PvP Sword Blademaster Help

lighttheflame
lighttheflame Posts: 31 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Blademaster
I am thinking of creating a PvP sword blademaster and I'm not sure what stats I should put my attributes into. And what skills I need and should max, and which I shouldn't bother leveling. Can anyone help me with a guide or something, any help would be appreciated. b:pleased
IGN: Akshot
Class: Berserker
Level: 65
Guild: Legends

IGN: Infamous
Class: Heretic
Level: 60
Guild: Asuras
Post edited by lighttheflame on

Comments

• Bobncut - Sanctuary
    Bobncut - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Well, there is a guide buried deep in the forum history somewhere that tries to do this. You can search it out if you want, but please do not revive it from the dead.

But, let's assume you already saw that guide and realized it does not really deal with the main PvP weakness of swords identified in the sticky guides above - namely, that sword (and more so fist) skills are less suited to PvP than axe (and to a lesser degree pole). Let's even assume that you realize the weapon attributes of swords make it more suited for 1-on-1 PvE than for PvP. Then, you must have some interesting reason to want to make a sword-based PvP character.

What might it be? Well, obviously, you want to be different, but in what way?

The most interesting reason I've seen is because you are fascinated by the high evasion and accuracy BMs get per point of DEX. You've seen that most archer PvP is built around their high crit rates and you realize that while it might not work in all cases there might be an archer-like BM mode that is playable. Sword lets you build a DEX BM because you only need 2 STR per level for your weapon. Fist would be the natural way to start with that character (1.5 STR per level), but you picked swords, so I'll assume you noticed that fist weapons have such small range that they can be kited even by melee classes and that made the difference.

Okay, we've rationalized your choice enough. How would you do this thing? You could go with an archer's "pure" DEX build modified for your weapon requirement (2 STR/3 DEX every level). But, in the early levels, you would suffer because the advantages of DEX creep up slowly, light armor is minimally beneficial against the physical mobs you mostly see throughout the early levels, and unlike an archer you can't do much from range. So, you could add a point of VIT to keep you alive or a point every other level to STR to allow heavy armor. Just for all-around survivability, though, I think you are looking at both of those "fixes."

But, now we've taken DEX down to just 1.5 per level on average. That isn't much of a DEX-based warrior. You'll never crit like an archer at that rate! Okay, I get it. You were thinking of a reset scroll, weren't you? Yeah, that's the ticket. A reset after about level 60. Crank all that VIT back into DEX now that you have gear that lasts more than a couple of days and might be worth refining or sharding for HP. Get another one, maybe, to shift STR down from the minimum to wear heavy armor and make do with light (and your evasion, of course). At level 61, your 185 DEX would give a base accuracy and evasion of, what, 1850?

Hmmm. You sure you don't want to rethink that choice about fists. The extra 300 acc/evasion would seem important when you are betting your life on it. No? Well, maybe that's because of the skills.... I'll grant that a range attack and a knockback sure do make you seem more archer-like. And, who can resist the awesome majesty of the two-spark's high initial damage. The reduction in opponents' damage will sure come in handy if you don't crit.

Okay, so there you go. A tailored guide to a sword PvP blademaster.

Good luck.
  • lighttheflame
    lighttheflame Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I think I found the guide you were talking about :P I'll try making a sword pvp bm and hopefully it works, if not... oh well, ill switch to axe or something. Thanks for the help :)
    IGN: Akshot
    Class: Berserker
    Level: 65
    Guild: Legends

IGN: Infamous
    Class: Heretic
    Level: 60
    Guild: Asuras
  • LT__Razak - Dreamweaver
    LT__Razak - Dreamweaver Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Well, there is a guide buried deep in the forum history somewhere that tries to do this. You can search it out if you want, but please do not revive it from the dead.

But, let's assume you already saw that guide and realized it does not really deal with the main PvP weakness of swords identified in the sticky guides above - namely, that sword (and more so fist) skills are less suited to PvP than axe (and to a lesser degree pole). Let's even assume that you realize the weapon attributes of swords make it more suited for 1-on-1 PvE than for PvP. Then, you must have some interesting reason to want to make a sword-based PvP character.

What might it be? Well, obviously, you want to be different, but in what way?

The most interesting reason I've seen is because you are fascinated by the high evasion and accuracy BMs get per point of DEX. You've seen that most archer PvP is built around their high crit rates and you realize that while it might not work in all cases there might be an archer-like BM mode that is playable. Sword lets you build a DEX BM because you only need 2 STR per level for your weapon. Fist would be the natural way to start with that character (1.5 STR per level), but you picked swords, so I'll assume you noticed that fist weapons have such small range that they can be kited even by melee classes and that made the difference.

Okay, we've rationalized your choice enough. How would you do this thing? You could go with an archer's "pure" DEX build modified for your weapon requirement (2 STR/3 DEX every level). But, in the early levels, you would suffer because the advantages of DEX creep up slowly, light armor is minimally beneficial against the physical mobs you mostly see throughout the early levels, and unlike an archer you can't do much from range. So, you could add a point of VIT to keep you alive or a point every other level to STR to allow heavy armor. Just for all-around survivability, though, I think you are looking at both of those "fixes."

But, now we've taken DEX down to just 1.5 per level on average. That isn't much of a DEX-based warrior. You'll never crit like an archer at that rate! Okay, I get it. You were thinking of a reset scroll, weren't you? Yeah, that's the ticket. A reset after about level 60. Crank all that VIT back into DEX now that you have gear that lasts more than a couple of days and might be worth refining or sharding for HP. Get another one, maybe, to shift STR down from the minimum to wear heavy armor and make do with light (and your evasion, of course). At level 61, your 185 DEX would give a base accuracy and evasion of, what, 1850?

Hmmm. You sure you don't want to rethink that choice about fists. The extra 300 acc/evasion would seem important when you are betting your life on it. No? Well, maybe that's because of the skills.... I'll grant that a range attack and a knockback sure do make you seem more archer-like. And, who can resist the awesome majesty of the two-spark's high initial damage. The reduction in opponents' damage will sure come in handy if you don't crit.

Okay, so there you go. A tailored guide to a sword PvP blademaster.

Good luck.

Dude... You're an ****... Lol
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    Kniraven - Lost City Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Dude... You're an ****... Lol

b:shocked Necro much?

Also, if anyone cares I will eventually be making a PvP Sword BM guide.

(>^^)> Plz post any flames in an alternate thread as this thread needs to be locked and go back to the depths from which it came. <(^^)> TY
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Monoftalmus - Heavens Tear
    Monoftalmus - Heavens Tear Posts: 701 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    In my opinion, sword can't be out matched by any bm weapon in pvp, that is the truth, and it is most balanced pvp weapon for all classes bm can use. However, to be the best or very good, you will have to make at least 2 weapons after 90+ so you can balance for what it fits the situation (i would say: sword/spear or fist) b:bye
    Fortune favors the brave

facebook: facebook.com/WorldOfDrakons
    forum: dragons-pwi.forum-motion.net
  • PinkSuccubuS - Lost City
    PinkSuccubuS - Lost City Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    dude first off all its not impossible going 5 vit and 3str and 7 dex its not easy but not impossible but after ur cultivation lv29 it gets super wasy with sutra and yes i play pure fist bm hade one at lv56 harsland and now making one on lost city 35 lv up in 3days so iff u hade that hard maybe u sux dude
  • PhantomDrake - Sanctuary
    PhantomDrake - Sanctuary Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=338891

Its a kinda old thread not specifically for Sword/Blade BMs but still very useful high lvl advice...enjoy b:victory
  • andracil
    andracil Posts: 2,949 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Dang, double necro.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.