Internet Connection>Downloading?

WhitePuma - Lost City
WhitePuma - Lost City Posts: 19 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Support Desk
I just got my new computer today, the internet runs fine, but for some reason, Im only downloading the game at 30k/sec. When I first downloaded on my older computer, I had 100k/sec. This computers RAM is literally twice as fast as my older one, so I would really like to know if there is any reason why it is downloading so slowly, would my internet connection have anything to do with the downloading speed?
Post edited by WhitePuma - Lost City on

Comments

• chesticles
    chesticles Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    It would be your connection yes, not RAM.

Make sure your firewall isnt blocking any connections.

Make sure that you arent or anyone else on the same connection isnt downloading anything else :p

If you are still lagging, try refreshing your net by doing the following:

Vista:

Start -> Search -> cmd

When the cmd is open type: ipconfig /release

then type: ipconfig /renew

and see if that helps ^^
  • WhitePuma - Lost City
    WhitePuma - Lost City Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    That managed to make it actually go slower, its down to about 14.9k/sec. Should I call my ISP and see if they can help at all?
  • chesticles
    chesticles Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited October 2009
  • Xymantha - Dreamweaver
    Xymantha - Dreamweaver Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    click the image below - run the test by clicking the yellow pyramid - then copy over the results so we can see what your connection speed looks like. do this without any other downloads or web services running. FYI though, even though I appear to have a 5Mbps dowload speed - my true download speeds are generally not that fast since my ISP likes to throttle back my downloads to somewhere like 200 - 300 k.

I do find though that using torrent system (properly port forwarded from the router, and allowed in firewall) will generally yield better results depending on seed numbers. This is basically due to the fact that I've then got multiple incoming connections lower than the throttle limit my ISP places, but when combined they are actually faster.
    586093716.png
    I'm a man
This discussion has been closed.