Axes or Blades?

AgileBladez - Lost City
AgileBladez - Lost City Posts: 17 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Blademaster
I'm new so i'm not really sure which set of weapons i would prefer. I want to be an AoE blademaster so i'm wondering which weapon is better? In addition, which is better for pvp?

Right now i have blades and i like the speed but my damage isn't that impressive, i'm considering changing to axes, but again i'm not sure. Help!
Post edited by AgileBladez - Lost City on

Comments

• Kniraven - Lost City
    Kniraven - Lost City Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I'm new so i'm not really sure which set of weapons i would prefer. I want to be an AoE blademaster so i'm wondering which weapon is better? In addition, which is better for pvp?

Right now i have blades and i like the speed but my damage isn't that impressive, i'm considering changing to axes, but again i'm not sure. Help!

Axes are a lot better for AoE; and for TW when you get to a higher level. Swords are an awesome 1 vs 1 weapon. They aren't good for AoE at all.
    By the way, I am a sword BM. =P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AgileBladez - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    Axes are a lot better for AoE; and for TW when you get to a higher level. Swords are an awesome 1 vs 1 weapon. They aren't good for AoE at all.
    By the way, I am a sword BM. =P

Oh ok. Well the thing is i don't like being slow, so i'm stuck. And i'm guessing blades are just as bad for AoE?

Should i use axes for lvling and blades for pvp? Idk =/
  • prof
    prof Posts: 1,111
    edited October 2009
    axes for mass aoe. you will need a 2nd weapon to aoe to chain it properly. when I use to aoe grind I would use my 3 aoes, switch to fist and cyclone heel, then switch back. provided enough damage/time to continue attacking. the best 1v1 weapon, as well as an all around better dps weapon, is the fist/claw. though fist require far more knowledge in this game than what.. most of these forumers have yet to grasp. pick up some fist at 85 and you'll be moving right on your way.

the upside to using fist is you only have to level 1 fist skill: cyclone heel. the level 49 skill. and it's not even useful until you get -interval gear and level 10 of it, so it can easily be left behind your axe aoes(as well as other important skills, like sutras/heal/stun). it's a cheaper, but far more efficient way to level and pvp.
  • AgileBladez - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    I'm not a fan of claws. But alright, i guess i'll switch to Axes, the slow speed is gonna be annoying =(
  • Naevo - Lost City
    Naevo - Lost City Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    BOTH b:dirty
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    Oh ok. Well the thing is i don't like being slow, so i'm stuck. And i'm guessing blades are just as bad for AoE?

Should i use axes for lvling and blades for pvp? Idk =/

Oh well there is a third option. Polearms are quicker than axes and also are good for AoE. Only difference is you have to line up your mobs since it attacks in front of you as opposed to in a radius.

I hear they are pretty good for PvP as well (They are the weapon I use least).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cernunnosx - Heavens Tear
    Cernunnosx - Heavens Tear Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    BOTH b:dirty

This ^^

Blades are more consistant DPS while axes are more spike dmg.

So have a set of axes for aoe grinding and swords for 1 v 1/tanking/bosses etc.

TBH should really have a set of all weapons, since the multiple paths give you a wider range of options for any situation
  • Kyree - Dreamweaver
    Kyree - Dreamweaver Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Cern that can lower your overall power cause,yes you have more range but Way lower power from lack of being able to level up your skills from lack of spirit and coin
    b:victory Proud Member of Equinox b:dirty
  • Cernunnosx - Heavens Tear
    Cernunnosx - Heavens Tear Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Cern that can lower your overall power cause,yes you have more range but Way lower power from lack of being able to level up your skills from lack of spirit and coin

At lower levels yes, but certain path skills such as shadowkick you only need lvl 1 to get the benifit.

At level 93 my Level 10 skills are as follows:

Axe/Sword/Pole mastery
    Heavens Flame
    Myriad sword stance
    Glacial spike
    Drakes Bash
    Drakes Ray
    Spirit chaser
    Alter marrows
    Fissure
    Highland cleave
    Aeolian blade
    Drake sweep
    Golden bell
    Diamond sutra
    Piercing winds
    Farestrike
    Cloud sprint
    Draw blood + Demon
    Roar of the Pride + Demon

The other skills have been put on hold atm, since I have the spirit saved for when I can get my hands on more Demon books
  • Hippie - Harshlands
    Hippie - Harshlands Posts: 515 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    axe into ur elft hand and a sword into ur right hand. tricky to equip, but works.
    Nullum crimen sine lege.
  • Swdgy - Heavens Tear
    Swdgy - Heavens Tear Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    axe into ur elft hand and a sword into ur right hand. tricky to equip, but works.

2 in each if your using double axes and swords

okay really... axes are wayyyy better than swords at aoe. You won't get to aoe til level like 47 or 70 though. By the way, keep in mind that speed is for normal attacks not skills o.o a [mage heavenly fan of pride stance fissure] from an axe has the same time to use at one from a sword... I think o.o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] yay :) ^.^
    stuffed a bunch of my favorite animes into 1 signature lolz
  • Soujiro_Z - Sanctuary
    Soujiro_Z - Sanctuary Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    axes for aoe n TW
    [SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]
  • Zataka - Lost City
    Zataka - Lost City Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    im building my bm to be a sword and axe bm which i advise to u i havent gotten very far though but it seems like a fun build~Many AOE's with the powerful myriad sword stance as well as increased dexb:victory
  • BerryShock - Lost City
    BerryShock - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Im planning on building as an Axe / Pole Bm and Possibly sword aswell.. but..
    Sword for 1 v 1 sure.. but from wat i can see pole is good for 1 v 1 aswell.. sure the damage isnt great compared to axe but the skill damage does make up for that and if you use them in the right situations it cud really work.. e.g. usin pole on a wiz jumping around the place with distance shrink.. sure u can stun them also but why not just kill them then and there.. ?
  • syckko
    syckko Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    is Pole-Arm good? 4 newbies.
  • Problmatik - Sanctuary
    Problmatik - Sanctuary Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    if you're gonna dual path from the beginning i highly suggest dualing with pole blades and axes, but learn Myriad SwordStance when you get to that lvl, and keep a lowbie sword on your char til you get your 2 sparks...to dual with axes and swords your losing so much vit for dex because of the huge difference of dex req for swords and axes...youd either have to go main path axes and deal with using blades/swords that are like 5-10 lvls below you or just be really squishy with little to no HP....

Def look at Axes/Poleblades for a dual because the dex reqs aren't too extremely different and poleblades are alot better at 1v1 PvP and have stronger skills than swords...(besides Myriad Swordstance)
  • Megan_foxy - Dreamweaver
    Megan_foxy - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    um i think axes are better for lvling because i used blades until lvl 5 and then i got the axe from lvl 5 supply stash and it ruled so i think axes are definately better
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    if you're gonna dual path from the beginning i highly suggest dualing with pole blades and axes, but learn Myriad SwordStance when you get to that lvl, and keep a lowbie sword on your char til you get your 2 sparks...to dual with axes and swords your losing so much vit for dex because of the huge difference of dex req for swords and axes...youd either have to go main path axes and deal with using blades/swords that are like 5-10 lvls below you or just be really squishy with little to no HP....

Def look at Axes/Poleblades for a dual because the dex reqs aren't too extremely different and poleblades are alot better at 1v1 PvP and have stronger skills than swords...(besides Myriad Swordstance)

Until you get to level 77 and get mistys you will not be able to even hit an opposing BM half the time if they are using swords and you are using your vit>dex strategy. Also, 3/4 sword skills hit for more damage than axe skills with their modifier.

1 vs 1 duels, axes are not the way to go at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hippie - Harshlands
    edited October 2009
    axe - best aoe, highest spike dmg, best stun and most strategic ultimate

pole - decent aoe, best ranged attack, worst ultimate

sword - no aoe, decent 1v1, highest stand-alone-damage ultimate

fist - best 1v1, most dps, most chi, useless ultimate
    Nullum crimen sine lege.
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    axe - best aoe, highest spike dmg, best stun and most strategic ultimate

pole - decent aoe, best ranged attack, worst ultimate

sword - no aoe, decent 1v1, highest stand-alone-damage ultimate

fist - best 1v1, most dps, most chi, useless ultimate

What do you mean?

I don't necessarily disagree, but could you explain it to me? Glacial Spike seems pretty awesome to me from the description. I only have it level 1 though.

I don't think they are better than swords 1vs1 to be honest, because they lack range.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hippie - Harshlands
    edited October 2009
    What do you mean?

I don't necessarily disagree, but could you explain it to me? Glacial Spike seems pretty awesome to me from the description. I only have it level 1 though.

I don't think they are better than swords 1vs1 to be honest, because they lack range.

the range difference is very minimal between sword and fist it doesnt matter much, and the DPS is so much more u dont want to know. deicide with stacked interwal and three spark will probably **** even a 9x barb with decent refines

dragon is much, much better for the same thing than glacial, that makes it useless.

dragon combos are the tricks u make the difference with, thats why it is strategic skill, thats what it makes the best ultimate even if it doesnt rly hurt
    Nullum crimen sine lege.
  • Divine_guy - Lost City
    Divine_guy - Lost City Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    1 question what is ultimate?
    and comparing the swords and poles which is the better way?