Free Zen Offers=Trojan Virus....

Mrsurine - Sanctuary
Mrsurine - Sanctuary Posts: 82 Arc User
edited September 2009 in General Discussion
For those of you that haven't noticed. I read the new announcement about how they check all the offers and took out the ones we wouldn't want (I was assuming they took out all the ones with viruses and weren't working). So I clicked on the top one. It was free. I click the link and read what I had to do. I had to download somthing that gave me free emoticons and things. I had a bad experience downloading emoticons so I left the site. A few seconds after I left the site, Windows announced I had a Trojan virus. I don't know about you. But I don't think 5gold is worth a virus on my computer.

Thought everybody should know.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"I'M DARTH VADAR!"
"Who gives a sith?"
b:chuckleHAHAHAHHA. I'm not funny. b:cry
Post edited by Mrsurine - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Ztinzib - Sanctuary
    Ztinzib - Sanctuary Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    There's no such thing as free zen, but u did get a reward-free virus b:surrender

Haven't ppl already learned their lesson when it comes to surveys and such with millions of links and a promise of free stuff b:shutup
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    A few seconds after I left the site, Windows announced I had a Trojan virus. I don't know about you. But I don't think 5gold is worth a virus on my computer.
    I suspect it was a "legit" spyware program, in the sense that if you read the small print it comes right out and says it's going to take over your computer, spy on you, and report everything you do back to some sinister overlords.

Which Windows Defender, in turn, sees as a legitimate threat. The moral of the story is that Microsoft probably just protected you from yourself. Please send Bill Gates a thank-you note. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Has anyone else noticed it used to say "Earn Free Zen" on the home page and now it just says "Earn Zen"?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Has anyone else noticed it used to say "Earn Free Zen" on the home page and now it just says "Earn Zen"?
    Ah, you're right! I hadn't noticed. But I suppose to be fair it's actually more accurate, since only a minority of offers were "Free" offers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Ztinzib - Sanctuary
    Ztinzib - Sanctuary Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Nothing is free nowadays... b:sad just false promises b:surrender
  • Poison - Heavens Tear
    Poison - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,444 Arc User
    edited September 2009

Yes, I'm glad PWI marketing decided to have a little heart and change that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • orinj
    orinj Posts: 460 admin
    edited September 2009
    For those of you that haven't noticed. I read the new announcement about how they check all the offers and took out the ones we wouldn't want (I was assuming they took out all the ones with viruses and weren't working). So I clicked on the top one. It was free. I click the link and read what I had to do. I had to download somthing that gave me free emoticons and things. I had a bad experience downloading emoticons so I left the site. A few seconds after I left the site, Windows announced I had a Trojan virus. I don't know about you. But I don't think 5gold is worth a virus on my computer.

Thought everybody should know.

as far as i know, the ones that required any kind of download were taken out during the first pass.

would you kindly direct me to the offer you are referring to so we can investigate it?

thanks,

oj
    F.E.A.R. has two meanings: Forget Everything And Run - OR - Face Everything And Rise. The choice is yours, my friend.
  • Ragenar - Dreamweaver
    Ragenar - Dreamweaver Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Ancient Chinese wisdom says:

Free cheese can be found only in mousetraps
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I may be paranoid but i wouldn't try typing any passwords/credit card info until you've given your system a thorough check.
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    i'm actually appalled that pw would even host an "offer" like this. it's something that any internet make money at home or pyramid scheme would do.

click this link and give them all of your real information so you can get signed up for something that charges you monthly for some "service" and sells your personal info to various other companies so you get spam mail to the point that you cant even find your real mail. oh and the hidden charges for subscription fees to these "free trial" things that never shut themselves off after the trial period, they just take it upon themselves to start charging you every month, and when you try to cancel.. lol its like pulling teeth.

VEYR very unprofessional of you perfect world.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I signed up for a 7 day trial for music downloads. I looked through the site and didn't see any music that interested me. I had no problem canceling my account there. Though they DID charge me 1 dollar. How is that free?

Yeah its just 1 single dollar but that does not make it a free trial now does it?
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    i'm actually appalled that pw would even host an "offer" like this. it's something that any internet make money at home or pyramid scheme would do.

click this link and give them all of your real information so you can get signed up for something that charges you monthly for some "service" and sells your personal info to various other companies so you get spam mail to the point that you cant even find your real mail. oh and the hidden charges for subscription fees to these "free trial" things that never shut themselves off after the trial period, they just take it upon themselves to start charging you every month, and when you try to cancel.. lol its like pulling teeth.

VEYR very unprofessional of you perfect world.
    our employees have tested all of the offers both for the level of spam and ease of cancellation. We're not suggesting that you give your main e-mail account, and if you don't like it remember that it's completely optional so you can just never go to the offer page.
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    our employees have tested all of the offers both for the level of spam and ease of cancellation. We're not suggesting that you give your main e-mail account, and if you don't like it remember that it's completely optional so you can just never go to the offer page.

trust me, i wont.

and cranky much spoons? i know it must be hard having to defend the company with all the players being so majorly pissed off.
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    trust me, i wont.

and cranky much spoons? i know it must be hard having to defend the company with all the players being so majorly pissed off.

No I'm really not lol, just trying to make sure the question as answered. We really did go through all of them by hand, ask orinj b:chuckle
  • Rurik_Niall - Dreamweaver
    Rurik_Niall - Dreamweaver Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    oh and the hidden charges for subscription fees to these "free trial" things that never shut themselves off after the trial period, they just take it upon themselves to start charging you every month, and when you try to cancel.. lol its like pulling teeth.

First, there's nothing hidden about them, they say right there when you sign up that unless you choose to cancel within the time frame of the trial they'll automatically bill you, don't blame anyone else if you can't be bothered to read all the terms and conditions before you sign a contract. Second, I've never had issues with canceling, I call them, or go to the cancellation site, or whatever, tell them I want it canceled, and it's done.
  • Mrsurine - Sanctuary
    Mrsurine - Sanctuary Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    orinj wrote: »
    as far as i know, the ones that required any kind of download were taken out during the first pass.

would you kindly direct me to the offer you are referring to so we can investigate it?

thanks,

oj

It was the video professor.
    http://www.perfectworld.com/offers
    The very first one you look at. I don't want to go to the site again lol :P even though windows would tell me anyway lol.

I think you guys should check if you got any viruses. o.o

Just in case.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I'M DARTH VADAR!"
    "Who gives a sith?"
    b:chuckleHAHAHAHHA. I'm not funny. b:cry
  • Opaline - Dreamweaver
    Opaline - Dreamweaver Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    This whole free zen thing seemed dodgy to me all around.
    Anytime you see "free" on the internet, a huge red flag should go up.
  • Cenminator - Dreamweaver
    Cenminator - Dreamweaver Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    No I'm really not lol, just trying to make sure the question as answered. We really did go through all of them by hand, ask orinj b:chuckle

spoons did you try sporks yet?
  • Juggernaut - Harshlands
    Juggernaut - Harshlands Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I tried one of the free zhen offers, it ran me around in circles for about 30 minutes asking me about all these products and offers. I got really sick of it, so I just quit out of everything.

The next day, I log on and found out that I had one free gold sitting in my wallet.

b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]