Genie Opinions

thegoldendarkness
thegoldendarkness Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Venomancer
Okay so im still kinda confused on the whole genie thing...

I'm a veno and mostly like doing pve, but im on pvp server (my friends play on itb:laugh). So im not rlly sure what skills to teach my genie...

Could you guys put your opinions on what worked for you? and what didn't work for you?

Also i heard that you should never use your experience to level up your genie...

What do you guys think? b:surrender

Thanks ahead for answering. b:victory
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:laughThe World's First Fighting BubbleGum!b:victory

Saving the world one meal at a time...b:pleased
Post edited by thegoldendarkness on

Comments

• thegoldendarkness
    thegoldendarkness Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    *bump*

Hope you can help! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:laughThe World's First Fighting BubbleGum!b:victory

Saving the world one meal at a time...b:pleased
  • Mavado - Harshlands
    Mavado - Harshlands Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Sorry that i'm unhelpful.... but it's not xp that you shouldn't use, it's sp... you want to save and use all of your spirit for skills. That's why many people grind at a certain level and just keep feeding their genie xp while hoarding all of the extra spirit. By doing this they both level their genie and gain the spirit needed to level skills....

Well anyway.... good luck finding someone more helpful.
    >_< I'm a wizard in disguise... you know like the old cartoon... except with less robots and more fire/ice/rocks....
  • flynnie
    flynnie Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Before the Genie Skills went and got Gimp i used Tree of protection (Heal Spell). I would use it after Soul Transfusion or if I needed it in battle. The second one I would use is Celestrial Sword. It's a Physical Damage attack that is 100% accurate. The 3rd I use is Chaotic Spirit. it's a Soul Transfusion spell you can aply to another player
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    Sevas - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    HP (Holy Path) - still good even though it's not a squad skill
    Lightning Chaser - skill interrupt (mainly used at belial but also others and poss pvp)
    [opt] Relentless Courage - bump your channeling a bit when you need a slightly faster heal
    Tree of Protection - still good (last second save in pvp/e), might get this one
    Alpha Male - some venos have it, I don't
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Sorry that i'm unhelpful.... but it's not xp that you shouldn't use, it's sp... you want to save and use all of your spirit for skills. That's why many people grind at a certain level and just keep feeding their genie xp while hoarding all of the extra spirit. By doing this they both level their genie and gain the spirit needed to level skills....

Well anyway.... good luck finding someone more helpful.

If you're trying to level as well, feeding SP to your genie is faster than exp. Especially at high levels when you have an excess of SP.

However, genies have opened up a way to get rid of exp if you don't want to level and would like to grind on the same mobs, either for money or drops. Before people would die by mobs until they were at 0%, now they have something useful to put it into.

It all depends on your play style.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Lady_marta - Dreamweaver
    Lady_marta - Dreamweaver Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I think that Alpha Male is more useful to a fox form Veno, Barbs, and Blademasters. I see it could be used in an emergency when the tank dies and you need to pull aggro away from a Wizard or Cleric (though if the tank dies, it's usually the Cleric's fault 9 times out of 10 so I let the Cleric get wasted for their fail). Outside of those, you really aren't going to have much use for it.
    God of healing, bless those that stand before you...
    Grant me the righteous power to banish evil!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Well, here's my goal genie. By goal I don't mean the absolute best thing available, I mean something that I consider to be pretty good, and relatively high end, but still second rate compared to the very best possible. Essentially, I consider it to be what's obtainable for me with moderate work. Also, this is for PvE not PvP although a few skills may cover both areas. Maybe it will help you decide.

1. Type:
    If you're making a brand new genie I would say Infliction because it will give you more benefit earlier on, and has a slightly better end result. If you're looking to buy one or use one you already have that has decent LP Infliction or Longevity will be fine, it would be a waste of resources to level a new genie to get 2 more magic at 2 more LP or 1 more magic at equal LP.

2. Skills (in no particular order):
    1. Tree of Protection Lv 10
    2. Second Wind Lv 10
    3. Holy Path Lv 10
    4. Fortify Lv 1
    5. Lightning Chaser Lv ? (needs more study to find the optimal level for maximum interrupts)
    6. Extreme Poison Lv 10
    7. Blinding Sand Lv 10

The affinity required to support this is:
    Wood 5
    Metal 5
    Water 4
    Earth 2

That's 16 points, since a level 105 genie should have 22 points (1 to start+1 per 5 levels) there will eventually be 6 spare should you decide to add something else later. This also means the minimum level for this genie setup before taking stats into account to max use of these skills is 75, but because you need a minimum of 71 LP to have 7 skills you're actually going to need a level 80 genie minimum.

3. Stats:
    The final stats in my mind would be:
    Str - 64
    Dex - 56
    Vit - 39
    Mag - 43 (Longevity) 45 (Infliction)

The reasons behind these stats are:

Blinding Sand needs 64 and 56 of str/dex (it doesn't matter which stat gets which) in order to get a 100% accuracy debuff when combined with Befuddling Mist. I would suggest the 64 stat being strength because strength boosts ToP/Second Wind, and 60 str is an additional huge ToP boost. If dex were the 60+ instead, there would be a smaller ToP boost, +1 second on extreme poison, and +1 second on fortify, not as good of a benefit.

The mag is maxed out at the softcap to allow for maximum skill usage, and the vit is at 39 as that allows for just enough energy with max magic to use holy path twice (actually, it seems to leave 8 energy spare when I test on my 145 energy/43 mag genie, so you can probably do it with 37 vit but this may be some weird rounding thing). This also allows for Fortify+Holy Path at times when that is useful.

Keep in mind, this is 20 points of overcap stats (19 str/1 dex with Longevity or 9 str/11 dex with Infliction) meaning 154/156 points of stats or 194/196 total points. That means without any extra gear, this wouldn't be obtainable until level 100, and would require 94 or 96 LP, at 105 it would still require 89 or 91 LP (makes the 71 needed for the skill list seem minor, doesn't it?). Fortunately we can gear genies for more stats. And that brings us to the next part.

4. Gear
    The number of emblems needed for each level of basic gear (1 stat) is:
    Lv 1=1
    Lv 2=2
    Lv 3=6
    Lv 4=18
    Lv 5=72
    Lv 6=288

The amount needed for advanced gear (2 stat) follows the same pattern but uses 3 of a rare drop rather than 1 of a common to make. So I'll ignore the advanced gear, and focus on basic. Level 4 looks to be a good middle ground of stats and items needed so lets use that, it's +4 to a single stat for each piece. The real power of gear is in what it can give you over the softcaps, and to minimize point usage that's what you would want to focus on. For a Longevity genie it would mean all 4 gear being +4 str as it's 19 str/1 dex over cap or an Infliction 2 pieces in str and 2 in dex. Either of these would mean you're only paying for 4 stat points or 8 total points past the cap, saving you 32 points total.

Those saved points due to gear lower the 194/196 point requirement to 162/164 points, which would mean the minimum genie stats would be level 82 or 84 with 80/80 LP, at 90 would be 72 or 74 LP, at 100 would be 62 or 64 LP, and at 105 would 57 or 59 LP. Of course, since there's 7 skills it really means 71 for the minimum LP so 90 with 72 or 74 LP would be the real minimum you're looking at. I think this is a fairly solid and reasonably obtainable genie build. It's also something that can somewhat grow with you so you can build it up over time and get some benefit early on, though Blinding Sand is going to require the gear really.

5. Summary:
    Skills
    1. Tree of Protection Lv 10
    2. Second Wind Lv 10
    3. Holy Path Lv 10
    4. Fortify Lv 1
    5. Lightning Chaser Lv ? (needs more study to find the optimal level for maximum interrupts)
    6. Extreme Poison Lv 10
    7. Blinding Sand Lv 10

Affinity:
    Wood 5
    Metal 5
    Water 4
    Earth 2

Stats bought with points (Longevity):
    Str - 48 (+43)
    Dex - 56 (+41)
    Vit - 39 (+34)
    Mag - 43 (+40)

Stats bought with points (Infliction):
    Str - 56 (+41)
    Dex - 48 (+43)
    Vit - 39 (+36)
    Mag - 45 (+40)

Level 4 gear from Watcher of the Earth (from Warsong)
    4x +4 Str (Longevity)
    2x +4 Str, 2x +4 Dex (Infliction)

Absolute minimum required:
    Level 82 (Longevity), level 84 (Infliction), 80/80 LP.
    Minimum at 90:
    72/90 (Longevity), 74/90 (Infliction)
    Minimum at 100:
    71/100 LP
    Minimum at 105:
    71/100 LP

Maybe that will help you, or maybe not.
  • Yaochi - Sanctuary
    Yaochi - Sanctuary Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Hi

I have a Genie of Discipline (vit)
    Sould I change him to longevity or infliction ?

(and at about what lvl
    will I have the stones for that ?)

______________________________________________________________________________________

"since my customary farewell would appear oddly self serving
    I shell simply say good luck"
  • sephere
    sephere Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    opps accidently posted