Dragon Quest Question

Deirdrea - Dreamweaver
Deirdrea - Dreamweaver Posts: 16 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
Okay, I was reading the awards from the Dragon Quests. It sounds like you only get ONE order per quest completion, yet any and all items you can purchase requires a minimum of DOZENS of orders. Is this true?

Also, if that's the case, doesn't that make doing Dragon Quests completely and utterly worthless, since not one single available item from it is anywhere close to being worth repeating the same long, boring quest line 60-100 times?
Post edited by Deirdrea - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Viper_girl - Heavens Tear
    Viper_girl - Heavens Tear Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    You are completely correct. The DQ is pretty much worthless now. It used to have some value when the Silvermane and Violetmane was not in the Cashshop. During that period those horses could ONLY be obtained through the DQ.

But now it costs much more to do a DQ than you get back. Even XP wise it is cheaper to buy Oracles or Scarlet fruit for the XP than to use up the DQ items in the DQ quest.
  • Deirdrea - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Wow, I wonder why the Dragon Quests are even in the game . . .

Can you get the Penetrator another way? I would hate to have to do Dragon Quests 60 times for that.
  • Brigid - Harshlands
    Brigid - Harshlands Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    But now it costs much more to do a DQ than you get back. Even XP wise it is cheaper to buy Oracles or Scarlet fruit for the XP than to use up the DQ items in the DQ quest.

I disagree, at least for DQ61, and at the prices on Harshlands for Copper and Silver dragon orders. I don't recall the exact numbers, but the average net cost was around 45k coin in exchange for 65k XP or somewhere around there. That's assuming you can find a buyer for the dragon orders (60% copper, 40% silver). Admittedly it's still cheaper and probably less time-consuming to just plain grind, and that's at NPC price for DQ items and without teleport fees.

There are still a few molds that are only obtainable through the dragon quest. For example, the Bracers of Blood Moon are amazing for archers (-0.10s attack interval), and can only be obtained by trading in 25 copper and 25 silver dragon orders.

As for the Penetrator, the mold is also a rare drop from some mobs and bosses. Check www.pwdatabase.com/pwi . And you can always just buy the Dragon Orders from other people.
  • Deirdrea - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Well I guess my final question is, can all the Dragon Quests be done solo, or are the monsters to kill elite or boss-type monsters?
  • Brigid - Harshlands
    Brigid - Harshlands Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    http://vanaheim.the-aria.com/pw/dragon-quest/ has pretty much all the information you'd ever need regarding DQs.

DQ20 just asks you to kill normal monsters for the last step, however starting at DQ31 you'll have to kill an elite/"miniboss" type monster.

The DQ31 boss just about exclusively uses Poison damage and has a fair bit of HP, so you'll want a cleric to help with that.

DQ41 and 51 bosses are both melee, so you should be able to solo them by kiting and using your skills well. If I recall correctly you can get a lot of mileage out of the terrain too (jumping over a wall while it has to walk around, etc). Tough for melee classes, but easy for an archer.

DQ61... I can't quite solo him yet, since he's got a ranged attack and there's not enough space to kite him without running into more aggressive ranged mobs.

In each case so far just having a single cleric helping virtually guarantees success, assuming you don't just stand there and let them hit you.
    edited August 2009
    Well, I guess might have to just try a few DQs and see if you find it worthwhile. I did over 120 DQs hoping to get the Silvermane before they introduced it into the cash shop and all my Copper and Silver Orders dropped to less than half the value overnight. This was on Heavens Tear.

I found the DQs quite boring and expensive. But if you are out of quests and don't like to make your own grinding decisions, the DQ does it for you. You may have to visit NPCs all over the place but you still have to hand in DQ items which can only be gotten from endless grinding. The difference is that you don't get to keep or sell those DQ items. It is just a grinding quest with a storyline.

I did DQs 41-61. As far as the other molds, they did not interest me and most likely you would get it cheaper at least for now with the glut of cheap DOs by buying the DOs.

Oh yes with 41 onwards you need to kill Elites but they are quite easy for a Veno especially if you are a few levels above them. I dunno about Archers. But get help the first few times until you get a feeling as to how well you can handle them solo.
  • Deirdrea - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Okay, something buggy is going on with me. I went to start DQ20, and I was told I'd have to hand in 5 Dull Claws. This doesn't make sense as that's an item for DQ31. So what's going on? Do the quests not come in order? Is the DQ based entirely on what level you are when you start the quests? If so, that makes the quests even more worthless because it gives you a time limit and doesn't allow you to do any earlier stuff.

So since the answer is obvious, I suppose fair warning should go out: if you're above the DQ level, it automatically jumps you up to the next one. They don't go in a specific selectable order! Looks like I screwed the pooch on that one. No DQ for me I guess.
    edited August 2009
    Okay, something buggy is going on with me. I went to start DQ20, and I was told I'd have to hand in 5 Dull Claws. This doesn't make sense as that's an item for DQ31. So what's going on? Do the quests not come in order? Is the DQ based entirely on what level you are when you start the quests? If so, that makes the quests even more worthless because it gives you a time limit and doesn't allow you to do any earlier stuff.

So since the answer is obvious, I suppose fair warning should go out: if you're above the DQ level, it automatically jumps you up to the next one. They don't go in a specific selectable order! Looks like I screwed the pooch on that one. No DQ for me I guess.

The Dull Claws are required to become qualified to do DQs. It is a one time thing after that you get the choice to do any or all the DQs up to your level. You will not be given the DQ 31 option until you are at that level.

Be warned though that I don't really see how DQs can even be close to paying for themselves. Each DQ requires stopping at 10 NPCs. Something like 7 of them require you to hand in DQ items.

If I remember correctly DQ41 required 10 each which means 70 DQ items at a NPC cost of 1.5K-2K? each. So we are at say around 120K in NPC DQ cost, to have a 80% chance of getting a 15-20K Copper DO and a 20% chance of getting a 150-200K Silver DO.

That means the average value of a DQ 41 reward is 56K at the most, but costs over 120K.

DQ 51 requires 15 DQ items at each NPC for a 25% chance to get a Silver DO and DQ 61 requires 20 DQ items at each NPC to get I think an 80% chance for a Silver and 20% chance at a Gold DO. DQ61 only gives Silver and Gold DOs as a reward but given the value of each DQ item is I think 2.5K NPCd that is over 350K. The realistic (saleable) value on at least a few of the servers I checked is around 200K for Silver and a little more for Gold DOs.
  • Deirdrea - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    So no matter how you slice it, it's never worth doing the Dragon Quests basically? Thanks for the advice.