Tips for a new cleric ^^

nunca15
nunca15 Posts: 1 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Cleric
So I'm more or less a new cleric and I'd like to have some advice from you for dungeons (specially FBs & BHs atm). The thing that bugs me the most is that: if tank is engaged in combat with 3 or more mobs, should I heal him or let him tank them withouth heals so I don't draw aggro of the ones he's not attacking into me? That and if I get attacked should I run away like mad or wait at the place for tank 2 get the aggro again? Any other usefull tips?
Ty for help!
Nunca
Post edited by nunca15 on

Comments

• LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    1.) heal when the barb has attacked each mob at least once. Meaning either a manual flesh ream on each or hit em with an AOE.

2.) When you grab aggro, and the mob is stronger than you can handle, run TOWARDS the barb, not away. The only exception to this is when the mobs near/attacking the barb has a strong AOE that will kill you if you get close. Or.. you can always pop plume shell and heal yourself/barb untill the mob is dead.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Read the sticky at the top first and don't worry about dungeons yet untill you get to 60.Your Fb will more or less be done for you being the tabber.

You want to keep the tank healed up or you can alway revive him later on.It is situational.

^You mean wellspring surge.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    Alyyy - Sanctuary Posts: 3,165 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    um....Mysti if ur tank dies ur screwed -_- big time

1.) newer EWER party with archers
    2.) tell wizards to be carefull
    3.) tank comes be4 DDers
    4.) cary a few pots with u....
    5.) plum shel costs mp but saves ur tushie many times....
    4.)u tank magic dmg.....
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nunca15
    nunca15 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Thank you all!b:kiss
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    Archers can use stun on the boss or w.h.y. or knock it back.
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    1.) heal when the barb has attacked each mob at least once. Meaning either a manual flesh ream on each or hit em with an AOE.

2.) When you grab aggro, and the mob is stronger than you can handle, run TOWARDS the barb, not away. The only exception to this is when the mobs near/attacking the barb has a strong AOE that will kill you if you get close. Or.. you can always pop plume shell and heal yourself/barb untill the mob is dead.

This is good advice. Any tank worth his salt will make sure he holds aggro. Any tank that runs into a large group and doesn't make sure to take aggro on all - that's when you slowly start backing away and suggest the rest of your party does too.

That said - you are gonna grab aggro eventually, no matter who is to blame. If you do grab aggro, make it as easy as possible for the tank to take aggro back. Stay close to him/her and stay alive. Personally I pop a plume shell if it's a physical mob and spam IH on myself until a tank grabs it, or I get bored and just kill it myself.

If you can avoid a party wipe by letting a careless tank die - do it without hesitation. A valiant attempt to save the life of a careless tank is nice - but remember it isn't only you and the barb - as soon as you two go down, the rest of the party is soon to follow. If you meet a tank that insists you sacrifice yourself in such a way - make sure he buys you res scrolls and GAs.
    don't worry about dungeons yet untill you get to 60.Your Fb will more or less be done for you being the tabber.

Sorry - but that's very, very bad advice. You want to start running in dungeon parties as soon as you can - otherwise you will reach the middle level range (6x or so) with no or limited experience in clericing a party. I strongly suggest offering your services often for FBs around your level or lower. Not only is it great learning for you as a cleric, it's also one of the easiest ways to gather rep at the earlier levels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited September 2009
    Sorry - but that's very, very bad advice. You want to start running in dungeon parties as soon as you can - otherwise you will reach the middle level range (6x or so) with no or limited experience in clericing a party. I strongly suggest offering your services often for FBs around your level or lower. Not only is it great learning for you as a cleric, it's also one of the easiest ways to gather rep at the earlier levels.

I said this because most just keep moving foward unless they want to go back for the XP.I guess I have done enough healing of over 4 years as playing Monk to know when to heal others.I would recomending it if the OP doesn't have any past exprience playing a healing class.I have gone back and did a few fb19 and 29s when my faction calls.
  • iceknave
    iceknave Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Be prepared to be sucking a LOT of mana potions until level 30 when you can finally make a powder to boost your mp regen.

The powder helps, but even then you'll need to sit for a few seconds at times for it to catch up as you burn through mp extremely fast.

In a party, unless there is a cleric higher level than you, you should buff everybody. If there is a cleric higher level than you, let them buff as their buffs will be higher leveled than yours.
    Induction ID (Doomsbog): 3080068X031808024008351Z3f4d22
    edited September 2009
    I said this because most just keep moving foward unless they want to go back for the XP.

Move forward? Doing a dungeon a day or so is the best way for a young cleric to gain easy exp . . . Not to mention that simple grinding teaches you almost nothing about being a cleric, while dungeons give you the opportunity to work on healing a party and dealing damage at the same time.
    I guess I have done enough healing of over 4 years as playing Monk to know when to heal others.

Even if a cleric was equal to any generic healing class in other MMOs, you are still suggesting the OP bypass gaining class experience. Playing a healing class in other games doesn't transfer to experience as a cleric. He's a new cleric. . . and your suggestion is that he bypass the best way for him to gain experience in his class.
    I would recomending it if the OP doesn't have any past exprience playing a healing class.

If you play a cleric as a healing class, you are only playing half the cleric. Without experience in dungeons, a cleric will not know how to balance healing and attacking in said circumstances. If you aren't able to do both, you aren't doing your job.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited September 2009
    Move forward? Doing a dungeon a day or so is the best way for a young cleric to gain easy exp . . . Not to mention that simple grinding teaches you almost nothing about being a cleric, while dungeons give you the opportunity to work on healing a party and dealing damage at the same time.

Yes most want to move forward and get to the good areas to get the good stuff.The simple grinding does make you money though.

Even if a cleric was equal to any generic healing class in other MMOs, you are still suggesting the OP bypass gaining class experience. Playing a healing class in other games doesn't transfer to experience as a cleric. He's a new cleric. . . and your suggestion is that he bypass the best way for him to gain experience in his class.
    You wouldn't even know how over powered the Cleric is compared to the Monk I play and I have bigger parties to keep alive.No I am not suggesting the OP bypass squading as you can do that in any area of the open world.It usually comes around lvl 20 out by Broken Bluff.That is where I started mine and he will get his especailly on the bosses out over there.

If you play a cleric as a healing class, you are only playing half the cleric. Without experience in dungeons, a cleric will not know how to balance healing and attacking in said circumstances. If you aren't able to do both, you aren't doing your job.
    I am not playing half the class as I know how to heal.You would be surprised on how much I see other Clerics wasting mana.I played lots of dungeons as Monk and in missions you can't even compare to in this game.I know how to balance healing and attacking quite fine.I am doing my jop.

My skills get balanced evey month as Monk so some maybe weaker than others.It is called skill balancing which you would be surprised on how powerfull these skills are for all classes.
    edited September 2009
    Yes most want to move forward and get to the good areas to get the good stuff.

Again, you are suggesting bypassing learning how to play the character in order to focus on leveling faster?
    The simple grinding does make you money though.

Of course it does - I'd never suggest bypassing grinding either. I'm suggesting it's important for new clerics to learn to do both.

You wouldn't even know how over powered the Cleric is compared to the Monk I play and I have bigger parties to keep alive.

I wouldn't know, and I wouldn't care either. That has nothing to do with this conversation.
    No I am not suggesting the OP bypass squading as you can do that in any area of the open world.It usually comes around lvl 20 out by Broken Bluff.That is where I started mine and he will get his especailly on the bosses out over there.

If you prefer partying outside of dungeons, that's your right. I happen to strongly disagree. By squading in dungeons, not only do you gain valuable experience as a cleric, you also gain large chunks of exp points, and valuable rep. By squading in normal quest parties, you gain . . . not much. I think you are allowing your experience in other games blind you to the fact that many new clerics don't have that experience already.

I am not playing half the class as I know how to heal.You would be surprised on how much I see other Clerics wasting mana.I played lots of dungeons as Monk and in missions you can't even compare to in this game.I know how to balance healing and attacking quite fine.I am doing my jop.

Completely unrelated to the conversation. My use of the word 'you' referred to clerics in general, not you personally.
    My skills get balanced evey month as Monk so some maybe weaker than others.It is called skill balancing which you would be surprised on how powerfull these skills are for all classes.

Yet again, this statement has nothing to do with the conversation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited September 2009
    Again, you are suggesting bypassing learning how to play the character in order to focus on leveling faster?
    That is up to the OP can't he make up his own mind.

Of course it does - I'd never suggest bypassing grinding either. I'm suggesting it's important for new clerics to learn to do both.
    Again that is the OPs perogotive if they want.

I wouldn't know, and I wouldn't care either. That has nothing to do with this conversation.
    Yes it does as It shows how much exprience I have playing in groups even bad ones.

If you prefer partying outside of dungeons, that's your right. I happen to strongly disagree. By squading in dungeons, not only do you gain valuable experience as a cleric, you also gain large chunks of exp points, and valuable rep. By squading in normal quest parties, you gain . . . not much. I think you are allowing your experience in other games blind you to the fact that many new clerics don't have that experience already.
    That is fine as dungeons are very confined and moving around can be tricky.I haven't really gotten that much XP from doing FBs.I get more from doing CS.BH and FQ although the rep is nice.I personally prefer the open world though as you can move around more and doing world bosses.

Completely unrelated to the conversation. My use of the word 'you' referred to clerics in general, not you personally.
    Yes it is as i had to tell some cleric what skills to use and ones not to use.

Yet again, this statement has nothing to do with the conversation.
    In a way it does it shows how powerfull these skills are.We can have this discussion untill what ever but it is the OP decision on what he/she wants to do.They don't have to listen to me.
  • Slake - Lost City
    Slake - Lost City Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    mysti are u giving advice based on ur little experience of this game and experience of playing a healer in other games? Bad mysti......

I personally think for clerics that the most important thing, is PARTY AWARENESS. (more than high lvled skills, l33t gear, awesome dps or watever) That is, being aware of what is going on with each of those 5 (maximum) other people, what they are doing and how this effects the rest of the group. I have seen plenty of clerics with epic gear +80 that just don't understand that and as a result aren't very good. Probably even more so now due to oracles power lvling ppl.

AND the only way to get this experience, is to DO it. My advice for the OP is, sure do some grinding, but also get into a guild that includes u for fb runs and other such instances so that u get the experience u need..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GotTold.com

Sup?
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited September 2009
    mysti are u giving advice based on ur little experience of this game and experience of playing a healer in other games? Bad mysti......

slake little exprience it doesn't take me that long to know to heal.I been playing one since Feb 20,2005 mostly in competive pvp.
  • Miasora - Lost City
    Miasora - Lost City Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    i'm very agree with Slake and FatherTed... we are on pwi here ~

Experience and Skill is MORE than your Level !!!

as a marshal in guild, i do fb, bh also hh like 6 times or more daily... i also like to help my friends fb (since they offered me very often, yay cleric ftw :) or bosses.

so, fighting on dungeons with squad is the only best way to learn and advance your skills... to be aware and keep the life of your squad, to buff them, to de-buff enemy also support tank's attack and the most important is to use the best skill for the best time/ mob... (to use BB/ RB... also to use IhB/SoR/CHB on the RIGHT timing)

that's it... so back to the main topic:
    nunca15 wrote: »
    So I'm more or less a new cleric and I'd like to have some advice from you for dungeons (specially FBs & BHs atm). The thing that bugs me the most is that: if tank is engaged in combat with 3 or more mobs, should I heal him or let him tank them withouth heals so I don't draw aggro of the ones he's not attacking into me? That and if I get attacked should I run away like mad or wait at the place for tank 2 get the aggro again? Any other usefull tips?
    Ty for help!
    Nunca

1) cast Ironheart Blessing on Tank once or twice, BEFORE he even attack/ start the battle... Ironheart heals over time, so when the battle starts and your tank takes damage, he's already healed.

2) maybe it's very fast and hard to notice... when the tank nearing the mobs, but havent attack... NEVER heal him!
    This is why the most tanks are barb, they have lots of HP and should able to take damages.
    so, ONLY after he takes aggro (attack)... heal him FAST, preferably with Stream of Rejuvination (if his HP almost 50% left), then you can heal him normally with Ironheart for the rest of the battle.

3) and if you took aggro in the end, NEVER runaway... it's just useless!
    it's best, either you go to tank or stay in squad range, to let your squad takes the aggro from you... or heal yourself (or cast plume shell against phys mobs).

we're aint archer or wizzard, we cleric runs slow and doesnt have distant shrink... so, to run away is a suicide.
    and mobs inside fb will never let you go, unless you leave the dungeon!

EXCEPT, if you think you can handle that mob... if they're not more than 3+... you can KITE them. so cast great cyclone on them to slower their movement and attack/ kill it yourself... it helps, you and your squad (this is my favourite btw ^.^)

that is all <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Glad days, sad days... are all brighter made with the...
    "Happy Knowledge", that our...
    Friendship will not fade.

me: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=3656331#post3656331 ^.^
    my family: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=4077892#post4077892 <3
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited September 2009
    I don't care whether you agree or not the game I am talking about take much much more skill to play in beyta I almost won the Halls of Heros untill the server shut down PWI is walk in the park just keep casting Ironheart and if **** happens hit Regen Stream or BB.Then there is chromatic healing beam all you need to do is spam that.
  • IAttack - Heavens Tear
    IAttack - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    this one time, at band camp, i played this video game. only it wasnt pwi. it was harder.

though i do agree clericing is very easy.
    the 5 steps to clericing:
    1. see if someone is taking damage
    2. make sure they have aggro
    3. heal them
    4. attack/debuff/make a sandwich/take a nap
    5. repeat