Advice on sharding

Tisa - Dreamweaver
Tisa - Dreamweaver Posts: 100 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Venomancer
Hello!

I'm approaching level 90 and currently using a pure mag build. After playing with PWI calc a bit i came up with 2 sets of numbers for HP and Pdef with TT90 armors. I'd like some opinions what you guys think looks better or would work better for my veno. All stats are basic.

Mostly citrine sharding:

5480 HP - 2525 Pdef (5828 Pdef Foxform)

Garnet sharding:

4745 HP - 3364 Pdef (7780 Pdef Foxform)

On a sidenote, i don't pvp much (almost never) if that makes a difference.

Thanks for all your replies! b:thanks
Post edited by Tisa - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• XCLUSiiVEMEi - Sanctuary
    XCLUSiiVEMEi - Sanctuary Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Hello!

I'm approaching level 90 and currently using a pure mag build. After playing with PWI calc a bit i came up with 2 sets of numbers for HP and Pdef with TT90 armors. I'd like some opinions what you guys think looks better or would work better for my veno. All stats are basic.

Mostly citrine sharding:

5480 HP - 2525 Pdef (5828 Pdef Foxform)

Garnet sharding:

4745 HP - 3364 Pdef (7780 Pdef Foxform)

On a sidenote, i don't pvp much (almost never) if that makes a difference.

Thanks for all your replies! b:thanks
    if you dont pvp, then go full hp i would say since most of the time your pet will be tanking :P
  • Tisa - Dreamweaver
    Tisa - Dreamweaver Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    if you dont pvp, then go full hp i would say since most of the time your pet will be tanking :P

Yeah...but i do get hit a lot. Sure, when grinding i rarely get hit, but even then the damage is almost irrelevant (right click healing pot & continue).

However, when doing AoE bosses, randomly aggro'ing a mob in higher level instances, farming FB89 (e.g. Abonimation random aggro switch), pulling ranged mobs (ever been hit by a sacrificial cactus?) , pet dies and such you do get hit, and you get hit Hard.

This is where i spend 95% of my time and this is where i'd like to know what would work better in order to increase my survivability. What i'm saying is, don't assume i don't get hit just because i have a pet...things don't always work out as planned, but why should a single mistake or unexptected situation mean death.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Garnet = cheaper, arcane/mag covers mag def. Lower HP =easier/ cheaper to fill.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Cenminator - Dreamweaver
    Cenminator - Dreamweaver Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    hp is good against all types of dmg
    phys def is good against phys dmg/no help against mag dmg

i always go with citrine because more hp is always good
  • turtlewax
    turtlewax Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    hp is good against all types of dmg

And higher defense will effectively increase the number of hits per amount healed heal or, in other words, lower the amount of healing required to compensate for getting hit.
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    turtlewax wrote: »
    And higher defense will effectively increase the number of hits per amount healed heal or, in other words, lower the amount of healing required to compensate for getting hit.

true go with a mixture of both. ^.^
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    5480 hp, 41% physical, 61% physical fox
    vs
    4745 hp, 48% physical, 68% physical fox

That's 5480 hp and taking 59%/39% damage or 4745 hp and taking 52%/32% damage.

So you would be trading off 15.5% hp to take damage 12%/18% better. How often are you using foxform? It's one of those buffs where as arcane you don't need to be in it often defense wise (outside of the usual 20% to maximize effectiveness) but when you do, it helps a ton.

If it helps with your decision at all, I'm planning to go garnets, I would rather have the higher defense against physical ae's than a few more hp. A lot of the armor I get already has some hp and refines add more. There's not all that much reason for me to go citrines too when I can get a good benefit out of the garnets.

I don't know what types of squads you run with, but some quick estimating for those gear sets (I'll be off a bit since I can't tell exactly how much physical resist is on the gear), I'm coming up with around
    7398 hp 3848 def/7151 fox def
    6176 hp 5126 def/9542 fox def

This would work out to
    7398 hp 51%/66%
    6176 hp 58%/72%

Which would mean
    7398 hp 49% taken/34% taken
    6409 hp 42% taken/28% taken

That's still a 15.5% hp gap for 14%/17% less taken. That might alter your opinion since the range changes from 12/18 to 14/17 which makes garnets more appealing if you're not in fox very much, and less appealing if you're in fox a lot.. Anyways, like I said, I plan to do garnets, the logic basically being, it's easier to heal 5000 hp that takes 50% damage, than 10000 hp that takes 100% damage, since small heals are effectively worth more.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    There was a biiig study on the forum not long ago, which I forgot to bookmark - gave a nice graph and everything.

Showed the break-even point where HP was better than defence.

The lesson I took home from it was, pretty much, even with the crappy defence I get from arcane armour, I'm *still* strictly better of sharding HP.

I'd need a LOT more HP before defence becomes more useful.
  • tweakz
    edited September 2009
    I use fox a lot as arcane for extreme conditions, and still go with garnets. Fox multiplies on the garnet's defense. If I need better mag defense instead for extreme conditions: I equip some +mag equips which also come in handy for boss tanking / pet healing.

Don't know why I share this advice, because I'd prefer to keep Garnets cheap.

And yeah, as Brael points out: HP comes from refines. Better is +vitality which adds defense as well as HP.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Another thing to keep in mind is that as a veno, if you have fewer hp, you gain more mana per hp regen when you use Soul Transformation.

e.g. If you had 6k mana, and are trying to decide between 4k hp and 5k hp.

With 4k hp, each point of hp you regen from a potion or regeneration translates into 1.5 points of mana.

With 5k hp, each point of hp you regen from a potion or regeneration translates into 1.2 points of mana.

If you solo a lot, it can make a pretty big difference in how effective ST is at helping replenish your hp and mana when MB and NG are on cooldown and you're forced to pot. I've found it shows up most when soloing bosses, since you're casting non-stop and often end up low on mana with both MB and NG still on cooldown.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2009
    While that's true Solandri, I haven't been a big fan of that argument since genies came out, the reason is because tree of protection is a percent heal, and even after the recent change is still cheaper healing for the coin than normal potions, by far even with relatively few hp though there is a minimum hp pool/tree level for it to still be the case. It would apply to essence penetration though.
  • tweakz
    edited September 2009
    I'm still using the L70 hp pots which cost (npc for) 490 ea. Transfuse at ~50% and it almost fills (fills itself by the time I need mp again). ToP Increased base Stamina cost to 700 with the recent patch which isn't reflected in the tool tip accurately. Perfect Stones appear to sell quickly at 950ea. I don't know the stamina per stone but I *think it's still wiser to use pots for spam healing on bosses?
  • $iren - Heavens Tear
    $iren - Heavens Tear Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Hi I'm curious as to the number of sockets and refines you are calculating as well as what cape, hat, ornaments will be used. At 91 with TT90 arcane set(+3 refine 3 sockets all flaw cits) I have 4700 hp 1800 pdef 7800 mana unbuffed.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2009
    tweakz wrote: »
    I'm still using the L70 hp pots which cost (npc for) 490 ea. Transfuse at ~50% and it almost fills (fills itself by the time I need mp again). ToP Increased base Stamina cost to 700 with the recent patch which isn't reflected in the tool tip accurately. Perfect Stones appear to sell quickly at 950ea. I don't know the stamina per stone but I *think it's still wiser to use pots for spam healing on bosses?

720 stamina each. At 60 str 60 dex (I'm using these values because those also happen to be the str/dex amounts necessary for blinding sand to be a 100% debuff) ToP provides an 86.4% heal at level 10 (side note, the old one capped at 80%), now when you transfuse and your total hp will affect this, but lets say you have 3000 hp. If you transfuse at 50% you're looking at a 1500 heal, ToP would give you that 1500 of healing for the 700 stamina, which at your price works out to 923 coin. But here's the trick. Transfuse lower. Buy your own gear to decompose, even after the change I'm able to get 1 stamina for about .8 coin (I used to get it for .6 on average). Transfuse at 20% and using the perfect stones to fund buying cheaper stamina and you're getting a 2400 heal for 560 coin. Which is quite a bit better ratio than a potion, and doesn't require you to keep your max hp low. This could also work to your benefit at level 100 due to Fossilized Curse, though that's still a ways away for most venos.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    720 stamina each. At 60 str 60 dex (I'm using these values because those also happen to be the str/dex amounts necessary for blinding sand to be a 100% debuff) ToP provides an 86.4% heal at level 10 (side note, the old one capped at 80%),
    Don't have the skill, but from what I hear, ToP is 700 stamina at level 1. At level 10 it's supposedly around 1000 stamina.

Second Wind at level 10 gives 800 hp + 2% per str for just 320 stamina. So with 60 str it would give 800 + 120% = 1760. That's 5.375 hp per stamina. Downside is it has a 60 sec cooldown.

For ToP to be as efficient, at 1000 stamina it would need to restore 5375 hp. So with an 86.4% heal, you'd need to have 6221 hp. Less than that and Second Wind is more efficient.

If I'm wrong and ToP only uses 700 stamina, it would need to restore 3762 hp. You would have to have 4354 hp or more for ToP to be more efficient.

Note that these numbers only apply to both skills at level 10 and 60 str. The way the skills are set up, you pretty much have to calculate each case by yourself. With 4 variables (skill level, str, dex, and your hp), it's impossible to make any sort of plot of this that's viewable on a web page.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2009
    10 is still 700 stamina. 279210 to 278510 on my genie just now when I tested.