anyone else notice....

Options
Alexeno - Sanctuary
Alexeno - Sanctuary Posts: 1,006 Arc User
edited September 2009 in General Discussion
the explosive increase in scum players that are playing the game? seems like no matter where i go, i can't turn around without tripping over 2 or 3 scammers, under-13y/o players, etc... i might just be trippin, but i never remember there being this many rule-breakers and trollish people around (both ingame and on the forum)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Hell hath no fury like Alexeno trying to prove his point" -Mizuoni
Post edited by Alexeno - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Rillien - Heavens Tear
    Rillien - Heavens Tear Posts: 569 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Forums, definitely b:chuckle

Ingame, I mostly stick to faction and friends...don't do too much with strangers anymore. But big drama on HT worldchat today was someone scamming a lunar glade weapon off a well known generous player [who offered the trade on the promise that the rest of the money would come later]. So yes, plenty of scumbags out there. Probably has to do with growing playerbase in general though.
  • Lennson - Heavens Tear
    Lennson - Heavens Tear Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    It could be attributed to the fact that time and thought are no longer a requirements to do well in the game. A lot of money can now largely subsitute for these things.

(I wont say more or this thread may be locked; I may have said too much already)
  • Loontjuh - Sanctuary
    Loontjuh - Sanctuary Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Nah just alot of old players making a new char to join in the scamming for some quick coins, allways happens with events.

Dunno about the "under 13 year olds" this game is for all ages so it happens i guess, nothing wrong with that.
  • KatieMorgan - Sanctuary
    KatieMorgan - Sanctuary Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    yes since the new patch i've definitely noticed a lot more shameless lowlife catshop scammers in west arch...
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    the explosive increase in scum players that are playing the game? seems like no matter where i go, i can't turn around without tripping over 2 or 3 scammers, under-13y/o players, etc... i might just be trippin, but i never remember there being this many rule-breakers and trollish people around (both ingame and on the forum)
    I wish aryannamage had the same powers in-game as here on the forums. A GM wandering through Archo banning Token scammers with the same gusto that aryannamage locks necros/off-topics/flamewars would be a very wonderful sight to behold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Dunno about the "under 13 year olds" this game is for all ages so it happens i guess, nothing wrong with that.

This begs to differ.
    You may be required to create an account (an "Account") to access our Games and certain features and functions or our Service. You must be 13 years of age or older to create an Account. If you are 13 or over, but are under the age of 18, we require that you review these Terms with your parents or guardian to ensure they read and agree to them. If you are the parent of guardian of a user of our website and you have questions about this website or these terms, please contact us at tos@perfectworldinc.com.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • kahgo
    kahgo Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    This begs to differ.

Notice that it says you have to be 13 years of age or older to CREATE an account. I don't see anything in that clause that prevents anyone beneath the age of 13 from playing an account already created by parent/guardian or anyone else falling beneath said guideline.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    kahgo wrote: »
    Notice that it says you have to be 13 years of age or older to CREATE an account. I don't see anything in that clause that prevents anyone beneath the age of 13 from playing an account already created by parent/guardian or anyone else falling beneath said guideline.

You cannot play other people's account, that is against the TOS.
    Since you have to be 13 or older to create the account and the accounts are non-transferrable, it makes it so you have to be 13 or older to play as well... You may read the forums without loggin in when you are younger than 13 though.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    You cannot play other people's account, that is against the TOS.
    Since you have to be 13 or older to create the account and the accounts are non-transferrable, it makes it so you have to be 13 or older to play as well... You may read the forums without loggin in when you are younger than 13 though.
    This.

and... they really left no gaps in the ToS. I just didnt paste the next section. This is not the complete ToS, feel free to reread it.

Next section:
    By creating an Account or otherwise using the Service, you represent that you are at least age 18 and agree to these Terms, or that you are over 13 years of age and your parents or legal guardian have read and agreed to these Terms, and you understand and agree that we are relying upon that representation in allowing you to use the Service.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Falls - Sanctuary
    Falls - Sanctuary Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Unless you personally mail the GMs, and tell them that you are under 13, and your account should be closed, I don't really see the age thing being an actual issue.

For legal purposes, PWI can claim they have no knowledge of underage children playing, and they wouldn't be lying. We all know the truth though >_>. And if I base it on maturity level and not just my knowledge of people's age, then the average age on PWI is about 8.5 (Give or take a year).
  • Tryndal - Heavens Tear
    Tryndal - Heavens Tear Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Forums, definitely b:chuckle

Ingame, I mostly stick to faction and friends...don't do too much with strangers anymore. But big drama on HT worldchat today was someone scamming a lunar glade weapon off a well known generous player [who offered the trade on the promise that the rest of the money would come later]. So yes, plenty of scumbags out there. Probably has to do with growing playerbase in general though.

Yes I know this person and as he has I have been taken advantage of! Im really tires of the scammers and thieves and the GMs continue to let them play! As far as the 13 year olds playing I know people who have let their 8 year olds play and then complain about abusive language on WC. I have a solution for that! Dont let ur kids play u idiots! I have a 10 and 8 year old that want to play but no way! I'm pondering on quitting because of all the theives.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Arrows fletched with the feathers of angels seldom miss their mark.
  • ilystah
    ilystah Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Yeah, I wonder that too, how did the OP know who is under 13? They can lie, or if the OP attempt to track them down either the person is against the TOS (for leak out real info) or the OP is hacking (which is also against the TOS).
    As for maturity level, people have different opinion on maturity level, and the better name for "maturity level" would be "behave-like-me level".
    This game have the problem with community function so people who behave really bad have no significant disincentive and people who behave really good is hard to distinguish from the rest. Blame this on free-to-play model and poorly designed community system.
    EDIT: btw, who is that "thieve" you speak of? PK-er? Looter who loot long after you left the stuff on the ground? Hacker?
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    They tend to live in packs....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Tryndal - Heavens Tear
    Tryndal - Heavens Tear Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    [/QUOTE]EDIT: btw, who is that "thieve" you speak of? PK-er? Looter who loot long after you left the stuff on the ground? Hacker?[/QUOTE]

None of the above they simply get ur money in the promise of getting something for or getting something from u and promise to pay or pay for wines for BH and clearly state u want 3* and mold drops and they log off after getting the Mold from the random distribution!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Arrows fletched with the feathers of angels seldom miss their mark.
  • FooFooKity - Heavens Tear
    FooFooKity - Heavens Tear Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Even though it states in TOS that u must be of a certain age to register and play I for one dont remember having to show any proof of my legal age when I registered and began playing. All that was required was to answer a few questions provide an active working email acct an bam i was playing. I do agree that something must be done to slow the amount of scamming that occurs in the game but wat it really comes down to is if they wasnt making money at it they wouldnt be doing it...always always double check wat u are buying an make sure its wat u are looking for before clicking buy now.
  • ilystah
    ilystah Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    None of the above they simply get ur money in the promise of getting something for or getting something from u and promise to pay or pay for wines for BH and clearly state u want 3* and mold drops and they log off after getting the Mold from the random distribution!
    Oh that type! I think "conman" is a better word to describe them. They are annoying but I'm not sure if this is bannable or not because I once play a game where the GM said it is allowed (quit it afterward).

The reason why TOS said player must be 13 years old is merely for legal reason, if they do not looked like they attempted to stop player under 13 to play there is a lot of legal complication, including personally trace down the player. That is why all MMORPG will have TOS regarding 13 year old requirement.
    If they REALLY want player to be 13 years old or above, they would have make really stringent registering procedure, although even that is not completely foolproof (just like how teenager can still drink despite law against it).
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    had no idea that the tos said under 13 cannot play.

but on topic yes, i have noticed, but when i first noticed the boom was when the annoincement was posted on the main site that boas were being put in the cs. all the people spamming world chat to sell a boa for 20 mil shortly before the things were actually put in the cs, and now with the cat shop thing. id say about half the people advertising that theyre selling any kind of token are those who're trying to sell lucks for the cost of a best luck. it's really appaling that these people have no shame.

and yea, id love to see a gm walk through west arch and repremand these people somehow.
  • Viper_girl - Heavens Tear
    Viper_girl - Heavens Tear Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I think it is a ridiculous allegation that the scammers are all young kids. I think it is more likely that they are older and likely that they carry their lack of ethics into RL.

Just look around society today and you see many dishonest adults.

As far as the increase in scammers, it does seem to be increasing and much as I dislike it I don't think it will change until players take a minute to double check their purchases.

The fact that someone can so easily be scammed for 4.5 million indicates they have so much money it is chump change for them. Once we get into a situation where the scammers set up shop and get no bites after weeks of sitting there they will give up.
  • dane12
    dane12 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    why do you think they are 13 can u read there age when there scamming pplb:chuckle
    why do you let it bother you there are scammers in all gamesb:laugh
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    It could be attributed to the fact that time and thought are no longer a requirements to do well in the game. A lot of money can now largely subsitute for these things.already)
    Nah just alot of old players making a new char to join in the scamming for some quick coins, allways happens with events.

It's a natural consequence of little or nothing being done about scammers. If you can make a lot of money with little risk of reprisal (GMs have pretty much stated they won't do anything, and anonymity from using a mule on a second account protects them from player backlash), people will jump on the opportunity.

If you've ever seen or been in a riot, you understand that the relatively orderly and peaceful society we live in is an illusion maintained by the expectation that the authorities can keep crime under control. Once that illusion is shattered (whether by amounts of crime too massive for the police to counter, or their outright refusal to do anything about it), there's little the police can do until the people decide to stop rioting.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I've noticed it more than ever this event. The thing is there are no rules against scamming so people have no fear of doing it. The way they see it is if it fails they lose nothing and if they get lucky they make instant easy profit.

Another one I see frequently is fake bids. I saw a w/c a while ago that went like this
    "S> Lobster mount, pm fast! Highest bid so far 12m!"
    followed by
    "Don't mind him, I'm selling 2 lobsters for 7m, pm me =p"
    response being
    "omg you're a f***** ****!!"
    then
    "Next time don't put fake bids, they've been 6m since the event started =P"

or (this one was 15 mins ago)
    "Selling misty mold! pm serious offers! highest bid 2.5m"
    or
    "S> Tauran cape mold, highest bid 6.5m, pm quick before it goes!"

And of course thanks to token trade for chips you can buy these molds for next to nothing atm. Infact arch is pretty much packed with shops selling misty molds and calamaties and w/e cheap.
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    Alexeno - Sanctuary Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    where did i say the scammers are 13y/o? i mentioned two seperate problems i've noticed that have grown exponentially lately

I think it is a ridiculous allegation that the scammers are all young kids. I think it is more likely that they are older and likely that they carry their lack of ethics into RL.

Just look around society today and you see many dishonest adults.

As far as the increase in scammers, it does seem to be increasing and much as I dislike it I don't think it will change until players take a minute to double check their purchases.

The fact that someone can so easily be scammed for 4.5 million indicates they have so much money it is chump change for them. Once we get into a situation where the scammers set up shop and get no bites after weeks of sitting there they will give up.
    dane12 wrote: »
    why do you think they are 13 can u read there age when there scamming pplb:chuckle
    why do you let it bother you there are scammers in all gamesb:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Hell hath no fury like Alexeno trying to prove his point" -Mizuoni
  • dane12
    dane12 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    where did i say the scammers are 13y/o? i mentioned two seperate problems i've noticed that have grown exponentially lately

"i can't turn around without tripping over 2 or 3 scammers, under-13y/o players, etc"
    this is what you said
    edited September 2009
    Options
    the explosive increase in scum players that are playing the game? seems like no matter where i go, i can't turn around without tripping over 2 or 3 scammers, under-13y/o players, etc...

The way I read this Alexeno you are equating under 13yo players with scammers and scum players.

This is not a nice thing to say and our RL world would really be in trouble if this were the case.
  • Xeian - Dreamweaver
    Xeian - Dreamweaver Posts: 720 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    The way I read this Alexeno you are equating under 13yo players with scammers and scum players.

This is not a nice thing to say and our RL world would really be in trouble if this were the case.
    I'm reading it entirely different. Scammers OR 12-yr old players. there's puncuation there for a reason..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xiao_Qian_ - Sanctuary
    Xiao_Qian_ - Sanctuary Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    1 thing we can prey for...
    THEY BECOME BROKE AND EVERYTHING GO BACK TO SQUARDE 1
    And i got tis pair of gilt flaps for 830k not max and use up chi the person never told me until i use it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [Its not Eion anymore its Unknown]
    Done by ForsenX
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I'm reading it entirely different. Scammers OR 12-yr old players. there's puncuation there for a reason..

Ok but it starts out with scum. So scum = scammers or 12 year old players is what he/she is saying. That's still pretty nasty.