Heavy Veno non fox-form viable?

Arverna - Sanctuary
Arverna - Sanctuary Posts: 26 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Venomancer
Have read a few interesting things about veno heavy builds but I did not see much if those builds were mainly fox-form or magic attacks.

I am currently built between pure mage and vitality mage built and am thinking about maybe trying to follow heavy build path but i do not want to follow fox-form path as I have already invested a lot in magic path skills.

Hence the question; can heavy build be made with magic path of skill tree?

Also, as this will supposed very particular equips with ++ in many stats (nice guide on pwi-wiki), will it also be possible to find those ++ equip with some - in channeling speed?

I now manage to hold 3 mobs with my magmite without dying but extra Pdef is something I would really be looking for (also for the future so I do not have to reroll to have fun in PvP)...
Also, I have always loved tanking lol.

And finally 227+ points in Str (wiki) seems a lot of points that will not be used as extra damages so how would one max mag attack for his lvl?

Thanks for all tips and advices you could share.
Post edited by Arverna - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Reikara - Heavens Tear
    Reikara - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,321 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    My heavy guide up the top is a hybrid, meaning that kind of build uses both magic (human form) AND physical (fox form) skills.

You'll need just about every +stat bonus you can get, but it's good to have -%chann on your arcane armour and weapon. Your magic, strength and dex will only ever be enough for you to use your equipment, so you wont have uber attack, but you will have high enough damage to kill whatever is weak to physical or magical damage.

When I first restatted to my build at level 80, I pretty much only had the human skills and fox form. Which is good, because by this level I only had to focus on levelling those up and my human form with the better/higher damage already had the skills levelled. So it's still good to have all your human skills first :>

If you went heavy armour but human form only, it'd kinda kill the whole point of your build. You'd have str and dex but no other use for it than to wear your armour. You can always start levelling fox skills at 60+, venos don't have any problems with getting spirit.

Meh, i'd like to have a talk to whoever wrote that guide on the wiki, it lacks a hell alot of info and there's so many things wrong with it <_<;
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    53 is quite early to be doing this IMHO. I don't want to discourage you if you really want to do it, but keeping your stats updated for the new armor requirement every few levels is a real pain. The TT armors at 70, 80, and 90 all come at one level so you can update your stats just once every 10 levels and be done with it.

If you really want to do this, I'd suggest you start by camping the auction house and start picking up +stat gear. That will give you some clue as to the pain and effort this will entail, without you having to commit with a restat scroll yet. +stat gear which also has -%channel is going to be insanely rare and expensive.

IIRC, Obsessed is a heavy caster veno, but has all sorts of uber gear and I think didn't restat until 80. You'd basically be trading off vit (hp) and mag for the flexibility of switching to high pdef. If all you want is the ability to withstand a few hits, I would look for some good pdef jewelry on AH (refining it will increase the +pdef), arcane armor with +pdef modifiers (probably easier to find than all the +stat equipment), and consider putting on pdef shards on your armor (start with the cheap common or average ones - they add up).

As Reikara said, going heavy is a pretty big investment just so you can have better pdef. I don't think I would have done it without fox form's pdef bonus and melee mastery's patk bonus. I would have rolled a BM instead. While you can tank, you lack aggro skills, so you'll be relying entirely on DPS and sparks (and maybe the genie skills Alpha Male) for aggro. The only times I've ended up tanking (outside of solo play) were when the main tank/herc died.

If a herc was tanking, I'm usually next on the aggro list (because I'm not being super-careful about aggro like the archers/wizards are - I can take a hit or two from a boss). If a barb was tanking and drops, then I've been pausing to toss the barb chi and the archers/wizards have been using their skills. They usually get killed next, then I get aggro. I can tank well enough for the cleric to get the barb back up, but the safety net I provide basically only protects the cleric and other venos. So while you can tank, it's really only in a way which is useful for a group that's about to wipe. You're not gonna be the main tank for a boss like a barb or BM could be. (Well, maybe with damage reflect you could do it. But the DD classes would have to treat it as if a herc were tanking, and if that's the case I would rather just have my herc tank and the cleric add more damage rather than heal me.)
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    why are you going to wear heavy while being a caster? for extra phys defense?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • SultryShade - Dreamweaver
    SultryShade - Dreamweaver Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    As stated heavy without foxform is fairly wasteful, both in money and stats. Also I agree, with first hand experience, that ha/aa hybrid is VERY hard to pull off in the early levels, and in the end probably isn't worth it, unless you are on a pvp server then its debatable. I went ha/aa from lvl 1 with my veno, and while I loved it, it wasn't necessary, and it was a lot more expensive than those levels needed to be, but for me it was fun and different. Obviously besides the stat issue, there is the spirit issue. You cannot keep up with all your skills all the time if you want to do both trees pre-60 or 70. I had to choose my favorite foxform and human form skills (venomous, and ironwood scarabs, and befuddling mist, leech, and melee mastery).

So in summary, don't go ha/aa too early, its a royal pain, but if you're like me and want something different go for it, just be prepared for what it entails.
    I will not hesitate to beat you over the head with your own stupidity.

Yes I am a hypocrite.
  • Poison - Heavens Tear
    Poison - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,444 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, since I rarely use fox skills other than purge/debuff/myriad I decided to go LA instead of my original plan to go HA when I hit 90. I still get a lot more pdef than I had as AA.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    It's not impossible, but it probably will cost a lot. I know a veno on Lost City who wears full HH90 HA and the HH99 Gold (297 Magic requirement). Not sure what his entire stats are, but I know he spends a decent amount of time in caster more than fox.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I have 6.3k pdef and 6-7k mdef while wearing robes with buffs and while in for form. Those numbers go down to 5k pdef without buffs and still 6-7k mdef. And I did not have to sacrifice that much magic to do it, still have 360 magic points. (I get 375 if I do not want to maximize pdef).

Not bad for arcane :)
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • PinkSuccubuS - Lost City
    PinkSuccubuS - Lost City Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    well i have 5,4k deff and 5,5 magg res at lv77 3736 hp in foxform arcane
    actually played robe fox from the start (lv9) never ever cared for human form and still dont care i grind just fine in human with leech planing to go sage
    fox for more deff boost and 100% leech
  • Kittennice - Heavens Tear
    Kittennice - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited October 2009

No comment
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^
    {=^.^=} < I'll never give up. Never give in. )

I'm for The Cursed!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=656132
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I would use arcane for higher mag results.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • _Miku_ - Lost City
    _Miku_ - Lost City Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Do you guys know how much + stat bonus i will need if i am planning on restating as a heavy veno at 80?
  • Fox_In_A_Box - Sanctuary
    Fox_In_A_Box - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    There is a third option of using non magical weapons as your main attack. The general pattern for that build is to equip a magic weapon, cast ironwood scarab and a DOT skill or two then switch out to axes or such to attack alongside a pet in human form. Never tried it myself but have known of a couple of venos who use this option.
  • Reikara - Heavens Tear
    Reikara - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,321 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    You could do that, but personally I find it a pain in the butt to switch, especailly in pvp o.o
    A BM friend lent me his calamity axes the other day as a joke duel between me and a cleric. Went for a whle cause they kept healing themselves but it was a royal pain in the butt switching axe-> mag weap /soul trans -> axe -> mag weap /soul trans ect o.O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nicoleluver
    nicoleluver Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    here is a heavy veno at 90, most certainly the end game build, unless you plan to replace the tt80 green with tt80 gold but the benefits aren't too different, besides, your better off with the tt80 green since it adds a few extra mdef. use of offensive pets like kowlin, sawfly or phoenix is suggested with this build for pvp purposes since your magic attack is quite low.

lv90 heavy armor caster venomancer

note
    - this build requires a setup of 5 legendary equipments and a tome to boost magic stats.
    - suggested re-stat to this build only at level 90.
    - build's main focus is on pvp and town wars.

pros

- very good phy def, has 70 percent p def reduction in caster form
    - flexibility, can make full utilization of fox and caster forms excellently
    - further building, tt80 green can be replaced with tt80gold and legendary eqp as you see fit, if you want to play around with stats.
    - excellent vs archers, blademasters and barbarians. you can further compliment this build with a nix for its 100 percent efficiency for pvp.
    - overall this build is excellent in tt, fb, aoe levelling with herc, pvp or town wars.

cons

- low magic atk, has same magic attack as a light armor, only you don't critical that often either.
    - low mag def, almost as same as a light armor build.
    - low critical, evasion and accuracy. the accuracy problem can be solved by sharding your weapon with 1 or 2 accuracy shards if you plan to use foxform often.
    - low to average hp and low chance of survivability against cleric or wizard.

build

base stats at 90
    str - 202
    dex - 44
    mag - 216
    vit - 3
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Do you guys know how much + stat bonus i will need if i am planning on restating as a heavy veno at 80?
    IIRC, each level you need:

2.5 str + 2
    0.5 dex + 4
    3.0 mag

For a total of 6*level + 6

Your total stat points (ignoring vit) is 5*level + 10.

So you will need to make up level - 4 in +stat bonuses to wear the best heavy armor and wield a current weapon. Do keep in mind that the TT armor and weapons all come at 80. So at 81, you have an extra 5 stat points (since you will be using level 80 armor and weapons); at 82 you have an extra 10 stat points; etc.