Help this newbie BM :)

starflairex
starflairex Posts: 11 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Blademaster
Hello all, I've been playing PWI as a Blademaster for a while, I'm almost 50 now, and I would think I'd be more useful in squads, like as a tank. I know some people don;t aggree that BMs should tank, but I know plenty who do, and I want to be like them. Issue is, I can't seem to keep aggro for some reason. I mean, I'll be in a squad with different classes, and the archer or mage will tank, do more damage.

I chose to use Axes, so I usually just build my strength to match whatever i need for the weapon, and put the rest on VIT for more HP. Is there an issue with my path?
"...don't waste your time or time will waste you."
Post edited by starflairex on

Comments

• Altaire - Harshlands
    Altaire - Harshlands Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Theres, no issue the difference is barbs spam aggro skills, while bm's only have one, making it really easy for a DD to steal aggro. All you have to do is lvl get some hp shards and you will be a good tank.
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Being a tank as an axe BM will be hard. Why? Axes have inconsistent damage and are slow. Even if you are spamming skills it will be awhile before you can hold any type of real aggro.

I am a axe main path.

When I tank I use fists. The damage output is more consistent. You open with spark before any one else attacks and fight like crazy. No skills are really needed. Once I have aggro established I am able to switch to axes and use my ulti, then switch back to fists.

The thing about this is you need good equipment. You won't have much HP without good shards and vit equipment, and some plus bonuses on your armor.

Now this isn't the only way. But if you want to keep aggro away from archer/wizards this works for me.
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    Kniraven - Lost City Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Hello all, I've been playing PWI as a Blademaster for a while, I'm almost 50 now, and I would think I'd be more useful in squads, like as a tank. I know some people don;t aggree that BMs should tank, but I know plenty who do, and I want to be like them. Issue is, I can't seem to keep aggro for some reason. I mean, I'll be in a squad with different classes, and the archer or mage will tank, do more damage.

I chose to use Axes, so I usually just build my strength to match whatever i need for the weapon, and put the rest on VIT for more HP. Is there an issue with my path?

Your dexterity is probably too low to hit enough and the damage with axes is too inconsistent. :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Starflair - Dreamweaver
    Starflair - Dreamweaver Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    You wont hold agro from wizzies or archers spamming attacks. So don't try to. Even barbs have occassional trouble with archers firing one to many crits and getting squashed by the boss/mobs.

Basically, it's up to the DD's to either hold back or wait it out. A bm is usually a tank when a barb can't be found. And that will happen quite a lot, so you'll be needed or no one can finish the quest/boss/fb/tt. It's up to those who will steal agro to either not steal agro or find the squad a barb.

A "tank build" BM has other uses of sheer survivability. You can aoe and hold multiple mobs if the team messes up, where in other cases the party would have been run over. You can hold the boss if the barb goes down. You'll be invaluable in rb. You can take boss aoe's easily meaning less pressure on the cleric. And pve will be far simpler for you.

For a tank build I'd go 6 str 3 vit 1 dex per 2 levels. For any agro holding, if you really have to, max your high damage skills, use zerk axes and learn the genie skill alpha male. Spam stream strike to bits if you build enough chi, it sucks compared to barb skills, but it does build some agro, which does help.
  • Cernunnosx - Heavens Tear
    Cernunnosx - Heavens Tear Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Get a Veno if in squad to bramble you, use fists for a start , spam draw blood (dmg is low but it all adds up to agro), and get alpha male on a genie.

Im a bit differant than AdvancedZero, he stated he likes to use his ults, personally I save my sparks and just Demon spark .. The DPS under Demon is stupidly high and consistent, while Ults are mainly spike dmg.
    With something like HF aswell amping all DD's dmg, it also increases the dmg they are out putting which you have to fight against to hold agro.
  • Helr - Sanctuary
    Helr - Sanctuary Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    If you're going to tank, fists are far and above the easiest way to do it. Damage may not be high, but it is fast and consistent, an builds up a lot of chi for sparks or skills. I get a spark roughly every 20 seconds, which means that with 2 full sparks and a full bar, i can set of six sparks back to back. If i tank something, i just ask any DDs in squad to wait until after the first spark to start attacking, and to hold back a little.

If you are going to tank, alter marrow and shadowless kick are good things to get. Alter marrow can make up for a lower hp against purely physical bosses, and shadowless can cancel magic attacks mixed in with the physical ones, if you time it right.

At the moment i have no points in vit (3 str, 2 dex build), and I've tanked most of the bosses up to bh 51 for friends, usually about 10-12 levels later.
    helr - cleric,7X
    Jaggerjaques - BM, 7X
    blackrobe - Wizard, 6X
    and several others :D
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Get a Veno if in squad to bramble you, use fists for a start , spam draw blood (dmg is low but it all adds up to agro), and get alpha male on a genie.

Im a bit differant than AdvancedZero, he stated he likes to use his ults, personally I save my sparks and just Demon spark .. The DPS under Demon is stupidly high and consistent, while Ults are mainly spike dmg.
    With something like HF aswell amping all DD's dmg, it also increases the dmg they are out putting which you have to fight against to hold agro.

Yes I open with Demon Spark & extreme poison. Then use ult's to speed up killing of boss.
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ishukwe
    ishukwe Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    If you're going to tank, fists are far and above the easiest way to do it. Damage may not be high, but it is fast and consistent, an builds up a lot of chi for sparks or skills. I get a spark roughly every 20 seconds, which means that with 2 full sparks and a full bar, i can set of six sparks back to back. If i tank something, i just ask any DDs in squad to wait until after the first spark to start attacking, and to hold back a little.

If you are going to tank, alter marrow and shadowless kick are good things to get. Alter marrow can make up for a lower hp against purely physical bosses, and shadowless can cancel magic attacks mixed in with the physical ones, if you time it right.

At the moment i have no points in vit (3 str, 2 dex build), and I've tanked most of the bosses up to bh 51 for friends, usually about 10-12 levels later.

hey man itseesm you know a lot about pwi so i need ur help . iam new to mmo games and i just started playing pwi and i am level 5 in harshville i have no clue about playing this bisicly all i ahev been doing is fitgh with the beedles
    and foxies and all those wired looking creaturas so i really need your help please help man i dont knwo how to teleport/where i dont know how to learn skills?where i dont know how to do mission?where i dont know how to be a team ?where i dont kn ow how to do everything accept for clicking to fight so please help me cause i am hopeless please please man