Mana useage on Rebirth

Fyrelyte - Sanctuary
Fyrelyte - Sanctuary Posts: 62 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Archer
I know that archers use a lot of mana in RB Gamma, so much so that we usually need an MP charm (the alternate route being MP food). However, I wanted to know if anyone has ever tried and tested this out:

Using the apoth powder Concentrate Orb (or Renewal Orb).
It ups your mana rate to 100 per second. Barrage, at lvl 7, uses 480 mana ever 3 seconds. So, with the orb, you have 180 mana left over, not being regenerated fast enough. Some, if not all of this, is regenerated by the MP aura set up at the very beginning, followed by lvl 2 a little while after. Obviously, you'll have to make sure you MP stays up by MP food or pots... but will this suffice?

The lvl 80 mp pot restores 1950 MP over 10 seconds (lvl 70 being 1600 MP, which is probably still sufficient), after which you can use it again. At least for me, my mana pool is at 1980, so that works out almost perfectly with the Concentrate Orb + Aura. Plus, if you divide the 1980 by 180, you're left with 11. So, every 3 seconds, 180 mana is depleted and after 33 seconds, I would be at zero, which is more than enough time for the pot/food to refresh and the aura to tick again.

Soooo, my ultimate questions: Will this work? Has anyone ever tried this?

If I ever get lucky enough to catch a "Training" RB run and my MP charm has been used up, I'll probably try it, but I've yet to work up the nerve to actually try it with an actual run.

Thanks in advance. ^^
"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."
-Neurosis

"An interesting concept. Perhaps we should ask an archer. They seem to be the math wizs here."
-SaberArturia
Quoted for truth. b:victory
Post edited by Fyrelyte - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Mana regeneration is halved during combat. This includes apothecary items.

Apocathery?
    Acopathery?
    Athocapary?
    Athopacery?
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    You could try not barraging until the bulk of the wave comes, maybe cast something like sharpened tooth on the first stragglers. Ive seen that done, and it works just fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Caldaster - Lost City
    Caldaster - Lost City Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    i have done rb's with barrage 8 and mana 2 ... i had no problem with mana dropping way below ... if u feel it is so ask you team for mana 3 and try and get a +mana/magic belt like me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Poor thing ... lucky me b:victory
  • Devoted - Lost City
    Devoted - Lost City Posts: 3,634 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    pointless because the mana aura will overlap the pharm and remove it.
  • Elviron - Dreamweaver
    Elviron - Dreamweaver Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    However I do believe that theres another apoth pot that regens like 9k mp over 30 secs and i guess the lower version gets u somewhere like 3k over 30 secs. Might be useful when ur mana pots are in cooldown while in a RB.
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    However I do believe that theres another apoth pot that regens like 9k mp over 30 secs and i guess the lower version gets u somewhere like 3k over 30 secs. Might be useful when ur mana pots are in cooldown while in a RB.

I believe there's 3,000, 6,000 and 9,000 mana.
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    pointless because the mana aura will overlap the pharm and remove it.

I think the aura uses a different buff and doesn't overbuff regen.

Really I think that regeneration is cut by 75% during combat and not 50%.
    This means a +100 Mp/s regen is getting you 25mp/s.

Over 3 second this gives you 75MP which is about 16% of what barrage lvl 7 uses. That helps some. The actual amount will be a bit less if you are charmed since the regen that occurs with full mana is wasted.

I know Mana 2 aura is all you need to keep up lvl 10 barrage. For demon barrage you need mana 3 aura though even pots are enough to keep this up with no charm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Fyrelyte - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    Oh, okay I completely forgot about mana regen, even with powders on, being cut to 25% while in combat. Damn, there goes my "cutting costs theory."

I guess it does help preserve your charm a little bit, so I suppose that counts for something. I'm just a little worried with using the MP foods as, say I could not click on time or lag a bit, and then barrage goes poof! and then squad mates go "wtfb:angry" and chaos ensues... >.>

But anyways, thanks for the responses!
    -Neurosis

"An interesting concept. Perhaps we should ask an archer. They seem to be the math wizs here."
    -SaberArturia
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Oh, okay I completely forgot about mana regen, even with powders on, being cut to 25% while in combat. Damn, there goes my "cutting costs theory."

I guess it does help preserve your charm a little bit, so I suppose that counts for something. I'm just a little worried with using the MP foods as, say I could not click on time or lag a bit, and then barrage goes poof! and then squad mates go "wtfb:angry" and chaos ensues... >.>

But anyways, thanks for the responses!

The idea of using the food isn't to use it the last second you need it, but a few seconds or so before. That way, you have time if you lag. That's how I do it with BB anyway b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Fyrelyte - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    Oh well, yeah, but how often does it need to be clicked? Every 5 seconds? 10?

I've never actually used MP food, so I know pretty much nothing about it... like what the cool down rate it.

So, I guess, does anyone know how often MP food must be 'eaten' whilst during barrage (preferably level 7)? And, adding onto that, how often when level 1, and then level 2, mana aura in RB are activated?
    -Neurosis

-SaberArturia
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I know a few people that do gamma with BoA level 9 without an mp charm. They just use a few mp food when mana level 1, then its pretty much covered when mana is level 2.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Kasumi - Dreamweaver
    Kasumi - Dreamweaver Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Oh well, yeah, but how often does it need to be clicked? Every 5 seconds? 10?

I've never actually used MP food, so I know pretty much nothing about it... like what the cool down rate it.

So, I guess, does anyone know how often MP food must be 'eaten' whilst during barrage (preferably level 7)? And, adding onto that, how often when level 1, and then level 2, mana aura in RB are activated?

I have BOA 10 and I just use mp food every time cooldown is finished, I only use it for the first stage of delta then mp lvl 2 aura would take over on stage 2.
    Calamity
    Regenesis
    o_o.com

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠
  • LiQuidSiLveR - Sanctuary
    LiQuidSiLveR - Sanctuary Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    You might need mana 2. that should be possible in gamma.
    Lv2 Mana + 2,2k Mana works fine with Lv10 Barrage
    Lv3 Mana for Demon/Sage

But dont waste a MP charm. Just use pots if you dont have mana 2 =P
  • Aldryami - Sanctuary
    Aldryami - Sanctuary Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    For Rebirth Gamma I tell the party that I will only come if a mana 2 aura is set up before any other aura. If you learn your role well and If you max barrage for your level (level 9 for me) then the party is usually happy with this since they see how quickly you decimate the waves (double wave? what double wave?).
    Mana Aura 2 easily maintains uncharmed level 9 barrage if you use some gear with mp bonuses (helmet and cloak). Also you will need a bit of mp food to keep you going until the auras are up.
    If the barb complains about mana 2 being prioritised I offer him half his charm costs. Then most people are happy and it's alot cheaper than the archer burning up one whole gold charm per gamma.

Anyway, if you learn your role well, you will find people seeking you out for Rebirth runs and usually they are happy to make things less costly for you.