More than one char...?

Teh_fishey - Dreamweaver
Teh_fishey - Dreamweaver Posts: 552 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Support Desk
Ok this is one that idk if players will know, so I'd like to get a GM answer...

Anyways...

I was thinking it would be really awesome if you could have like 2 chars being played at the same time. You'd have 2 different accounts, each one would have a seperate char... Is it possible to play them both on one computer IF...

You had seperate screens.

My parents are both in the I.T. field, and they've both told me that it is possible to connect two screens to one computer, and with 1 mouse and 1 keyboard. From there you can do two seperate things, IE: one screen could be running like Microsoft Word, and the other running Internet Explorer (which would come in handy for some school work lol). Anyways, you could just switch over, you scroll your mouse over, and then your on the screen, doing whatever that screen is doing.

So would it be possible to have it so that would work with PWI? So I could have 2 accounts each one with a different char on different screens?

If not is there some other way I could do something similar?

The main thing is: I would like to be able to play 2 accounts at the same time, using at least the same mouse (idc if the keyboard is different, but the same keyboard would be prefered).

So yeah, is that possible, and if not are there any other solutions similar to it? Oh and please don't tell me to buy another computer, I've spent a lot of money on this game already, and I dun really wanna end up spending another couple hundered, or even couple thousand, buying another computer.

kthnxbai b:bye
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Note: No thats not me... I stole that from the interwebs b:chuckle
BTW.... YOU ROCK FORSAKENX <3

I like to think of myself as a dog, I can be cute and cuddly but sniff people's butts and get away with it ><>

Warlock recruiting lvl 70+ on the Dreamweaver Server.
PM an officer for an invite.

b:heartb:flowerb:faint
Post edited by Teh_fishey - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    You can connect multiple screens to the same computer.

But they have always stated that you cannot play more then one client on the same computer whenever this question is asked.

You can play multiple characters at the same time, as long as they are on separate computers. I do not think that separate screens would count...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • XxCrimsonxX - Dreamweaver
    XxCrimsonxX - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    as far as I know..multi-clienting isnt allowed.
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    While it is possible to play two characters (on separate accounts) at the same time, you can only run 1 PWI client per computer. This is also a part of our Terms of Service, so make sure that you only run one game client on any computer you have. b:victory

If you wanted the same keyboard it could work like this: You have 2 computers side by side, and use a KVM (your parents will know what I mean) switch to change between each computer. This is cool because you can use the same mouse, keyboard, and even screen to play on 2 separate computers.b:cool
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    b:victory

woot spoons!

Now then if i were to run two clients of PWI on a virtual pc. would it work out?
    (O.o)

technically it's separate computers. I do have two valid copies of windows. =D
    b:chuckle

I would wuv to be able to resurrect myself when I die. (>.<)'
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Teh_fishey - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2009
    While it is possible to play two characters (on separate accounts) at the same time, you can only run 1 PWI client per computer. This is also a part of our Terms of Service, so make sure that you only run one game client on any computer you have. b:victory

If you wanted the same keyboard it could work like this: You have 2 computers side by side, and use a KVM (your parents will know what I mean) switch to change between each computer. This is cool because you can use the same mouse, keyboard, and even screen to play on 2 separate computers.b:cool

hehe thanks will do :P

*yells at parents* WTF IS A KVM AND WHERE CAN I GET ONE!?!?!?!?

But wait, spoons, is it possible to do the same KVM thing, except instead of 1 screen with 2 screens?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I like to think of myself as a dog, I can be cute and cuddly but sniff people's butts and get away with it ><>

edited October 2009
    Yes it's possible.

so yar Virtual Pc = technically 2 PCs right?
    =D
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2009

woot spoons!

Now then if i were to run two clients of PWI on a virtual pc. would it work out?
    (O.o)

technically it's separate computers. I do have two valid copies of windows. =D
    b:chuckle

I would wuv to be able to resurrect myself when I die. (>.<)'
    Nope, two physical PCs, not a virtual one. Nice try though b:victory
    hehe thanks will do :P

*yells at parents* WTF IS A KVM AND WHERE CAN I GET ONE!?!?!?!?

But wait, spoons, is it possible to do the same KVM thing, except instead of 1 screen with 2 screens?
    Yep, you can actually hook one monitor to each computer side-by-side and just use the KVM switch to change your keyboard and mouse controls between the two
  • Poison - Heavens Tear
    Poison - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,444 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I have PWI on my main screen and the forums/email/vent on the second screen. I use my laptop to load up a second character. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2009
    Nope, two physical PCs, not a virtual one. Nice try though b:victory

Yep, you can actually hook one monitor to each computer side-by-side and just use the KVM switch to change your keyboard and mouse controls between the two

hmmmm
    me am tempted to try anyways but darth's all seeing eye could probably figure out what me am doing.
    b:shocked

aw b:sad
    if virtual PC was allowed it would've made playing PWI sooo much more convenient. (>.<)'
    boo me can't power level me cleric, can't afk catshop over night, can't revive myself when I die and theres no guild cleric around. (T.T)'
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2009
    Ok another question...

How long does it take to switch comps and for it to load on average?

Cuz what I would hate would be to go out buy another computer and monitor and this KV-thingy and then...

I'm attacking with one char, and oh noes I have to switch to my cleric and heal, but its to late, I'm already dead by the time it takes an hour to load.

So yeah... ty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited October 2009
    b:laugh

Heres the one bit of info you want from that wall of text.

"Category 5 based KVM device communication uses proprietary protocols across what can be considered a "closed loop" local area network infrastructure. In contrast to remote over IP devices, users operate computers in "real time" because there is no noticeable latency in communication between user consoles and the computers."
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2009
    So I checked around and learned a bit about this stuff... Anyways, I discovered that the KVM switch was pretty cheap (under $30, at least for what I need) but I realized another issue. I'd need to buy a computer. So I checked around on ebay and amazon, ebay has 'em real cheap but idk if I wanna buy a used one that is supposedly "refurbished" from someone I don't even know. Anyways, looking on amazon, I found the cheapest one for around $180 (I know expensive right? but lmao its cheaper than a herc or a nix). First of all, I'd like to ensure that this type will run with PWI (I would be soooo pissed if I went out and spent a couple hundered bucks only to find it wouldn't run PWI). Anyways here is the model: Compaq CQ2009F Desktop PC
    (I just went to here: http://www.amazon.com/Hewlett-Packard-CQ2009F-Compaq-Desktop-PC/dp/B001P5GJCW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254885615&sr=1-1

Anyways, the other thing I was considering, is that I already have my veno here, and I like my veno. Its already a kinda high lvl, 67 =P. But also I already have a herc (yeah I admit to spending 150 dollars on it). So odds are I will just come running back to my herc unless I'm really into my other chars.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited October 2009
    Ram: Probably. (Me has come from the age where computers having 512 MB of ram was good so it should work out for PWI.)
    Hard Drive Space: For sure
    CPU: Most likely although it might be a bit slow
    Video Card: err this rig is missing a video card.
    "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with 64MB Dedicated Graphics Memory"
    b:shocked
    Is not an actual graphics card. It's a chipset.
    DX
    So it might not run it.
    My friend had trouble running War Craft I (yes thats right One heck it's technically not a competitive game no one really plays *due to it's super old age* that although there are a few that still play Two still on O.o') and Command and Conquer on such a video card.

Yar rigs like this are what keeps me from buying name brand. (The hamster needs the power~^.^')
    XD
    Decent stuff but weak video card and possibly a motherboard which is not compatible with a decent vid card.
    (>.<)'

OY SPOONS I'VE GOT IT!
    Me was sleeping and then me thought about what makes a computer a computer? O.o'
    stuff that came to mind were CPU, Ram, Hard Drive, etc etc.
    So.....if me were to build a rig with a duel/quad core processor & 4-6 gigs of Ram & 2 hard drives. & 2 video cards (in SLI)
    And were to run as Windows while the other runs in Linix each using half of the available hardware. technically thats two computers physically and virtually (although it'll be two in one box)

I suppose I would have to figure a way to drill in a new ethernet slot so that the linix side would have it's own network and such. (would probably need moltendorf's help with the code and stuff to make it work) (>.<)'
    (O.o)'

lol grr darn curses~ Me already has a new computer (a laptop) so me can't put me evil evil plan into reality for the next 5-10 years at least but the idea is interesting. O.o' It should be virtually impossible for even darthpanda's all seeing eye to tell apart.
    xD
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.