update settings

amadeusrox
amadeusrox Posts: 5 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Support Desk
dah. it says i need to select an update server from the drop down list.... yet there is no servers there! help me!! please!
Post edited by amadeusrox on

Comments

• Luixo - Sanctuary
    Luixo - Sanctuary Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I think the best thing to do is to verify the files, and click update see if that's all done then reset the game and then see if there is any servers from the list. If not just re-post and a mod will help or someone else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • amadeusrox
    edited September 2009
    how do i verify the files without the menu? (the update settings come up as soon as i click on perfect world.)
  • Luixo - Sanctuary
    Luixo - Sanctuary Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, let the files update since there is normally updates every week nearly, they take some time too sometimes, wait till it's all done then it will say ready, underneath should be a verify button just to check you've got everything and no bugs.

Also have you downloaded it or is this during download?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • amadeusrox
    edited September 2009
    files? i don't know which files u r talking about
  • amadeusrox
    edited September 2009
    ok i got rid of the update settings thing. i can't launch it yet though
  • amadeusrox
    edited September 2009
    i can't launch the game cuz of the update settings.
    i look for an update server and there is nothing there. what do i do?
  • aryannamage
    aryannamage Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Have you tried the manual patch yet?

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=87242
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • speedj2
    speedj2 Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I am also having this problem.
    it doesn't even check to see what the current version is or if updates are required or anything it just pops up as soon as i run patcher.exe. Also, I've tried the manual patch but i get a patch failed error as soon as i run it. no details, just a little window titled error with an ok button in it. I've even tried reinstalling it from scratch and tried doing the manual patch from both 175 and from 166. Every time I get the same thing.
    it was running fine a little over a week ago, which was the last time i played using this particular machine, and I haven't installed anything or changed any settings since then. also, the operating system is windows xp but it was running fine before so i don't think its an OS error. but i have it running fine, updated to 182 and everything, on my main computer w/ vista, so i dont think its a router or internet issue either. i dont know what else to try. I even tried restoring a backup w/ system restore from when it was working and im still having the exact same problem.
    I must be missing something. Any suggestions?
  • speedj2
    edited September 2009
    if any one has any idea how i might fix this or even any idea of what might be causing it, Please Post. thnx b:surrender

also heres a screenie:
    annoyingx.jpg w685.png

and just to clarify it starts up like this and in the spot with the 2 bars it doesnt show the version number and it doesnt show it checking files or anything either.
  • Lycannus - Dreamweaver
    Lycannus - Dreamweaver Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    i dont no if this will work but try unchecking the automatic update
  • speedj2
    edited September 2009
    nope. i guess i should have mentioned i already tried messing with all those settings, nothing changed. actually i dont seem to be able to save those settings anyway since the only way to exit is to x out. if i click cancel or confirm it just gives me an error message telling me i must select a server. thanks anyway though. b:thanks
    in any case i dont see how that would effect whether or not the servers are detected.
  • surtr
    surtr Posts: 3,378 Perfect World Employee
    edited September 2009
    If you're using Windows Vista, try running the patcher as administrator.
    ==/Senior QA Lead/==

Surtr from the south wielding fire
    The gods' swords shine in the darkness, like stars in the night
    Mountains collapse into rubble and fiends shall fall
    Man walks the road to ruin as the sky splits in two

• shlomo2
    shlomo2 Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    are you running it with non-microsoft firewall software? if you do don't forget to allow launcher, pather, pwprotector and elementclient.
    I'm King_Solomon, from Heaven's Tear server.

If you're willing to join another online game, do NOT join any game hosted by K2 NETWORK. Wanna know why? See BBB complaints.
  • speedj2
    edited September 2009
    where is pwprotector at? i couldnt find it. also i am using eset nod32 antivirus and am beginning to think that might have something to do with it. ive tried deactivating it and even closing it and all its background processes, but still no go. i think ill try uninstalling it all together tomorrow and see if that works. i just figured out yesterday that avast was what was causing punkbuster to have connection issues on one of my other machines. and the only thing that fixed it was fully uninstalling it. this might be a similar issue.
  • speedj2
    edited September 2009
    well i can safely say its not the anti-virus. upon close inspection of my browsers download history i realized the game was downloaded a day after the new antivirus. and it worked fine for a couple weeks. so i'm completely out of ideas because i did absolutely nothing to that computer between the time it was working fine and when it stopped. all that changed in that time was the 182 patch release, and if that were the cause i would think a lot more people would have this problem, wouldn't they? i don't know what else it could be. any help here would be very much appreciated.
  • speedj2
    edited September 2009
    man i wish these forums were useful. there not like most places where if i have a problem and post about it, i usually get plenty of feedback. am i really the only one who has this problemb:puzzled? the only thing that changed when this started was that the 182 patch came out. before that it was working fine.

hey amadeusrox, did u get yours fixed? or did u just give up like im about to dob:bye? if your still around your input would be appreciated.

btw i found pwprotectorb:victory, it didnt help any thoughb:irritated.
  • Archies - Sanctuary
    Archies - Sanctuary Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    speedj2 wrote: »
    man i wish these forums were useful. there not like most places where if i have a problem and post about it, i usually get plenty of feedback. am i really the only one who has this problemb:puzzled? the only thing that changed when this started was that the 182 patch came out. before that it was working fine.

hey amadeusrox, did u get yours fixed? or did u just give up like im about to dob:bye? if your still around your input would be appreciated.

btw i found pwprotectorb:victory, it didnt help any thoughb:irritated.

: Assuming u downloaded client from PW Site
    http://pwi.perfectworld.com/download

To enjoy Perfect World International you need to install the client.
    File size : 3.0GB - Client version : 166 - Released: August 2009

Step 1

Start>Control panel >Add or remove program

Select Perfect World International --->Click Uninstall

Step 2

Reboot the PC[turn off pc then turn on ]

Step 3

Install the Game to any location [eg D:\Games\Perfect World]

Step 3

When installing it ask whether u want to verity the Setup

Click Yes

Step 4

After install it again ask do u want 2 verity the installed program

Note: Verifing takes time [5-10minutes]

Step 5:

Download the Patches Manuely ie

Pathc from version : 166 to latest

Links
    Copyed from PWI download page

http://pwi-ns.perfectworld.com/patches/manual/ec_patch_166-188.cup

http://pwi-ns.perfectworld.com/patches/manual/ec_patch_184-188.cup

• speedj2
    edited September 2009
    thanks for all the replies everyone. and sorry about my rant yesterday. i know its a huge forum so its easy to see how a thread could get lost. i just have a hard time believing im the only one with this problem. anyway i haven't given up yetb:victory.

heres whats got me stumpedb:question, you see, i have 2 computers on my network that are used for this game. one is vista home premium 64bit and one is xp pro 32bit. both have the exact same antivirus and spyware blocker and both are hooked up through the same router. i built both machines myself and they both have mostly the same hardware setup as well(the main difference being the xp one has a dual core).

everything works perfectly on the vista computer. when i open patcher (i dont even use run as administrator), it shows it verifying the version and whatnot and then it shows the current version above the bars and below it says "client out of date" "preparing to update" and then the update settings window pops up with the option of patch_1 or patch_2 to choose from. none of that happens on xp. it doesnt say anything around the bars and the update settings window pops up immediately with no options in the server dropdown list.

the other thing that bothers me is the fact that everything was working perfectly fine for the first couple of weeks after it was installed. i even used the patcher's update feature to update when i first installed it. i didnt change anything on the computer during the week that it stopped working. the only thing that changed was that the 182 patch came out. which updated fine on my vista pc. but i just cant figure how the patch would cause this. especially since I've been installing 166 everytime i tried reinstalling it. also as mentioned previously when i try to use the manual patch it downloads ok as far as i can tell, but when i run it, i just get a small window thats titled "error" and has an ok button in it but no message.b:sweat

if anyone has any idea of something i could try or check or something i may have missed that could help please postb:thanks
    @ Archies
    yes ive done all that. infact ive even redownloaded everything just to be sure each time i tried reinstalling(i have a good connection). still no luck. thnx anyway though.
  • smugpin1
    smugpin1 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    : Assuming u downloaded client from PW Site
    http://pwi.perfectworld.com/download

To enjoy Perfect World International you need to install the client.
    File size : 3.0GB - Client version : 166 - Released: August 2009

Step 1

Start>Control panel >Add or remove program

Select Perfect World International --->Click Uninstall

Step 2

Reboot the PC[turn off pc then turn on ]

Step 3

Install the Game to any location [eg D:\Games\Perfect World]

Step 3

When installing it ask whether u want to verity the Setup

Click Yes

Step 4

After install it again ask do u want 2 verity the installed program

Note: Verifing takes time [5-10minutes]

Step 5:

Download the Patches Manuely ie

Pathc from version : 166 to latest

Links
    Copyed from PWI download page

http://pwi-ns.perfectworld.com/patches/manual/ec_patch_166-188.cup

http://pwi-ns.perfectworld.com/patches/manual/ec_patch_184-188.cup

I followed these instructions exactly but when i try to install ec_patch_166-188.cup it says servererror.th.png
    update server patch failed please try other update server.. i dont understand its a manual update!!

the game hangs on the file called consume_reward.cfg when i auto update
  • speedj2
    edited September 2009
    ok i tried using the latest manual update 166-188 and this time the empty window with the ok button was titled "update failed" instead of just "error". so umm, ya, not really any progress on that front.b:sweat
    also ive tried opening my router ports but networking is my weak spot so im not 100% sure i did it right but it still doesnt work. i figure it shouldnt make a difference anyway since it works fine on my other pc so im thinking its gotta be a xp issue, unless xp and vista use different ports. but i didnt see anything about that on the network settings faq. what about xp pro is different than vista home premium in such a way that it would cause this. any ideas?b:question
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Well, it looks like you have narrowed it down to the XP machine. So it could be the network settings on that PC, and/or the security/firewall settings. If the software updated differently from the Vista one, it may handle permissions and what it views as harmful differently.

Did you check out the microsoft link in the network info for XP network settings?
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • eugenwolf
    eugenwolf Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Ok , If you didn't solved the problem:
    Please Try the East-Asian Language Pack

I had the same Problem like almost a lot of people around here .

After I Installed it , The Auto Update Worked ...
    Hope it works for you too :)
    P.S. Download and Install Even if you Have Vista . Works with Vista and XP .

Best Regards ,
    Eugen

Peaceb:victory
  • speedj2
    edited October 2009
    well, i got my laptop (also has vista on it) back from repairs and everything works fine on it so im just posting to let yall know that im giving up since its not worth reformatting the computer over this one game. b:surrender
    also i did try the language pack.
    still, if anyone else whos had this specific problem happens to figure it out please post, as i would love to get it fixed, its just not worth my time anymore since i only need it to work on two computers anyway.
    good luck b:bye b:victory

oh and please read the entire thread before you post as i find it very annoying when people post on the wrong error or post a suggestion that has already been tried. just read the whole thread and save everyone the trouble of wasting their time on your post. and you might actually be able to be useful as youll have a better idea of whats going on.
This discussion has been closed.