How do I beat archers?

Options
Bellarius - Lost City
Bellarius - Lost City Posts: 9 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Wizard
Ok I'm a little ashamed to admit that my mage char dies to archers almost 99% of the time, even when I get the first hit.

If I attack them they will just drop, and I have no real way to prevent it. Then they fly back up, stun me, and usually by then I'll be dead 1-2 seconds after the stun wears off. It really seems as if archers do more damage than mages, even though we have to deal with less defense and lower hp.

Our force of will vs archer's stun? It takes us 2 seconds to cast, does no damage, and they can still move around and drop while under the seal. They can cast their stun and start shooting after < 2 seconds, and it does insane damage along with the stun. I just can't beat it :(

Any advice would be appreciated.
Post edited by Bellarius - Lost City on

Comments

• RainieYang - Harshlands
    RainieYang - Harshlands Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Ok I'm a little ashamed to admit that my mage char dies to archers almost 99% of the time, even when I get the first hit.
    Use sutra if you think you can kill the archer in 4-5 hits. Be sure to use undine if you're 79+ and have the skill or just use the genie skill extreme poison.
    If I attack them they will just drop, and I have no real way to prevent it.
    Why are you attacking archers long range in the air?
    Then they fly back up, stun me, and usually by then I'll be dead 1-2 seconds after the stun wears off.
    Why don't you fly away? Use distance shrink and if you're still alive after the stun, immediately use FoW.
    It really seems as if archers do more damage than mages, even though we have to deal with less defense and lower hp.
    At low levels with arcane gear archers will always rip you like paper. Make sure you have stone barrier up to double your pdef. When dealing with archers, you want to get very close to them, which is basically going past their minimum range. Once you're close to them, archers do half damage to you. Use distance shrink and holy path to get inside.
    Our force of will vs archer's stun? It takes us 2 seconds to cast, does no damage, and they can still move around and drop while under the seal.
    Level up your force of will. If you're 79+, sleep also helps.

Basically until 80+ (preferably 90+), wizards aren't that great for pking archers unless you have some really nice sharded and refined gear. Hope the info helped.
  • /Groovy/ - Harshlands
    /Groovy/ - Harshlands Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Archers are tough opponents 1vs1 until you get lvl 79 skills - sleep and Undine Strike.

Before you get this two we can't really stand a chance against *good* archer. All he needs to do is to stun you, place few shots, use Winged Shell when stun wears off and finish the job without you even hitting him much -_-

Against *bad* archer I would recommend: Sandstorm + genie skill Blinding Sand (if you have it) to greatly decrease his accuracy. Then Distance Shrink forward and stand near him (he will deal only 50% damage). Fast Gush to make sure he won't run far away. Tick his charm with fast skills and then Extreme Poison + Sutra (inculde Sandstorm in Sutra combo, just in case).

Edit: RainieYang ninja'd me :P
    Packs World International
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    The higher you get the easier it will become. At 9x... I can one shot most archers and 2 shot the really good ones (without crit). When you find an archer, you can distance shrink up, and depending on their gear and hp etc... FoW -> undine -> extreme poison (maybe add in a WotP or gush if their hp is really high) -> sleep -> BIDS. Almost always does the trick. The BIDS generally hits somewhere between 5k and 7k with poison and undine. Obviously this won't work on one that is prepared (uses absolute domain or wind shield while BIDS is coming down, or pk pots), kinda just depends on who you are fighting. Usually after the first couple times they figure it out and find some way to stop it... and you'd need to come up with something else (I'd probably drop or holy path or blink away just so I have at least enough time for FoW to cooldown). Sutra works wonders after a FoW (or before) or a sutra -> FoW -> ult works nice... you have alot of options :P Anyway, the point is, before 8x... archers would **** me, and 8x it was pretty equal, and at 9x... I do really well against archers.
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • ChatX - Heavens Tear
    ChatX - Heavens Tear Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I know what you mean...I hate fighting archers. At lower lvls, they will beat wizzies 99% of the time. When you get to 90 that will all change. TT90 made a significant difference for me as an arcane wiz. Im not much of a 1v1 duel type of wiz, but i can handle well against them when i do. I never really went pking till i hit 90. Force of Will and Spoforic Whisper works well against them or anyone now. Gives time to Undine then Nuke the hell out of em.
  • Bellarius - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    Options
    For BIDS...it takes 4 seconds to channel, 1.8 seconds to cast...sleep lasts 4 seconds...so wouldn't that mean the archer has ~1 second or so to just drop and avoid half the damage?

Anyway so the gist of all this is that I shouldn't fight archers in the air? Mages just don't do well in air battles i suppose :/
  • Ty - Heavens Tear
    Ty - Heavens Tear Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    For BIDS...it takes 4 seconds to channel, 1.8 seconds to cast...sleep lasts 4 seconds...so wouldn't that mean the archer has ~1 second or so to just drop and avoid half the damage?

Anyway so the gist of all this is that I shouldn't fight archers in the air? Mages just don't do well in air battles i suppose :/

Once the spell has been cast it's all over unless the archer can 1 shot you after you've fired off your skill. You'll need to learn what it takes to kill each class, an archer for example should die after gush->sleep->ice dragon. Bypassing charms is what you need to aim for.

For aerial fights you need to master shrink, accelerate and dismounting/remounting your aerogear.

Regarding Force of Will; if it's not level 10 it's really not that useful in 1v1 situations unless you've managed to slip it in just before a long channeling skill has fired. Basically the 1.5 sec cast time is what you have to work past, and until your seal period exceeds the cast time you wont be able to use it to it's full advantage. It starts getting useful at around lvl 7 onwards in PvP (unless your saving someone else's ****) at lvl 10 it can give you enough time to get off a Sandstorm or Glacial Snare.
    I like pie
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    Options

thats a good point, although for some reason it doesn't work out like that. Probably because of lag or whatever, I've always hit people with dragon... never once have they gotten a hit off on me (or even moved for that matter) or dropped etc. Dunno exactly why that is, but thats been my experience.
  • RainieYang - Harshlands
    RainieYang - Harshlands Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options

It takes about half a second due to delay in order to start dropping and even then the BID should still be in range since it's in the middle of its casting animation. Also, 1 second isn't enough for an archer to launch a stun since their skills also have channeling and casting time.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    Options
    It takes about half a second due to delay in order to start dropping and even then the BID should still be in range since it's in the middle of its casting animation. Also, 1 second isn't enough for an archer to launch a stun since their skills also have channeling and casting time.

if they started dropping u'd do half dmg
  • mazzle
    mazzle Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Archers have a skill that makes them immune to sleep.. quite annoying, if you see his shield on along with wings of grace, seal them followed by gush to remove the shell and ds/holypath away since it only lasts 15 sec so you just gotta stay away until then, then simply ds back right next to him and sleep quickly before he can stun you, then you just gotta sutra your combo on him.

Note you dont need to do this if you can survive hits after being stun and im sure other players have other ways of dealing with archers but that one works for me, let them QQ about you running and w/e, as long as you **** his ****.
  • Taurzo - Lost City
    Taurzo - Lost City Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Yeah I have a difficult time with archers myself. Their crit rates are insane high and practically every hit or every other hit will crit. Stack that on top of the fact that they do lots of damage with regular Pew Pew attacks and you're looking at some trouble.

Wings of Grace is their skill that prevents them from the movement debuffs (ie sleep, stun) and their skill Winged Shell is the damage absorption skill. Furthermore, Winged Blessing gives them an added 10 - 14 meter distance on their ranged attacks (depending on if they're 89+ and if they've gone sage or demon).

Just curious as to more ideas pertaining to how to **** this class xP.

Like mazzle stated using a quick skill to bust the shield is nice. One quick skill like gush aught to do it. Don't try to sleep them right away because Wings of Grace will resist it. They usually run away from you when you silence them because they want to get out of your range while keeping you in theirs.
  • mazzle
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Yeah I have a difficult time with archers myself. Their crit rates are insane high and practically every hit or every other hit will crit. Stack that on top of the fact that they do lots of damage with regular Pew Pew attacks and you're looking at some trouble.

I'm wanting to know how you all beat an EA in a duel.

I've noticed in duels most EA's cast Winged Shell [damage absorption] (the purple smoke that floats around them) right before the start and then they cast Wings of Grace [movement debuff immunity] (the super bright white wings that appear behind them). They also have a skill called Winged Blessing which gives them anywhere from 1 - 14 meters added distance on their ranged attacks.

How do you exploit these skills in a duel with EA's?

Get some range before duel starts, seal then gush and distance shrink away like i said before, those skills dont have long duration, you're also gona probably need holy path if he has it, by the time that's over with your fow should of cooldown already, ds back next to him seal debuff sleep mountain seize then finish up, thats how i deal with them in duels if anyone else got a better idea post it.

I guess you can also activate anti stun spell from genie(ex: Fortify will make you immune to stun for 5 seconds and reduce magic defence by XX%) becaues the stun is really what ****s you in a duel, absolute domain will be usefull there too.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Wings of grace has a long casting time animation... honestly if an archer uses it just blink out of range and run around till it's gone. Let them waste that spark, in my opinion there's no point in trying to kill them when they do full damage and you do 70%.

And personally, I'd say always fight on the ground when fighting archers, makes it much easier to get in their face, which is where you want to be if not out of their range. You're going to be using almost every skill you have, so... can't really tell you how.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • drag0nball
    drag0nball Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Well I dunno...your from Lost City you know better.
    But I like to share My experience to. i dueled archers many time.. I don't have shards or anything just legendary stuffs and I am lvl 88. And it was easy to defeat an archer in combat. All I had to do was to be faster...If I got 299 chi I won easily against good archers. I just need 2 hits and thats all. SOmetimes I even don't use sutra to have a bit of a challenge. If u are near the archer hehits less damage to you and u can use Will of Phoenix. But yeah that works mostly in duels.. in PK the archer is far.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    as a wizard-
    - under lvl 77 you're going to be **** on 1v1.
    - under lvl 90 is difficult unless u have some +4 gear all 4 sockets with pdef/HP and some nice pdef necklace and pdef belt. A pdef + HP + refine hat and a + HP cape + refine + HP shards on soket... Basically if youre geared out well, you can stand an archer your lvl as an arcane, no problem. With above stuff I had 6k pdef in the 80s (full buffed),5k pdef with cleric buffs, never had issues with archers. I wasnt' **** them, but I wasn't **** by them. I was killed more often by BMs stun-locking me than archers.
    - after 90 when u get the TT90 set refined and sharded and TT90 (or FC) weapon to a +5 +6 archers same lvl should not be a problem at all ( well, unless he has a +10 crossbow or somethin', then his hits will really hurt, but we're trying to compare equally refined chars no nonCS vs CS). Usually archers my lvl are down with SR(charm tick)-seal-undine or posion-gush-pyro.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mazzle
    edited October 2009
    Options
    When I last checked, duels would end in a draw before you could get out of archer range. (But this was months ago, and maybe they changed that?)

Anyways, my tip for beating archers would be: do not fight archers when they have 30+ levels on you.

b:victory

did you actually read the entire post?

and ursa that will not work if the archer put his buffs on.
  • mazzle
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Ok, I really have to ask: was there anything in that post worth reading?

If we ignore how silly duels are, in a wizard/archer duel, I would think you want to stand next to the archer so they get half damage with their normal attacks and some of their skills. Alternatively, you can run out of your opponent's range and end your duel in a draw, but if you do that you will not be using any additional attacks.

Or, maybe my dueling experience is woefully out-of-date and you can now get out of range of an archer's attacks (assuming level 10-ish winged blessing) without ending your duel? If so, then ... yes, I would have been spouting nonsense. But I asked if anyone had any experience with this issue and so far no one has suggested that they have had experiences which differ from mine.

Its fine that you're naive so il explain what you couldnt understand, there isnt anything in my post that said to get out of the archers range in the beginning of the duel, i simply said get range so after you seal him and take his shell off you can ds far enough to avoid his stun,getting out of oponents range when duel starts does not end it the duel, he will then chase you so you just need to avoid him until his buff (wing of grace) is off, then simply distance shrink right towards him ( since he's chasing you would most likely end up within the dmg reduction range ) after which you sleep/ mountain seize and finish him off. do i need to explain it in more details for you? and duels take a bit more strategy than normal pk to be successfull in it, thats why a lot of mages fail at it, you simply have to think.

ps i have done this several times against archers and it worked that's the only reason why i posted it.
  • BrownflameZ - Lost City
    BrownflameZ - Lost City Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Always try to bypass hiero, their mdef isn't that great and you don't have time to sit around ticking hiero's with them crittiing you like crazy every other second. I usually just gush, triple spark (occult Ice while triple sparking to hold them still), then undine.. sleep .. poison and sandstorm. If I triple spark before gushing for w.e reason i usually pitfall to lower their hp.. sinse tirple spark gush ticks most EA's charm -.- .

I can't remember the last time I fought a EA without triple spark 1v1, so don't ask me what I'll do otherwise. But i guess worst case scenario, sutra them after charm tick.
  • mazzle
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Ok. That is interesting, to me -- that getting out of an archer's range does not end the duel.

(I wonder when that change went in?)

you need to be a certain distance from the person your dueling for it to end and there is enough range to run around out of the archers range without ending the duel in draw, especially if he's chasing you so go test it yourself.
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    In duels: FoW at the start (It's faster then archer stuns from what i've seen (O.o), Sutra, SS, D pyro, Gush (Optional SR if they survive) = dead archer.
    working so far for me. (O.o)
    the 2 easiest classes for me to kill right now are BMs and Archers.
    xD
    yay~
    It be more about who attacks first lol. and if they drop down so what? (O.o) just fly away while they're falling... unless they have a faster fly mount then you. b:shocked
    Then you be the screwed.
    (>.<)

O also if you be dueling against archers make sure you start closer to them. (^.^) some of your skills have less range. (>.<)
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    i will take your word that duels now work like this.

however, when I fight archers, i usually try and get close to them. I have only died to archers when I was not close to them. (They have some decent close range skills, but so do I.)

or, if I do not want to fight them, i leave.

And, Hamsta, you have several ways of getting away from archers that fly faster than you: distance shrink, sutra town portal, and non-combat exit (but i think you should reserve this one for twits that massively outlevel you).

(O.o) yar I do all those and then some.
    xD
    if you be over a body of water you can even drop into it and swim down.
    (^.^) we're faster then everyone (except barbs I guess) under water.
    xD I wuv distance shrink.

(>.<) just need to get me underwater aerosword working right.

http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/large/e0e9a23b8bd631901942a621f042ec3a431d9d53.jpg
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mazzle
    edited October 2009
    Options
    In duels: FoW at the start (It's faster then archer stuns from what i've seen (O.o), Sutra, SS, D pyro, Gush (Optional SR if they survive) = dead archer.
    working so far for me. (O.o)
    the 2 easiest classes for me to kill right now are BMs and Archers.
    xD
    yay~
    It be more about who attacks first lol. and if they drop down so what? (O.o) just fly away while they're falling... unless they have a faster fly mount then you. b:shocked
    Then you be the screwed.
    (>.<)

O also if you be dueling against archers make sure you start closer to them. (^.^) some of your skills have less range. (>.<)

keep fighting noob archers without buff
  • Bellarius - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Well thank you all for your replies, the advice from the higher lvl 90+ mages has particularly helped, so thanks again :)

But just for the record I wasn't talking about duels just world pvp, where they are usually charmed. I mean come on if I get the jump on an uncharmed archer in world pvp and still lose I would uninstall perfect world..b:shocked