New skills for pet

Lind_Rind - Sanctuary
Lind_Rind - Sanctuary Posts: 7 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Venomancer
im planning to get 3 skills for my magmite if possible(if i could delete it sandblow skill) so i was wondering if i could get a few opinion from exp venos around here...

the skills im getting is reflect, strong, and claw for my magmite so i was wondering if i shuld get them b4 i make my decision jus incase so that i wont waste money thx in advanceb:thanks
Post edited by Lind_Rind - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    im planning to get 3 skills for my magmite if possible(if i could delete it sandblow skill) so i was wondering if i could get a few opinion from exp venos around here...

the skills im getting is reflect, strong, and claw for my magmite so i was wondering if i shuld get them b4 i make my decision jus incase so that i wont waste money thx in advanceb:thanks

That's going to be one heck of a physical tank. Deleting sandblow is easy enough, just buy the forget scroll - and that will cost nothing compared to the rare scrolls you are proposing.

Is it a waste of money? Depends. Do you already have the herc?
  • Lind_Rind - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    nope i dun
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Magmites are not worth investing in. Use and dispose.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Lind_Rind - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    that abit harsh though as i not planning replacing it with any other land pets...but if that the case then which land pets is worth investing??(beside rare pets and/or herc and nix)
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2009
    The number of coins you're looking at for those rare-skill scrolls, you might as well get a herc (which has four rare skills built in)

The herc can (once it gets to a decent level) do everything the magmite can, but better. Only if you have some irrational objection to the herc should you stick with magmites to the end-game, really.

The interesting land pets are the ranged ones - they have some really odd uses.
    You might want to consider a really fast pet (which would be the kowlin, or something like a lynxus or wolf) - but they don't really have the staying power to be tanks of any kind. Great for pulling (and, I hear, for PK)

But, if you don't intend to replace the golem then, humm. Claw and reflect means it's going to deal some serious damage to [?] monsters.
    But... I don't see it surviving, even with strong, against all that many of them. Lots either have magic or just a ridiculously powerful physical attack. And of course there's the debuffs which can be cleared on barbs but which will stay on a pet.

Basically - what do you want to DO with this pet? And will those skills let you do it?
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    that abit harsh though as i not planning replacing it with any other land pets...but if that the case then which land pets is worth investing??(beside rare pets and/or herc and nix)

The skills you listed are rare pet skills, they've very expensive. Why would you exclude rare pets from the list? Those cost literally nothing compared to what you would spend on the rare pet skills. If you have the skills though and are intent on using them, throw strong and claw on an Eldergoth Marksman, protect is a great skill to have on one too.

No advice on reflect, hercs blow away any other tanking pet and come with it, and the skill costs too much to really make it worth investing that skill in another one.
  • Lind_Rind - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    The number of coins you're looking at for those rare-skill scrolls, you might as well get a herc (which has four rare skills built in)

The herc can (once it gets to a decent level) do everything the magmite can, but better. Only if you have some irrational objection to the herc should you stick with magmites to the end-game, really.

The interesting land pets are the ranged ones - they have some really odd uses.
    You might want to consider a really fast pet (which would be the kowlin, or something like a lynxus or wolf) - but they don't really have the staying power to be tanks of any kind. Great for pulling (and, I hear, for PK)

But, if you don't intend to replace the golem then, humm. Claw and reflect means it's going to deal some serious damage to [?] monsters.
    But... I don't see it surviving, even with strong, against all that many of them. Lots either have magic or just a ridiculously powerful physical attack. And of course there's the debuffs which can be cleared on barbs but which will stay on a pet.

Basically - what do you want to DO with this pet? And will those skills let you do it?

If i HAVE the coins i might get a herc but i dun as it VERY ex including the food and the cost of the items needed to get the herc is imho is alittle bit high and if i would get the skills it would help my golem abit and would not died so often durin questin, fb, bh, or tt...
    as for Brael i think about the EM and maybe protect...

Edit: didnt noe the skills was REALLY that rare and i tot i could buy the mrs. zoo...forget what i said earlier...guess i need to think of other skills to get for my magmite T.T
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2009
    Ah, right - yes, if you just read a guide and thought "Those sound like good skills" then yeah, I can understand your thinking.

If you want to improve a magmite, instead of saving up for a herc (or perhaps as part of saving up for it) - then your best bet is to level up the bash and sandblow skills as much as you can first, and then think about putting either other elemental bashes (toxic mist, lightning, fireball, whatever-the-water-one-is) or flesh-ream on. That should make it nearly impossible to pull aggro off, whilst still allowing it to do decent damage.
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    herc > improved magmite.

Cost of food is insignificant. Get some perfect cookies. Seen them selling for as low as 5k each, and they give herc/nix 200 loyalty. Get a blessing with that, and you will only spend a MAXIMUM of say 50k for food a week.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Lind_Rind - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    i asked a veno in my faction and she asked mi to lvl my bash but wasnt sure about the rest though...guess i hav to giv up on the skills thenb:surrender...
    but i still wont get a herc as i dun think i can get 9999 SOF or even buy gold to get them or feed it
  • _Miku_ - Lost City
    _Miku_ - Lost City Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    What pet and are you using it for pvp or tanking O.o
    Pvp = Fleash realm
    Tanking = Bash and maybe the elemental bash also if ur pet cannot hold agro. Maybe also tough? XD Idk but that has come in handy on my bear :D, like when i forget to heal and he is almost dead i use that to save him.
  • Lind_Rind - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    What pet and are you using it for pvp or tanking O.o
    im using the crystalis magmite for tanking
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    It hardly cost anything to keep a pet feed heck even my mount for my cleric has a tome to keep it loyal.You won't be able to TT the big bosses with a mag.I would suggest if you don't get an armoured bear.I would only upgrade bash on mag.They don't have good resale value as well.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • beckyfd
    beckyfd Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    How much does it cost for those rare skill scrolls and where do you buy them?
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    Sevas - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Depends on the scroll. I think Blessing of the Pack (HP buff pet scroll) goes for like 50mil. Others are more or less depending on their importance. The reflect scroll will also go pretty high. Can't really say myself since I rarely see them in the market (yes, that rare).
  • Kyuu_rei - Heavens Tear
    Kyuu_rei - Heavens Tear Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    i asked a veno in my faction and she asked mi to lvl my bash but wasnt sure about the rest though...guess i hav to giv up on the skills thenb:surrender...
    but i still wont get a herc as i dun think i can get 9999 SOF or even buy gold to get them or feed it

Hey there, getting about 50 pieces of meat is enough to feed herc to full loyalty.
    Then you can get fragments and pages to make a tome. And pet loyalty will be full at all times, including your mounts too.

Unless, your pet dies in game, or feeding it is not that expensive. b:victory
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    Sevas - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    When you get a Legendary pet their buff/support skills are maxed. Fleshream is good on the Nix, less so on the Herc though there is an argument for it. Herc isn't the best PvP pet so don't worry about it.

~If you don't think you're going to be getting a herc for a long while and are using a magmite, level up it's bash.
  • Mamiko_mao - Sanctuary
    Mamiko_mao - Sanctuary Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I owned a Crystalline Magmite till level 80. Rather than buy those overpriced pet skills, I recommend levelling Bash to 5 if you can afford it, and Tough (a short-lived high defense skill, Mrs. Zoologist sells this) to around level 3. Save the rest of your money for a Hercules when (if) gold prices drop and those SoFs/Nix feathers become affordable again.

The golem generally can tank and hold the aggro on most regular mobs decently with this setup, and for those instances when it can't, use Tough to get a few seconds' grace and either run, or inform your squad to do whatever it takes to take the heat off your pet.

The thing is the Herc really IS the best tanking pet for the sole reason that it has enough HP to survive a blow from a boss, whereas the Golem can't, even with buffs.
  • tweakz
    edited October 2009
    The thing is the Herc really IS the best tanking pet for the sole reason that it has enough HP to survive a blow from a boss, whereas the Golem can't, even with buffs.

My Marksman can tank world bosses that my Herc get's one-shot by. Both are the same level. More: http://www.ecatomb.net/pwi/petstat.php
  • Mamiko_mao - Sanctuary
    Mamiko_mao - Sanctuary Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Er...
    Herc -
    HP: 4135
    PDef: 8952
    Mdef: 7161

Eldergoth Marksman:
    HP: 2856
    Pdef: 6271
    Mdef: 6841

So you mean, it can tank because it keeps the World Boss at a distance? I'm aware several of them only debuff at range, not attack. Is that what you meant?

Makes sense. All the HP in the world won't save a Herc if it gets hit by an attack, but if you can avoid getting hit to begin with, HP's not that big a factor! xD

Damn, should I start training an Eldergoth? I do want to kill WBs eventually.
  • tweakz
    edited October 2009
    Just check the database for the patk to matk (most world bosses have signficantly higher patk). Also note that matks take longer cast time so it's nice and steady.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    So you mean, it can tank because it keeps the World Boss at a distance? I'm aware several of them only debuff at range, not attack. Is that what you meant?

Makes sense. All the HP in the world won't save a Herc if it gets hit by an attack, but if you can avoid getting hit to begin with, HP's not that big a factor! xD

Damn, should I start training an Eldergoth? I do want to kill WBs eventually.
    So tweakz does not jump all over me, let me start off by saying that I heartily recommend everyone get a ranged pet like a Marksman. The ranged attack is very useful in certain situations, and a requirement in others.

That said, using a Marksman to tank a world boss is not really practical. The marksman does only 3/4ths the base damage of a herc, and at range it cannot use aggro skills and there will be no reflect damage. This severely limits the amount of damage you or other party members (or their pets) can do without pulling aggro off the Marksman. Meaning it'll take you a lot longer to do it than with a proper tank. At 24 million hp for a world boss and a level 90 Marksman only doing 3162 damage every 2 sec, if you assume a modest 30% damage reduction and no hp regen, it'll take you 6 hours solo.

Also keep in mind that tweakz's Marksman has Claw (the +30% damage buff on the phoenix), and Strong and Protect (the herc's defense buffs). Or maybe it was Bless and Protect. I would wait for someone else to verify that a world boss can be tanked by a vanilla Marksman before getting too enamored with the idea. (Aside from a debuff boss like Soul Hunter.)
  • tweakz
    edited October 2009
    That said, using a Marksman to tank a world boss is not really practical. The marksman does only 3/4ths the base damage of a herc, and at range it cannot use aggro skills and there will be no reflect damage. This severely limits the amount of damage you or other party members (or their pets) can do without pulling aggro off the Marksman. Meaning it'll take you a lot longer to do it than with a proper tank. At 24 million hp for a world boss and a level 90 Marksman only doing 3162 damage every 2 sec, if you assume a modest 30% damage reduction and no hp regen, it'll take you 6 hours solo.

For tanking in a squad: yes - let a barb get repair bills.

Claw and Protect in general can be found cheaper than Blessing. I've picked up claw for 5m and 7m. -Same with Protect. Claw boosts the Marksman's dmg by 30% while Protect boosts it's defense giving you more time to attack while soloing. (which can bring the time down significantly by using Ironwood alone). Using an alt can bring it down some more. Everyone should know how to avoid aggro using their alts (like not using undine if wiz which is also a waste of MP for a single wiz). Now weigh this time against multiple squads, multiple deaths, half an hour of setup, repair costs, and your individual share for the time involved. At 92 I did it with an 84 alt in ~4 hours without using any pots and without even hitting with my veno (mistake). I'm 93 now and believe it could be done in less than 2 1/2 hours w/o pots using an alt by using Ironwood, Myriad Rainbow, Celestial Eruption, etc and an alt for free MP. The alternative would be to put an overpriced overhyped rare skill on a Herc in place of Pounce which would impair it's aggro holding and dmg significantly to the point that you may want an additional Herc.
    Also keep in mind that tweakz's Marksman has Claw (the +30% damage buff on the phoenix), and Strong and Protect (the herc's defense buffs). Or maybe it was Bless and Protect. I would wait for someone else to verify that a world boss can be tanked by a vanilla Marksman before getting too enamored with the idea. (Aside from a debuff boss like Soul Hunter.)

I don't believe Strong is necessary to tank the WB's I've tested as their range attacks appear to be magic. I put Strong on my Marksman simply as a bonus because it works regardless of range and comes in handy for harpys in FF.
  • AngelOfLies - Heavens Tear
    AngelOfLies - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    a veno in my guild got a herc a while back, and b4 that she used a mag, idk which type but it had Bash, tough, roar, and maybe another skill and that kept her from taking aggro, considering most of her skills r lvl 10, her nova now should be like 10
    Avatars: Name-Class-Lvl-Server-Guild-Activeness

AngelOfLies-Cleric-90 Sage-no guild-Not currently Active
    _CatGirl_-Veno-80-No Guild-Not Currently Acitve
    BlindingEdge-Seeker-6x-No Guild-Main
    DrawtheWaves-Sin-5x-No Guild-Active Alt