Dollars to gold ratio

baabzi
baabzi Posts: 10 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Cash Shop Huddle
Okay, I'm posting this once and for all because I hear different things.
How much ZEN = GOLD = DOLLARS. I see on the website that $10.00 = 1000 ZEN, then I read that 1 zen = 100 gold. So if I buy $10 of zen, thats 10,000 gold??? I don't freaking get it. Does the ratio change? Or does it stay the same? I don't want any responses that begin with "I think.." I want responses that start with "I know from personal experience" also known as IF YOU DONT KNOW THEN DONT ANSWER.

kthnxbai
Post edited by baabzi on

Comments

• BladesFury - Heavens Tear
    BladesFury - Heavens Tear Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    baabzi wrote: »
    How much ZEN = GOLD = DOLLARS. I see on the website that $10.00 = 1000 ZEN, then I read that 1 zen = 100 gold. So if I buy $10 of zen, thats 10,000 gold??? I don't freaking get it. Does the ratio change? Or does it stay the same? I don't want any responses that begin with "I think.." I want responses that start with "I know from personal experience" also known as IF YOU DONT KNOW THEN DONT ANSWER.

kthnxbai

first please have a reflection of ur manners before u start posting. You are requesting some help from us and dont show us ur "im a princess" kind of attitude.

1000zen = 10 gold = $10 (100zen = 1 gold)
    that exchange rate is fixed, unless PW decides to have a zen sale

1 gold = 100k-400k in game coins, depending on the market. Yes this changes according to the economy in game. Players affect this ratio.
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited September 2009

kthnxbai

lmao. youre an idiot.

what you read (incorrectly) is that 1 zen = 100 SILVER. 100 silver = 1 gold. it's not rocket science.
  • Aquilonian - Dreamweaver
    Aquilonian - Dreamweaver Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    well someone did make a typo that said 1zen=100gold. But in that same thread there were multiple posts saying 100zen=1gold. OP must have had wishful thinking, did some selective reading, and hopes that $10 gets you 10,000 gold.

Also by the way, if indeed 1zen=100gold and $10=1000zen then 1000 zen would equal 100,000 gold not 10,000. Your math is a little off, but I dont blame you, I blame parents and the school system.
    "Let's all be reasonable here. PWI hasn't fully kept their word about anything since the "Permanent" Charm Packs. This is just another example. We should be used to it by now." -Isala
  • baabzi
    baabzi Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Sorry if I came off as rude... It was not my intention as I was only confused. But thanks for clearing it up. I only wanted to be corrected. Thanks for the insults. Cheers.

Edited because a friend of mine did tell me 1gold=$1, I just had a hard time believing it due to the fact that a lot of things are more then $1. It's hard to believe that people are originally paying $30 for an in game item... Sorry okay? As I see this is a free game, for bonus items and clothing accessories I can understand but that's a lot of money people are spending and I just didn't want to accept that. Sorry if I sounded abrupt. Thanks again.
  • duckspell
    duckspell Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    It's hard to believe that people are originally paying $30 for an in game item... Sorry okay? As I see this is a free game, for bonus items and clothing accessories I can understand but that's a lot of money people are spending and I just didn't want to accept that. Sorry if I sounded abrupt. Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

You see, some people collect stamps, others **** and murder, my aunt likes to garden. Some people play games. When you have a hobby, you spend money on it to better complete/enjoy/immerse yourself in the hobby.

I know it's hard to understand, and thats why everyone is making fun of you. Even your crippling case of autism shouldn't make this concept that hard.
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    duckspell wrote: »
    You see, some people collect stamps, others **** and murder, my aunt likes to garden. Some people play games. When you have a hobby, you spend money on it to better complete/enjoy/immerse yourself in the hobby.

I know it's hard to understand, and thats why everyone is making fun of you. Even your crippling case of autism shouldn't make this concept that hard.

o.o'
    lols ouch.
    that hurt so much that even I could feel the pain from over here.
    b:cold
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aquilonian - Dreamweaver
    Aquilonian - Dreamweaver Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    .... Thanks for the insults. Cheers....

Anytime champ b:victory
    "Let's all be reasonable here. PWI hasn't fully kept their word about anything since the "Permanent" Charm Packs. This is just another example. We should be used to it by now." -Isala
  • Hemoglobin - Lost City
    Hemoglobin - Lost City Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    duckspell wrote: »
    It's hard to believe that people are originally paying $30 for an in game item... Sorry okay? As I see this is a free game, for bonus items and clothing accessories I can understand but that's a lot of money people are spending and I just didn't want to accept that. Sorry if I sounded abrupt. Thanks again.

You shouldn't accept it. Quit before you get addicted to the game and actually find it reasonable to accept it. I wish I did, then I wouldnt be out 70 bucks.

A hobby is great. A money vaccumm is plain stupid. Prices on here are too damn high, and you know it. Sure, people spend on it, but that doesn't change the fact that 50 dollars for a fake mount to ride around on or 30 something dollars for a piece of clothes (dyed to your liking) is rediculous.
  • Belldandy_ - Dreamweaver
    Belldandy_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I think $50 for a mount is a reasonable price. Considering that computer programmers get paid ~$75,000 a year, and that mount probably took half a year minimum to program (and that's not including the concept phases), someone was paid a hefty price to do just that mount. I'm not even going to get into the REST of the game because that's an amount of money that I'll never see in my lifetime. After a year, they're probably just scraping off the surface of what was paid to those programmers. Then there's the costs of renting a building for the company to tack onto that. And those five server computers you play on don't come cheap either. And the bills that need to be paid for advertisements and the site domain and paying for the bandwidth for their Internet connection...

Honestly, I don't think you did any research at all into this before you started what amounts to a rant about you want more for less. Next, I suppose you'll start emailing the president about how he should plant money trees all over the country?
    I am Belldandy, Goddess 1st Class, Unlimited License.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2009
    I think $50 for a mount is a reasonable price. Considering that computer programmers get paid ~$75,000 a year, and that mount probably took half a year minimum to program (and that's not including the concept phases), someone was paid a hefty price to do just that mount. I'm not even going to get into the REST of the game because that's an amount of money that I'll never see in my lifetime. After a year, they're probably just scraping off the surface of what was paid to those programmers. Then there's the costs of renting a building for the company to tack onto that. And those five server computers you play on don't come cheap either. And the bills that need to be paid for advertisements and the site domain and paying for the bandwidth for their Internet connection...

Honestly, I don't think you did any research at all into this before you started what amounts to a rant about you want more for less. Next, I suppose you'll start emailing the president about how he should plant money trees all over the country?

i agree, whole heartedly, that mount prices are reasonable, when paid in real life money wise. But you see, in pwi, mounts are a neccessity for us to travel around. In order to purchase this neccesity we have to use money, in what way does it make this game a F2P game which is advertised? Sure, you can pay with in game coins, 2million at the very least for a 9.0ms mount is not something we would like to pay.

I am sure that the majority of the players complaining are not QQing about the cost of cash shop items, rather, we are complaining about how PWI has made shopping bontique items with in game coins virtually impossible for the majority. Some of us may belong to the minority who have the luxury of having enough money to purchase with in game coins, what about the rest?
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    i agree, whole heartedly, that mount prices are reasonable, when paid in real life money wise. But you see, in pwi, mounts are a neccessity for us to travel around. In order to purchase this neccesity we have to use money, in what way does it make this game a F2P game which is advertised? Sure, you can pay with in game coins, 2million at the very least for a 9.0ms mount is not something we would like to pay.

I am sure that the majority of the players complaining are not QQing about the cost of cash shop items, rather, we are complaining about how PWI has made shopping bontique items with in game coins virtually impossible for the majority. Some of us may belong to the minority who have the luxury of having enough money to purchase with in game coins, what about the rest?

The rest kills more mobs more faster.
    b:victory
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BORN_LEGEND - Dreamweaver
    BORN_LEGEND - Dreamweaver Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    my bad. wrong thread. haha
    edited September 2009

Since when is a mount something you absolutely MUST have to play the game? I don't have a mount and I can play just fine. And I will always be able to play just fine without one. Mounts, like all CS items, are a luxury, not a necessity.

And it seems you missed the point of my post entirely. What you want is more gold per dollar, which would make that 50 dollar mount into, say, a 25 dollar mount. The gold needed would stay the same. I am not arguing the gold cost of CS items, which I think is rather low compared to other games of a lower caliber. I don't know how much was spent to create this game, but I can tell you that it's much more than you probably realize. I consider myself lucky that they don't charge a monthly fee in order to play something like this, only what we WANT to pay in order to have a few shiny things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2009
    Since when is a mount something you absolutely MUST have to play the game? I don't have a mount and I can play just fine. And I will always be able to play just fine without one. Mounts, like all CS items, are a luxury, not a necessity.

And it seems you missed the point of my post entirely. What you want is more gold per dollar, which would make that 50 dollar mount into, say, a 25 dollar mount. The gold needed would stay the same. I am not arguing the gold cost of CS items, which I think is rather low compared to other games of a lower caliber. I don't know how much was spent to create this game, but I can tell you that it's much more than you probably realize. I consider myself lucky that they don't charge a monthly fee in order to play something like this, only what we WANT to pay in order to have a few shiny things.

Do you have a main? and judging from the pic ur an archer/cleric. No wonder you dont feel the crunch. Try playing a untamed/human, we dont get flight speed upgrades like you, so we are pretty much stuck with the 0.5ms aerogear that we have when we reach lv 30. Imagine flying from archsaur to swiftwind on that mount while trying to maintain a decent level of playing enjoyment. You cant play this game for nuts without a decent aerogears/mounts.

i said that the MAJORITY of the QQ THREADS YOU SEE HERE ARE not against the cost of cash shop items, rather, we are complaining about how PWI has made shopping bontique items with in game coins virtually impossible for the majority.

your point is we dont have to pay a monthly fee, but this is a F2P game as advertised, yet they are forcing on us to spend irl cash to get in game.

THis arguement is based on the criteria that it is a F2P game. If PWI were to advertise itself as a P2P game, it would be fighting on a different playing field. We are complaining due to the expectations of a F2P game. You pay to get an advantage over others not pay to play the game.

as we have seen, charms are mandatory to some classes (clerics / barbs) and mounts are mandatory to mid lvls+
    edited September 2009
    Do you have a main? and judging from the pic ur an archer/cleric. No wonder you dont feel the crunch. Try playing a untamed/human, we dont get flight speed upgrades like you, so we are pretty much stuck with the 0.5ms aerogear that we have when we reach lv 30. Imagine flying from archsaur to swiftwind on that mount while trying to maintain a decent level of playing enjoyment. You cant play this game for nuts without a decent aerogears/mounts.

i said that the MAJORITY of the QQ THREADS YOU SEE HERE ARE not against the cost of cash shop items, rather, we are complaining about how PWI has made shopping bontique items with in game coins virtually impossible for the majority.

your point is we dont have to pay a monthly fee, but this is a F2P game as advertised, yet they are forcing on us to spend irl cash to get in game.

THis arguement is based on the criteria that it is a F2P game. If PWI were to advertise itself as a P2P game, it would be fighting on a different playing field. We are complaining due to the expectations of a F2P game. You pay to get an advantage over others not pay to play the game.

as we have seen, charms are mandatory to some classes (clerics / barbs) and mounts are mandatory to mid lvls+

It's true, THIS character is a cleric. Yes, we do get access to flying from the get go and we get a flight increase skill. But did you know that those only effect the starter wings? Or that they only get better than lvl 30 wings because of the skill at lvl 79? Don't assume that because I post with this character it's my main. In actuality, I play a Veno 80% of the time, and I do get around quite easily. I use these things called legs. Again, CS items are a LUXURY. They are NOT a necessity. Unless someone is holding a gun to your head, you DO NOT NEED TO PAY A CENT.

You missed the point of my post. Again. You either can't read, or you care more about whining than you do about knowing what you're talking about. Let me make this easier for you. My point is this: Programmers make a good salary, and it takes many programmers to make and maintain games like this. And the resources needed to keep a game like this running is NOT cheap in the slightest. Programmers, debuggers, artists, Internet connections, server class computers, rent for office space, copyright contracts, advertising...this stuff adds up. It's not something that can be paid for with a monthly allowance that you'd get from your parents.

Since this is, as you say, a free to play game, the CS is the ONLY way the game makes money. It's not like they have a mommy and a daddy that pay for all this. If you really don't care if there's even a game to play anymore, then by all means force them to lower the gold price to abysmal levels. Then we'll see how much longer this game will last.

I know I'm not the OP, but could a mod PLEASE just lock this thread and any subsequent threads pertaining to the same subject? It's entirely pointless for these people, and I use that term loosely, to be whining about something they know absolutely nothing about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2009
    a good F2P game running company would know how to maintain servers with profit while at the same time keeping its game population happy. Since im not allowed to post names, i wont.

No your wrong, CS is not the only way to gain money. Read up please, there are so many merchandise that can come with a F2P game, IF and only if they make it big.

In web 2.0 world, either you ride the wave or gets swallowed by it. Face it, there are just too many games out there and a leading game is one that can find the balance between profit and maintaining a happy playerbase.
  • LadyRatatosk - Dreamweaver
    LadyRatatosk - Dreamweaver Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    It's true, THIS character is a cleric. Yes, we do get access to flying from the get go and we get a flight increase skill. But did you know that those only effect the starter wings? Or that they only get better than lvl 30 wings because of the skill at lvl 79? Don't assume that because I post with this character it's my main. In actuality, I play a Veno 80% of the time, and I do get around quite easily. I use these things called legs. Again, CS items are a LUXURY. They are NOT a necessity. Unless someone is holding a gun to your head, you DO NOT NEED TO PAY A CENT.

You missed the point of my post. Again. You either can't read, or you care more about whining than you do about knowing what you're talking about. Let me make this easier for you. My point is this: Programmers make a good salary, and it takes many programmers to make and maintain games like this. And the resources needed to keep a game like this running is NOT cheap in the slightest. Programmers, debuggers, artists, Internet connections, server class computers, rent for office space, copyright contracts, advertising...this stuff adds up. It's not something that can be paid for with a monthly allowance that you'd get from your parents.

Since this is, as you say, a free to play game, the CS is the ONLY way the game makes money. It's not like they have a mommy and a daddy that pay for all this. If you really don't care if there's even a game to play anymore, then by all means force them to lower the gold price to abysmal levels. Then we'll see how much longer this game will last.

I know I'm not the OP, but could a mod PLEASE just lock this thread and any subsequent threads pertaining to the same subject? It's entirely pointless for these people, and I use that term loosely, to be whining about something they know absolutely nothing about.

I know what you're talking about. I'm a computer programmer. Not for a game, but I still get paid enough to live pretty well off. Computer programmers definitely aren't cheap, and Chinese programmers are the elite in the programming world. Unless, of course, I'm wrong and this was made in someone's basement. I highly doubt that though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Courage Is The Magic That Turns Dreams Into Reality
  • avalonianlady
    avalonianlady Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I work hard for my money, like anyone else, and I think the prices for in game items are perfectly reasonable for several reasons...

1. They are NOT required to play, to level, or to fulfill functions of the game. Yes, they are nice, pretty, make things a little different, but they are not required for someone to fully enjoy a game.

2. Programmers make money too. I actually work at a college, and we offer a game design program. The program is HARD, and those students work hard to create and design these things. They should get paid for them. A free to play game has to have some sort of income, and I am honestly shocked that they offer such reasonable prices AND to not limit gameplay by doing so. (Don't take that as a hint and up the prices guys!!! Remember that I am a teacher and we don't make much!!!b:laugh)

3. For a game of this caliber, it is amazing that it is FTP. I have gotten hours of enjoyment from this game, made friends, and spent a little RL cash along the way. Or, alternatively, I could spend a monthly fee plus the cost of server transfers plus buying items. HMMMM.......

I know that some people simply cannot buy items. Teenagers without funds, people who don't have the available cash (especially in this economy). I cannot afford to spend much, and what I spend I do wisely, but when it really comes down to it, is 30 dollars (just an average idea) that much for a game that provides entertainment and social interactions? I am sure people usually pay 3 or 4 times as much for their cable bill each month, of which they usually only watch 5 or 6 channels.

Enjoy the game, and be pleased that it is available to everyone. Save some money, buy an item if you really want it, or simply enjoy the fact that RL money is not a requirement. If you feel that you NEED to make a purchase to enjoy the game, then maybe you are playing it wrong.
  • Yamiino - Heavens Tear
    Yamiino - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,031 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Just going to say something ^^ might be mean but its the reality.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

b:victory
    WTB> -12% channeling BELT or RING pm me with link or mail me ingame HT server, ty.
  • CuteChilli - Dreamweaver
    CuteChilli - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2009

meh i didnt know about all this money thing :)
    Im only lvl 2 xD
    edited October 2009
    I work hard for my money, like anyone else, and I think the prices for in game items are perfectly reasonable for several reasons...

1. They are NOT required to play, to level, or to fulfill functions of the game. Yes, they are nice, pretty, make things a little different, but they are not required for someone to fully enjoy a game.

2. Programmers make money too. I actually work at a college, and we offer a game design program. The program is HARD, and those students work hard to create and design these things. They should get paid for them. A free to play game has to have some sort of income, and I am honestly shocked that they offer such reasonable prices AND to not limit gameplay by doing so. (Don't take that as a hint and up the prices guys!!! Remember that I am a teacher and we don't make much!!!b:laugh)

3. For a game of this caliber, it is amazing that it is FTP. I have gotten hours of enjoyment from this game, made friends, and spent a little RL cash along the way. Or, alternatively, I could spend a monthly fee plus the cost of server transfers plus buying items. HMMMM.......

I know that some people simply cannot buy items. Teenagers without funds, people who don't have the available cash (especially in this economy). I cannot afford to spend much, and what I spend I do wisely, but when it really comes down to it, is 30 dollars (just an average idea) that much for a game that provides entertainment and social interactions? I am sure people usually pay 3 or 4 times as much for their cable bill each month, of which they usually only watch 5 or 6 channels.

Enjoy the game, and be pleased that it is available to everyone. Save some money, buy an item if you really want it, or simply enjoy the fact that RL money is not a requirement. If you feel that you NEED to make a purchase to enjoy the game, then maybe you are playing it wrong.

THANK YOU! Finally, someone that understands this. It's people like you that give me a glimmer of hope for the future.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mistarxos
    mistarxos Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2009

You are ignorant if it comes to business. The programmers get their paycheck, no matter if you buy a mount or not. Maybe you dont need to pay a sub, but this game is still designed to make money. Its commercial business. So to defend high costs in an itemmall as customer is just plain ignorant, because you have no idea what the costs are of their business and how much profit they make. So you lack the information to determine if the prices are high or low.

Anyway, a F2P game with itemmall, is DESIGNED to make the item mall items in demand. So you can expect that the travelling is made slow on purpose to give the mounts a higher ingame value.

Its also not 'amazing' that its F2P. Dont be silly to think its a gift. Most players will realise when they get to higher level, that the game is intended to be played with items from shop. You can of course chose not to, but that will severly lower the fun of the game. This is DESIGNED, you ignorant fools.

Then to what you find expensive or not, is all in the eye of the beholder. But I do know that if some players would calculate what they spend per month on average, that they easily can afford a P2P game. But still, if they want to, let them. Just dont come with silly excuses like that programmers need to be paid >< Because thats not your responsibility, doh!
  • Yamiino - Heavens Tear
    Yamiino - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,031 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    mistarxos wrote: »
    You are ignorant if it comes to business. The programmers get their paycheck, no matter if you buy a mount or not. Maybe you dont need to pay a sub, but this game is still designed to make money. Its commercial business. So to defend high costs in an itemmall as customer is just plain ignorant, because you have no idea what the costs are of their business and how much profit they make. So you lack the information to determine if the prices are high or low.

Anyway, a F2P game with itemmall, is DESIGNED to make the item mall items in demand. So you can expect that the travelling is made slow on purpose to give the mounts a higher ingame value.

Its also not 'amazing' that its F2P. Dont be silly to think its a gift. Most players will realise when they get to higher level, that the game is intended to be played with items from shop. You can of course chose not to, but that will severly lower the fun of the game. This is DESIGNED, you ignorant fools.

Then to what you find expensive or not, is all in the eye of the beholder. But I do know that if some players would calculate what they spend per month on average, that they easily can afford a P2P game. But still, if they want to, let them. Just dont come with silly excuses like that programmers need to be paid >< Because thats not your responsibility, doh!

1. Yes they get paid, from what funds? Their games, meaning, the cash shops. Not like they get paid from money tree ;o 1 mount i guess wont affect much, but what when it comes to hundreds or thousands ;]

2. How much do you think a game like this costs? To be able to handle probably a million players daily with no lag, no massive whining, and what not O_o it is REALLY expensive so they need something to get profit to pay these.

3. Who are you to judge what the administrators do with their game anyway, they have way more experience on this than you, so don't rant about something you don't know of ;3

4. It is true that the items from the cash shop are ment to be purchased, yes thats why the wings are slow, the mounts get better from cash shop, etc. because to get money, of course they need to make cash shop items A LITTLE better than ingame, since the customer is paying for it, would you think someone would purchase a mount with the same speed as a normal ingame obtainable mount, probably a bit uglier? lol I don't think people would spend on it, so yes it is designed to be purchased, that is the market like how you purchase cheerios over other cereal :] its the same thing~ all marketing ("get faster by purchasing stuff") and design ("if you dont purchase, then stick to what we give you for free").

5. Is there a reason for all this whining about the cash shop? they will not change it because of 3-50 even 100 players suggesting to change it.
    Changing or making something even 1 dollar cheaper will end on them losing A LOT OF MONEY, so yes being a company it would be something "not-so-smart" (avoiding to use language here ^^) to do.

Hope these people stop whining about this, and start playing, as I said, if you don't like it, don't buy it. If you want to tell people how to spend their money, well, who are you to tell them how to spend it if its theirs. ^^

Cya~
    WTB> -12% channeling BELT or RING pm me with link or mail me ingame HT server, ty.
    edited October 2009
    mistarxos wrote: »

Excuse me. Yes...um...I'm a computer programmer and I make about $70,000 a year, give or take. That's not for a game company, it's for an insurance company (I help to write their database and maintain it). Game programmers make MORE. And there's no way that they have only one programmer working for them. That means that the pay to their programmers is more than any other given asset cost, possibly as much as half their total costs. It might even be more depending on how many programmers they actually have.

I'm not sure what size computers they're using, but if I had to guess, I'd say a mainframe class computer. Anyone know how much those cost? No? Around $50,000 per year. The cost for the OS to run that is about $1,500 per year.

Other costs will include, but are not limited to, Internet capabilities, phone service, office rent, and regular employee pay. Since I do not live in that area (which I assume is somewhere in California), I cannot estimate prices for that as different companies will have different rates in different areas.

Yes, the CS was designed in the game, not for necessity, but for enhancement. As you pointed out yourself, you can choose not to use the CS and I'm sure that there are people out there that do follow that path. However, saying that not using the CS makes the game not fun is just plain wrong. Those people who don't use the CS still find the game fun, but I'm sure that you would quit playing as soon as they took away your training wheels. That's what the CS is, a crutch. I have something for you to think about. There is nothing in the CS that can't be done through non-CS means besides fashion items and teleacoustics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]