Best water pet?

Options
Serrinity - Sanctuary
Serrinity - Sanctuary Posts: 41 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Venomancer
I've heard before that Crystalline Magmite is the best land pet and Petite Sawfly is the best air pet, but what about water? I seem to remember something about hearing that there are no good water pets until later levels, but I'm not sure if I'm remembering that right. So what is the best water pet, what level is it, and until I get to that level, what should I use when I have quests that require killing water monsters?
Leader of EdensStar
Post edited by Serrinity - Sanctuary on

Comments

• IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I would suggest one that knows how to swim or you will end up having to rescue your pet while fighting....

Turtle, plumfishes, merpeople, water undines. Not in any special order. Although the turtles are great for pvp, since they are so HUGE, making it very hard for other players to select you.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary
    XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary Posts: 683 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    if you can handle leveling a turtle from lvl 4 i think (i forget what lvl they start).. that will be the best water pet for physical mobs.

If you dont want to do that.. wait till level 80 for the plumpfish and just tame whatever you can that is near your level.
    I was still using a 6x mermaid when i got water quests in my later 7x. The mermaid didnt do much of anything for me besides interrupt spells while i tanked the water mobs, but i guess its better than nothing.
    Q - How to win on Perfect World?
    A - Throw money at it.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I've heard before that Crystalline Magmite is the best land pet

It's slow, interferes with targeting because of it's size, and it has comparatively low mdef. It also holds very little value after you acquire a herc. A ranged pet however can tank World Bosses probably before a Herc can, make excellent lure pets, and are decent for grinding mag and phys. There's many other bosses a ranged pet excels at tanking.
    Petite Sawfly is the best air pet

It's relatively slow and comparable to other air pets with better default skills such as a Goldwing Emporer which also has better mdef.
    So what is the best water pet, what level is it, and until I get to that level, what should I use when I have quests that require killing water monsters?

When asking such a question, you should detail what you feel makes for a "best". Outside of level 84, there aren't really enough underwater quests for most people to care what is best. Mermaids are nice and fast which makes them good for applying debuffs like Howl when fishing, they also are good for grabbing aggro of you or a party mate in an ambush BUT they are fragile. Then there are turtles and plumpfish. The former are bulky and slow, the plumpfish are small and slightly faster. Should I detail every pet?
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Nehemiah - Harshlands
    Nehemiah - Harshlands Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »
    It's slow, interferes with targeting because of it's size, and it has comparatively low mdef. It also holds very little value after you acquire a herc. A ranged pet however can tank World Bosses probably before a Herc can, make excellent lure pets, and are decent for grinding mag and phys. There's many other bosses a ranged pet excels at tanking.

It's relatively slow and comparable to other air pets with better default skills such as a Goldwing Emporer which also has better mdef.

When asking such a question, you should detail what you feel makes for a "best". Outside of level 84, there aren't really enough underwater quests for most people to care what is best. Mermaids are nice and fast which makes them good for applying debuffs like Howl when fishing, they also are good for grabbing aggro of you or a party mate in an ambush BUT they are fragile. Then there are turtles and plumpfish. The former are bulky and slow, the plumpfish are small and slightly faster. Should I detail every pet?

Tweakz please refrain from the eldergoth marksman is better than x, y and z cause it can do a, b, c and d, just answer the OP's question please. It has nothing to do with land or air pets.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Tweakz please refrain from the eldergoth marksman is better than x, y and z cause it can do a, b, c and d, just answer the OP's question please. It has nothing to do with land or air pets.

F* off? b:bye

If they want to spew misinformation, they can stand to be corrected.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Lady_marta - Dreamweaver
    Lady_marta - Dreamweaver Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »
    F* off? b:bye

If they want to spew misinformation, they can stand to be corrected.

So the first two words of the post being "I've heard" is spewing misinformation?

As for water pets, just tame one of your level when you need it. In 21 levels so far, I've had only one underwater quest and, since the mob needed for the quest couldn't hit me for much, I didn't need a pet for it at all. I think the next underwater quest is at...level 34? Something like that. I'll just catch whatever I find in the area and use it until the quest is done then ditch it.

Of course, no one really knows what's going to happen with underwater mobs when the Tideborn areas are released so that may or may not change a few things.
    God of healing, bless those that stand before you...
    Grant me the righteous power to banish evil!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary
    XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary Posts: 683 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    ............................ the marksman makes its appearance in the water pet thread.
    Q - How to win on Perfect World?
    A - Throw money at it.
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    Sevas - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    b:victory Get a friend to help you. Tag teaming with a cleric or wizard is pretty good, between the two of you it will drop fast. Otherwise, get a barb or bm to come tank everything for you.

(Or get a plumpfish if you're in dire straights.)
  • Dandelyn - Heavens Tear
    Dandelyn - Heavens Tear Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I tamed higher level water pets as I leveled rather than leveling up one water pet. As soon as I hit level 80 I got a plumpfish, it's much better than the other water pets I've had because it's faster and has better defense. I'm hoping that when the new expansion comes out there will be another water mob we can tame that is even better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Well,I'll go out on a limb. I actually tamed a level 8 turtle, and used it right up until the mid 50s. (When I switched out to a new bigger turtle) My experience bears out what others are saying - it's an annoying waste of time.

There's several big gaps where you don't have anything of a sensible level to fight and level up your pet with, and skipping over them and taming a new pet from amongst whatever it is you have to fight works well enough.

So yeah. There's really not very much variety in water pets yet, anyway. There's the turtle, two types of mermaid and the plumpfish. That's about it, really. The mermaids (death dancer) are pretty good, but arrive at annoying levels, I found.
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I'm level 70, and still use the Highlands Tortoise I tamed when I first had to do an underwater quest. I got it up to 39 while farming rough fur from planeshark dons (leveling the genie from 19 to 37 at the same time.) Now I help out faction mates with underwater quests in the 50+ range and just yesterday it was able to fight plumpfish adequately at level 47 (it's now 48, since I helped a faction mate with bloodthirsty sharks after finishing the plumpfish quest.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga