Axe BM vs Sword BM

Qwentomec - Heavens Tear
Qwentomec - Heavens Tear Posts: 270 Arc User
edited September 2009 in General Discussion
(Yes I know this should be in the BM section but im thinking more people will see it here >.>)

Ok I'm a lvl 79 sword BM currently, with a TT70 weapon Ghoulish Sword, and I'm currently gathering mats for the TT80 duel swords Shinrotwins. The TT 90 sword I have planned is Firelotus.

Now my friend used to be an a sword BM too, but at around lvl 80 he switched to axes and is loving it. So I'm wondering whether I should stick to my guns and stay blade with the faster attack rate, or go to harder hitting but slower axes. Now I do want to TW, so I'm thinking axes would also be better for this.

At the moment I do use some lower lvl axes with mid lvl aoe skills, so there is the option of staying with swords and using inferior axes, but I'm still not sure.

Can anyone offer advice? b:surrender
you thilly gooses... feather set is thuper fabulous! -Bowlinbob

Chars:
Qwentomec 94 BM / _Zappy_ 99 Wizzy / xLysander 6x Cleric / MoneyBagz 5x Veno / BaNaNa 3x Barb / _Flappy_ 2x Archer / xKnifey 2x Sin / Spoo_Ney 3x Psy

(cookie for anyone who gets the simpsons reference in those last 2 names)
Post edited by Qwentomec - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Alyyy - Sanctuary
    Alyyy - Sanctuary Posts: 3,165 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    idk much but i think that

pole & axe=most aoe?
    sword=less aoe?
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheGoliath - Heavens Tear
    TheGoliath - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    axes, always

sword can be good in 1v1 but axes are the obligate choice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    axes, always

sword can be good in 1v1 but axes are the obligate choice

This

Axes are "cookie build" but there's a reason why they are.
  • flameenix
    flameenix Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Get Giant Ape's Axes.. I've got both tt80 axes and the tt80 swords (Shinrotwins), almost never use the swords tho..b:cry
  • Belligero - Sanctuary
    Belligero - Sanctuary Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Well... for one thing, the Sword Mats are a lot cheaper.
    Belligero
  • Svenchan - Harshlands
    Svenchan - Harshlands Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Yeah if you want to be good at TW axes seem to be the wep of choice.

Im going swords just cause i like them better, and im going for more of a hit and run tactic kinda Char. Axes though can sit there and stunlock/aoe all day long. (or until there mp runs outb:victory)

Sp pretty much go axes and pwn at TW or stick with swords and pwn 1v1
  • Bladecutter - Sanctuary
    Bladecutter - Sanctuary Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    emm, id like a PD saying plz barbs refrain from answering (own reasons) k, back on topic

id say be hybrid, swords are good (im sword bm) but axes are neccesary sometimes, my TT80 shirotwins are amazing, i +3ed them and i use them all the time. sword build is amazing to beat archers (amazing when they actually miss), and to laugh at those pure axes that cant kill you cus they miss a LOT b:laugh

axes are good for pve purposes *coughs* gamma *coughs* apart of that i only use HF on my axes

(currently using TT70 axes and shinrotwins)

EDIT: divine, with 200k gold you get profit if you sell those shiny boxes, though, ive been out so idk anymore lol, btw, im sure about axes skills thats how i started (all my axes skills were paid for rebirth) though, if price of gold is 200k+ i think we should say bye bye to that
  • Divine_Death - Dreamweaver
    Divine_Death - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,491 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    You should stick with the weapons you like, but also get the axes skills because they could be useful. Axes BM is not *required* for Rebirth, but it's certainly preferred. Rebirth might not pay for itself (and more) now since the high cost of charm and low price of gems, but it's still the fastest way to lvl from 7X to 85. Before the event, RB use to make you enough money and SP for you to start a second weapon path. Even if you had to invent some money at first for a set of axes and axes skills, you'll make the money back. But with the current gold price and low price on gems, I just don't know anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Closing this for excess letter Q's" - hawk
  • Themax - Heavens Tear
    Themax - Heavens Tear Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    OP whisper me in the game , I have Axes , I'll gladly duel you b:laugh
    Inactive on HT

Rerolled on HL
  • TheTruper - Lost City
    TheTruper - Lost City Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I'd also like to add that since there are fewer sword bm's, gear is also cheaper. I bought my HH60 Petrified Femur for 100k. Another thing is that "hit and run" tactic taht Svenchan mentioned. We have "spirit chaser", which is a lot stronger than drake's ray. And while you're stunned, why, just spam Leap, and you'll be able to break stun lock the second the first one wears off. And while you are a few meters away, you can do a spirit chaser+drakes ray combo.
    In pve, its even better, because you have a knockback :D
    If you start from afar, hit spirit chaser, then drakes ray, then aoelian blade, then atmos strike....they'll be knocked back, and by that time, spirit chaser has cooled down :D
  • lmaonade1xp
    lmaonade1xp Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    axe propaganda ftl...

it really boils down to your playing style, not other people saying "axes will pwn"
    i agree that axe users have a better time grinding because of their aoe chain, but i disagree that you have to be an axe BM to be good at TW.
  • Accelerated - Sanctuary
    Accelerated - Sanctuary Posts: 1,048 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I'd also like to add that since there are fewer sword bm's, gear is also cheaper. I bought my HH60 Petrified Femur for 100k. Another thing is that "hit and run" tactic taht Svenchan mentioned. We have "spirit chaser", which is a lot stronger than drake's ray. And while you're stunned, why, just spam Leap, and you'll be able to break stun lock the second the first one wears off. And while you are a few meters away, you can do a spirit chaser+drakes ray combo.
    In pve, its even better, because you have a knockback :D
    If you start from afar, hit spirit chaser, then drakes ray, then aoelian blade, then atmos strike....they'll be knocked back, and by that time, spirit chaser has cooled down :D

So does spear? If he's looking for a knockback range style, I think spear/sword paths would be better
    Anyways, **** both paths, go fists b:victory.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ♥ - 藤林 杏-様 - ♥
    ♥ Kyou Fujibayashi-sama ♥
  • Svenchan - Harshlands
    Svenchan - Harshlands Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    axe propaganda ftl...

it really boils down to your playing style, not other people saying "axes will pwn"
    i agree that axe users have a better time grinding because of their aoe chain, but i disagree that you have to be an axe BM to be good at TW.

Hmm knock against me I think?

Anyway that out of my system, yeah I do have to say I love my swords. But i know when swords are beat, and thats deffintly in TW there beat by axes. There beat for many reason, but any guide can tell you that.

Although that tactic that truper said is amazing...1v1. If you get swarmed with swords you have to hope you can aoe kill the mobs quick or run away. If you get swarmed by players your kinda stuck, and just hope to kill 1 really quick, and hope you can 1v1 before they kill you

Hybrid is a good way to go to, but mainly at the later lvls when you can sapre it, which your pretty close to. probly be the best for you so your old skills are still used.

Edit: i did forget one thing Sword bms are good at in TW. Going kamikaze and softening up squishes for the rest of a group to finish off the rest.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I would say if you are going to be doing any type of pvp be that Pking or TW use sword.Axes would be great for pve as for the aoe.I would set it up so you can use both and switch.

This what I want to do anyway mostly axe for the great aoe damage.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Nassinew - Sanctuary
    Nassinew - Sanctuary Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    well its totally ur choice, i didnt even touch my axe skill tree or own a weapon that could use them till 85 when i tried gamma, and once i hit 86 i didnt touch my axe skills again till i was 91 and got GX's. but that was purely coz i loved how my dual swords looked (tt90 dual swords = sexyyy) so after using swords for 90% of my playing time then switching to axes... i'd say go axes, but have the dex and ur swords so u can switch and change when u want. but you'll probably stick with axes once u use them more often ( PvE and PVP)
  • Qwentomec - Heavens Tear
    Qwentomec - Heavens Tear Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Ok thanks for all the advice peeps, think I'll stick with my hybrid build for now and spam dex ^^
    you thilly gooses... feather set is thuper fabulous! -Bowlinbob

Chars:
    Qwentomec 94 BM / _Zappy_ 99 Wizzy / xLysander 6x Cleric / MoneyBagz 5x Veno / BaNaNa 3x Barb / _Flappy_ 2x Archer / xKnifey 2x Sin / Spoo_Ney 3x Psy

(cookie for anyone who gets the simpsons reference in those last 2 names)