Do barbs really level that much slower?

bryancarroll
bryancarroll Posts: 7 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Barbarian
I'm obviously new to the game. I started a blademaser, because I just wanted to get a feel for the game. I used to play WoW as a warrior and I'm interested in tanking, and I gather that at high levels and with good gear nothing is stronger than a barb (correct me if I'm wrong) because they are so gear dependant. So basically if how much longer would it take to lvl 1-100 with a barb as apposed to an archer or blademaster?
Post edited by bryancarroll on

Comments

• Sevas - Heavens Tear
    Sevas - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Your bum will drag when you hit your 90s. So let's just use a whole bunch of hypotheticals... If you have good/decent gear through all of your leveling and if you can get into zhen squads and if you're built right and if you can solo grind well or aoe grind with a cleric -> you will probably reach your 80s/90s fast. Your dailies will help you a lot with exp in the lower levels (CS at 30, BHs at 40, and WQ at 70). Seriously, it slows in the 90s, especially if you've stopped to make friends. Anyone can make it through the first 70 levels pretty fast now with the addition of BHs.
  • bryancarroll
    bryancarroll Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    so basically what you're say is that leveling a barb is not that much slower than the other classes?
  • forks89
    forks89 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Barbs level the slowest because they deal the least damage per attack.

But, They make up for it with massive HP so its a trade off you have to think over yourself.
    Raging Tide Guild:resolvepwi.mmoguildsites.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2009
    Not really. Of course, my highest level barb is L20 because I got sick of him after powering him to that level in two days with a friend. My main is my veno at 96 and most everyone I know has been in their 90s for a while. Your 70-90 will be based of your grind style (solo, aoe, zhen, etc.) and perhaps quests + dailies. I only really started leisurely playing my cleric alt again and over the past month and a half or so I've gotten her to L65 along with a friend. Mind you, that's with spending half the day or more on my main and getting sick of running TTs or dungeons to escape to my cleric and do it again from a different perspective. Anywho, you should have no lacking of squads for anything if you're a "good barb" because people love barbs.

*Still depends on your build. There are DD/PvP barbs, hybrid barbs, and pure Vit tanking barbs.
  • forks89
    forks89 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Yet even DD builds will deal the lowest damage per hit (compared to other classes), They are by nature a tanking class.

Barbs = least damage per hit
    least damage per hit = slowest kill rate
    slowest kill rate = slowest leveling

Simple logic :P
    Raging Tide Guild:resolvepwi.mmoguildsites.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    forks89 wrote: »
    Yet even DD builds will deal the lowest damage per hit (compared to other classes), They are by nature a tanking class.

Barbs = least damage per hit
    least damage per hit = slowest kill rate
    slowest kill rate = slowest leveling

Simple logic :P

True. BMs kill faster than barbs. This however is not just due to pure damage but more due to skills.

The physical attack gain is the same for a barb and a BM. If we consider a case of a barb and BM with same DD build and with only self buffs (soloing not in party) then the humanoid barb will typically have a higher HP and higher physical attack (due to titan's buff) and the BM will have greater defense (due to sutras). This is assuming the barb is a DD build barb. A vit build tanker barb ofc will do significantly less damage.

The BM additionally comes equipped with skills which will inflict greater damage (dragons debuff anyone?) and to multiple mobs. Basically BM is better at aoeing. So by the time barb has killed 2 or 4 mobs the BM might have killed 10+.

That being said, with the introduction of the new BH daily, leveling has become a lot easier. And a good barb is always in demand for FB/TT/BH/FF/RB runs.
    As with so much in life, it also depends on who you know....b:chuckle

And as to OP's other question, yes, barb's are late bloomers. It gets fun after you're 70+ and you really start to shine when you're 90+. Imho the 60-70 bit was the hardest for me (no BH back then).
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • lasttemplar
    lasttemplar Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Another thing you have to consider is how much better barbs are at staying alive. Yes, blademasters do kill faster, but they also take more damage, especially when hit by magic attacks. Barbs have Alacrity of the Beast to keep the fight to their advantage. Blademasters have no choice but to take the hit and make the best of it. And if for any reason you start to dc, barb has the best chance to survive. Most other classes you start to dc and even if you force log or pull the plug on your PC you might still log in to find a dead char

So while the barb has the slowest kill rate, they are much better at staying alive than most roles (probably only beaten by venos). Less dying = less experience being lost = better leveling

That higher damage rate is a double edge sword in the case of most classes. Yes, arcane clerics and wizards drop mobs pretty darn fast, yes blademasters AoE grinding will make them get exp faster, but making mistakes might mean you lose all the progress youve been making in the last few hours, and few things can make a player go into meltdown more effectively than cheap deaths making their grinding session go to waste

Just my 2 cents
  • Paigrande - Harshlands
    Paigrande - Harshlands Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Comparing to other classes, barbarians level slower but the difference is not really big, from lvls1-70 barbarians are really hard to level up but once you start getting close to 80 and you start doing GV, aoe grind(if you are rich) and cube of fate which also requires a bit of money u will start lvling at basically the same paces as other classes since barbarians are one of the few classes that can be used to successfully win cube of fate at lvls 7x, when you get to lvl85 you can start doing FC runs that will give alot of exp per run (at lvls90 it can gives 7% per run) nd once you get to lvls90 you can start doing the GV85+ easily nd you will get to lvl95 pretty easily if also grind nd if are always searching for fish(80+ mobs that give alot of exp if u grind in group, your role there is to pick the drops), zhen or aoe parties. This game is all about patience and it can take you about 4 months to get to lvl95 if you really play like 6 to 8 hours per day nd if focus your game time in leveling. But still, normal grinding at lvls92 starts getting completely useless :p
    If you like Blademasters you will also b hard to take down but barbarians are a tanking class, Blademasters are a melee DD class.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
  • DestroyTokyo - Lost City
    DestroyTokyo - Lost City Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Your bum will drag when you hit your 90s. So let's just use a whole bunch of hypotheticals... If you have good/decent gear through all of your leveling and if you can get into zhen squads and if you're built right and if you can solo grind well or aoe grind with a cleric -> you will probably reach your 80s/90s fast. Your dailies will help you a lot with exp in the lower levels (CS at 30, BHs at 40, and WQ at 70). Seriously, it slows in the 90s, especially if you've stopped to make friends. Anyone can make it through the first 70 levels pretty fast now with the addition of BHs.

This is easily the worst advice I've ever seen for leveling a wb.

from 70-100 you do nothing but GV, GV when you awake till GV when you log off. I did 89-95 in about 5 weeks.

Even @ 95 I make about 11% a run.

Basically if you're not doing gv as a wb you are doing a terrible job leveling.
    9x WB
    Voted "Best WB on Lost City Server" b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    from 70-100 you do nothing but GV, GV when you awake till GV when you log off. I did 89-95 in about 5 weeks.

I'm assuming GV = God's Valley? = RB?

I wish I could do rebirths, but I need a few mins afk every now and then and most squads just cant tolerate any afking in there.

Tho I manage well enough between Bh/CS and the occasional cube.
    Forgotten frostlands is for now my only hope of leveling a bit faster b:chuckle.
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I barb went from 66 to 70 in 2 days. Only used about 130 oracles to do it. I just wanted to skip the swamp. Thats not slow leveling.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Samthesmile - Sanctuary
    Samthesmile - Sanctuary Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I lvl'd form 86 to 99 in 2 months doing 1 RB delta a day and my daily's (i consider cube also as one)
  • Cleon - Harshlands
    Cleon - Harshlands Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Leveling a WB was the slowest, before they added BH and "fixed" GV.

1-30 = quests,
    30-60 = group grinding/questing/CS/BH
    60-71 = zhen/BH/CS
    71-86 = GV/BH/CS/Cube/WQ
    86-90 = GV/BH/CS/Cube/WQ
    +90 = zhen in 3rd map or still doing GV/BH/CS/Cube/WQ

At 9x you zhen if you are broke/lazy (can't afford a charm) or GV if you are rich and can stay at the computer for 2-3 hours without taking a break.

3rd map zhen gives you about 5-6% at 90 per hour, so thats 15-18% for 3 hours, which is the same a GV delta run takes. If you can't get a squad for zhen, just find a BM and aoe grind with him.
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    IDK, I leveled pretty quickly up until I hit 80. After that it's taken a lot longer. I only play 2hrs/night and if I'm on a TT run, there's no real exp there for the night.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • Samthesmile - Sanctuary
    Samthesmile - Sanctuary Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    IDK, I leveled pretty quickly up until I hit 80. After that it's taken a lot longer. I only play 2hrs/night and if I'm on a TT run, there's no real exp there for the night.

Rebirth gamma?
  • DestroyTokyo - Lost City
    DestroyTokyo - Lost City Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited October 2009

3rd map zhen gives you about 5-6% at 90 per hour, so thats 15-18% for 3 hours, which is the same a GV delta run takes. If you can't get a squad for zhen, just find a BM and aoe grind with him.

Although this is fairly true, IDK about your server but here 3rd map is pvp 90% of the time if you zhen you're going to get crashed several times. Which people tend to qq about.

So GV is the gimme xp that can't be crashed. (now if you take baddies into gv and fail that your own problemb:surrender)
    9x WB
    Voted "Best WB on Lost City Server" b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2009
    This is easily the worst advice I've ever seen for leveling a wb.

Even @ 95 I make about 11% a run.

Basically if you're not doing gv as a wb you are doing a terrible job leveling.

Rebirth, depending the server, is very difficult to find a squad for. What I said was very loose, very general. Suck it up and accept it that since the BHs came out - in addition to the anni. packs - leveling has been super accelerated for the nubcakes out there. I know this for a fact because my game hubby got our alts to about L60 in a couple weeks with a combination of Oracles, dailies, and questing.

You also have to look at your faction. They run around like chickens with no heads screaming for barbs and clerics to go here and do this and go there and do that. Between trying to help out friends and guildmates that's going to seriously cut into your leveling time, whether it be outright grinding or going to rebirth (which takes 3hrs for people who don't know). Then there are days where you just stand around go "Ho hum, so bored. I don't wanna level right now."
  • UntamedFreak - Lost City
    UntamedFreak - Lost City Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    barb is slow but it is just a little slower..
    yes they have lesser dmg but compensated with def and speed..
    while training, use life powder in maximise everything in terms of money gain/time and exp,spirit too... and fight 1 at a time if soloing, you should do good. b:victory
  • Soul_Thunder - Sanctuary
    Soul_Thunder - Sanctuary Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    i didn't really find barb lvling that slow since the survivability is so great as a barb. i don't use much pot at all and no charms yet. after i got sunder, i can grind for an hour with 3 or 4 mp pots only.

of topic for a bit, about rebirth, does a barb have to be charmed, and how long will a gold hp charm last roughly?
  • Kott - Sanctuary
    Kott - Sanctuary Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    forks89 wrote: »
    Barbs level the slowest because they deal the least damage per attack.

But, They make up for it with massive HP so its a trade off you have to think over yourself.

Yup low dmg is a bum when questing. But the good part is barbs are often asked for parties b:victory especially big lack in rbs. Once my puppy hit 71 lvled very fast (beta was a bish =_=). & I never have problems finding bh squads b:cute
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Rebirth gamma?

Haven't found a squad that knows what it's doing yet. I managed to stay alive...no one else did and they ditched me. I think my repairs were around 150K.

Mostly I grind, do my dailies, stack BHs for multiple bosses in same dungeon, and grind some more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin