Thunderball: Good Opener?

ArchmageEra - Dreamweaver
ArchmageEra - Dreamweaver Posts: 27 Arc User
edited November 2009 in Cleric
Hello! I've been hearing that TB is very bad etc. but I just got the lv.1 version and it looks good. You can cast it as a opener, then plume shot till the end. Am I missing something, or is it really very good?
Post edited by ArchmageEra - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• forks89
    forks89 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    TB = Bad

As a cleric you can usually kill faster than TB takes to get all of the Dmg across so why bother with a DoT if all the time to deal the damage is not required.
    Raging Tide Guild:resolvepwi.mmoguildsites.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    it may be an Okay opener in the early levels, but once you learn wield thunder, youd be better off with that.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Keep at level one and NVR open with it b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    In some weird occasion its good, other then that a fail skill.
    *could put Give me back 3k MP in stead of that skill >.<*
    b:dirty
  • ArchmageEra - Dreamweaver
    ArchmageEra - Dreamweaver Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Ok, thanks. It seems to me to be a good opener for now. From what I hear, I'll properly scrap it off for Wield thunder.
  • rst777
    rst777 Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    you would do better to open with cyclone i think. the slow it casts helps keep mobs away while you kill em. and since its one of your best attacks, you are going to level it anyway.
  • Aydamn - Lost City
    Aydamn - Lost City Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Exactly what Bob said: I loved it during the super-early days, but I haven't used it since about level 30, if that. :S
    rst's right about cyclone, too. It's very powerful (especially when combined with metal mastery), and the slowing effect allows you to get a few more hits in.
  • Slake - Lost City
    Slake - Lost City Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Thunderball definately = useless. Just for fun I even got the sage version and its terrible. You can do two hits in the time it charges that do more dmg than thunderball's initial hit and its DoT. Worst.... skill....everrrrr.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GotTold.com

Sup?
  • rst777
    rst777 Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    ahhh. i was gonna ask if when leveled up would it be useful for boss fights. since it is DoT you would pull less agro maybe?
    but if the damage is that low then who cares really.
  • Ahira - Lost City
    Ahira - Lost City Posts: 791 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I actually found it quite useful! b:surrender

I used it to open on wood mobs before going to cyclone/plume. It worked out to be more mana efficient than just using cyclone/plume or wield thunder- cyclone/plume- but that could also be build dependant. Only good for a short time though- i dont think i used it after 7x.
    --Retired--

Factions: Forbiden, Genesis, Conqueror, BloodLust, Zen, Spectral
    Active October 2008- August 2009; Semi-active- May 2010
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    It is only good on bosses not world bosses as few higher lvl Cleric have stated here.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • BeingHope - Harshlands
    BeingHope - Harshlands Posts: 5,013 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    If you don't want to die (and I'm confident about that...), don't even DREAM OF GETTING IT!!!!!!!!!!!! b:angry

Okay! Got the message? Its just a stupid spell nobody needs cause wield thunder and Tempest are the best compared to, that spell *shiver* Geez, see? I can't even say/think of it without a chill going down my spine rofl

b:thanks So have fun! Live! (Evil :3 Heh heh)
    [SIGPIC]http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad175/beinghope/beinghopesiggie.png[/SIGPIC]
    I forgot!!! Thanks forsaken for the signature b:cute
    b:chuckle I love huge catshops LOL b:laugh
  • Lumiinos - Sanctuary
    Lumiinos - Sanctuary Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    only time i use it is if I don't have too much time to DD so I just lay a thunderball in my rotation...kinda like IH, IH, IH, elemental/dimensional seal, thunderball, IH IH IH
  • Lumiinos - Sanctuary
    Lumiinos - Sanctuary Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    If you don't want to die (and I'm confident about that...), don't even DREAM OF GETTING IT!!!!!!!!!!!! b:angry

you still need to get at least lvl 1 of it to be able to get sirens kiss to be able to get wield thunder to be able to get tempest...so in the end it has one use if none at all
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    It's a nice opener at very low levels for phys mobs, since for a few levels near the start the damage is kinda decent, and yes you could get several hits in the time it takes to cast, but also gives the mob more time to run over and smack away at you.

It's basically an extra help for early levels. Same way BM's have Tiger Maw, which deals appallingly low damage mid to end game, but actually helps alot in the first 10 levels.
    Get level 1 only (since you need to anyway to learn more skills) use it till about level 10 or so when you get better skills and leave it at that.
  • brantanor
    brantanor Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I'm lvl 71 atm, and i have NEVER used that skill. I just got at at lvl 1 to get the rest.

You really don't need it even at low(-10) level since plume/cyclone does a much better job. You won't even notice any difference.

Once you get "wield thunder" , level that one up and use it as an opener in your macro : wt-cyclone-plume is the best combo you will ever have going non AoE. As for going against melee mobs : lvl plume shell, it's awesome.
  • Alerean - Heavens Tear
    Alerean - Heavens Tear Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Get level 1 only (since you need to anyway to learn more skills) use it till about level 10 or so when you get better skills and leave it at that.

To emphasize its uselessness, you can't learn it until level 16 :P This skill truly is pointless due to the cast time and the damage it deals is quite low since the mob dies far before its dealt its true damage.
  • Bagoly_ - Sanctuary
    Bagoly_ - Sanctuary Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I have lvl1 Thunderball and never use it, but I think it can be situationally useful in pvp: dot isn't halved from air as I heard, and the sage version with sage Metal Mastery does enough damage to use it as a charm breaker (use thunderball to tick the enemy's charm so the dot functions as additional damage while the charm recharges).

Again, just in theory. I never tried these in practice.
  • Slake - Lost City
    Slake - Lost City Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I have lvl1 Thunderball and never use it, but I think it can be situationally useful in pvp: dot isn't halved from air as I heard, and the sage version with sage Metal Mastery does enough damage to use it as a charm breaker (use thunderball to tick the enemy's charm so the dot functions as additional damage while the charm recharges).

Again, just in theory. I never tried these in practice.

I have the sage version (just for fun :P) and its pretty useless.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GotTold.com

Sup?
  • Bagoly_ - Sanctuary
    Bagoly_ - Sanctuary Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I have the sage version (just for fun :P) and its pretty useless.

You ruined my faint hope that Thunderball can be good for something. b:cry