Hardware for optimal performance in PWI? (Computer guru(s) needed :P)

Miugre - Heavens Tear
Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
edited November 2009 in Support Desk
I am in the market for a new desktop. One of the things I want it to do is play PWI perfectly - or at least near-perfectly - on high graphic settings. By that I mean, textures on, terrain on, water effects on, flowers on, distance maxed, etc., with a reasonably smooth framerate. Currently I run PWI on a laptop with 2GB of RAM, a dual-core Pentium with 1.73GHz, and a generic Intel video card (which I would assume is built-in) which claims to have 358MB of memory (strange number, I know). This machine is... competent in running PWI, and in unpopulated areas the framerate is more or less fine (unless I turn on the water effects), but depending on where I am the framerate takes a very big drop (like, 2FPS in West District).

I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on what kind of hardware to look for. I've seen desktops with 8GB of RAM which should be more than enough to acheive what I want. Video cards, though, I'm not so knowledgable about. Should I go for a 1GB one or would 512MB be sufficient? And what brand would anyone reccomend? Or does it make a difference?

And about processors - what are the plusses and minuses to dual or quad-core processors? Anyone know? What processor speed should be sufficient?

Are there any other hardware considerations I should be aware of? Thanks. :P
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
Post edited by Miugre - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    It all depends on what you mean by "optimal performance". Some of the more hardcore people would say that "optimal performance" is the performance you get out of the best possible PC, whereas some people would say that "optimal performance" is the threshold after which the next hardware upgrade starts having heavy diminishing returns on the performance boosts, whereas a third guy might say that "optimal performance" is the point where the game rolls at the same FPS as your monitor.

Generally, the more the better. Though, a few pointers:
    1. Quad Core isn't too fancy for gaming as there are no games that utilize all the cores. Personally, I'd look into the i-series by Intel.
    2. Getting multiple graphics cards for PWI is pointless, as it cannot utilize them.
    3. Getting more than 4 GB of RAM is pointless unless you also get a 64-bit OS as only those recognize more than that. Though, make sure you have "more than enough" RAM as you don't want it slowing you down.
    4. You should get the highest amount of memory you can get on a card, makes things roll smoother.
    5. Make sure that your system has sufficient cooling and a good enough power supply unit.
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • Angel__sora - Sanctuary
    Angel__sora - Sanctuary Posts: 213 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I have basically the same specs as you do and I don't have that much of a problem. I turned down my game settings to KEEP it that way, but PWI still looks pretty. I'm running 64 bit Vista with 2GB RAM and everything I have runs fine. Well, as long as Vista supports it. But still be smart and don't try to run a million things at once. I saw a commercial that said Windows 7 can run a whole bunch of stuff at once. Yeah, I don't believe that for a second.
    One man's pain is another man's lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alerean - Heavens Tear
    Alerean - Heavens Tear Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    To OP:
    For a reasonably functioning system, 4GB of RAM minimum. If you end up with a 32bit os you'll be using a bit less than that, but 4GB is usually priced cheap enough that it doesn't really cost any more compared to getting 3GB for example. Processor, I'd suggest anything above the 2.5Ghz mark that is dual core. PWI can't take advantage of multiple cores, but at least all your background apps can use the others and leave PWI to use its own. Video Card, PWI isn't super demanding, a 512MB card should perform fine, although it depends on the resolution you run your game at for example. What is the max resolution of the monitor you intend to use?

Perhaps post up a rig within your price range and we can point out weak points or bottlenecks?

I have basically the same specs as you do and I don't have that much of a problem. I turned down my game settings to KEEP it that way, but PWI still looks pretty. I'm running 64 bit Vista with 2GB RAM and everything I have runs fine. Well, as long as Vista supports it. But still be smart and don't try to run a million things at once. I saw a commercial that said Windows 7 can run a whole bunch of stuff at once. Yeah, I don't believe that for a second.

2GB of RAM, especially for a 64bit system isn't very much for resource hungry programs. Vista and 7 both are quite capable of multi-tasking, they just need the hardware to support it.
  • forks89
    forks89 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Funny you should mention that. I just got a new desktop for that specific reason.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103219

Let me just say that the game works perfect... Only very small amounts of lag in Arch (a little is always expected) Couple that with a nice 22" moniter and I'm one happy camper!

Not that it makes a difference but I am running Ubuntu 9.04 64bit.. So that means Even running it through Wine I am able to get graphics maxed out... Quite impressive if you ask me :P

Hopefully that helps.
    Raging Tide Guild:resolvepwi.mmoguildsites.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I run Perfect world on a Geforce 9600GT (512MB) video card with full graphics and lag only in west archo.

3GHZ processor = minimum processor speed if you want full graphics and no lag. (except west archo of course.)

RAM doesnt matter as much with games, where its just a single window open.

So to answer questions...
    Should I go for a 1GB one or would 512MB be sufficient? 512MB is fine And what brand would anyone reccomend? NVidia Geforce series is fine for PWI. You dont really have to get the latest graphics card. Or does it make a difference?

And about processors - what are the plusses and minuses to dual or quad-core processors? Anyone know? What processor speed should be sufficient?3Ghz if you want to run full graphics. (My one is dual core 3ghz

But if your using vista you'll need a faster processor/RAM. Vista demands more than XP, making it slower. Never tried Windows 7 though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited October 2009

Me am 100% sure it and XP and Vista can....but you will suffer from very very noticeable lag. b:chuckle

okie...optimal performance....do you has 2k-10k to spend? me can bring up hardware for a really really nice PC (we talking fast and probably powerful enough to be a server for PWI itself lols?) but judging from your original computer me suppose your budget be smaller.

also sheesh you don't need 4-8 gigs of ram to play games well. Me suffer no lag at west arch and happen to use 3 gigs of ram (although it is windows XP so it be a less ram intensive OS) *still takes up more then me would like.* X_x' Besides me see plenty of ignorant people who end up getting 8 gigs of ram but then decide to get a horribly weak video card and/or horribly weak CPU...*stares at 99% of all dell users & 50-80% of all name brand users...*

You be mainly limited by budget (For the main components of optimal gameplay *in no particular order* A. Videocard B. CPU C. Ram (Type and amount) D. Internet connection. E: (Optional doesn't really affect most game's gameplay.) Hard drive read/write speed. After that, it's all about how much you be willing to give up for performance.

Me hear windows 7 is actually not bad. but me not willing to pay for windows 7 when it doesn't really offer anything new. So me will stick to XP for now. (and if they try to cut support for XP then me will hop over to linux in half a second.)
    (also me happen to prefer ATI to Nvidia but they both good quality videocards.)
    oooo forgot to mention....Intel Graphics Chipset is so bad. DX Me don't even consider it a videocard... me refer to it as a chipset only. X_x' Intel X1300 can't play basically any new game/semi modern game.
    Here be a list of benchmark games it can handle...which is nearly none. just go to the link and copy paste the follow words using the find feature of your browser: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) X3100
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I run Perfect world on a Geforce 9600GT (512MB) video card with full graphics and lag only in west archo.

3GHZ processor = minimum processor speed if you want full graphics and no lag. (except west archo of course.)

RAM doesnt matter as much with games, where its just a single window open.

So to answer questions...

But if your using vista you'll need a faster processor/RAM. Vista demands more than XP, making it slower. Never tried Windows 7 though.

Just by a maxed out alienware Area 51 ALX for desktop or m17x laptop b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
    edited October 2009
    Just by a maxed out alienware Area 51 ALX for desktop or m17x laptop b:laugh

Your lack of knowledge disturbs me. b:shocked
    eww at your choice of manufacturer. Alienware makes decent computers using cheap labor. Me bet they hire gerbils who get paid minimum wage to put those things together. They get a ridiculous amount of complaints for a brand name company.
    the m17x laptop. yes the specs be good but the amount of power you get for the price is....kind of pathetic.
    and the desktop...*facepalm* no comment.
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    Your lack of knowledge disturbs me. b:shocked
    eww at your choice of manufacturer. Alienware makes decent computers using cheap labor. Me bet they hire gerbils who get paid minimum wage to put those things together. They get a ridiculous amount of complaints for a brand name company.
    the m17x laptop. yes the specs be good but the amount of power you get for the price is....kind of pathetic.
    and the desktop...*facepalm* no comment.

Yup,I dont understand this complex computer stuff. I just know that those things are hell expensive b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited October 2009
    Yup,I dont understand this complex computer stuff. I just know that those things are hell expensive b:surrender

(>.<)'
    sheesh lol but err it's okie. X_x'
    just remember more monies does not mean more better.
    me can sell you a rock for a million dollars and that doesn't magically make it a diamond. b:chuckle it's still a worthless rock. lols.
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    (>.<)'
    sheesh lol but err it's okie. X_x'
    just remember more monies does not mean more better.
    me can sell you a rock for a million dollars and that doesn't magically make it a diamond. b:chuckle it's still a worthless rock. lols.

ROCKZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!! b:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Sheets - Sanctuary
    Sheets - Sanctuary Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Well here is what i am running and it works awsome...

System Information
    Time of this report: 10/30/2009, 03:32:58
    Machine name: MACBOOKPRO
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
    System Model: MacBookPro5,4
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 2790MB RAM
    Page File: 399MB used, 4278MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 9400M
    Display Memory: 512.0 MB

((this is under bootcamp and not any VM btw))
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    Well here is what i am running and it works awsome...

System Information
    Time of this report: 10/30/2009, 03:32:58
    Machine name: MACBOOKPRO
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
    System Model: MacBookPro5,4
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 2790MB RAM
    Page File: 399MB used, 4278MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 9400M
    Display Memory: 512.0 MB
    Might not be such a great idea buying a macbook. A lot of games dont work on them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Sheets - Sanctuary
    Sheets - Sanctuary Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Might not be such a great idea buying a macbook. A lot of games dont work on them.

mhmm this i didnt know... but PWI like i said works like a charm and the few PC games i have plus game tap works great too.... but i am getting the general idea around this thread is that get whats the recommended system requirements and you should have a great time playin....

!~ Da Sheets
  • Stelacria - Heavens Tear
    Stelacria - Heavens Tear Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I run PWI on a year old Asus notebook with 4 GB RAM and a NVIDIA 9650m GT (roughly equal to a desktop 9500 GT) and I can max everything out everywhere but W Arch and that new BH thing. I can even surf the web on forums like these or watch Youtube videos while doing WQ.

Basically... just get a non integrated graphics card if you're getting a new notebook. Otherwise I'm pretty sure you could get any real desktop nowdays that can max out PWI for over say $500. Anything above that is probably just gravy.

Also Sheets is running PWI on a Windows Boot Camp thing so there's no conflicts with OSX...
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    Yes,yes, I see....I SEEE!!!!!!!!!!! Uhm,what exactly does that mean? Think I'll stop butting in now,and let the people who know what they're doing get on with it b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Santacruz - Heavens Tear
    Santacruz - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    i think its actually more dependant on you internet connection and how close you are to the server that makes this game run smooth lol

I play from the UK so i get a lot of network choke which causes stuttering and bad fps/lag even tho i can run crysis fine :P

for fun i changed the gfx card in my pc from a 7800gtx -> 8800gts -> gtx260 and there was absolutely no change in performance atall, so work on your net connection 1st :P
  • Jellytops - Heavens Tear
    Jellytops - Heavens Tear Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Regarding the Vista/Windows 7 "discussion". Windows 7 are much quicker than Vista, and uses less of your system. One thing I find odd with it, is that I'm running PWI on Vista, and it works ok with some reduced graphics. Can't run full HD, cause I can notice the game working a little slower. My brother has a computer that's spec'ed almost COMPLETLY like mine. I think my dual core is 0.03 GHz faster :0P He is running Windows 7, and he runs full HD with no problems at all. It even runs better than mine on reduced graphics! So yeah, the OS have a big say in this too!
    *-*-*When I wears my flashing sword and my hand takes hold on judgment. I will take vengeance upon mine enemies and I will repay those who hate me. Oh lord, raise me to thy right hand and count me among thy saints.*-*-*
  • dawhitemage
    dawhitemage Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    i got my new lappie the other day and i can run pwi on full settigns everywhere even archo

my laptop is a
    Asus g51vx A1 from xotic pc
    features
    i7 processer base model
    geforce gtx 260m 1gb ram
    8gb ram

:P

you can run pwi and a first person sooter at the same time and it only laggs in archo :P

and no i dont plan on coming back

oh and you can buy a asus g51vx rx05 from bestbuy for 1000usd at bestbuy if u live in the us
    and theres a 800 dollar or so version at ebay though its refurbrished i think
    meh its the same 99% of the time, if not its still returnable and 1 yr warranty too

and yes your net matters, get broadband or somthing 20mb/s is good enough if you find a good isp ur location shouldnt matter
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something. - Plato
    Wolfteam (softynx) IGN: 547212436 ;) (this is a fps game so in no way competes with pwi lulz)
  • baller75
    baller75 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    whatever you do just make sure you dont use intel. use AMD processor!!!!!! like seriously AMD or nothing. and pretty much everything falls into place nicely. im usin a AMD black duel core. that should b fine for you cause i do alot of stuff all the time. rite no im runnin pw and have.......round 30 other apps open and not a problem. hope everything works well for ya m8.
    edited October 2009
    Regarding the Vista/Windows 7 "discussion". Windows 7 are much quicker than Vista, and uses less of your system. One thing I find odd with it, is that I'm running PWI on Vista, and it works ok with some reduced graphics. Can't run full HD, cause I can notice the game working a little slower. My brother has a computer that's spec'ed almost COMPLETLY like mine. I think my dual core is 0.03 GHz faster :0P He is running Windows 7, and he runs full HD with no problems at all. It even runs better than mine on reduced graphics! So yeah, the OS have a big say in this too!

could you compare two decent OS not one useless piece of **** and a decent one? mayhaps XP and win 7? Vista sucks. >.<'
    baller75 wrote: »
    whatever you do just make sure you dont use intel. use AMD processor!!!!!! like seriously AMD or nothing. and pretty much everything falls into place nicely. im usin a AMD black duel core. that should b fine for you cause i do alot of stuff all the time. rite no im runnin pw and have.......round 30 other apps open and not a problem. hope everything works well for ya m8.

?
    Intel processors work fine for me. o.O it's just you should stay away from their graphics chipsets. Their processors are okie. Me am currently running CS 1.6/PWI/Firefox with 8 tabs/******** 3/MSN/AIM/utorrent.
    me pretty sure thats more computing power intensive programs then you running. b:sweat
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    baller75 wrote: »

AMD fanboy much? Its like comparing a bic ballpoint pen with a papermate ballpoint pen. They both work/provide the nearly the same level of processing power (however, I find AMD cheaper in most cases).
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2009
    Sorry for necroing this thing, haven't had time to reply lately. I'm still reading this thread.

A couple of extra notes:
    • Macs are out of the question, as I am violently allergic to Mac OSes (As in, I've taken several classes where Macs were used and they frustrated the living hell out of me). XD I don't have a problem with Linux, but I've never really used it.
    • I'm much more likely to buy a pre-built machine as long as it has the correct hardware in it. I stepped into Best Buy the other night (yeah yeah I know, newegg etc... I'm considering all options), and noticed that all their systems have been changed to Windows 7. I need to do some ****-around with 7 to set up things correctly... either that, or I'd like to find a system with 64-bit Vista (to take advantage of 8GB of RAM). I honestly don't care if they pre-load it with **** software, as I turn it all off anyway (god bless msconfig).
    • While in the Best Buy I saw one machine which claimed to have a 3 gig video card. o.O I believe it was some model of ATI card. Do they actually make 3-gig video cards or was this a typo? XD

EDIT: OH it got moved to tech support. XD I couldn't find it in general so I just did a search on myself to find this thread. So I guess I'm not necroposting, yay.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    edited October 2009
    AMD fanboy much? Its like comparing a bic ballpoint pen with a papermate ballpoint pen. They both work/provide the nearly the same level of processing power (however, I find AMD cheaper in most cases).

agreed. they both be very very similar (practically the same) human tech.
    X_X'
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2009
    Sorry for necroing this thing, haven't had time to reply lately. I'm still reading this thread.

A couple of extra notes:
    • Macs are out of the question, as I am violently allergic to Mac OSes (As in, I've taken several classes where Macs were used and they frustrated the living hell out of me). XD I don't have a problem with Linux, but I've never really used it.
    • I'm much more likely to buy a pre-built machine as long as it has the correct hardware in it. I stepped into Best Buy the other night (yeah yeah I know, newegg etc... I'm considering all options), and noticed that all their systems have been changed to Windows 7. I need to do some ****-around with 7 to set up things correctly... either that, or I'd like to find a system with 64-bit Vista (to take advantage of 8GB of RAM). I honestly don't care if they pre-load it with **** software, as I turn it all off anyway (god bless msconfig).
    • While in the Best Buy I saw one machine which claimed to have a 3 gig video card. o.O I believe it was some model of ATI card. Do they actually make 3-gig video cards or was this a typo? XD

EDIT: OH it got moved to tech support. XD I couldn't find it in general so I just did a search on myself to find this thread. So I guess I'm not necroposting, yay.

Windows 7 (64 bit) is probably the best way to go now. I never used it (using vista and xp atm) but, friends say it loads faster, less resource hog, and overall a better OS than vista.

I dont think any single ATI card has 3gb. It probably said "Shared Video Memory". Meaning the graphics uses a portion of the system memory. Or, it was crossfired or something.

Heres a little list I made (prices are CANADIAN newegg prices). When I save enough money, ill build this or something similar. I made it so it can be easily upgradable in the future with crossfire, raid, etc.:

I7 920 ~ 310
    ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 ~ 200
    CORSAIR XMS3 (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ~ 156
    Caviar black 1tb ~ 110
    Corsair 750w ~ 90
    XCLIO Windtunnel ~ 120
    120mm case fan ~ 7
    hd 4890 ~ 220
    Sub-total: 1213
    edited October 2009
    lol 3 gigs of memory in a single video card is probably a typo. either that or they figured a way to get two 1.5 gig memory video card (does that even exist? lol)
    and crossfired it.
    (>.<)'
    Just go for one with either 512mb memory or 1 gig.
    1 gig probably for the OP since his price range = 2k.
    d(^.-d)'
    mayhaps a ATI radeon 4870 or two? those are pretty nice cards.
    b:victory
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Della_Brown - Heavens Tear
    Della_Brown - Heavens Tear Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    What is your budget? You should realize that Newegg happens to sell complete PCs... :)

There's no good reason for <4GB RAM. Faster DDR3 will be better (IE, 1600MHz v. 1066MHz), but it won't be a crazy improvement.

Any Dual or quad core will be fine. Consider improvement by speed about linear (IE, 2.6->2.8 as +8% performance). You'll want speed over extra cores, given similar prices.

A minimum video card I'd say would be an nVidia Geforce 8800 derivative (see here) or AMD Radeon HD 4850. Don't accept something with bigger model numbers that has 128-bit memory access :). For Radeon models, the first digit is the series (5xxx newer than 4xxx), the second a line within that series (x8xx is generally beefier than x7xx), and the last two digits basically speeds and such within that (4890 > 4870 > 4850, but a 5850 may not be better than a 4870--check reviews). It's not quite that simple, but close enough. Your budget and choice of vendor will basically be the deciding factor for video card used.
    I dont think any single ATI card has 3gb. It probably said "Shared Video Memory". Meaning the graphics uses a portion of the system memory. Or, it was crossfired or something.
    This is becoming very common. The sticker will say 2GB or 3GB, but in an ambiguous way ("3GB video memory!"). But, it will have like a HD 4650 or something w/ 128 or 256MB (not that they'd be worth anything w/ 1GB, but...).

I would call this a really good value, and minimum specs to go for, if you've got the budget. I can't speak for the brand, just the specs and price. The CPU is honestly a bit overkill, but AMD's CPU prices right now make that somewhat attractive. If you have a high budget, then by all means, take a Core i7 and HD 5870, then jack the visual quality right on up.
    "adults on HT is an ancient myth used to scare away the kids from stealing their parents credit cards D:" - Santacruz
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2009
    Price range is around 1k, I'd rather not go over 1k unless the thing is spectacular. XD And for what I need, I doubt I need more.

About that newegg listing: good hardware, decent price... ugly box IMO. I care mildly for the aesthetics of the machine (including keyboard, mouse and speakers). Not that I'm asking you guys to find computers geared to my visual tastes. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Other Active Characters:
    edited November 2009
    Bestbuy and futureshop really lack in the graphics department. I swear, even some of their ~1k machines have integrated graphics.
    edited November 2009
    Price range is around 1k, I'd rather not go over 1k unless the thing is spectacular. XD And for what I need, I doubt I need more.

About that newegg listing: good hardware, decent price... ugly box IMO. I care mildly for the aesthetics of the machine (including keyboard, mouse and speakers). Not that I'm asking you guys to find computers geared to my visual tastes. :P

strange o.o' you not a mac person but want the looks of mac hardware?
    you can buy a new case me suppose. X_x' but then you has to move all your stuff yourself. Also common it's a computer. (>.<) go for the performance! it's not like people online can see your case.
    xD (unless you have a photo of it or something) o.o'
    Bestbuy and futureshop really lack in the graphics department. I swear, even some of their ~1k machines have integrated graphics.

and noo gawd noooes why brandname stores/companies for computers???
    whys~?!?
    everyone with computer knowledge knows they sell mainly out dated equipment at jacked up prices. b:shocked (and their non out dated hardware sells for ridiculous prices)
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.