Beginner's Guide To Choosing A Class

Technotic - Sanctuary
Technotic - Sanctuary Posts: 591 Arc User
edited May 2012 in Dungeons & Tactics
First of all, welcome to Perfect World International. Let me tell a little history about myself. I played previous versions of Perfect World over many servers. I remember always having trouble deciding which class was best for me. I now have a character of each class over level 60+ and very well built. I've never had a complaint on my character build or not being able to do my part. Some of you might disagree with this guide but I think this will help many people.

In this guide, I will help you decide which class you really want and a few things to work on in that class. This guide is built around PvE (Player Vs. Environment). I will give you a short summery on each class, then go further into detail for that class.

Part I Choosing a class: Here I will describe the overall "duties" of each class and their secondary jobs.

Archer(Arch): You are the DD, known as the Damage Dealer. Your only job is to deal very high amounts of damage. You will have almost no resistance and will rely heavily on others for support, also due to only doing half damage to targets within 5 meters. But every group needs an Archer if they hope to accomplish anything higher up. A possible Secondary job for an archer is physical tank, due to its incredibly high evasion.

Cleric(Cler): You are the Healer and Buffer. Each class has its own buffs, but the Cleric is the known buffer. Cleric is a must in 99% of the tasks throughout your journey in PW. You only have 1 extremely powerful offense attack, beyond that you stay out of the way. Your job is to keep everyone alive and healed. You secondary job could be an elemental tank. You will naturally have very high magic resistance, and you can heal yourself.

Wizard(Wiz): You are the DD (Damage Dealer) of elemental power. The Wizard ties with the Cleric in terms of armor and weaponry. Although the Cleric is built on healing people, you are the "Archer" of elemental damage. Having multiple elements to choose from you can easily pick out the monsters weakness and use it against them. Your primary job is to deal high amounts of elemental damage. For your second job, you can be classified as the elemental tank along with the Cleric, due to the high elemental resistance.

Blademaster(BM): You are a cross-breed from a tank and a damage dealer. You are built on strength giving you an extremely high physical defense and physical offense as well. Your health bar normally never gets near the Barbarians HP, but you make up for it in physical resistance. Your primary job is to help tank and defend the rest of the squad. Some may argue on that, but that's what you end up doing anyways. Your secondary job is rely as a primary tank if there is no Barbarian around.

Barbarian(Barb or BB): The Tank. Simple as that. Extremely high health bar with a large amount of physical resistance (Not as high as BM). You and the Cleric are the heart of 99% of the squads in the game. You can withstand high hits and keep aggression(Aggro) on you and away from your squad. Your main job is to keep Aggro so that the damage dealers can do their job and not have to worry about a boss turning around and step on them. Because of your high hp, you will have a lower damage count. Everyone needs a tank. Your secondary job could be a damage dealer when not in Tiger Form. Although not being in Tiger Form gives you more damage, it also lowers your ability to survive. Some Non-Tiger Form Barbs can act as a BM.

Venomancer(Veno): You are the summoner as well as the curse dealer. You can summon incredible monsters to fight your battles with the strength of a BM and the life of a Tank allowing you to solo most of the game. Your skills revolve around 2 things, magic damage and Fox Form. Fox Form can conjure curses from every which direction, giving your squad the advantage in anything you do. Magic form can summon Wood damage attacks and poisons. Not as powerful as a Wizards pure elemental power, but it's still something to think about. Primary job of a Venomancer is to curse enemies with godlike plagues and to summon the most unholy creatures imaginable. Your secondary job, which is used everywhere, is to "Pull" monsters.

Part II Brief discussion on manufacturing: I'm not going to go into much detail with this.

Apothecary: Creating potions and other materials to aid in battle.
Blacksmith: Creates weapons.
Tailor: Creates armor.
Craftsmen: Creates rings and other jewelry as well as supplies.

To level on these takes a good amount of coin. Everyone needs each type of manufacturing though later on to get high level gear and equipment.

Part III More details on your class: After reading Part I, you choose which class you think you would enjoy the most. Here are the further advanced details for each class once you've chosen it.

Archer: You will have extremely high critical hit rate, evasion, and accuracy. You only do 1/2 damage up close, so try to keep everything away from you as much as possible. You will discover later on that you must have a Barbarian to keep aggro from you. If not, you will steal aggro each and every time you hit something because of your extremely high damage. You will use Light Armor, and your overall stats build will be 4 Dexterity and 1 Strength per level. You are mainly used for your Barrage skill which causes hundreds of arrows to rain all over the battlefield.

Cleric: You will have a very high amount of Mana and you will be needed everywhere. From being the party healer and buffer, you will also be called from all over the map to revive people. You are the support for the entire Perfect World. You will use Arcane Armor and your overall build will be 9 Magic and 1 Strength every two levels. You are mainly used for your ability to heal but everyone wants a cleric to have a maxed out Revive skill. A maxed out Revive gives more experiance back when they are brought back from the dead.

Wizard: Being the extremely powerful elemental damage dealer, you will be relied on just as much as an Archer. You will use Arcane Armor for most of your path, but later on it is advised to use Light Armor to withstand some physical damage and get some critical hits in there. You won't rely on a Barbarian as much as an Archer which is a plus. For a pure damage Wizard you will use 9 Magic and 1 Strength every two levels. I suggest using Light Armor and getting 3 Magic, 1 Strength, and 1 Dexterity per level. You will be used for your fire skill "Dragon Breath". It has a wide area of effect(AOE) that causes fire damage to everything around you.

Blademaster: You are known for your ability to stun the enemy and act as a secondary tank passed down from the Barbarian. You have high damage but not enough to overpass the critical hits from an Archer. Your overall build will consist of a general 4 Strength and 1 Dexterity per level. I prefer to have 3 Strength, 1 Dexterity, and 1 into Vitality to act as a tank. You will be using Heavy Armor to withstand the high physical damage you'll be getting hit by. You can use any class of physical weapons to its full potential through your skill tree. You are known for your Drake skills.

Barbarian: You tank, DONE. You are only used to keep Aggro and survive. Both very vital parts in this game, especially the surviving part. You will have incredible health but lower damage in your Tiger Form. But wait... then how do you keep up with the Archers high damage and keep Aggro? Barbarians are NOT made to do damage, at all. They have abilities which keeps the Aggro of a monster focused on you. You will constantly be getting hit from every direction. You pair up with a Cleric very nicely in any situation. The overall build of a true tank is 2 Vitality, 1 Dexterity, and 6 Strength every two levels, which leaves you with 1 extra stat to put in either Vitality or Dexterity, depending on which you need to hold your gear. In general you just get enough Dexterity and Strength to hold your gear and the rest goes into Vitality if you really want to make a good character. You will use Heavy Armor. If you wish though, you can use Light Armor to withstand some of that elemental damage. But always remember, your are NOT the damage dealer. Your only job is to keep Aggro, and with your extremely high health, stay alive. You are known for your Tiger Form that keeps you and everyone else alive.

Venomancer: The Venomancer does not need armor in the over-all sense of things. The Venomancer has a summon to protect her and keep the Aggro. But armor always helps this whole staying alive thing. So you will use Arcane Armor because of your extremely high Magic you're going to have. You will use the build, 9 Magic and 1 Strength every two levels if you're going for a pure Veno with Arcane Armor. There is nothing wrong with a Veno going 3 Magic, 1 Strength, and 1 Dex per level to use Light Armor. You're not going to get hit much, so the only thing that Light Armor will do for you is raise your Dexterity which in return raises your critical hit rate. I suggest sticking to Arcane Armor though. Most of your skills have high Magic damage percentage. Such as 5000 damage +300% magic damage. So you won't be doing much critical hits, you want to keep a higher damage in general. Thus, the Arcane Armor works best. You are known for your ability to "Pull" and curse monsters. "Pulling" is used to pull one monster out from a group at a time to kill, instead of killing a whole bunch at a time. Later on you will face very powerful monsters that you just can't fight all at once. So "Pulling" is required.

Part IV Summary: As you know this is just a guide to help you choose your character and what each character does. Some other people may disagree with me on these facts, but when it comes down to it... this is what each class is doing. After reading this guide and choosing what YOU want to become, I highly suggest looking down in the Class Discussion area to learn more about your class individually. Thank you for your time and enjoy your time at Perfect World International.

~Technotic
Say my name 3 times, I dare you.

~Technotic
TrueMyths.Guildplex.com
Post edited by Technotic - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Technotic - Sanctuary
    edited September 2009
    Saved for later information

~Technotic
    TrueMyths.Guildplex.com
  • mappam7
    mappam7 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Great Guide!!

Simple and to the point - no extra "fluff" - just the facts and description - easy to understand and use! b:victory

This should be a Sticky for new players to access!!!
    Hugs Pam

I live in my own little world - I like it there - everyone knows me.
  • Aquilonian - Dreamweaver
    Aquilonian - Dreamweaver Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Barbarian: You tank, DONE. You are only used to keep Aggro and survive. Both very vital parts in this game, especially the surviving part. You will have incredible health but lower damage in your Tiger Form. But wait... then how do you keep up with the Archers high damage and keep Aggro? Barbarians are NOT made to do damage, at all. They have abilities which keeps the Aggro of a monster focused on you. You will constantly be getting hit from every direction. You pair up with a Cleric very nicely in any situation. The overall build of a TRUE tank is 3 Vitality, 1 Dexterity, and 1 Strength per level. In general you just get enough Dexterity and Strength to hold your gear and the rest goes into Vitality. You will use Heavy Armor. If you wish though, you can use Light Armor to withstand some of that elemental damage. But always remember, your are NOT the damage dealer. Your only job is to keep Aggro, and with your extremely high health, stay alive. Your Vitality should ALWAYS be your highest stat point. You are known for your Tiger Form that keeps you and everyone else alive.

~Technotic

wait wait wait wait wait wait. what? 3 vit 1 str and 1dex per level? At my leve, level 80, that leaves me with 80 STR and 80 DEX. Am I supposed to be running around with lvl30 armour? 412 phys res instead of the 1112 from lv80 NPC armour? Whats the point of buttloads of HP is youre just gonna loose it? How can you tank if you cant take a hit? No HH or speciall armour?

Also I would be running around with lv24 polehammer at the most with such low str. wich is cool if all you do is tank and done.

80 dex? why 80 if the requirement for the only armour I can wear can wear with 80 str is 19 dex. Why do I need so much? Flesh ream hits 100%. If I am just tanking and all need is to keep aggro like you say.

I am all for crazy buids but this just seems like its going to be another unbalanced and expensive build to maintain.
    "Let's all be reasonable here. PWI hasn't fully kept their word about anything since the "Permanent" Charm Packs. This is just another example. We should be used to it by now." -Isala
  • Technotic - Sanctuary
    edited September 2009
    Ahhhh you're right. Sorry, must have been thinking of something else. Let me try to get that changed. I got the Strength and Vitality mixed.

Please inform me of any other changes.

~Technotic
    TrueMyths.Guildplex.com
  • KryBaby - Sanctuary
    KryBaby - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    an amazing guide! thank you so much for posting this. this really should be made a sticky. me and my friends are new to this game and this helped all of us b:victory
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Second venomancer section. You stated highest damage build would be: 4 magic and 1 strength. I believe it should be 4.5magic and 0.5str. My lvl 80 armour only needs around 43(ish) str.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Technotic - Sanctuary
    edited September 2009
    All suggestions so far have been noted and changed.

~Technotic
    TrueMyths.Guildplex.com
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    The build for pure wizzard actually is 4.5mag and .5str every lvl (so 9mag and 1str every 2 lvls)

Also low lvl wizzies should be carefull with using DB, as it aggro's all nearby mobs (if no barb has mass aggrod them). And 5 mobs at close range of you aggroing you = dead wizzie
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Technotic - Sanctuary
    edited September 2009
    I changed that as well as other builds to be more specific in the stats.

~Technotic
    TrueMyths.Guildplex.com
  • theuco
    theuco Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Thanks for the guide.
  • BrutalBlitzR - Heavens Tear
    BrutalBlitzR - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Your Vitality should ALWAYS be your highest stat point.

I like to start off by saying great guide. With the stats you gave us 6 STR 1 Dex 2 VIT(1 extra). But I plan on doing 6 STR, 1 DEX, 3 VIT every 2 lvls all the way to max lvl (if I ever get there ^.^) would this be enough str and dex for the max lvl armors and weapons? And going with these stats STR would be doubled than VIT.
  • Kismeta - Dreamweaver
    Kismeta - Dreamweaver Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    this is great. i already have all my charecters sorted out, but this helps with some of the things i felt like i should know, so never asked anyone. this should definatly be stickied its great.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<- tyvm to ForsakenX for the sig, <3 ur work

Vanquish for life

Clerics are not your slaves, we do not exist to do your bidding. We also have names. Saying please does not take a lot of typing. I react very badly to being yelled at. Please do not do it.
    Its rather sad when people automatically assume you are a guy just because you are playing a veno....
    Live life to its fullest, learn from your mistakes, and most importantly, have fun. b:victory
  • Iona - Harshlands
    Iona - Harshlands Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    b:embarrassI don't think I want an archer tanking anything.
    Just doesn't work. And secondly they do way worse dmg at close range.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Cleric looks boring... o_O;
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Cleric looks boring... o_O;

Ewwwwww.....I not like that description b:surrender

Clerics have High attacks (both magic and physical), Several different attacks, can heal, DD, tank bosses (of course not all but quite a few), One of the most sought after classes and can be put into just about any situation and still be able to heal squad and self while DD'ing (and tanking in many cases...depends on the boss). And best of all, we can be and are a great solo class for much of the game-play if needed/wanted to be.

Heck...how many clasess (besides Veno) can say they tanked their 99 culti bosses b:cute

Just a few thoughts and additions b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Technotic - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    i haven't seen this topic in ages, someone asked me to update it. :D

I'll take a look at it after dinner.

~Technotic
    TrueMyths.Guildplex.com
  • kevinwaynedanel
    kevinwaynedanel Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for the post! This thread definitely helped me decide on what class I want to try out! =)
  • Jaggerjaques - Sanctuary
    Jaggerjaques - Sanctuary Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Very nice guide!
    I'd like to add that blademasters can also hold decent agro on multiple mobs through AoE attacks, and support the tank and DD's by lowering enemy attack and defense.
    helr-cleric-8x
    Jaggerjaques-BM-8x
    blackrobe-wizard-7x
    _Tara-veno-6x
    Superpoke-sin-7x
    punching_bag-barb 7x
  • Amaraye - Heavens Tear
    Amaraye - Heavens Tear Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Nice guide!
    Although there you can't tell anyone HOW they should play a character it is great that this guide also introduces each character's role in detail and all in one post!!

It is good to have the roles written saved here for the newcomers' use!
    You get an A+ from me (a recent ex newb!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Moving in Harmony with Discord
  • Tsukuyomi - Raging Tide
    Tsukuyomi - Raging Tide Posts: 1,065 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    nice guide! thx bro
    P.S.F. (Professional Spamming Firm) Founder and actual Owner. b:cool
    P.S.F. actual members: BeingHope, Grippieluver, ShadowStorm, PsychicHarpy.

PM me to join my company.

I am known also as: KeyAxe.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Do you like to download stuff?
    Go to directdownloadworld.com, the best!
  • Technotic - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    I just have to update this for the new Tideborn now.... I don't know much about them :'(

~Technotic
    TrueMyths.Guildplex.com
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I just have to update this for the new Tideborn now.... I don't know much about them :'(

None of us really do b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Themax - Heavens Tear
    Themax - Heavens Tear Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    May I ask why would I need 4 str per level as a BM? 2.5 - 3 is enough for HA & Axes.
    Inactive on HT

Rerolled on HL
  • Technotic - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    BM uses physical damage which comes from strength for the most part. XD

~Technotic
    TrueMyths.Guildplex.com
  • ravenlis
    ravenlis Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    If you want a real guide for builds you go to the Class Discussion category and then to the related board for the class you're looking to create. There are many ways to build a veno (HA/LA/AA) as there are other ways to build wizzies and clerics. The magic classes tend to be the most flexible with builds. BMs slightly flexible because of all the weapons they can use that are so different.
  • Technotic - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    >.>

Did you even read the guide? I told you multiple times that this is just a brief description on classes, and for more details to use other guides. XD

~Technotic
    TrueMyths.Guildplex.com
  • Dollet - Sanctuary
    Dollet - Sanctuary Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Nice work, Tech. I hope this is added to the forum's beginner's guide sticky.

'Looking forward to what you say about the Sins and the Psychics!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ravenlis
    ravenlis Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    >.>

Did you even read the guide? I told you multiple times that this is just a brief description on classes, and for more details to use other guides. XD

I did read them, or at least the Venomancer parts. Got a good chuckle from your abbreviations for the classes. Barbs are never referred to as BB or at least I have never seen them referred to that way. BB always means Blue Bubble aka Regeneration Aura (L59 2 spark Cleric Party Heal). I disagree with your builds for the caster classes, mainly Veno and Cleric as those are my two current mains.

A cleric has very good attacks if they are kept up with, which is highly recommended. My personal favorite is their two spark AoE attack skill called Tempest. Good clerics go AoEing DoT mobs with Tempest + Razorfeathers. By good I mean gathering a good 15-25 mobs. Clerics are a better DD than you give them credit for. Wizzies have a higher elemental defense than all three (or now four) of the caster classes. Venos are no slouch at tanking without a pet unless they don't know what they're doing.

Out of curiosity, have you always only played an archer?
  • fiznik
    fiznik Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited December 2009

Barbarian(Barb or BB): The Tank. Simple as that. Extremely high health bar with a large amount of physical resistance (Not as high as BM).
    ~Technotic

Umm, nice guide, and appreciate the efforts as I'm sure many can use the guidance. The only thing I'm wondering is where you got the idea BM's have higher physical resistance than barbs? As a barb I have more phys. resistance than BM's 10 lvls higher than I. Did you perhaps mean physical attack? BM's have us on that aspect by far b:chuckle
  • fiznik
    fiznik Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Hmm, seems I stand corrected. Apparently I have spoken with fail or hybrid BM's previously. After checking with a BM I know to be built correctly they do have higher defense after all. So kudo's on the guide!