"Display Attributes" button

Ferisu - Lost City
Ferisu - Lost City Posts: 14 Arc User
edited August 2010 in Suggestion Box
After the recent update I've noticed that when you right click a characters portrait (or avatar, whichever you prefer) there's a new button at the very bottom titled "Display Attributes". When I attempted to use this button I was met with the message "You do not have the required tool to use this option."

So into customer support I went. The GM's were excellent with answering my query: telling me that it's something that they plan to implement in the future.

My real reason for this thread however is to hear other opinions on it. Would you like a button in which you could see other characters attributes (or stat distribution)?

Personally, I don't like the idea. One of my favorite features of Perfect World is the ability to customize not only the look of your character, but how their stats are distributed. I can see this being abused by higher level characters as well: how easy would it be to display attributes of that little blue name and instantly go into "mother mode", telling them where their stats SHOULD be rather then what they have?

Also, the idea of needing a "tool" for this option makes me very... uneasy. I can see PWI implementing a cash shop item that you need to buy every time you use this button. People who constantly put money into the game have enough of an advantage with having a never ending supply of charms (amongst other things) thank you very much. They don't need a "display attributes" button so they can go and buy a restat and simply use someone elses stats to their advantage.

And I have nothing against USING the cashshop: I myself have charged before, it just bothers me that the only sort of advantage some characters had over those who abuse the cashshop was their builds, but soon that's going to be ruled out too. o_O;;

I can see how it's an awesome tool for GM's though. It would make telling if someone has **** their stats extremely easy. For characters ingame that aren't GM's though... not so much.

So again, personally guys: Bad idea! D:

This is a thread though, I'd like to see other peoples reasoning on this! :3
Post edited by Ferisu - Lost City on

Comments

• Black_Heart - Lost City
    Black_Heart - Lost City Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    being that i am the only cleric with a successful working build like mine if the button becomes active id sooner quit then let ppl see how to copy it D:
    the reason i like PW is that your build can be so unique and your own having anyone who wants to hawk it to copy just ~shudders~ MINE >.<
  • Phosphoros - Lost City
    Phosphoros - Lost City Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I don't normally bother posting in the forums, because frankly things either get resolved or they don't. one more post doesn't usually tip the scales either way. this issue however I'm going to take a stand on because it hasn't been introduced yet and so we have a chance to stop it.

and if people try to do that "oh but i could learn from looking at other peoples builds" sh*t I swear I will fall out of my chair laughing at the sheer stupidity of people. why oh why can't people just read before starting to play a game? there is TONS of information out there on how to build a character, this would just be another crutch for people who cant read.

hell no.

end of post.
    The usefulness of madman is famous:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    They demonstrate society's logic flagrantly carried out down to its last scrimshaw scrap.
  • Ferisu - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    being that i am the only cleric with a successful working build like mine if the button becomes active id sooner quit then let ppl see how to copy it D:
    the reason i like PW is that your build can be so unique and your own having anyone who wants to hawk it to copy just ~shudders~ MINE >.<

Laaaaaaaaaaawl. Yeah, I gotta say I support custom builds too. Having a "Display Attributes" button will probably wipe out custom builds pretty good. Financially speaking too, PWI just may end up losing money from this because once people restat, they'll probably be quite happy with their stolen builds. So while it'll sky rocket reset sales for a little bit, it may just dive bomb them after. Who knows though, either way: I agree. I'd sooner quit then have people all with the same builds. o_O;;
  • Scythed - Lost City
    Scythed - Lost City Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Yea, the game really doesn't need it. One of my favorite things about pwi is how everyone has different builds. No two characters are the same or plays the same. This button would be saddening just because i've seen people work really hard on getting their custom build just right, and to let people take advantage of that work in mere moments seems almost insulting. I already know several people who've told me they plan to quit if that button gets implemented.
  • Ferisu - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    Yea, the game really doesn't need it. One of my favorite things about pwi is how everyone has different builds. No two characters are the same or plays the same. This button would be saddening just because i've seen people work really hard on getting their custom build just right, and to let people take advantage of that work in mere moments seems almost insulting. I already know several people who've told me they plan to quit if that button gets implemented.

Insulting is a good way to put it. o.o In a way it feels like plagiarism to me. It's using someone elses work to your advantage just because you have more money/more lvls/whatever- and personally that just doesn't feel right.

In that sense too, it would only work for higher levels looking down at lower levels. Because they would have enough points to restat into someone's build and have some extra to put wherever they please. A lower level looking up, however, wouldn't have enough points to reproduce someone's build. @_@ I suppose you could try to figure out their ratio per level...

Mostly I'd like to hear the opinion of the person who voted yes. O_o How is this beneficial to anyone?
  • Laudenslager - Sanctuary
    Laudenslager - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    i agree if a high lvl has found a good build that gives them an edge in pk and this button gets out there edge will be gone and all of there hard work would be for nothing
  • Piliener - Lost City
    Piliener - Lost City Posts: 589 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I disagree with all the "this will ruin the builds" arguments. What this will do should make it a more level playing field. If there is one "perfect" build for a character then everyone would of course do this. Once they all get to the same/similar equipment then it's now a completely even match. Skill vs skill instead of gear/stat vs gear/stat. Also, this will force people who want to keep their "edge" to make a new build.
    Spoons you will forever be missed in this community
  • Phosphoros - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    I disagree with all the "this will ruin the builds" arguments. What this will do should make it a more level playing field. If there is one "perfect" build for a character then everyone would of course do this. Once they all get to the same/similar equipment then it's now a completely even match. Skill vs skill instead of gear/stat vs gear/stat. Also, this will force people who want to keep their "edge" to make a new build.

Aren't you contradicting yourself? Part of a players "skill" is building their character from the ground up. It would make it less of an even playing field and more of a "whoever has more money wins" situation. Because restat scrolls are only from the cashshop then players without the money to fork over wouldn't be able to just change their build at will.

Besides, haven't you restatted yourself a good few times? And ganked lowbies?

Flame war start/

:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    They demonstrate society's logic flagrantly carried out down to its last scrimshaw scrap.
  • Piliener - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    Aren't you contradicting yourself? Part of a players "skill" is building their character from the ground up. It would make it less of an even playing field and more of a "whoever has more money wins" situation. Because restat scrolls are only from the cashshop then players without the money to fork over wouldn't be able to just change their build at will.

Besides, haven't you restatted yourself a good few times? And ganked lowbies?

Flame war start/

:D

No, because one of the beauties of this game is that you can obtain access to the cash shop without real cash. I have restatted yes once and as for the ganking lowbies why not find me and see ^^.
  • Phosphoros - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    No, because one of the beauties of this game is that you can obtain access to the cash shop without real cash. I have restatted yes once and as for the ganking lowbies why not find me and see ^^.

Rofl, ya, but players who sell money will still have more money then anyone in game could ever earn unless they never pay for repair bills or their daily. More ways that people with money win.

Also, killing someone 20+ levels lower then you isn't some sort of testimony to strength. If we're going by avatars alone you're level 76 and I'm 42. :3 I rest my case there.

And since you're able to restat so easily I'm sure you'd love this button. It means you can go up to someone, find out their build and then go and reproduce it. I think that's more what the thread is about rather then trying to "even the playing field". That button is just another reason why people don't have to read and will give more people in game asking stupid questions a reason to be there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KuromaruZ - Dreamweaver
    KuromaruZ - Dreamweaver Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I thought it was a good idea at first, so that you know going into a duel that you're not out of your league. But when you put it that way, HELL NO!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Floyd - Heavens Tear
    Floyd - Heavens Tear Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    like what the person above my post said i just tink it's for the dualers and pkers so they know who to atatck and who not to attack. i don't know just adding my 2 cents into this convo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] shed no tears, show no fear
  • Piliener - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    Rofl, ya, but players who sell money will still have more money then anyone in game could ever earn unless they never pay for repair bills or their daily. More ways that people with money win.

Also, killing someone 20+ levels lower then you isn't some sort of testimony to strength. If we're going by avatars alone you're level 76 and I'm 42. :3 I rest my case there.

And since you're able to restat so easily I'm sure you'd love this button. It means you can go up to someone, find out their build and then go and reproduce it. I think that's more what the thread is about rather then trying to "even the playing field". That button is just another reason why people don't have to read and will give more people in game asking stupid questions a reason to be there.

Well first, you brought up the challenge so don't run your mouth unless you want to back it up.

Secondly, this game is based entirely on the balance of in game gold buyers and in game gold sellers. Without BOTH of those people this game will fall apart very quickly. So, don't spout what everyone else says because it's popular please b:bye.

Third, if you don't like the people in the game I'll tell you what I tell everyone else gtfo. Go find another game if you don't like this one.

Fourth, you just proved my point with reproducing builds. They reproduce your build because it works...so to keep an edge you have to figure out something better. Also, builds have very little to do with this it's 90% equipment.

Now, if you would like to spout some more popular forum talk at me go ahead. There are very few people on these forums who actually understand this game and this business. Instead of worrying about the future updates that aren't out yet you should use the various ways to level faster.

P.S. You need an item to see the att's. It will most likely be a 1 time use thing ^.^
  • Phosphoros - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    Well first, you brought up the challenge so don't run your mouth unless you want to back it up.

Secondly, this game is based entirely on the balance of in game gold buyers and in game gold sellers. Without BOTH of those people this game will fall apart very quickly. So, don't spout what everyone else says because it's popular please b:bye.

Third, if you don't like the people in the game I'll tell you what I tell everyone else gtfo. Go find another game if you don't like this one.

Fourth, you just proved my point with reproducing builds. They reproduce your build because it works...so to keep an edge you have to figure out something better. Also, builds have very little to do with this it's 90% equipment.

Now, if you would like to spout some more popular forum talk at me go ahead. There are very few people on these forums who actually understand this game and this business. Instead of worrying about the future updates that aren't out yet you should use the various ways to level faster.

P.S. You need an item to see the att's. It will most likely be a 1 time use thing ^.^

I bought up no sort of challenge boy. I simply called you out for attacking lowbies to look cool. Your little parade there is just proving my point: you'd attack someone lower level then you if you knew for a fact that you'd win. It's being afraid that you'll lose that pushes you away from attacking people your level. Gtfo coward and stop trying to show off your level like it's your brain chemistry please. :3 I also don't appreciate full on attacks when I bring a fact to the table that has to do with the thread. I'm speaking for at least three people in this thread because I know them in real life.

About your little third fact, you don't have to like people to enjoy a game. PWI has a good char cust, a decent leveling system and interesting quests. The blacklist button works just fine for arrogant pricks that just don't know when to stop. I didn't say anything about not liking the game I was stating things that I simply didn't agree with.

Your fourth "point". I don't know if you realize, but there are only so many builds that work for a class. Things can only be reproduced so many times before they're not "new" anymore. Go make your own build for a mage that isn't ripped off the forums or someone elses idea about what's "right" and "wrong" then have it get ripped off by someone and see how you like it. Chances are they won't give you credit for it either: they'll state they made it up and you'll be left with someone with all your hard work AND money so they get that "90% extra boost from having good equipment" and the extra "10% boost" that comes from knowing where to stat their points. The game is hardly balanced when it comes to those using the cash shop and those who aren't. A charm is enough testimony to that: you don't even have to remember to heal yourself as a cleric, you simply let the charm tick when you should have died without it.

Also, just because I'm not high level doesn't mean I don't know much about the game. Once more, stop flaunting your level like it's your brain. It really isn't. I believe that at least some people in these forums know what they're talking about because they've taken the time to at least read before hopping in game. Stop trash talking about "everyone" in the forums like you're better then them and go find another thread to flame. Now I'm pretty sure I'm done talking with you, please don't reply with things off topic or that have to do with "bragging rights". There's a screenshot and video section for that. :3

P.S.--> Yes. That was stated in the original post and I'm pretty sure and that just further proves how people with more money will win once again. Buying that item will be as easy as buying charms or restat scrolls I presume.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ferisu - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    like what the person above my post said i just tink it's for the dualers and pkers so they know who to atatck and who not to attack. i don't know just adding my 2 cents into this convo

That's a neat side of the argument! It could end up being used for trying to avoid a problem where there is none, or previewing someones stats to know whether or not attacking them is the right thing to do, haha. There's another thread floating around though suggesting adding a way to see a characters level rather then their stats though, and I think that would solve the problem a little more efficiently and with less conflict.

But if they do implement it as being a cash shop item then I don't think people will bother to use it in such a small way- if that makes sense. :P If you have to pay everytime you use that button then people will probably save it to use on specific individuals rather then people whom they attack.

As much as I'd like to be hopeful and say "I can see this being used in a positive way", the way MMO's tend to go: it'll probably end up being abused in some form or another, sadly. :<
  • Piliener - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    First off, I am known for all my lowbie killing ask around it's where my rep came from....really learn what your talking about instead of making accusations. Now, for actual on topic talk.

Well you knowing people irl is irrelevant they have voices let them use them. As for the builds yes lets take mine for example there are known 5 working builds. Now, those are being reworked everyday.

I love the charm example you know the dependant ones and the ones who aren't. Charms weren't always around and there are very few of us who anymore who remember this.

QQ cash shop, QQ rl money>in game, QQ, QQ, QQ. Well rank 8 only in game, well HH, FF, LG, WS all in game. While it is true +12 is > +0 you need the equipment first. All this QQ a new button, QQ a new feature to put money in their pockets, QQ it's all about cash...stfu all of you.

P.S. Trash talking would be saying things like you can't know much because you have a join date of this month.
  • anwynd
    anwynd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    wow lots of fighting in here this is wat rlly screws up a game ok now on the topic at hand i rlly think it would be great to have this added to the game it could have lots of uses but like everything it will have some not to good things bout it well thts wat i think & if it does turn out to be another CS item i dont think i will be using it sense i dont have no money(im to poorb:cry) but i might you never no & remember people if you cnt stand some one dont attack some one with words just be the better person & walk away pce out yall
    Collector of pet eggs, armor, weapons, fashion, and mountsb:chuckle
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    Alyyy - Sanctuary Posts: 3,165 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    lol i dont care if u screwed up ur char its ur epic fail xD be proud of it XD rofl
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Phosphoros - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    First off, I am known for all my lowbie killing ask around it's where my rep came from....really learn what your talking about instead of making accusations. Now, for actual on topic talk.

Well you knowing people irl is irrelevant they have voices let them use them. As for the builds yes lets take mine for example there are known 5 working builds. Now, those are being reworked everyday.

I love the charm example you know the dependant ones and the ones who aren't. Charms weren't always around and there are very few of us who anymore who remember this.

QQ cash shop, QQ rl money>in game, QQ, QQ, QQ. Well rank 8 only in game, well HH, FF, LG, WS all in game. While it is true +12 is > +0 you need the equipment first. All this QQ a new button, QQ a new feature to put money in their pockets, QQ it's all about cash...stfu all of you.

P.S. Trash talking would be saying things like you can't know much because you have a join date of this month.

Wow that was posted only a little while after my own post.

That sure is a lot of QQing for someone who's telling us to stop QQing. Shoosh now. :3
    lol i dont care if u screwed up ur char its ur epic fail xD be proud of it XD rofl

You, good sir, are win. b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Paulita - Dreamweaver
    Paulita - Dreamweaver Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I personally dont care about this option, doest really give advantage or disadvantage with "stolen builds" most builds are taken anyway from online with "perfect builds" so even with this option it wouldnt be much of a difference. Its all about using your character right. Using the right skills at the right timeb:victory Anyway i wouldnt bother checking the stats of another because i like the surprise factor of a duel or pk, if i die i knew i took a gamble.
    b:shocked
  • LordChronis - Dreamweaver
    LordChronis - Dreamweaver Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    If im not correct theres already a item that lets you see there stats or something along the lines of that , its the eye of something~ (i cant remember i only used it once after given to me by a friend lol)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Everything is based on mind, is led by mind, is fashioned by mind. If you speak and act with a pure mind, happiness will follow you, as a shadow clings to a form.
  • daphkate
    daphkate Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I don't like this idea, but I found quite a funny part part about it.

Let's say that some person comes along, sees you kick **** and looks at your atributes, they decide to copy you. Two things can happen. One, they looked at a different class then them, so a archer looked at a barbs attributes, but that is less likely. The second thing is, they may not fight like you do. So if a support cleric sees a attack clerics stats, that will benefit you more than them (ecspecailly on PVP servers <3)
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    ElderSig - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,247 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    What's with all the necros lately? b:puzzled
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • laserawesomenessss
    laserawesomenessss Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    If there is a display attributes button, higher levels will know if you are a noob or not and kill you. By not posting your levels perfect world has left us with the mystery of if that guy can kick my **** or not. So, this would go both ways, rpkers would take lower lvls (like me) for a killing but i would know that if someone is messing with me should i fight back or not.
  • /Gohan - Dreamweaver
    /Gohan - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Holy necro o.0
  • I_Snipe - Lost City
    I_Snipe - Lost City Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    yay. ib4l. and if someone attacks you, attack back...b:surrender most higher levels [the smart ones anyway] can estimate what level you are just by what weapon you have.
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    most higher levels [the smart ones anyway] can estimate what level you are just by what weapon you have.

This.

On a relevant side note to any morons who come in and try to necro this in the future, we already have this now. It's called an Eye of Observation. So shut up and go pick a different topic to necro.
  • Legases - Lost City
    Legases - Lost City Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    yeah sum bich did this **** on me last night, read my exact mag atk, hp, lvl, mp, ect... wtf gm's? when sumone says they 1 shot me i wana b able to say i have 7k hp and not 5k and that it was 2 shot and i lagged xD You SHOULD show lvls tho so then when a lvl 83 sin 1 shots a lvl 100 archer the archer cant lie abt his lvl like he did to me earlier today b:chuckle