Need another pet

Options
Reane - Sanctuary
Reane - Sanctuary Posts: 140 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Venomancer
Ummmmmm yeah... my shaduo is kinda weak and cant keep aggro... its really starting to get annoying, so anyone got a good suggestion? i have my starter scorpion, but its only lvl 37, and i have a crystaline magmite at lvl30ish. my veno is currently at lvl 57. i dont really have much time on my hands, so what would be my best pick to lvl?

edit: taming another pet to lvl is also an option. just no herc/nix since gold has fired through the roof
Reane-archer-82
HeavensRage-blademaster-65
HeavenSorrow-venomancer-74
Abby_G-assassin-57
Post edited by Reane - Sanctuary on

Comments

• tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Shadou Cub comes with these aggro skills:

Flesh Ream Lv.1
    Pierce Lv.1
    Pounce Lv.1

If that's not enough to hold aggro, you're doing something wrong, or you need to downgrade your dps somehow.

A Herc and Nix should also be affordable to you before level 80.

I steal aggro from my Nix. - It doesn't mean I need to replace it.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    What about the skill though wouldn't you have to lvl them up.I guess every 20 or 30 lvls might be worth it.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Foxx - Heavens Tear
    Foxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Get bash on your pet at max level.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Bash is good for holding aggro.
    Levelling up the fleshream would also help you.
    Pounce isn't all that good at holding aggro, but it does a pretty good job of "Oh ****! I stole aggro! Distract him whilst I run away!" (Roar is better for that, of course, though it won't interrupt the first cast)

Anyway, yeah, I don't find my shadou to be a particularly good tank. The magmite, though uglier, worked better for me (and has more room for bash-like skills)

But yes as a first step, level up those skills.
  • Queelen - Lost City
    Queelen - Lost City Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I was very dissapointed in the cub when played with it, so few weeks later I gave it away to a friend of mine. It always lost aggro and killing was painfully slow with it. My favourite tanks are Arpeggio the Golem, and Hannibal the Eldergoth Sharpshooter.

The living rock is the ultimate cookie-cutter with it's incredible combo of phys def, hp, attack and regeneration. Even when facing pure magic mobs, or a harder aoe, I just throw more heal. It makes so high damage, especially when got leveled up Bash that even if I spam heal it and only throw one attack between 4-5 healing, the fight doesn't last for eternity.

The tough gorilla is an absolute all-rounder, doing good against everything and having an excellent attack too, which combined with it's lvl5 Bash skill (comes with him, when tamed) makes sure that I never steal aggro. His ranged luring technique saved many groups from unnecessary pullings and badly timed group of monsters heading their way. It's not a pain to keep it on your level.
    This is the dark present, this is who I am,
    Long forgotten dead, deep in a cold cavern.
    Errant who got swallowed by volatile time,
    Fallen angel on the brink of endless abyss.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Reane - Sanctuary
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Okay thanks peoples, ill get to lvling my magmite and ill replace some skills on my shaduo b:pleased my main complaint with the shaduo was that even after spamming all three aggro skills (ream, stun, and pierce) I might sometimes steal aggro off of my cub. and then pierce and stun had pathetic cooldowns... I guess i will have to replace one of those moves with bash, so which one of those is the most crappy? oh and what skills should i teach to my magmite? and since im lvling my scorpion, what skills do i want there? thanks in advance b:thanks
    Reane-archer-82
    Abby_G-assassin-57
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Probably pierce - sine you can get a better version with ironwood scarab.

And I like pounce.

But then again, pierce has a much faster cooldown already.
  • Queelen - Lost City
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Okay thanks peoples, ill get to lvling my magmite and ill replace some skills on my shaduo b:pleased my main complaint with the shaduo was that even after spamming all three aggro skills (ream, stun, and pierce) I might sometimes steal aggro off of my cub. and then pierce and stun had pathetic cooldowns... I guess i will have to replace one of those moves with bash, so which one of those is the most crappy? oh and what skills should i teach to my magmite? and since im lvling my scorpion, what skills do i want there? thanks in advance b:thanks

Scorpion - Any DPS skill will do, 'caouse the strong point of a Scorpion is their incredible attack speed and damage, even without skills. Try Flesh Realm, Claw and Pounce for example. But any attack skill is good, they inflict 140% of the pet's base dmg even on lvl1. If you have space, maybe a Threaten or Tough to make your pet less squishy, but then again, you can always throw in one more heal to keep it alive. Remember, these insects are for damage dealing only, never send them out as a tank.

Magmite - Tank skills for the win. You already have Bash on it, keep it and try to max it whenever you can and have the money for it. If you have space and money maybe something like Protect to increase the Golem's magic defense, it's worst weak point, I'm not sure Tough gives mag def. I haven't seen signs of it yet.

Other than that? Roar can grab aggro, but that's more useful when tanking big bosses with a group and they usually pick a Herc for that job. I never stole aggro from my golem, due to it's high attack, so don't need an aggro skill for him yet. Pierce is a good skill, makes killing faster by lowering the enemy's phys def and make your rock swat it like a fly. If still have space left, a second damaging skill like Thunderbolt won't hurt.

That's my advice.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Reane - Sanctuary
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Scorpion - Any DPS skill will do, 'caouse the strong point of a Scorpion is their incredible attack speed and damage, even without skills. Try Flesh Realm, Claw and Pounce for example. But any attack skill is good, they inflict 140% of the pet's base dmg even on lvl1. If you have space, maybe a Threaten or Tough to make your pet less squishy, but then again, you can always throw in one more heal to keep it alive. Remember, these insects are for damage dealing only, never send them out as a tank.

Magmite - Tank skills for the win. You already have Bash on it, keep it and try to max it whenever you can and have the money for it. If you have space and money maybe something like Protect to increase the Golem's magic defense, it's worst weak point, I'm not sure Tough gives mag def. I haven't seen signs of it yet.

Other than that? Roar can grab aggro, but that's more useful when tanking big bosses with a group and they usually pick a Herc for that job. I never stole aggro from my golem, due to it's high attack, so don't need an aggro skill for him yet. Pierce is a good skill, makes killing faster by lowering the enemy's phys def and make your rock swat it like a fly. If still have space left, a second damaging skill like Thunderbolt won't hurt.

That's my advice.

Ill try this since it sounds good, thanks for the reply b:thanks
    Reane-archer-82
    Abby_G-assassin-57
  • tweakz
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Scorpion - Any DPS skill will do, 'caouse the strong point of a Scorpion is their incredible attack speed and damage, even without skills.

0.6 atk/s is on the slow end.

Magmites aren't worth investing in. Skills like protect are wasted on them imo because they multiply on an already low number. Tough has a long cooldown making it only ideal for luring or a chance to nuke.
    Pierce is a good skill, makes killing faster by lowering the enemy's phys def and make your rock swat it like a fly. If still have space left, a second damaging skill like Thunderbolt won't hurt.

Pierce when grinding wastes the time of an attack and is thus wasted for grinding. Ironwood Scarab becomes more powerful for Sage path, and Barbs and BMs have better versions as well that would be overwritten by pet's Pierce. Until then you're not likely to notice a difference in hits per kill using Pierce over Ironwood. I have Pierce on my Scorpion, I'm removing it for Howl.
  • Queelen - Lost City
    edited September 2009
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »
    0.6 atk/s is on the slow end.

Magmites aren't worth investing in. Skills like protect are wasted on them imo because they multiply on an already low number. Tough has a long cooldown making it only ideal for luring or a chance to nuke.

Pierce when grinding wastes the time of an attack and is thus wasted for grinding. Ironwood Scarab becomes more powerful for Sage path, and Barbs and BMs have better versions as well that would be overwritten by pet's Pierce. Until then you're not likely to notice a difference in hits per kill using Pierce over Ironwood. I have Pierce on my Scorpion, I'm removing it for Howl.

Sorry, the attack speed is a mistake from me. But it's still the best damaging pet, well... except from Legendary.

Magmites are THE pets worth investing in, if you can't save up for a Herc or Nix. Tough comes handy for me, when sending in the pet to a larger group of monsters, or fighting a strong elit/boss. I never had Protect, but my friend did put it on his Golem and he said, tanking things with high magic attack become more easy so he didn't have to level and invest in a magic tank or heal the living rock more than once per mob.

Maybe, you're wright on Pierce. I love it on my all-rounder Eldergoth, but that's just me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tweakz
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Magmites are THE pets worth investing in, if you can't save up for a Herc or Nix. Tough comes handy for me, when sending in the pet to a larger group of monsters, or fighting a strong elit/boss. I never had Protect, but my friend did put it on his Golem and he said, tanking things with high magic attack become more easy so he didn't have to level and invest in a magic tank or heal the living rock more than once per mob.

Protect on a Golem is CRAZY! I've paid more than half the amount of my Herc for a Protect Scroll. Furthermore, the Golem is totally obsolete when you have a Herc. To give it 4 fully upgraded skills at level 80, you'd be spending ~1/4 what a Herc costs and it couldn't do 1/4 of what a Herc can. The Herc also comes with 4 Rare Fully Leveled Skills that you couldn't buy for anywhere near the price of a Herc. Most TT bosses have high mag to phys atk ratio, and when pets are ambushed by magic mobs: they're hit by magic (when they need the most defense). There are quite a few better choices for "tank" pets. atk and pdef aren't everything.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I would say for general grinding killing x amount of mobs a golem would be better as a Herc would need food.The food for a Herc is not cheap unless you use x-mas blessing.This is espeically the case if the Herc. dies.I would use herc on world bosses and dungeons but keep a golem on standby.

When you run out of meat and need farm for more.My Veno is at lvl 44 and on it own safe doesn't have anywhere near saved up for a Leg. pet.I couldn't even buy 10 sof with what my Veno has.I won't borrow from my Cleric if any my Cleric would borrow from my Veno.

I am not great one at playing the market.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Queelen - Lost City
    edited September 2009
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »
    Protect on a Golem is CRAZY! I've paid more than half the amount of my Herc for a Protect Scroll. Furthermore, the Golem is totally obsolete when you have a Herc. To give it 4 fully upgraded skills at level 80, you'd be spending ~1/4 what a Herc costs and it couldn't do 1/4 of what a Herc can. The Herc also comes with 4 Rare Fully Leveled Skills that you couldn't buy for anywhere near the price of a Herc. Most TT bosses have high mag to phys atk ratio, and when pets are ambushed by magic mobs: they're hit by magic (when they need the most defense). There are quite a few better choices for "tank" pets. atk and pdef aren't everything.

This is my point! With these gold-coin exchange ratios, a lot of ppl will never have a Herc, unless go on insane grinding frenzy at least 3-4 hours a day for more than six months. Yeah, right...

True, that it will never be a Herc, even with the best skills, but there were bosses and instances before PW introduced the Legendary Duo, and many Venos tanked them with the now looked-down Golems. You know the saying: Golem is like the poor man's Herc. Half the value but half the expense. If I can't tank, than the Barb will do it. Just 'caouse I play a Veno I do not despise team work or sharing drops. Less for me, true, but as an Arcane character with a living shield, I have close to no cost if not my pet tanks. So I can only win.

I do not state, that this cookie cutter rock can ever do as good as the fat kid with the higher level instance's/dungeon's bosses. But if you can't afford the Herc, than why not try to make the best out of what you have?

PS: I'm always checking AH for pet skills. Guess what? Seen the Protect scroll multiple times (usually more after the temple event) around 1 mill. Even winned one with 880k bidding price. Let's see... Herc cost like 30-40 mill? Edit: This may sound strange, but -at least on my server- pet skill scroll prices are kind of dropped, so I really did see these prices. Heck, I bought Thunderstorm, Sandblow for 50k each!

I can make one mill in a let's say, reasonable time, like two weeks. (I only play at weekends, sorry.) But 30 mill?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]