Water Quality Question

Ixie - Dreamweaver
Ixie - Dreamweaver Posts: 13 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Support Desk
I am wondering how to get my graphics to be better. What I mean is, I see water like this:
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt35/Eirise/20091.jpg
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt35/Eirise/20092.jpg
I have seen many screenshots and videos of water that is of higher quality (there are reflections, the water is smoother, like this: http://images.mmosite.com/photo/2008/01/07/pws4_a6668utn2Q2.jpg) and I was wondering if it is possible to get my game to look like this? Is this only available on the my-en version of PW?

Also, in the second screenshot, you can see that the water slider is darker (and unmovable). Same with the boxes next to sun/moon, shadows, etc. Why am I unable to edit any of these settings?

If anyone could help that would be great :)
Post edited by Ixie - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I dont know why your "water" options as shaded. Any chance of a graphics card too bad to handle it?
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Ixie - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    I really have no idea :x I'm not very computer savy... ><
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    stole this from darthpanda.

I'm going to need some more information from you about your computer. Go to Start, click on Run (or Search if using Vista), and type in dxdiag and press enter.
    dxdiag.jpg
    Click on the Display tab, and then post here everything in the Device and Drivers boxes:
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Ixie - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Okay, one sec. (thanks for helping, by the way!)
  • Ixie - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    ....Hello?
  • Drazo - Dreamweaver
    Drazo - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,187 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Your graphics card doesn't support the lastest water shaders. It could be compatibility issues though. You should try updating your drivers and DirectX, but with that device you most likely will not be able to enable all the eye-candy effects.
    Non-mule characters:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]....and Drazomyst.
  • Ixie - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    D: Oh well. Thank you.
  • Drazo - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    I'm not sure why your AGP texture acceleration is not available though. It may be your drivers or even BIOS settings, which you'll need someone more computer-savvy and at your computer IRL to help you there.
    Non-mule characters:

• darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    A GeForce 4 is actually worse then a GeForce 3. The 4 is basically a Geforce 2 on performance.

We try to suggest a GeForce 5 and higher but, depending on the age, it could start overheating or malfunctioning.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • XxCrimsonxX - Dreamweaver
    XxCrimsonxX - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    but on this topic...I have a question.

why is it that the performance of the game is so different with water set on High and on medium?

even on my high end desktop PC, when I have the water set to Medium I get like a 10 fps increase. I would think maybe it would only be 3-4..but 10? thats a huge jump imo..
  • Drazo - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    but on this topic...I have a question.

why is it that the performance of the game is so different with water set on High and on medium?

even on my high end desktop PC, when I have the water set to Medium I get like a 10 fps increase. I would think maybe it would only be 3-4..but 10? thats a huge jump imo..

For medium aged and especially old graphic cards, such shaders take a greater percentage of work.
    Non-mule characters:

• XxCrimsonxX - Dreamweaver
    XxCrimsonxX - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    lol I have an ati 4870 xD
    its not old by any means
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    That video card is SO last year b:chuckle

Seriously though, it depends on the drivers and how they handle things.

Do you have the correct drivers installed for your OS?

Are there special drivers from the card's manufacturer?

Is your power supply of enough wattage to cover running the card and the rest of the components in the PC?

Have you changed any BIOS settings to enable your card to work properly?

Is it overheating?
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
This discussion has been closed.