PW memory or hardware problems?

2»

Comments

• darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Good luck with your hardware and drivers issue!

We can't respond what other people say about their issues.

We have to look at each and every single person's dxdiag and hijackthis logs, and try to help point them in the right direction. They have to speak for themselves.

A real memory leak IMHO, keeps growing and growing until your system comes to a crawl, and goes into the gigabytes, where your page file and temp file swapping can no longer keep up with what the program is demanding, and then the app/program crashes or Windows crashes.

With the game going into the 800MB range, and back down, it isn't out of line with how much data the game is displaying, and what setting you are running the game in.

The amount of RAM, the type and speed of RAM, the CPU, the motherboard, the Windows drivers, and many more things contribute to memory not being handled correctly.

Like our example here trying to help you with your issues. Something small and seemingly insignificant can dig up a bigger issue.

It amazes me that our game can run on Win98 256MB RAM, 64MB Video RAM systems on the lowest settings. It doesn't mean it will do well, but it is doable. b:pleased
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    It amazes me that our game can run on Win98 256MB RAM, 64MB Video RAM systems on the lowest settings.

b:shocked *shutters*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    b:shocked *shutters*

That gives me back memories of my AOL Dialup while trying to play games on my Win 98 ._.

I must've punched my computer at least a thousand times.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    That gives me back memories of my AOL Dialup while trying to play games on my Win 98 ._.

I must've punched my computer at least a thousand times.

AOL dial-up b:victoryb:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • dekonstruktiv
    dekonstruktiv Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    A real memory leak IMHO, keeps growing and growing until your system comes to a crawl, and goes into the gigabytes, where your page file and temp file swapping can no longer keep up with what the program is demanding, and then the app/program crashes or Windows crashes.

Probably the only relevant thing in that post. Elementclient does crash after a certain amount of ram is used. It's crashed on me several times, and every time i know it's been about too much memory consumption. A few of the people in the guild I'm in also agree how poorly this game is coded (Probably not as bad as Maple Story). This game does just what you described, maybe not into the gigabytes, but rather close. Personally I've never seen it pass 1gb, but i don't have my task manager open whenever i play. Also, care to call a developer to answer these questions that we have? Or even shed some light on the memory leak and coding?
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Probably the only relevant thing in that post. Elementclient does crash after a certain amount of ram is used. It's crashed on me several times, and every time i know it's been about too much memory consumption. A few of the people in the guild I'm in also agree how poorly this game is coded (Probably not as bad as Maple Story). This game does just what you described, maybe not into the gigabytes, but rather close. Personally I've never seen it pass 1gb, but i don't have my task manager open whenever i play. Also, care to call a developer to answer these questions that we have? Or even shed some light on the memory leak and coding?

yea mine rarely goes over 1 gig except if im in arch. Ive screenshotted 1.3gigs at one point, followed by a crash a few minutes later.
  • darthpanda16
    edited October 2009
    These are all assumptions that you all are making.

You do not, and we do not (Admins & Mods), go through the millions of lines of code and just instantly be able to look and go: "oh, this little issue is causing an issue right there on one player's PC with this specific configuration, let's magically fix this".

Game development doesn't work that way. Especially MMO development when a game has to stay live the entire time, and then be updated on top of it.

We understand how frustrating hardware, memory, and networking issues can be with multiplayer online PC gaming.

@dekonstruktiv

Please post your full dxdiag.txt file here and let us check out your system. Post any new screenshots relative to your issue if you need to.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Mines peaking at 850. Never goes above that. Catshop in west archo atm.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • dekonstruktiv
    edited October 2009
    I can't speak for the developers

If you can't speak for the developers, why do you keep on replying when i ask specifically for the developers to shed some light. I understand that you're trying to help, but asking me completely unrelated questions isn't getting me or anyone else with my issue anywhere.

These are all assumptions that you all are making.

You do not, and we do not (Admins & Mods), go through the millions of lines of code and just instantly be able to look and go: "oh, this little issue is causing an issue right there on one player's PC with this specific configuration, let's magically fix this".

Game development doesn't work that way. Especially MMO development when a game has to stay live the entire time, and then be updated on top of it.

We understand how frustrating hardware, memory, and networking issues can be with multiplayer online PC gaming.

@dekonstruktiv

Please post your full dxdiag.txt file here and let us check out your system. Post any new screenshots relative to your issue if you need to.

Of course you don't go through "millions" of lines of code. You are GMs and Moderators. This is why i'm asking for developers to shed some light, they know how it works and they might have answers. Instead of GM's and Moderators like yourselves asking questions when we're looking for answers, and requesting things that won't help you determine why we're having this problem. Instead of requesting DxDiags and telling us to update our drivers etcetera couldn't you just ask a developer to chime in? It's all i've been asking.

PS. Not posting my DxDiag, it's pointless. I've already told you my OS, CPU, GPU, and the amount of RAM that i have. If you want to know the motherboard as well it's a XFX 680i LT.

PPS. If this post was a little too harsh, sorry. But i'm sick and tired of you dodging questions, and not fully answering mine.

Edit : On another note, why has this thread been renamed to "PW memory or hardware problems?". It seems like an unfitting name since memory leaks have to do with the client, and not my hardware.
  • darthpanda16
    edited October 2009
    There is nothing to get upset about.b:victory

If you don't want to post your dxdiag on here, PM it to me, or send in a ticket so that I can look at your system and try to help you look for weak points.

How can we help you figure out the issue, if you won't let us help you?

Looking at your system specs is generally harmless, plus others reading the posts in the community can learn from our trials and errors.

What say you?b:pleased
  • XxCrimsonxX - Dreamweaver
    XxCrimsonxX - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    lol yeah..just teiling a forum Mod/GM the specs of your PC isnt automatically the answer. they need your DXdiag to be able to see not only your specs, but to dive in and take a deeper look at your drivers, any error reports your PC may produce, and many other useful pieces information to help you out =p
  • dekonstruktiv
    edited October 2009
    There is nothing to get upset about.b:victory

If you don't want to post your dxdiag on here, PM it to me, or send in a ticket so that I can look at your system and try to help you look for weak points.

How can we help you figure out the issue, if you won't let us help you?

Looking at your system specs is generally harmless, plus others reading the posts in the community can learn from our trials and errors.

What say you?b:pleased

There is something to be upset about, and what's upsetting me is how you continue to avoid MY questions and ask your own. Expecting me to answer them without you answering mine.

The problem that I've been addressing is this mysterious growing memory issue this game has, and have been asking why it hasn't been fixed. Now the cool part is that this problem has nothing to do with my hardware, just your executable.

Posting my dxdiag will do nothing, but if you insist I'll post it when i get a chance.
  • darthpanda16
    edited October 2009
    I can't answer for the developers.

It is not believed that there is an issue at this time.

As an example, if you are using one account to Catshop, and another account to play simultaneously, and doing both on the same PC, that is a banable offense, and could also explain why you are having memory issues.

If you are using 2 different PCs while playing on both accounts simultaneously, then posting the info for both of those PCs, it can help us help you. (or send in a ticket with the dxdiags for both of your systems).
    b:victory
  • dekonstruktiv
    edited October 2009
    I can't answer for the developers.

It is not believed that there is an issue at this time.

As an example, if you are using one account to Catshop, and another account to play simultaneously, and doing both on the same PC, that is a banable offense, and could also explain why you are having memory issues.

If you are using 2 different PCs while playing on both accounts simultaneously, then posting the info for both of those PCs, can help us help you. (or send in a ticket with the dxdiags for both of your systems).
    b:victory

I don't dual client, this game already takes up too many resources by itself. Also I just play the game your company released, i try to enjoy it but have issues like this one which make me not enjoy it. I don't even see the point in having an extra dedicated pc for this game either. I just run one client at 720p on the lowest settings with distances maximum, watch the executable rise slowly from a good 400 MB up to 750+ MB, even higher with maximum settings. I understand you're tech support and trying to troubleshoot this, and as i said I'll try to put up my dxdiag whenever i can.
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I've seen PW loads/caches a lot of player info. what if the client detects the ammount of RAM to set limits to the number of players into memory?

perhaps a bit hard to develop and test especially during TW but it would certainly reduce swap page usage for older pcs, improving game play.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • darthpanda16
    edited October 2009
    @destruct... it'll only take 2 mins to save the dxdiag, and upload it to a hosting service, then post the link, if that. b:victory

If you want to send in a ticket to Tech Support, with both dxdiags of your systems, feel free to do so, and we'll give you feedback. Put "ATTN Darthpanda, mem issue" and link to this thread b:pleased

@King...
    Good theory. b:pleased
  • Poison - Heavens Tear
    Poison - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,444 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Adding these... The first is West Arch, this actually decreased a little as I stood around for an hour...

ramwarch.jpg

this one is East Arch
    ramearch.jpg

It uses a lot, but I'm not seeing a leak with my hardware like I was months ago.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.