Internet... Bandwith Issues?

bloodyspork
bloodyspork Posts: 3 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Support Desk
I've had this problem for the last year. Whenever I'm at school on breaks, I usually have my laptop out (because I have 2 hour breaks) and I've tried to play PW.

The internet is an insecure network, but it won't let me sign on to perfect world. It gets through everything, and then when I try to sign on, it stays on the loading thing and says "cannot connect to server".

Since It's a university-wide wifi, does that mean that they put a bandwith limit on it? (is it even called bandwith limit?) and is there any way I can get around it? Thank you.
Post edited by bloodyspork on

Comments

• shlomo2
    shlomo2 Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    no that's not a bandwidth limit. it's blocking PW (game, not site) ports. as you say it's not a secure environment so i guess you're aware someone could be sniffing your password as you try to connect.
    I'm King_Solomon, from Heaven's Tear server.

If you're willing to join another online game, do NOT join any game hosted by K2 NETWORK. Wanna know why? See BBB complaints.
  • bloodyspork
    bloodyspork Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Hmm. Blocking. Is there anyway to block the signal it gives so it doesnj'
    t read it as a game client?
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Your school may have certain network ports blocked that the game uses, and/or may have a domain list of websites that you ARE allowed to connect to only.

Game and torrent traffic often is blocked or throttled heavily by universities.

Talk with the IT department for the school and see what their policies are.

You can try talking to the network or IT guys and tell them about the game, how it is free, how fun it is to play, and how you'd like them to play the game with you, possibly joining the faction you play in. They might hook you up and play the game with you! b:pleased
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    yar you have the same problem I have and woot go darthpanda!
    i'm still trying to figure out who the heck is the IT tech/admin of our school. DX
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.