Making Coin as an Archer

chikar
chikar Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Archer
Hello all, this is my first post to the forums. I'm lvl 42 right now, and i'd really like to get Sinister Shooter, but im BROKE! I have about 200k to my name and still have skills to train. I've been having some serious issues making a decent cash flow.

I was wondering if any of you had any tips as to how to make the best money at my lvl.
Post edited by chikar on

Comments

• Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    - Grind. White names are best, unless you find it easy to grind against harder monsters.

- Are you using the cheapest arrows? You should. There is no need to use the expensive ones, except for special situations like PvP, TW, or against particularly difficult monsters.

- Farm. Definitely pick up the materials, and picking up herbs is not a bad idea either. If you do not want to set up a cat shop overnight, then put them in the Auction House. Put them in sets of 10 or 20 so that people can buy them without having to buy all of them.

- Sell DQ to players. If you are able to set up a cat shop overnight, you can sell the DQ drops from monsters at about NPC Price +500 or +1000. People doing Dragon Quests will buy them at these prices. Otherwise, just sell to NPC (most players sell directly to NPC).

- Do not buy fashion.
    - Do not buy an expensive mount.
    - Do not buy expensive wings.
  • chikar
    edited September 2009
    I've actually been using the arrows proper for my bow, didnt know i should only be using the lower lvl ones.

I've been selling my DQ to NPC's recently. I can put up a cat shop at night and probably should, problem with that is im a packrat and have TONS of stuff in my bank (mats). Hence i really don't have room to hold a bunch of stuff i plan on selling lol. Im tier 3 in all skills (BS, Apoth, Tailor, Craft). So far it doesnt look like there's much of a market for the skills tho.

As for mat selling, what kind of prices do you think they should be at? I see so many different cat shops pricing them at all kinds of different prices its rediculous.
    edited September 2009
    The arrow thing actually drains a lot of money from low levelers who do not realize it. That alone should help you save money.

As for mats, look at the various stalls near these three NPCs. After looking at a dozen or so stalls, you will have an idea of material prices.
    - Blacksmith in West Archosaur.
    - Tailor in West Archosaur.
    - The person who makes wine in West Archosaur. He is near the Jewelcraftsman.

Also, I forgot to mention, don't worry about sharding your equipment. You can begin sharding in your 70s (maybe 60s, if you really need the HP).
  • chikar
    edited September 2009
    The ones near the tailor/blacksmith are always so HIGH priced (i guess due to convenience of being RIGHT there). Guess i'll undercut them something fierce :)

Should i just stop worrying about my crafting skills till later on maybe?
    edited September 2009
    Up to you. Some people level all of the crafting skills, some level none.

Also, are you buying potions (HP or MP)? If you are, you are playing your archer incorrectly. You should never run out of HP / MP potions.
  • DarkSniper - Lost City
    DarkSniper - Lost City Posts: 1,830 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    - Farm. Definitely pick up the materials, and picking up herbs is not a bad idea either. If you do not want to set up a cat shop overnight, then put them in the Auction House. Put them in sets of 10 or 20 so that people can buy them without having to buy all of them.

Do you even play the game? When you buy mats off someone who has a stack of mats you choose how many you want.
    The only way to win is to quit. b:bye
  • archanel
    archanel Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Also, are you buying potions (HP or MP)? If you are, you are playing your archer incorrectly. You should never run out of HP / MP potions.

I have to buy pots for every run I make (eg. i go grind til i run out of pots/arrows/inv.space)

What am I doing wrong ?
  • Brigid - Harshlands
    Brigid - Harshlands Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Do you even play the game? When you buy mats off someone who has a stack of mats you choose how many you want.

Do you actually read the post before replying? She was referring to the Auction House, where you buy the entire lot or none.

Regarding potions, generally you should be taking only one or two hits per mob kill at the very most. With Frost and Knockback arrows, you can kill most things before they reach you. With Winged Shell you can absorb most of the damage from those that do reach you. It's harder to avoid using potions early on, but eventually the only limit on your grinding runs will be inventory space and ammo.

The reason we say to use the cheapest ammo is because they cost significantly less for only a bit less damage. +17 physical attack does very little for you, and the cost is what, 5 times higher for the next grade? That adds up quickly.
    edited September 2009
    archanel wrote: »
    I have to buy pots for every run I make (eg. i go grind til i run out of pots/arrows/inv.space)

What am I doing wrong ?

If you are skill spamming, then you are not playing your character correctly (or you are below level 19). Use this to kill monsters:

Frost Arrow -> Normal -> Normal -> Knockback -> Normal until dead.

There are various variations of the theme (such as putting Take Aim in the front).

Please read these:
    Link: Archer Starter Mini - by Annor.
    Link: Annor's Archer Basics (Guide) - by Annor.

Here is a bigger list: Useful Archer Links.
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I funded my Sinister Shooter by grinding on Torgirn Warriors for Element Fragments, which I sold at the Master Bladecraftsman. Same can be used with other quests that require DQs.
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • chikar
    edited September 2009
    If you could provide locations for mobs that would be great!

Thanks everyone for your responses i greatly appreciate it!
    edited September 2009
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited September 2009

*facepalm* makes me feel less happy knowing he's in the same server I am. b:shocked
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chikar
    edited September 2009
    Im on harshlands also, i found someone with the Sinister today, but it was 1.3m :( I barely have 500k on me. Trying to make some cash as we speak!
  • TigerLily - Lost City
    TigerLily - Lost City Posts: 1,209 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    chikar wrote: »
    Hello all, this is my first post to the forums. I'm lvl 42 right now, and i'd really like to get Sinister Shooter, but im BROKE! I have about 200k to my name and still have skills to train. I've been having some serious issues making a decent cash flow.

I was wondering if any of you had any tips as to how to make the best money at my lvl.

Make a veno
  • Brigid - Harshlands
    Brigid - Harshlands Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Go kill Sapphire Planeshark Dons for Rough Fur and Dull Claws, then sell it catshop overnight in West Archosaur. You're high enough that you should be able to kill them easily, but still low enough that your drop rate won't suck.
  • LordRaptor - Heavens Tear
    LordRaptor - Heavens Tear Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Or: dont get sinister and save for hammer for supply stash lvl 50. The sinister is not so good. I had it but you dont really need it....
    Equipment
    ☆Armor of the Assassin
    ☆Decaying Snow Shinguards
    ☆General's Bracers
    ☆Skywalker Shoes
    ☆Broad Land
    ☆Attendance Ring
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Or: dont get sinister and save for hammer for supply stash lvl 50. The sinister is not so good. I had it but you dont really need it....

Well, right now, a Sinister Shooter is far cheaper than GSL. Or are you saying that Sinister Shooter costs 2 millions coins?
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Sinister shooter is better than GSL. It actually has a higher DPS when you consider the +dex bonus and +shooting speed bonus. Without the two bonuses the GSL would be better (even with normal slingshot speed).

I got my sinister while doing an FB39 (well it was a BH). It sometimes drops from the "Calcid of the flame " the 2nd FB39 boss. I got a armor of the barbarian shaman in the same run..b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • FitHitDShan - Sanctuary
    FitHitDShan - Sanctuary Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    The GSL is a bit better than the Sinister. Back when the supply boxes came out (and hammer prices were closer to reasonable), the bottom dropped out of the price for Shooters. You could get them for close to 500K. As gold increases have driven hammer prices up, though, my sense is that few level 50s are opening the box any more. So, Sinisters are expensive again. That's a shame.
    "?" IS my avatar.
  • chikar
    edited September 2009
    People keep telling me to use that worthless site pwdatabase.com and honestly its the crappiest site i've used so far!

Everytime i search for something "No search results found". Everytime, i looked for disguise skin, nothing, sapphire plainshark dons, nothing. I've searched for many things on that site that it doesnt even know exist!

So.. Where are these Sapphire Plainshark Don's? Cause pwdatabase should be boycotted for even being associated with PW. The site sucks!
  • Toxicus - Harshlands
    Toxicus - Harshlands Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Ok so the sites making a liar out of me (IM the OP btw i just learned how to change my avatar LOL *Noobness*)

Before i typed that response up there, i couldnt find disguise skin, and now its showing it to me. But either way lol
  • Marshmallows - Dreamweaver
    Marshmallows - Dreamweaver Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    It's a great site as long as you're making sure you're in the international section of PW and not MY or another country version. also, if you're searching for an item, make sure you're not in NPC section etc. Once you get used to using the site, you'll like it more. I hope the site works for you, because it really is very helpul to me and others.
  • Toxicus - Harshlands
    Toxicus - Harshlands Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Thats probably what the issue is then, i might be on a different section not sure. But i'll give it another chance.
  • Seraphe - Dreamweaver
    Seraphe - Dreamweaver Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Yea PWDatabase is an excellent site but like others have mentioned you do need to make sure you are on the PWI version.

http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi

My only gripe with this site however is the fact the prices for any item using mysterious chips has yet to be updated.
  • Oichii - Dreamweaver
    Oichii - Dreamweaver Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    chikar wrote: »

I know how it is because I'v been there. Trust me, if you want to play as an archer or a Mage, Start a Veno first. yes, I'm not kidding, Start a venomancer, grind till Lv 40, I was able to make 1.5 Million on my veno just at Lv 40 - 45 picking normal drops. Then, transfer money from Veno to archer, get the sling that you wanted and level away easily to Level 60.

Have to say Mages and Archers suck at making money before 60, you DO make money but they are spent in Charms / Pot Costs giving you no much money to save.
    edited September 2009
    Have to say Mages and Archers suck at making money before 60, you DO make money but they are spent in Charms / Pot Costs giving you no much money to save.

Archers should have no potions costs. See above-related posts.
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited September 2009

No need for a charm on PvE pre-60. If you're running out of pots on an archer that's past level 20 and have to factor that in as a cost then you're doing something wrong. Ammo is cheap as dirt (you should only be using the basic ammo when grinding) and most people leave it on the ground so it's easy to replenish even if you don't buy it.
  • Lewar - Dreamweaver
    Lewar - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    (to Elenacostal 9-23-09 post) I need help. I am a low-level so i have spirit to use on new skills if need be. My current combo is: Venomous-> Knockback-> Winged Shell-> Lightning Strike-> normal until dead. This combo drains a LOT of MP and I need an equally powerful alternative. I am a Pure Build Archer and with this combo, I still get hit once or twice. Should I instead level Frost Arrow and Knockback like the combo you suggested? By the way, i have a tough time gaining enough chi to use Frost and Winged Shell at will or at least quickly. Is there a better way to gain chi? Thanks!
  • Seraphe - Dreamweaver
    Seraphe - Dreamweaver Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    (to Elenacostal 9-23-09 post) I need help. I am a low-level so i have spirit to use on new skills if need be. My current combo is: Venomous-> Knockback-> Winged Shell-> Lightning Strike-> normal until dead. This combo drains a LOT of MP and I need an equally powerful alternative. I am a Pure Build Archer and with this combo, I still get hit once or twice. Should I instead level Frost Arrow and Knockback like the combo you suggested? By the way, i have a tough time gaining enough chi to use Frost and Winged Shell at will or at least quickly. Is there a better way to gain chi? Thanks!

I can answer this one. Yes try & max out your frost arrow but not the knockback arrow. The knockback will always be present regardless of it's level to leaving it at level one will save you mp.

Do not use Venomous at all it really is it worth it. You should be quite successful using Frost-Normal-Normal-Knockback-then normals til finish. Use Winged Shell if they get too close.