Sharpened Tooth Arrow - need more info please

Options
Tutmozis - Harshlands
Tutmozis - Harshlands Posts: 80 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Archer
Hello.
I am still confused with this one, can anyone expert give some advice ?

My questions:
1. Do I use this before tank attack the boss, and cancel attack so Tank can get aggro ?
2. Do I use this skill every time when 30 sec gone, is it point to reduce max HP constantly ?
3. Happened to me, that other archer used it, and I shot after him with this, and he said, don't use it, because I will just increase BOSS HP not decrease...
4. I also see, that when I shot it, BOSS HP line actually increased instead of decreasing :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Tutmozis - Harshlands on

Comments

• Buttworm - Dreamweaver
    Buttworm - Dreamweaver Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    You use Sharp Tooth Arrow right AFTER tank make 1-2 hits on the boss and then you cancel your attack by pressing ESC and waiting till tank gets aggro.
    You use it only once in the beginning, no need to keep it going and after 30 seconds you will see boss HP drop by % depends on your STA level.
    If you will use it after some time and not at the beginning of the boss fight, then you will see boss HP going up a bit and after 30 seconds down again, it still takes off % of his HP, but 10% of 100% it's not 10% off 90% if you get what i mean.
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Hello.
    I am still confused with this one, can anyone expert give some advice ?

My questions:
    1. Do I use this before tank attack the boss, and cancel attack so Tank can get aggro ?Use this when a Barbarian takes aggro. If a Herc is tanking, use this when the Herc has a 5 second aggro gain.
    2. Do I use this skill every time when 30 sec gone, is it point to reduce max HP constantly ?Use this once as soon as possible without grabbing aggro. Once the HP reduction occurs, the boss will not regain that health.
    3. Happened to me, that other archer used it, and I shot after him with this, and he said, don't use it, because I will just increase BOSS HP not decrease...Depends who has the higher level Sharp. Highest person with Sharp uses it. The "increase" in HP is just an illusion. Instead of having 100% HP, the boss' HP bar is now (100%-sharp reduction%).
    4. I also see, that when I shot it, BOSS HP line actually increased instead of decreasing :DAgain, illusion.

/10char.....
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Just to add some clarification, since I've had lots of archers who don't really understand how it works, it doesn't truly deal damage from the max health debuff. That part works seperately, and drops health off since it can't have more than current health.

So if it has 5 million max, and full health, you shoot with lvl 10 sharpy and it's health drops to 4.2 million out of 4.2 million max health. If you had waited until it was at 4.3 mil health, and shot it for a first time, it would still drop to 4.2 million, since max health wouldn't drop more than 4.2 million either way. This initial shot is the whole reason for sharpy, and extra use isn't needed. It won't ever add health, but the health bar shown only shows percentage of health, not numerical health.

So all good players will stand around doing nothing in the beginning while tank gains aggro until archer sharpys. Any damage they do before that health drop, is rendered null once the sharpy hits. That is a good time to build chi, buff up, let skills CD, change positioning to better advantage, etc. As such, archers need to get their sharpy in as early as they can without taking aggro. Because after is when everyone starts up their roles.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • Squeakz - Heavens Tear
    Squeakz - Heavens Tear Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    im still not getting this... its confoosing b:surrender

ok. boss has 5m max hp at the start. i use sharpy in the beginning and boss now has 4.5m. now lets say my squad does 500k (for easy math reasons) in the 30 seconds that sharpy lasts. Once its over doesnt the bosses life go back to the max total as before? Now that my squad did 500k dmg his new max total is 4.5m showing that 10% taken off that will be -450k...

what im asking is.... its effective for 30 seconds but once its over what happens?

or are you supposed to spam it and keep it refreshed every 25 seconds or so...
  • Brigid - Harshlands
    Brigid - Harshlands Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    It actually doesn't matter who fires the first Sharptooth. No matter the order, the highest level sharpened tooth arrow that hits will take effect, since the effect is instant and irreversible.

When I'm in a squad with a barbarian, I usually fire off the Sharpened Tooth Arrow right after they Flesh Ream, then sit back for a while.

Squeakz, here's how it works:
    Boss has say 10m HP. You use Sharpened Tooth, the max now drops to say 9m. The current HP is now forced to the new max, so it has 9m/9m HP. In the next 30 seconds, your squad does 500k damage, to bring it to 8.5m/9m. Now the sharpened tooth arrow wears off, and the boss is at 8.5m/10m HP. If you fire it again, you'll just put the boss at 8.5m/9m again, for no actual effect.

In short, fire it once at the beginning, and that's it.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Lets say he starts with an HP bar like this
    5m / 5m (100%)

you shoot sharp tooth
    4.5m / 4.5m (100%)

squad does 500k damage
    4.0 m / 4.5m (88%)

tooth wears off
    4.0m / 5.0m (80%)

for fun you tooth him again
    4.0m / 4.5m (88%)

His HP doesnt go up ever but the % appears to change alot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Cirdan - Lost City
    Cirdan - Lost City Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    The only time I see a use for sparptooth after the first time, is to delay boss aoes, like the drum boses in 1-1,1-2, and 1-3. They start their aoes at 50% hp, so if you shoot sharptooth at around 51% or just above that, you can delay the start of the aoe. For example:

Lets say drum boss has 5mil HP and you have a sharp tooth that has a 10% max HP reduction debuff.

You sharptooth at the begining
    5.0m/5.0m --> 4.5m/4.5m

Your squad deals dmg and sharptooth wears off
    4.5m/4.5m --> 4.0m/5.0m

Your squad brings the hp down to about half
    4.0m/5.0m --> 2.6m/5.0m 52%hp

Then you sharptooth
    2.6m/5.0m --> 2.6m/4.5m about 58%hp

Then your squad does more dmg
    2.6m/4.5m --> 2.3m/4.5m about 51%hp

if your squad damages the boss below 2.25m(50%) before sharptooth wares off then the boss will start his aoe, if not then:

Sharptooth wears off
    2.3m/4.5m --> 2.3m/5.0m 46%hp aoe starts

once the aoe starts there's no reason to use sharptooth again. If the aoe gets stronger as the boss dies I have found that it's strength is correlated to the time since the aoe started, not the %hp of the boss, so sharptooth is useless for reducing the strength of aoes. If the the aoe starts at 75% boss hp or higher, this method of delaying the start of the aoe is kinda useless.

I hope this helps you understand the mechanics of sharptooth.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    The only time I see a use for sparptooth after the first time, is to delay boss aoes, like the drum boses in 1-1,1-2, and 1-3. They start their aoes at 50% hp, so if you shoot sharptooth at around 51% or just above that, you can delay the start of the aoe. For example:

I was under the impression that the Drum boss's AoE is not based on health percentage, but based on time passed.
  • Kerrigan_ - Lost City
    Kerrigan_ - Lost City Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I was under the impression that the Drum boss's AoE is not based on health percentage, but based on time passed.

Im pretty sure it is at 50%. Or at least its so consistent it wouldnt matter anyways.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I distinctly remember one time he started his AoE at 25% or 20%. I had used Sharptooth (max) only once. We had killed him so quickly we were stunned.
  • Fear_Arrows - Sanctuary
    Fear_Arrows - Sanctuary Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I have a quick question:

Should I use STA as soon as possible (like right after the tank attacks)?

Or does it even matter if I use it like when the boss has, lets say 50% of hp left.

Do they both still take away (lets just say its maxed) 16% of remaining hp or does only the first one take away the 16% and the second example doesn't do anything to remaining hp and just lowers max?
    "damage over time skills are near useless.. the only reason I use any of them is against bosses because the animations for them look pretty good." -Keroman
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I have a quick question:

Should I use STA as soon as possible (like right after the tank attacks)?

Or does it even matter if I use it like when the boss has, lets say 50% of hp left.

Do they both still take away (lets just say its maxed) 16% of remaining hp or does only the first one take away the 16% and the second example doesn't do anything to remaining hp and just lowers max?

It only reduces max hp... so if you've done more damage than how much you reduce with sharp, it has no effect.

So yes, use it as soon as Tank gets aggro.
  • Squeakz - Heavens Tear
    Squeakz - Heavens Tear Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Squeakz, here's how it works:
    Boss has say 10m HP. You use Sharpened Tooth, the max now drops to say 9m. The current HP is now forced to the new max, so it has 9m/9m HP. In the next 30 seconds, your squad does 500k damage, to bring it to 8.5m/9m. Now the sharpened tooth arrow wears off, and the boss is at 8.5m/10m HP. If you fire it again, you'll just put the boss at 8.5m/9m again, for no actual effect.

In short, fire it once at the beginning, and that's it.

ty vm +1 for you
  • Fear_Arrows - Sanctuary
    Fear_Arrows - Sanctuary Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    It only reduces max hp... so if you've done more damage than how much you reduce with sharp, it has no effect.

So yes, use it as soon as Tank gets aggro.

Thank you, completely answered my question very concisely also :)
    "damage over time skills are near useless.. the only reason I use any of them is against bosses because the animations for them look pretty good." -Keroman
  • Tutmozis - Harshlands
    Tutmozis - Harshlands Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    WOW, thx guys for replies ^^

So I guess, I use this every time as opening at any mob instead of Take Aim for example.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NoPulse - Dreamweaver
    NoPulse - Dreamweaver Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    on my archer i carry a lvl1-weapon for the first shot, so i don
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    on my archer i carry a lvl1-weapon for the first shot, so i don

on my archer if a boss doesn't aoe i walk up to it to first shot with melee penalty. so i don
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    on my archer if a boss doesn't aoe i walk up to it to first shot with melee penalty. so i don
    on my acher i carry around a pair of low level fists and melee til that first 16% HP is gone so i don
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    Options
    truekossy wrote: »
    on my acher i carry around a pair of low level fists and melee til that first 16% HP is gone so i don

I start normal shooting a boss after 75% (after sharp wears off) without blessings+rings until 25% which is where I am fully equipped again and start sparking so I don