Pet: Eldergoth Sharpshoter...?

Options
Incalae - Dreamweaver
Incalae - Dreamweaver Posts: 5 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Venomancer
Anyone want to give the dialogue on why an eldergoth sharpshooter, with starting lv 5 bash, isin't used as a pet?

lv 5!

kthxbye

-inky.
Post edited by Incalae - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Sevas - Heavens Tear
    Sevas - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Because there are better pets out there. Because most venos only get it for its ranged abilities when its skills are off (though I prefer the cactus to an ape).
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Anyone want to give the dialogue on why an eldergoth sharpshooter, with starting lv 5 bash, isin't used as a pet?

lv 5!

kthxbye

-inky.
    The Sharpshooters aren't bad at all. And really it would be stupid for anyone to knock you for using one. However, when you reach higher lvls, dmg+aggro means a whole helluva lot, especially in the 70s and beyond when DD's really start yanking aggro from both hercs and barbs, the ability to keep aggro is the biggest focus as a veno if you ever intend on tanking. An rl friend of mine pimped his rhinodrake, and does fine with it, but always defers to magmites/hercs when in dungeons (TT/FB/BH/FC/etc). Just know your/it's limits.
  • Incalae - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2009
    Options
    well...

ok. here's my question, then!

i'm finding myself in a lot of parties (i'm 47) where i'm the lowbie. and 1 of 2-3 magmites running around.

and frankly, it's dumb. and visually distracting. plus it's a nightmare to target. so, i want a SMALLER pet that has less health then a magmite, but does more damage. for dungeons, so fliers are out.

the sharpshooter or warrior looked interesting. what would you recommend?

edit: ...and one that's not stupid to get. re: rares/hercs/ect.
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    Sevas - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Kowlin at L60. It's damn sexy! b:victory Plus it's fast and comes with L4 Fleshream and two debuff skills. =3 The nix's land counterpart.
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    Alexeno - Sanctuary Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Kowlin at L60. It's damn sexy! b:victory Plus it's fast and comes with L4 Fleshream and two debuff skills. =3 The nix's land counterpart.
    edit: ...and one that's not stupid to get. re: rares/hercs/ect.

i think the point of my post is summed up above b:laugh

@Incalae-> the best land pet in terms of DPS (damage per second) is the level 3 starter scorpion, which you can tame outside any of the three starter cities (plume, lost city, and etherblade)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Hell hath no fury like Alexeno trying to prove his point" -Mizuoni
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Scorpion Pup, Varicose Scorpion, or Pollen Scorpion. All three come with Bash L.1, so choose the color you want.

A sharpshooter is more valuable in uses, but it's sometimes nice having a high dmg pet for the mobs/ bosses that pets aren't gimped like players on.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options

lv 5!

kthxbye

-inky.

It's recommended quite a bit actually. Once you're higher level though and a herc is considered standard it's knocked down to #2 or #3 on the pet usefulness chart. The range effect of it is very beneficial for luring and some tanking. In order to make use of skills such as to hold aggro while grinding, the pet will have to get up close and take some melee though which isn't it's strong suit. Outside of Slitt/Slither though I wouldn't recommend using an Eldergoth as a squad tank when it comes to bosses, it won't generate the necessary aggro unless everyone is content to stand around for several minutes letting aggro build up. This is the downside of a range tank, you want it to be far away to lessen the dps it takes, but that means it doesn't get to use aggro skills.

Anyways, it's really good to have one and to keep it leveled up, I would say it's my second most useful pet. The first being my herc, the third being my nix (the game hasn't evolved in a nix friendly way... most stuff of worth is indoors).
  • tweakz
    edited September 2009
    Options
    FC is popular lately, and I find my Marksman useful there for Harpies, and Bishops. I can heal from outside their AoE range, but with a Herc I could probably go in and out of range to heal anyway.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    My squad for Frost has 2 venos in it, the way we deal with bishops is the barb uses roar, and whatever else to lock aggro, and we use novas to lock stuff down, our pets grab occasional mobs. It gives about 12 seconds of locked mobs (his nova is considerably lower level than mine). And by using the herc, it can better tank a mob than the marksman can, meaning I can nuke more and heal less, which then leads to faster kills (especially on the bishops/blue fox guys). On top of that, I'm already in close range for myriad fox and amp.

When it comes to harpies, I agree the marksman can be useful, but I've found a more effective party strategy is to either let me aggro it, then run, which pulls it to the ground at which point my herc can take it, which results in me taking roughly 2 hits (the downside of this is, if the herc loses aggro, the harpy will fly up high, so no one can hit it... a marksman has a considerable aggro advantage over a herc) or I just tank it myself. It's quite entertaining to lock a harpy for a bit with lucky, Nova (along with the other mobs we're fighting when the harpy paths into us), and then another lucky scarab. It takes it out of the fight for quite awhile while and gives plenty of aggro for me to fox form for the mitigation and make use of leech. Since I just trained feral concentration, maybe I'll try that after the second lucky... 10 more seconds of zero damage to me. The marksman on the other hand either attacks from far away and won't hold aggro or uses the herc strat but holds it better.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    If you're looking at pets with ridiculously outlevelled skills, the snakevalley bloodwolf (lvl27) has fleshream 4, and rips through monsters for more than a few levels. (It's not very tough though, probably not a long-term pet)
  • tweakz
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Lunar Lupin - Howl Level 5, would probably make a good grinding pet, BUT a sharpshooter / marksman is more useful.
  • QTKyuubi - Sanctuary
    QTKyuubi - Sanctuary Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Sharpshooter is pretty much my primary pet b:victory Especially now since most mobs are now more magick based.

Secondary for me is magmite which i tend to use only for melee only mobs. Its big its slow and weak on magic. Don't get me wrong magmites totally useful I just find lately my eldergoth has taken center stage.

Why i love my Mojo
    Eldergoths are amazing pets overall. Unlike magmites, once you get Herc you are still going want to hold on to this pet so you can be comfortable investing in skills.

Best pull pets with their ranged attack + ground speed, + hp and defences.

Well balanced hp/mdef/pdef and great for tanking aoe bosses as it lets you stay out of aoe range safely

Can quickly steal aggro when you need it. Faster than a magmite and comes with Bash 5 b:dirty and roar to save the squishies!

How wouldn't want a giant purple monkey as a pet b:chuckle

Marksmen their albino counter parts come with slightly better figures for their stats but can't get bash lvl 5 until lvl 85. It's a matter of personal choice and style. Personally i like having bash lvl 5 from the get go very handy and helps save the pennies, and purple, come on no contest b:cute

When it comes to cactus vs magmite, personally i find cactus pretty slow and lacking on the hp side, so where eldergoth can out pull a kowlin for speed cactus can't.

I prefer to raise as few "mandatory" pets as possible and goths cover several requirements that would other wise have to be done by 2 or more less adequate pets.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mascot of Apocalyps b:cute
    Eldergoths FTW Go Mojo Go
  • tweakz
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Marksmen their albino counter parts come with slightly better figures for their stats but can't get bash lvl 5 until lvl 85.

It's 80.
    When it comes to cactus vs magmite, personally i find cactus pretty slow and lacking on the hp side, so where eldergoth can out pull a kowlin for speed cactus can't.

Cactus vs Magmite? b:chuckle -I've made this error too. Eldergoth ranged's also have slightly higher atk.

More about ranged pets: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=323451
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    It does not shoot sharply enough, nor does it actually shoot at all. It only throws rocks, not shoots them, plus they are not sharp objects.

Why would anyone use such a horribly misnamed pet? :p
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    It does not shoot sharply enough, nor does it actually shoot at all. It only throws rocks, not shoots them, plus they are not sharp objects.

Why would anyone use such a horribly misnamed pet? :p

because it is purple?
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • littlemoya
    littlemoya Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    umm is pretty ugly u know.....
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    littlemoya wrote: »
    umm is pretty ugly u know.....

I only commented on the color, not its other aesthetic appeals.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Allyson - Harshlands
    Allyson - Harshlands Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Out of curiosity, in terms of stats marksman > sharpshooter?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ima dudeb:angry
    youtube.com/watch?v=RZhg727Mtw0
  • Lolite - Heavens Tear
    Lolite - Heavens Tear Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    What are the stats difference between an eldergoth and cactus? o.o Which one is better as a ranged pet?
    Moved to WoW b:bye
  • Incalae - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2009
    Options
    are there any charmable spiders?

i'd like a spider for aesthetic reasons. :P
  • tweakz
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Out of curiosity, in terms of stats marksman > sharpshooter?

Stats are negligible. Sharpshooter is slightly faster, Marksman slightly higher def/hp/atk.
    What are the stats difference between an eldergoth and cactus? o.o Which one is better as a ranged pet?

Lv. 90 stats: http://www.ecatomb.net/pwi/petstat.php
    are there any charmable spiders?

i'd like a spider for aesthetic reasons. :P

I think you just have to wait for an expansion to come out. You can check the database: http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/drop