PvE vs PvP

Options
Devil_Vergil - Lost City
Devil_Vergil - Lost City Posts: 224 Arc User
edited October 2009 in General Discussion
First off can someone tell me what the difference is between the 2? Can u not do random PKs in PvE servers or what is the actual diference. When i started the game i wanted to play PvE so i picked sanctuary server, then i made a new char in lost city and thats where ive been playin ever since (only played til lvl 10 on sanctuary) and just found out that its a PvP server.

So ONE: can someone plz tell me the dif between these types of servers (PvP and PvE)

and TWO: what do u guys like to play more PvP or PvE??
Post edited by Devil_Vergil - Lost City on

Comments

• /Radar/ - Lost City
    /Radar/ - Lost City Posts: 358 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    pvp: once you hit lvl 30, you go whitename, and can pk/be pk'd other players at will (with the exception of bluenames). you CANNOT turn off pk mode

pve: once you hit lvl 30, you have the option to turn on pk mode at your free will. if you turn it on, you go whitename, and can pk/be pk'd other players at will (with the exception of bluenames). you must wait at least 10 hours before turning pk mode off. if you kill other players, you must wait a certain period of time for your "infamy" to wear off before turning pk mode off (you still have the 10 hour timer running in the background regardless, so you will be in pk mode for at least 10 hours). the timers only run while the character is actively logged in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Ophida for the cute siggy :3

- retired 11/06/09
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    To summarize:

From Level 30 until you become high level:
    PVP - The other players choose when to kill you
    PVE - You choose when to get killed by the other players

Once you reach high level, than you can substitute the above for:
    PVP - You choose when to kill all the other players
    PVE - The other players choose when you can kill them
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    In Lost City (PvP), you can be killed at any time by anyone over level 30 if they choose to go after you.

And yes, you will be killed more then a few times. That I am sure of. Although I will maintain that the rpk is nothing like it used to be and it is much easier to get to the higher levels without much in the way of being pk'd. The lower level areas are for the most part empty from what I see.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Taurzo - Lost City
    Taurzo - Lost City Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    In Lost City (PvP), you can be killed at any time by anyone over level 30 if they choose to go after you.

And yes, you will be killed more then a few times. That I am sure of. Although I will maintain that the rpk is nothing like it used to be and it is much easier to get to the higher levels without much in the way of being pk'd. The lower level areas are for the most part empty from what I see.

I remember when I hit 30 and a bunch of RQ 8x - 9x's would grief me. b:angry Then the whole ShortBus saga, RedHawk saga, and so on and so forth.... I can recall Heaven's Tear being a "you will die so get ready" kinda thing.

Oh and to answer your question....

PvE servers - characters can choose when they want to PK. It's a lot harder to RPK on a PvE server just because most people will not be in PvP mode.

PvP servers - a lot of players have no morals and will gank you, grief you, and pwn you. Level doesn't matter, if you are able to be attacked you will be.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    There really is no big difference in otherwords.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    Options
    There really is no big difference in otherwords.

Actually there is a VERY big difference between the two types.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    Options
    The only big difference is you can be ganked after 30 by lvl 80 which shows no sign of skill.It also shows no respect of other players at that lvl.It is unbalanced in that way I believe in more balanced pvp game.

I like the pve in this game but the pvp needs balancing.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    Options
    The only big difference is you can be ganked after 30 by lvl 80 which shows no sign of skill.It also shows no respect of other players at that lvl.It is unbalanced in that way I believe in more balanced pvp game.

I am not disagreeing with you on that, but to say there is no difference really? Take out the skill factor, that is an entirely different discussion.

PvP = kill and be killed whenever at level 30 with no choice
    PvE = you have a choice

That is a major difference in my eyes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• /Radar/ - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    Options

the pvp in this game is VERY balanced

welcome to open pvp
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- retired 11/06/09
  • Morganna - Lost City
    Morganna - Lost City Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    On the PvE servers, I've heard that being white will make you get pk'd a lot. Is that true? I wish these servers were all set up my the MY servers-- all of them pvp, so the pvp isn't concentrated on one server and people can choose whether or not they want to pvp without singling themselves out as 'carebears' or the like. It'd be nice to play with some 'carebears' every now and again without have to re-roll.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Your multi-tasking, Stephanie, is EPIC." --Aadi
    --DISCLAIMER--"the precceding post is only the opinion of Morganna and is not placing blame or accusation on anyone or anything" THANK YOU Xeian <3
  • /Radar/ - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    Options
    On the PvE servers, I've heard that being white will make you get pk'd a lot. Is that true? I wish these servers were all set up my the MY servers-- all of them pvp, so the pvp isn't concentrated on one server and people can choose whether or not they want to pvp without singling themselves out as 'carebears' or the like. It'd be nice to play with some 'carebears' every now and again without have to re-roll.

<--- is carebear.... b:sweat

and yes, it is true. on pve servers, if you go whitename, it means you WANT to pk, therefore there is no law. no matter what you are doing, you are open game. you can be the healer in a party for a world boss, if youre whitename, you are open game, regardless of the fact that it would wipe the world boss party
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- retired 11/06/09
  • Enzio - Heavens Tear
    Enzio - Heavens Tear Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    PvE only people that PK is the ones 80+. And they will kill anyone that is lvl 30-60. Anyone their lvl they run from them like little cowards. Only big when messing with the low lvls. I don't PK I find it pointless on a PvE server. That is just my opinion.
    Why is the Rum gone? TELL ME NOW OR I WILL EAT YOUb:angry
  • ChaoticTears - Harshlands
    ChaoticTears - Harshlands Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Differance between PvP and PvE servers hmmmmmm

PvP servers QQ more in forums about being pked than those on PvE servers do.
  • Morganna - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Differance between PvP and PvE servers hmmmmmm

PvP servers QQ more in forums about being pked than those on PvE servers do.

People on PvP servers get into it not knowing what's going on. Let me give you a hint of what my lowbies go through every day (by my lowbies, I mean those in my guild, lvs 30-40). They are constantly targeted by not only people their level (this is fair) but also 8x and sometimes 9x players who just want their pk count up. So they kill as many as fast as they can. This means that when they play, they die upwards of 20 times in an hour, depending on where they are, what time of day it is, the weekday, etc. The highest I remember is somewhere around 30 times in an hour. The lowest around 5. They never really get to get into anything and they don't know how to hide.

Tell me, if you had gotten yourself into that without knowing, would you be happy?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    --DISCLAIMER--"the precceding post is only the opinion of Morganna and is not placing blame or accusation on anyone or anything" THANK YOU Xeian <3
  • Aquilonian - Dreamweaver
    Aquilonian - Dreamweaver Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    If you wanna PK OP dont come to this server. Its a sad state of affairs. During my short 40 hour try at PvP I got ambushed only 10 times. All of the other players 90+. I got killed twice and the rest ran like mad, and/or disconnected (must have been alot of bad connections b:chuckle ). Freaking lame, real crippled.

If you wanna PK go with the pros at a PvP server. I didn't like it, and I think I would still choose PvE any day regardless of how good my experince would have been. If you want to "beat" the game go PvE.

just my 2 cents, your milage may vary.
    "Let's all be reasonable here. PWI hasn't fully kept their word about anything since the "Permanent" Charm Packs. This is just another example. We should be used to it by now." -Isala
  • Rockstare - Heavens Tear
    Rockstare - Heavens Tear Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Well, there you got your answers to the question.

On a sidenote, I would like to have PvE server be Default PK enabled with the option to turn PK mode off when logged or something like that..

Having the mode thing be other way around kinda.

Would be cool to get question when u log in: "Want to go bluename? b:pleased"

That might solve the problem of small amount of (unfair?) pk activity (out of TW). But still every carebear could automatically allways click, "Yes, carebear mode plz" :)
  • rsin
    rsin Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Pvp compared to pve at times may seem very unbalanced. Especially if you are on the losing end of the battle. But pvp is like all out war. No age limits or level restrictions other than the lv30 part of it. It does seem unfair for a lv80 to gank a lv30. But if you compare it to real world wars, some countries may have stronger military force. Some may choose to nuke while others may not even have nuclear capabilities. The stronger force will always win. Balance doesnt exist and never will in those situations. Its like telling a country with armor tanks that it is forbidden or against the rules to attack a smaller country because they dont have tanks at all. That would never work. Imo on a pvp server once you reach lv30 you are considered fair game. If you cant accept that then choose pve instead. I think choosing when to kill or be killed is the real inbalance.
  • ibombjoo
    ibombjoo Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    This should be moved to "PvP Ponderings"...that is all.
  • AinaMizuako - Sanctuary
    AinaMizuako - Sanctuary Posts: 1,041 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    PvP Servers: Mass of drama and QQing about getting ganked, killed by level 8xs
    PvE Servers: Tea-parties with biscuits.

Personally, I'm rolling Assassin on LC when the expansion comes out. b:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    oh look, i'm inactive again.

b> leviciti b:cry
  • Morganna - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    Options
    PvP Servers: Mass of drama and QQing about getting ganked, killed by level 8xs
    PvE Servers: Tea-parties with biscuits.

Personally, I'm rolling Assassin on LC when the expansion comes out. b:dirty

If you have a choice, roll HL. The ping is a lot less, so the lag must be better, right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ibombjoo
    edited October 2009
    Options
    If you have a choice, roll HL. The ping is a lot less, so the lag must be better, right?

You're dumb.
  • Morganna - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    Options
    ibombjoo wrote: »
    You're dumb.

lmao. Fail troll fails.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ibombjoo
    edited October 2009
    Options
    lmao. Fail troll fails.

It obviously succeeded since you quoted it.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    Options
    the pvp in this game is VERY balanced

welcome to open pvp

It is not balanced in terms of levels,attributes and leveled skills.
  • Enzio - Heavens Tear
    Enzio - Heavens Tear Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options

Not really, we get huge lag spikes. Also the server status is always high from people being on all the time. That deals more lag than needed.
    Why is the Rum gone? TELL ME NOW OR I WILL EAT YOUb:angry
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options

the ping also has a lot to due to distance from the servers. Being that I live in CA (by the west coast servers) my ping shows..
    LC(west) - 32
    Harsh(east) - 78
    Dream(east) - 94
    Sanc(west) - 32
    HT(west) - 31

If you were strictly basing your opinion on ping, it would depend on where you live :P
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Devilmaycare - Harshlands
    Devilmaycare - Harshlands Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I think the PvP system is mostly balenced..... open PK is the way to go.... but i think the item drop system needs some work.

Here's what i'd love to see

White named players can not drop gear they are wearing, but may drop a random item from thier backpack if killed

Pink named players, same rules apply as white name

Orange named players, cannot drop gear they are wearing, however are more likely to drop more gear from backpack than white or pink named players.... this ensures a couple freebee kills

Red named players, will drop ALL items from thier backpack, and have the chance to randomly drop a piece of gear they are wearing.

NO MORE GUARDIAN scrolls!!! If you go red and you die, you stand the chance of losing gear PERIOD!

The above system is actually modeled on one of the most successfull and popular PvP games ever created, and it just friggen WORKS!
  • Taurzo - Lost City
    Taurzo - Lost City Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Haha I love it.

PvP servers represent reality; you can be ganked at any moment. A game where you can just turn off the PK is like playing a console game. PvP servers require you to get skilled with your character or get PWN'D. Yeah you will hate the server if you only level your character to 40 because level 80's from RQ will one shot you. But that's what makes leveling to a high level much more rewarding.

On a PvP server you MUST HAVE good gear and you MUST HAVE skill otherwise you will get reminded of your fail EVERYTIME you play. Most of the people I know that couldn't handle PvP went to Sanctuary >.> Not to knock on the PvE players, because I'm sure many of you are skilled it's just that in a PvE server environment you can ignore PvP and never have to learn combos and the like with your character.

PvP is a lot different than PvE. End of story.
  • $Crash$ - Harshlands
    $Crash$ - Harshlands Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I played Perfect World MY a lot, reached lvl 90 ....

Here is how it works,

- once you get lvl 30 + your name is white and you can get pk and pk any other lvl 30+ players.

- If you pk a White named players, and you do kill him, your name goes orange ...the more players you kill, the more red your name gets.

- Having an orange to blood red name means you can drop items when you get pk by other players.. YOUR items. The more red your name is, the more chance you have to drop your items if you get kill by another players.

- PKs gets your name more and more red... also each kills gives you a 4 hours debuff ... ( the debuff is the your name.. in red, and makes you drop items if you get pk. )

Dolls, wich are items you can buy from item mall, can reduce chances of droping items, sometimes, even when I had a doll in my backpack, I still droped an item from my backpack ... like a hierogram :(

- So let's make an exemple:

- I'm a lvl 70 and my name is white .. I go around and the guy keep Kill stealing me ... his name is white too and he's lvl 67 ( red names for 4 hours each kill for any PK, whatever their lvl is. )

- I attack him !

- Both our names goes pink ( in combat vs another player ) fight end, I killed the guy .. My name is now orange, and It will stay the same color for the next 4 hours, then it will come back to white.

- If I kill another player 2 hours after that incident, My name will get more red, and another 4 hours debuff will be add to the 2 hours left I got from killing the first player. I have more chance to drop an item if I get pk now.

So in Perfect World MY, it's not worth it to go around and pk everyone for fun, you'll get a red name and people will hunt you down to make you drop items. But, if you argue with someone and your just tired of his stupid ****, you can go ahead and kill him.

If you attack and kill someone that has a PK debuff ( orange to blood red name ) you WONT get a debuff b:laugh Your name will go pink during the fight... and after you kill him, your name will stay pink for around 30 secs and then go back to white.

Is there one of the 2 kind of servers in Perfect World Int'l that has the same system ?

If not, then it's a big fail cause Perfect World was never meant to be played another way.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Many may not like the idea of the pve servers however its very clear which one is more popular.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91