing the game? So violently refusing to play the game you spend hundreds of dollars on. b:shocked
    hai2u
  • Sacagaweia - Dreamweaver
    Sacagaweia - Dreamweaver Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I went AFK on a boss this morning. I was tanking Fushma for a faction cleric's BH (just the two of us) and was running late leaving for work, so once I had him herded into the safe zone, I told her as much and left.
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    This is all related to, as spoons would say, the intent of the afk. If you're afk because you fell asleep, you obviously didn't intend to fall asleep and it's fine. But if you're purposely going afk to get the loot after you come home, the intent of that is wrong because you're trying to play the game without being there to actually play it. b:surrender
    What happens if I start attacking, go down quickly to eat some cookies,find that the school bus has arrived early and that I've got to go and don't have time to put my account out of afk mode?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I believe the answer is the same as zhenning.

If a gm comes by and talks to you and you don't respond within a time frame that is suitable. Your account will be banned for exploitation of in game mechanics.
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Didn't know about Soul Hunter, -nice! I've been taking down one that deals damage, but very little (even without protect: my marksman can handle it). I was able to get a shot off between heals til this last patch which appears to have given the boss either AoE or longer range on it's AoE. My wiz alt can still hit from out of range though. I've contemplated this myself: buying an MP charm and going AFK. Imagine if you stumbled on someone doing just this though... wouldn't it be tempting to help finish the boss earlier than they expect then wait around for the drops to become free for all? b:laugh
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Ceshiari - Sanctuary
    Ceshiari - Sanctuary Posts: 757 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    admission of your plans to do this is enough reason for any GM to ban you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • omgwtfbbqhaxors
    omgwtfbbqhaxors Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    admission of your plans to do this is enough reason for any GM to ban you.

LMAO. and what if i asked if it were permissible if i dragged every single world boss on the server into w. arch? does by asking that question an "admission of [my] plans" and warrant a ban? i'll let you sit on that thought.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    LMAO. and what if i asked if it were permissible if i dragged every single world boss on the server into w. arch? does by asking that question an "admission of [my] plans" and warrant a ban? i'll let you sit on that thought.

Allow me to point you to this line in the TOS:
    http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms

Section 5:
    [...] PWE reserves the right to discontinue the Service or to terminate or suspend your account at any time in its sole discretion for any reason, or for no reason."

So yes, they could ban you for asking about it.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I would certainly hope it was bannable. If AFK leveling is bannable (and it should be) I see no reason why AFK killing a boss shuld be any different.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I think the question being asked isn't the real thing that players are wondering. The bottom line is if you are unresponsive while actively killing a monster you may be reported, the GMs will looks into it and deal with it as they see fit.

So can you go AFK while killing a boss? Maybe, but if you are caught and banned for botting "I was AFK" will not be a valid excuse.b:victory

I hope that clears things up a bit.
  • IzzyLilBunny - Heavens Tear
    IzzyLilBunny - Heavens Tear Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Yet, if someone is killing Soul Hunter for example, I see no reason they wouldn't go afk and eat something / work / do their homework or out with there bf / gf / wife / husband as SH takes like 6H solo, the person could put something on their basic attack key and go, that doesnt mean they're botting that means they let their char afk? u guys should try that, I usually put something on my F2 (venomous scarab) when im in a TT and going to get some food b:cute .
    My sig is gone cus lol b:bye
  • eatwithspoons
    edited November 2009
    It doesn't mean they're not botting either. Therein lies the issue.

Although it is not difficult to glance at your chat pane while eating food. It's not like a GM will ban you if you don't respond in 10 seconds.
  • Divine_Death - Dreamweaver
    Divine_Death - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,491 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Although it is not difficult to glance at your chat pane while eating food.

But it's hard if I'm using a spoon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Closing this for excess letter Q's" - hawk
  • eatwithspoons
    edited November 2009
    But it's hard if I'm using a spoon.

No it's not.... considering I can even type forum posts while holding one b:chuckle
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    And you are using the Bannable exploit i thought you were talking about all along. I didnt say it because it just gives ppl more ideas. When the air pet bug (i know this is different) was discussed, at length, GMs stated that finding any system where a pet can continually attack but not receive damage back, is an exploit. This includes Ranged Pet on Soul Hunter as well.

So, if I'm a physical ranged attack class and use only normal attacks (no MP consumption), and I do this, is that an exploit on this boss. Let's assume I'm at my computer for many hours, so the AFK issue is moot.

I use normal attacks only. No macro, not botting. Is that an exploit on Soul Hunter? Am I glitching because I am taking no damage from the boss?
This discussion has been closed.