Issues on language/name filters

Options

Comments

• Kannone - Heavens Tear
    Kannone - Heavens Tear Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    jaydewind wrote: »
    I don't think it is necessarily about the prudes of the world "getting over it". I think it comes down to having respect for your fellow human being.

Quoted for the truth. End of discussion?

b:bye
  • ilystah
    ilystah Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I think it is very justified to have a word filter to cut offensive word. However, the problems with word filter is the technical limitation, not the ethical limitation. The machine simply need too many variable before it can determine whether something is offensive or not. Given the current state of technology, it is likely to miss out offensive word while oversensitive to innocent word. So given between a choice of miss out offensive word and overcensor innocent word, free speech ideology call for the later choice, especially when you consider the player is at least 13 years old and would likely to have quite some exposure with offensive word.
    I have played game before where communication is restricted to a choice from menu. Sure offfensive word completely voided but the restriction on communication is so bad that it fragment the community and so on suitable for children who can fire-and-forget.
  • Enina - Heavens Tear
    Enina - Heavens Tear Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Oh, I know! Let us get one of those fancy lists of "accepted" words, so we have to communicate by clicking through a massive list of accepted words and phrases! That way, we can completely eliminate the need for anyone to actually type, which also removes problems with language barriers (everyone HAVE to speak english), and any kind of innuendo that can be told! Because if there's innuendo that offends someone, like a veno claiming "I love hotdogs!", it can just be removed and we can all communicate with beeps instead!

Also, for those with a lacking ability to detect sarcasm, the above paragraph is sarcastic.
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    there is one topic that has *no* place here, and that is anything sexual. so words directly relating to it can be blocked.

and one that is especially offensive to myself, and i am sure, many other women, is the casual throwing around of the word '****'. there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for that to be used in this game. it is a violent, horrible crime, and nothing to be laughed off, or at. but stupid, immature players fling the word around constantly and i cringe whenever i see it. no, thank God there is no **** in this game. so please STOP saying there is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • TheGoliath - Heavens Tear
    TheGoliath - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    does anyone known if "spunta" is an offensive word, cuz the game censore it if u try to type it... but it's an italian word and it's not offensive

I'm confused
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Untamedchaos - Sanctuary
    Untamedchaos - Sanctuary Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    does anyone known if "spunta" is an offensive word, cuz the game censore it if u try to type it... but it's an italian word and it's not offensive

I'm confused

it only censors "punta" which is strange because that's not a swear as far as im concerned, take out the "n" and it is however
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] With a .25x multiplier = 423520 regular

Booyah.
    edited August 2009
    Options
    it only censors "punta" which is strange because that's not a swear as far as im concerned, take out the "n" and it is however

x_X bad filters
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Myralis - Sanctuary
    Myralis - Sanctuary Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Goliath probably its not a swear for you but someone uses it as one lol

I had the same when I wanted to explain to my friend what 'herbs' are. It just censored the German word for it '****'. So what the heck is offensive with the simple word for some greens out in the wild?
    I found out some people use it as a negative word for Germans.
    But I still wonder why its censored cause I dont feel the slighest bit insulted if someone calls me herb rofl
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [ -- Wolves - Alpha | Hurt me, I'll bite back. Hurt my pack, I'll snap your neck. -- ]
    edited August 2009
    Options

I had the same when I wanted to explain to my friend what 'herbs' are. It just censored the German word for it '****'. So what the heck is offensive with the simple word for some greens out in the wild?
    But I still wonder why its censored cause I dont feel the slighest bit insulted if someone calls me herb rofl
    seriously ?

so there are a lot of wierd offensive words that get the censorship while others that are better known don't get it ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Myralis - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Seems like it..

Maybe the people that use it as an insult are as creative as the ones using a herb to insult me xD
    Cause spunta seem to be.. potatoes? lmao

PWI really got some weird censored words lol
    [ -- Wolves - Alpha | Hurt me, I'll bite back. Hurt my pack, I'll snap your neck. -- ]
    edited August 2009
    Options
    k I tried to research that word and came out with something

punta is:

- a type of music
    - a slang word for a -well known- female organ
    - the edge of a sword (kinda)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ilystah
    ilystah Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    there is one topic that has *no* place here, and that is anything sexual. so words directly relating to it can be blocked.

and one that is especially offensive to myself, and i am sure, many other women, is the casual throwing around of the word '****'. there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for that to be used in this game. it is a violent, horrible crime, and nothing to be laughed off, or at. but stupid, immature players fling the word around constantly and i cringe whenever i see it. no, thank God there is no **** in this game. so please STOP saying there is.

Guess you did not read all the post, since I understand that the thread is long.

But you are wrong here. Yes, let's agree that sexual theme is not allowed. But there is too many word that DIRECTLY RELATED to sex that communication will break down if you filter them all. Do you know that "wand", "helmet", "wing" are all directly related to sex?

Even the word "****" have other meaning as well. You are just too closed minded if you think it only have 1 meaning. Yes there is **** in this game, it just you to know the different meaning of the word. If you see something offensive, screenshot it and report. Even human are fallible in judging this, even more so for a word filter.
  • Aoe - Heavens Tear
    Aoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Fox you can get your point across without blinding us. I can notice when you type in a different color but when you enlarge it it looks like you're yelling even if it's not caps. Not really necessary. Second you aren't going to stop people from using the word **** since it has two meanings. Just like every other word in the english language. Even ravishing has two meanings. As adults we can form a definition and understanding of what others are trying to say. It's closed mindedness that makes people think **** means **** and that is all.
  • Aoe - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Gm's really need to fix the form i hate when you post it cuts it off and not post the whole thing.
    **** 1 (rp)
    n.
    1. The crime of forcing another person to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse.
    2. The act of seizing and carrying off by force; abduction.
    3. Abusive or improper treatment; violation: a **** of justice.
    tr.v. ****, ****
    tr.v. ****, ****, ****
    1. To force (another person) to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse; commit **** on.
    2. To seize and carry off by force.
    3. To plunder or pillage.
  • Aoe - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    Options
    sorry about the way this posted. Anyway people use the word **** in many different ways and forms. The sexual act of **** is offensive, however the word it self is all it is. How it's used can be different. I hope GM's have enough common sense to determine what a person is trying to say when using the word.

Also there is **** in the game. When you think of town wars, people are plundering and pilaging the town. Therefor **** can be applied in that sense. People could be using the word **** as seizing a village or town from another player. In that sense it could be used as "
    "We **** you." That can be determined in so many ways. Please we throw around how immature everyone is, but truly we need to grow up ourselves and start seeing things for what they truly are.
  • Irishonion - Dreamweaver
    Irishonion - Dreamweaver Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Play single player games then. >.>
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    another game I used to play had a different way to reduce swearing:

player types: bla bla bla bla bla bitch
    message shown: I love you
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • Rurik_Niall - Dreamweaver
    Rurik_Niall - Dreamweaver Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options

It actually comes from sauerkraut, the idea being that all Germans eat sauerkraut, so people would just call them krauts if they wanted to be derogatory. Lot of derogatory names don't really make sense at first, like ****, one used for Chinese, derived from the sound made when hammering railroad spikes into the ground.
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    sorry about the way this posted. Anyway people use the word **** in many different ways and forms. The sexual act of **** is offensive, however the word it self is all it is. How it's used can be different. I hope GM's have enough common sense to determine what a person is trying to say when using the word.

Also there is **** in the game. When you think of town wars, people are plundering and pilaging the town. Therefor **** can be applied in that sense. People could be using the word **** as seizing a village or town from another player. In that sense it could be used as "
    "We **** you." That can be determined in so many ways. Please we throw around how immature everyone is, but truly we need to grow up ourselves and start seeing things for what they truly are.

LOL

my personal opinion:
    the language filters should allow the words but limit it like you may use 5 blocked words every two hours or day/somthingl ike that you are on so that some words like grasshopper could be said instead of it coming out as gr********* lol
    blocking offensive language is kinda dumb, since you have to already know it to be offended and you most likely heard it before so being exposed is nothing. i dont find swearwords and stuffz too much of a prob or annoying unless they are like spammed. you can say alot more offensive things without using the blocked words...
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    It actually comes from sauerkraut, the idea being that all Germans eat sauerkraut, so people would just call them krauts if they wanted to be derogatory. Lot of derogatory names don't really make sense at first, like ****, one used for Chinese, derived from the sound made when hammering railroad spikes into the ground.

lol i didnt know that lulz
  • Davechapelle - Sanctuary
    Davechapelle - Sanctuary Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    lol @ the easily offended people. If a few offensive words in a game bothers you to the point that you need to make a thread about it then you need to get out more.
  • Queelen - Lost City
    Queelen - Lost City Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I don't like using internet terms to describe my feelings, but I LOL'ed when saw the topic. Guys, you are getting ridicolous, I think. These names and words offends you because...? Why, exactly? I have seen tons of characters and pets romaing in this game with names like shiny ****, b*tch or lick_my_p*ssy. True story. The only thing that crossed my mind was: "Hehh, that's funny. They must be some really young kids or no-life, online perverts." It didn't offend me the slightest, even though I don't use such words and prefer speaking without them. They didn't come up to me and asked for a blow-job, so why care?

I think you just need to get a life. Screaming like a banshee and jumping on every "bad word" is a childish thing. You wouldn't see the half of these "horribly offending" things, if you weren't looking for it all the time, just so you can report something. Than you think that you made the world a better place. Well, no...

PS: I'm a woman too, and to be honest, I don't care how others use the word "****". It's a very over-used and popular (geek?) term in online games, so why go mad about it?
    This is the dark present, this is who I am,
    Long forgotten dead, deep in a cold cavern.
    Errant who got swallowed by volatile time,
    Fallen angel on the brink of endless abyss.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AinaMizuako - Sanctuary
    AinaMizuako - Sanctuary Posts: 1,041 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I don't like using internet terms to describe my feelings, but I LOL'ed when saw the topic. Guys, you are getting ridicolous, I think. These names and words offends you because...? Why, exactly? I have seen tons of characters and pets romaing in this game with names like shiny ****, b*tch or lick_my_p*ssy. True story. The only thing that crossed my mind was: "Hehh, that's funny. They must be some really young kids or no-life, online perverts." It didn't offend me the slightest, even though I don't use such words and prefer speaking without them. They didn't come up to me and asked for a blow-job, so why care?

I think you just need to get a life. Screaming like a banshee and jumping on every "bad word" is a childish thing. You wouldn't see the half of these "horribly offending" things, if you weren't looking for it all the time, just so you can report something. Than you think that you made the world a better place. Well, no...

PS: I'm a woman too, and to be honest, I don't care how others use the word "****". It's a very over-used and popular (geek?) term in online games, so why go mad about it?

+1.

Agreed with the **** thing too. Hell I use the word myself when I see a barb get utterly destroyed by 5 people. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    oh look, i'm inactive again.

b> leviciti b:cry
  • Myralis - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    Options

Yepyep, I know. Cause the bavarians seems to be the most outgoing image of Germans lol Still its an image I can only laugh about b:chuckle

Oh and Im sorry that I dont use those like you say 'commonly used words' every day xD Guess its a matter of age too lol
  • Queelen - Lost City
    Queelen - Lost City Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    +1.

Agreed with the **** thing too. Hell I use the word myself when I see a barb get utterly destroyed by 5 people. b:surrender

That must have been a painful experience. :D I usually use this term, when my predicment of a boss was wrong and the selected pet fails miserably or vica versa and the monster gets owned. Funny thing is, that there were times when my almighty golem got **** so hard, I didn't had the time to blink, while the fragile antelope roamed happily in the same area, making a wild killing spree. I always knew, that those Bambi imitations have something very evil by the core in them. :P
    This is the dark present, this is who I am,
    Long forgotten dead, deep in a cold cavern.
    Errant who got swallowed by volatile time,
    Fallen angel on the brink of endless abyss.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bollocks - Dreamweaver
    Bollocks - Dreamweaver Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Pet names i think need to apply too.. any named character or pet...

Hard_on, Bioch, slu* among others on pet names. They also need dealt with..

Another one on name... Bollocks.... it means BS in other languages.

You really are a sad guy, Lost. Now that I left your guild after being in it for a few months, my nickname is offensive or should be filtered. You really crack me up b:laugh

So whats you next attempt to throw me from the server/game b:bye
  • CypressChill - Sanctuary
    CypressChill - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    it is so sad that people go and make so much trouble over an other persons character name or pet name. No matter what it is! My GF has a character named "PussyDeluxe" and she also had people bothering her about it being insulting blablabla.
    I say mind your own bussiness if you don't like it look the other way or go play nonMMO games.

Only offensive thing I've ever seen in a game was in Guildwars where a guy in our party just didn't stop drawing Nazie simbols on our mini map.
    Don't have too worry about that no more while it's not possible to draw on the mini map here in PWI :)
  • Rurik_Niall - Dreamweaver
    Rurik_Niall - Dreamweaver Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    PussyDeluxe isn't really a name that would be offensive automatically. I mean, come on, am I the only one who remembers the term pussycat, used frequently, albeit with a speech impediment, by Tweety. I'd give a name like that the benefit of the doubt if I saw it, especially if said character was a tiger barbarian or something.
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    Alexeno - Sanctuary Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    simple, clean, and efficient answer:

GROW UP AND LRN2ACCEPT

simple fact is, it's there, it will ALWAYS be there, and no amount of PATHETIC QQing like little whinybabies is going to change it

if you can't handle cussing and slang, GTFO of the internet, cause sorry, it isn't ever going to get better

gg, bb b:bye
    //thread
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Hell hath no fury like Alexeno trying to prove his point" -Mizuoni
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Here's an even more simple fact: If you think a name is offensive, report it, and we'll deal with it if it is in violation of our rules. b:victory