Developers and Slingshots

Options
ClassySassy - Sanctuary
ClassySassy - Sanctuary Posts: 23 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Archer
So after playing an archer for awhile, I'm noticing that at early levels the slingshots seem to have the best attack speed and bonuses and basically....they are just better than all the other things we have to use.

But.....they look stupid as hell. I mean come on a slingshot? What am I 8 years old again, because my character sure doesn't look 8 years old.

So it occurred to me. This must be the work of a cruel and evil developer that after sitting home alone with nothing to do but design archer weapons for this game decided "I'm going to give all the best stats to this stupid looking...junk....so that they have to look stupid if they want these great stats. And if they don't want to look stupid, they have to use this useless piece of **** weapon instead."

I mean really, tt60 xbow has one bonus of +attack. Seriously? that's it? and the tt70 bow is even more sad for it's level? but hey look at this snazzy wind and the clouds with these great stats...owait, I gave this to my son for his birthday irl.
Post edited by ClassySassy - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I think this post is relevant to your interests:
    Level 64-69: I'm wondering which weapon I should use in my 70s. Comparing Wind and the Clouds and Unicorn, I see:

W&C: Faster. Higher DPS.
    Unicorn: Not a slingshot.

I think I'll go with Unicorn.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    You can get by without a slingshot and they aren't very needed at 90+.
    I refused to use one for the same aesthetic reasons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • ClassySassy - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    Options
    But I want the stats!

Somebody haxor me a unicorn with wind and the clouds stats on it. Nobody has to know. b:quiet
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    If you want a fast weapon get a bow and start stacking '-interval between hits' equipment.

The first you can use is the lvl 60 Bracer of Blood Moon which has -.1 interval and will make a bow shoot as fast as a slingshot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Here is what I did, in my 70s.

I used a Wind and the Clouds for grinding.

When I was flying or in town, I switched to this weapon.

Everybody can ooh and ahh about my bow while in town, yet I receive the benefits of the W&C during actual combat.
    edited October 2009
    Options

Everybody can ooh and ahh about my bow while in town, yet I receive the benefits of the W&C during actual combat.

I really love the knockback effect on that bow. I've never seen that before. However, I'm not mad about the slingshots because of other people looking at my character, I'm mad because I have to sit and watch it being used and it looks ridiculous. I'm basically hitting stuff in the head with pebbles.

Anyway, I found this bow in the auction house a few minutes ago for 1.8m I can use this till 70 right?

Penetrator Bow
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I really love the knockback effect on that bow. I've never seen that before. However, I'm not mad about the slingshots because of other people looking at my character, I'm mad because I have to sit and watch it being used and it looks ridiculous. I'm basically hitting stuff in the head with pebbles.

Anyway, I found this bow in the auction house a few minutes ago for 1.8m I can use this till 70 right?

Penetrator Bow

Sure you can, I don't see any problems with that.

But how the living hell did you get that amount of coins? So far, I've never had over 1,300,000 at any given time.
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options

Penetrator Bow

You can use anything until 70... or even 100.

The real question is, how much more difficult are you making it for yourself?

Use the Wind and the Clouds, shoot to 80 ASAP (which means using a sling) and get a CrimsonHorn: Soulsmasher if you dislike slings and xbows so much. Counter intuitive I know, but you will never ever have to use a sling again. Problem solved.
    edited October 2009
    Options

But how the living hell did you get that amount of coins? So far, I've never had over 1,300,000 at any given time.

Alt character lol.
    You can use anything until 70... or even 100.

The real question is, how much more difficult are you making it for yourself?

Use the Wind and the Clouds, shoot to 80 ASAP (which means using a sling) and get a CrimsonHorn: Soulsmasher if you dislike slings and xbows so much. Counter intuitive I know, but you will never ever have to use a sling again. Problem solved.

I don't dislike xbows, I was just annoyed that the tt60 xbow is pretty lame.
    I suppose you're right though, for the sake of efficiency I could just suck it up and use wind and the clouds.
    edited October 2009
    Options

Penetrator Bow

Congratulations on a great find. You can use it until 70.
  • Devoted - Lost City
    Devoted - Lost City Posts: 3,634 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    wtf? 1.8mil?!
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    DAANNGG
    1.8 MIL?
    NICE~~! FIND!!!!b:victory
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    How does Solarslayer add up to your guy's exxpectations?
    http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/8304
    I thought it'd be a nice investment over swiftwind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Transcend - Lost City
    Transcend - Lost City Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    lol @ aesthetics.

I loved using the 42, 69, and 90 slings and would recommend them to anyone who is looking to be more time efficient grinding one mob at a time. If I didn't have lunar bow, I'd still be using it for the grind and when fighting robes (especially in TWs). When I timed my hh90 +6 sling against my xbows (+6 radiance and +7 dream crasher), the sling killed faster using the same interval gears (rank chest & gold hh90 wrist).

I hope you don't think you have to use one type of weapon exclusively. Just hotkey your xbow & ammo and switch when you need to pvp.
    youtube.com/transcendpw

Latest Release: Electric Daisy Carnival [20 June 2013]
    Total Videos: 38
    Subscribers: 1,775
    Total Views: 1.21 million

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2009
    Options
    How does Solarslayer add up to your guy's exxpectations?
    http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/8304
    I thought it'd be a nice investment over swiftwind.

I would much rather use that than the swiftwind xbow, but I'm happy I found this penetrator bow to use.

Was it really that good of a deal? I mean I know it's +5 so the cost of creating it was quite high, but it's not that high level of gear, so wouldn't the resale value technically be low like that?
    I hope you don't think you have to use one type of weapon exclusively. Just hotkey your xbow & ammo and switch when you need to pvp.

No I didn't think I had to be exclusive to one type of weapon, I just really don't like slingshots lol. Like I said in a previous post though, I guess when it comes to grinding I'll just suck it up and use one.
  • Elviron - Dreamweaver
    Elviron - Dreamweaver Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Well I am planning to have all 3 types of weapons :P. Just made my Swiftwind xBow which seems decent enough once I get the 7 lvls to use it :P.

As for comparing the solar slayer and swiftwind xbows, The swiftwind has a miniscule more atk but lacks the HP and chance to slow down bonus. However, I would still prefer the swiftwind for the weapon progression (Would need its soul edge for making the TT70 Xbow and then TT70 soul edge for the TT80 and so on). Considering I find the soul edges rare enough on the AH, I rather just make the weapons even if am not using them using pve grinding.

As for lvl70 weapon, plannin to have a Unicorn (just need 3 more Chientien's Armor Shard) and hopefully I can get the Wind and Clouds mold :D.

But on topic: Using Slings makes the archer look really weird and uncool
  • FitHitDShan - Sanctuary
    FitHitDShan - Sanctuary Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    But on topic: Using Slings makes the archer look really weird and uncool

Sorry, buddy, but us male archers are already committed to looking weird. Unless you take it to the extreme of not using any of the metal attack skills (in which case, I salute your determination not to look "weird"), only the female archers really have anything to gain by avoiding slings.

I've been proud to pirouette with my Dennis The Menace weapons so far and will be a little bit sad to take up a bow again later this week when I hit 85.
    "?" IS my avatar.
  • Elviron - Dreamweaver
    Elviron - Dreamweaver Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Hmm metal skills...I use them only when absolutely required (usually when fighting tougher mobs). But yes I agree, those moves are weird enough...god only know why the Devs thought of that move. I do plan to use slings though even after stating that you would look weird all the times and not just while using metal skills :P
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Was it really that good of a deal? I mean I know it's +5 so the cost of creating it was quite high, but it's not that high level of gear, so wouldn't the resale value technically be low like that?

Yes. I remember when the Penetrator cost 3m without refines.

I think it might still cost that much.
  • MrConce - Harshlands
    MrConce - Harshlands Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options

Haha, I have the same exact bow, except instead of the knock back effect, mine has 3% Crit. =]
    "Always Outnumbered,Never Outgunned." + "For You My Lover,Pa Que Te Enamores" ~ Co7Vc3 ♥ El Romance Letal ♥ ~ Director of CareBears ~ Harshlands. Guess who's back? Bought a sexy **** powerful gaming laptop. Ready to be exploited. On my way to tech school/dorm. Be back soon. =)
  • Trista_Zel - Dreamweaver
    Trista_Zel - Dreamweaver Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options

1,300,000 > 193,250 b:chuckle
    Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.
    edited October 2009
    Options

He's not talking about the number of coins in my standard inventory lol. He meant the 1.8m I spent on the bow. But again, I didn't make the money on this character.
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    Options

For the record, I had that amount when I was in the 60s and it only lasted for a few days as I bought my Wind and the Clouds, refined it to +3 and got a Flawless Garnet for it.

Oh well, now to get some shards for my Armor of Grieving Sorrow.
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
    edited October 2009
    Options
    For the record, I had that amount when I was in the 60s and it only lasted for a few days as I bought my Wind and the Clouds, refined it to +3 and got a Flawless Garnet for it.

Oh well, now to get some shards for my Armor of Grieving Sorrow.

You can shard Grieving Sorrow with mere Avg Citrines and be fine, unless you PvP.

Honestly, Sir Olba, I recommend you get the Bracers of Blood Moon as soon as you can.
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    Options
    You can shard Grieving Sorrow with mere Avg Citrines and be fine, unless you PvP.

Oh well, I got 2 sockets on it anyways, so the difference between Average and Beautiful is insignificant and not worth the cost.
    Honestly, Sir Olba, I recommend you get the Bracers of Blood Moon as soon as you can.

Oh, I've been considering that. Just that the cost is terrific. Oh well, I recently saw someone saying something about W&C being usable in the 90s.

edited October 2009
    Options
    Oh, I've been considering [Bracers of Blood Moon]. Just that the cost is terrific. Oh well, I recently saw someone saying something about W&C being usable in the 90s.

People start all sorts of rumors, these days.
  • SneakyStalk - Harshlands
    SneakyStalk - Harshlands Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Ocasional PvP and slow leveling. I got my W&C +2 alraedy. Planning to go +3 for easier grinding. Apart from that, what XBOW should I use for PvP 70+ ???

Ive seen Thundercracks for 2.5mil and +3 for 5mil (which is way out of the question). But, are they the best ones? or should I choose another one? (I feel reluctant about the Unicorn, for some reason I think its mediocre in both sides PvE and PvP)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Un4given
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Ocasional PvP and slow leveling. I got my W&C +2 alraedy. Planning to go +3 for easier grinding. Apart from that, what XBOW should I use for PvP 70+ ???

Ive seen Thundercracks for 2.5mil and +3 for 5mil (which is way out of the question). But, are they the best ones? or should I choose another one? (I feel reluctant about the Unicorn, for some reason I think its mediocre in both sides PvE and PvP)

Thundercrack is simply the best, especially since it's required for the TT90 Blinding Radiance either way. Swiftwind Crossbow -> Thundercrack -> Flash Fire -> Blinding Radiance.

• SneakyStalk - Harshlands
    SneakyStalk - Harshlands Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Thx Olba. Got the Thundercrack for 2mil on AH. Great price since Forshura Armors sell for 800-1mil at the very least.

Other servers might find it expensive, but like I have stated before on many posts, people dont sell Swiftwinds for 300k on Harshlands, that is just not realistic. Swiftwinds sell regularly for 1mil bc each drum is around 180-280k each.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Un4given
  • Falcondance - Heavens Tear
    Falcondance - Heavens Tear Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Thx Olba. Got the Thundercrack for 2mil on AH. Great price since Forshura Armors sell for 800-1mil at the very least.

Other servers might find it expensive, but like I have stated before on many posts, people dont sell Swiftwinds for 300k on Harshlands, that is just not realistic. Swiftwinds sell regularly for 1mil bc each drum is around 180-280k each.

Baww, wish I could GM-teleport to your server just for an hour or two to sell my drums XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I always thought I'd be the only one doing crazy things for people who would never care enough to do it back or to act like idiots or be entirely vulnerable, and making someone fall in love with you is easy, and flying 3000 miles on four days notice because you can't just sit there and do nothing and breathe into telephones is not everyone's idea of love, but it is the way I can recognize it because that is what I do."
    Sig pic by Nowitsawn