LV 14 veno has hit an XP wall

idontneedanick
idontneedanick Posts: 19 Arc User
edited September 2009 in General Discussion
I have two good pets (lv 14 sharptooth and lv14 saw fly) and am in Timberfield preparing (trying to level) to get a crystaline. At lv 14 I dont have any trouble with mobs up to about lv 20 - but I only get ... average ... 80 to 90 XP.

At this rate I will never level (I need three for a crystaline and six for a bunny).

Is this a dead spot in veno XP or should I be doing quests?

Or is there a KickMyAssForEasyXP mob that I dont know about?
Post edited by idontneedanick on

Comments

• DarkSniper - Lost City
    DarkSniper - Lost City Posts: 1,830 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Go do quests.
    The only way to win is to quit. b:bye
  • TheGoliath - Heavens Tear
    TheGoliath - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    there are no KickmyassforeasyXP mobs

just do ur quests and grind only when u finished them all
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Grinding for experience at low levels is the worst way to go about it. Your quests at those levels provide the fastest experience.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • idontneedanick
    edited August 2009
    Ok, thanks.
  • Nakhimov - Lost City
    Nakhimov - Lost City Posts: 1,829 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Do quests for now but when you get to even high 6x, you'll be doing plenty of grinding.

For example I've got 3m+ xp to level but only 5 quests
    Bladestorm lets you spin around like a carnival ride and do damage. Not using it is almost like having a move called Confetti Rocket Power Leap and saving it for "emergencies"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nakhimov the Kingslayer of Kil'Jaeden's <Criminal Scum>
    wowprogress.com/guild/us/kil-jaeden/Criminal+Scum
  • Gammaburst - Harshlands
    Gammaburst - Harshlands Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Yea, i had a hell of a time getting over that XP wall at lvl 14. But then after that it was smooth sailing to lvl 87. Why they make lvl 14 so hard?
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    didn't you say you've played this game for 6months?
  • Nakhimov - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    He's also said he's a physicist and a programmer.

And Jesus.
    Bladestorm lets you spin around like a carnival ride and do damage. Not using it is almost like having a move called Confetti Rocket Power Leap and saving it for "emergencies"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ryyke - Lost City
    Ryyke - Lost City Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Ah, the 14 exp wall. We lost a lot of players that day.

Here's to all the fallen avatars. b:surrender
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    Alyyy - Sanctuary Posts: 3,165 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    b:sweat such a noobpie thread lol.....gridnign at tat lvl isnt much longer then 15 mins for lvl >.<heck u get 20 in half an hour >.<
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • idontneedanick
    edited August 2009
    All true.

This is the first time I have leveled a veno by grinding. This isnt like ... those other games that allow leveling by grinding. 95 XP for a lv14 killing a crystaline ... ok, its there game. (The quests are fun, but so is killing mobs).

I have worked professionally as a programmer a very long time. I majored in physics and had the pleasure to study under nobel prize winners - willis lamb and his chief experimentalist bill wing. I worked for years at kitt peak national observatory doing photoelectric photometry on suspected hyades star cluster members for a dutch astronomer named Jan Oort. But over the longer term - designing products (software) and writing them. (Although I have designed hardware, control computers, communications systems etc).

... just to set the record straight. It doesnt mean anything. And you were wrong about my being Jesus.

I'm not wrong about your being a smart ****. :)
  • idontneedanick
    edited August 2009
    b:sweat such a noobpie thread lol.....gridnign at tat lvl isnt much longer then 15 mins for lvl >.<heck u get 20 in half an hour >.<

Alyyy, I dont understand it, but there seems to be a plateau at lv14. Its just flat. Maybe its just for the veno. I'm sure quest rewards will level past it. (In other titles I level a toon to lv 20 or so in about 8 hours).

P.S.
    The mobs arent the problem. Its the very small XP rate. At time it can spike to around 150. But normally it stays between 80 and 90 with a 3 to 5 level difference.

It just surprised me. I thought perhaps - being untamed - and grinding outside ether, I was paying an XP penalty or something.

By the way, it was an honest question. All the kiddies here should just not bother responding. I'm not offended or impressed. It just wastes time.

And thanks to those with advice.
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Quests are the fastest way to level lower levels period.

While grinding with a veno to pick up pace have pet attack one enemy you attack another. Then your twice as fast...just don't die.
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • idontneedanick
    edited August 2009
    Quests are the fastest way to level lower levels period.

While grinding with a veno to pick up pace have pet attack one enemy you attack another. Then your twice as fast...just don't die.

Interesting. Thanks.
  • Nakhimov - Lost City
    edited August 2009

Doesn't take a college degree to see that b:cute

In complete honesty though, if you can't deal with a slow grind you may want to quit now and move to another MMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited August 2009

yeah about that, what may help in taking on multiple mobs with the veno without getting hurt too much is that you should always let your pet grab aggro with say bash or flesh ream, then have the pet attack another mob while you hit this first mob that is still going after your pet. this gets much easier when you have a magmite who can tank a couple of mobs well.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • iceknave
    iceknave Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Kill speed also makes a difference.

If it's taking you 4 to 5 shots to kill a level 20 monsters, but only 2 to 3 shots to kill a monster at the same level, you're better off killing the latter type of monster even though your xp per kill is slightly lower. You'll get around 2x the kills for a little under twice the xp of the former in the same time span.

Your rate of xp gain is basically number of monsters killed per time interval x xp per monster killed. Increase the former enough, the latter is less important and vice versa.

Just check and see how long it's taking you to kill the level 20 and then go and find some monsters around your level and see how long it's taking you. Compare and then kill the one that gives you more xp per time interval.
    Induction ID (Doomsbog): 3080068X031808024008351Z3f4d22
  • idontneedanick
    edited August 2009
    Doesn't take a college degree to see that b:cute

In complete honesty though, if you can't deal with a slow grind you may want to quit now and move to another MMO.

I'll break their rule this one time.

I have farmed uniques in AL for three months twice with an ele and a ranger.

It was just flat - which surprised me. It happened when I started grinding as untamed outside timberfield. There was a possibility it was a penalty.

The quests just give XP away. I have done 2 levels since the last post.
  • idontneedanick
    edited August 2009
    iceknave wrote: »
    Kill speed also makes a difference.

If it's taking you 4 to 5 shots to kill a level 20 monsters, but only 2 to 3 shots to kill a monster at the same level, you're better off killing the latter type of monster even though your xp per kill is slightly lower. You'll get around 2x the kills for a little under twice the xp of the former in the same time span.

Your rate of xp gain is basically number of monsters killed per time interval x xp per monster killed. Increase the former enough, the latter is less important and vice versa.

Just check and see how long it's taking you to kill the level 20 and then go and find some monsters around your level and see how long it's taking you. Compare and then kill the one that gives you more xp per time interval.

I'll try that. I did try multiple targets (a few minutes ago). Seemed to work ok. (Ironwood->pet attack then I did a weaker mob - my level). I'll try your idea.
  • Gammaburst - Harshlands
    Gammaburst - Harshlands Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    You did 2 levels and got over the lvl 14 XP wall. Congratulations!!! That awesome resume you stated earlier may have gotten your foot in the door but it was your perseverance that pulled you through. Again, a hearty Congratulations is deserved.

He got past the PWI initiation lvl. He's one of us now, a full fledged PWI member. Treat him with the respect he deserves.
  • Ryyke - Lost City
    Ryyke - Lost City Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    In all seriousness, quests really are the best way to go. I mean, sure, you can grind if you want to. Just understand that doing so will net you a lot less exp than if you do quests. Level 16 will get you probably .9% per mob if I remember correctly (I'm leveling a veno now, currently level 25, and getting around .5% per kill). You can also get some decent equipment from questing which will help you kill mobs faster.

So, stick with grinding if you want to, just know that you'll be doing plenty of it in your later levels.
  • idontneedanick
    edited August 2009
    Using quests ... from the time I said I was going to use quests above ... I have leveled four times to 18, gone to Timberland and captured a crystaline magmite and have it tamed. (Havent leveled it yet).

I guess they mean you top use quests. Good and bad. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the FG's. I dumped my highlevel archer because I tend to solo - and he was stuck because of FB's. This veno is an experiment to see what happens at FB19 (Is that it with tail? I think it was with tree huggers).

We shall see.

P.S.
    I like Wellspring and (even though it is 1000 c away) Timberfield.
    The Crystaline is now leveled. Next level (I think) is the FB test - or is that lvl 20. I dont remember. Its the equivalent of the one across the river from Plume in the cave with the undine and the scorpion.

I just ran into a kid that did nothing but follow me around trying to take my drops. The sad thing was he was near my level and had a minkii pet. He actually would try to take my drops while I was standing there. Wanna bet on how many RL friends this guy has? Sad.
  • HerBuffSlave - Sanctuary
    HerBuffSlave - Sanctuary Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2009

I have worked professionally as a programmer a very long time. I majored in physics and had the pleasure to study under nobel prize winners - willis lamb and his chief experimentalist bill wing. I worked for years at kitt peak national observatory doing photoelectric photometry on suspected hyades star cluster members for a dutch astronomer named Jan Oort. But over the longer term - designing products (software) and writing them. (Although I have designed hardware, control computers, communications systems etc).

... just to set the record straight. It doesnt mean anything. And you were wrong about my being Jesus.

ogre.jpg
  • Kannone - Heavens Tear
    Kannone - Heavens Tear Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I lol'ed when I saw this thread b:laugh
  • Kylley - Sanctuary
    Kylley - Sanctuary Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I lol'ed when I saw this thread b:laugh

I loled toob:chuckle

boo4u wrote: »
    This topic is a prime example of what a veno is...dumb.Hell i though barbs were bad.

Except for that -_-
    Hi! =^.^=
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Main pets:
    Rayder, Sharptooth Wolfling: main pet
    Lyro, Guardian Wolf: magic tank, dder
    Kowlin: lurer
    Flameche, Blazing Pheonix
    BigBro, Crystalline Magmite: tanker (Yes i finally have a magmite, my bro gave me his cause he got a Walker b:surrender )
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I loled toob:chuckle

Except for that -_-

lawlz !
  • Ikurei - Dreamweaver
    Ikurei - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    boo4u wrote: »
    This topic is a prime example of what a veno is...dumb.Hell i though barbs were bad.
    And your point is? No, I'm serious. Continue your stupidity so I can increase my post count as I flame you. I'd really appreciate it.
    Using quests ... from the time I said I was going to use quests above ... I have leveled four times to 18, gone to Timberland and captured a crystaline magmite and have it tamed. (Havent leveled it yet).

I guess they mean you top use quests. Good and bad. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the FG's. I dumped my highlevel archer because I tend to solo - and he was stuck because of FB's. This veno is an experiment to see what happens at FB19 (Is that it with tail? I think it was with tree huggers This part in parentheses confuses me. Please explain.).

We shall see.

P.S.
    I like Wellspring and (even though it is 1000 c away) Timberfield.
    The Crystaline is now leveled. Next level (I think) is the FB test - or is that lvl 20. I dont remember. Its the equivalent of the one across the river from Plume in the cave with the undine and the scorpion.

I just ran into a kid that did nothing but follow me around trying to take my drops. The sad thing was he was near my level and had a minkii pet. He actually would try to take my drops while I was standing there. Wanna bet on how many RL friends this guy has? Sad.

You're going to die. Horribly. You might get to the boss but you'll die. Yes, venos are solo classes. No, they can't solo their own FBs at the level they're given (unless the veno has a herc).

By "high-level" archer, what are you talking about? Low to mid 60/70s? Or do you mean 80/90s? Just a general idea would be nice (I know it's off-topic but I'm curious).

And what exactly was the point of the second part of your "PS"?
    Meh, saw a couple other people doing this so...
    "Time to kill a famous thread then." andracil
    "Banning a troll is the ultimate troll my good sirs" eatwithspoons
    "Be careful about all of the GIRLs (Guy in RL) that you meet." eatwithspoons
    "We are all trolls or else we wouldn't have so many posts under our names. Deal with it." Sevas - Heavens Tear
    "Necro hunting >:3
    Also, I'm in someone's sig!" andracil (Sorry, I had to.b:surrender)
    "Welcome to the forums. You will die here." Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
  • ascubastevej
    ascubastevej Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I am at the level 6 wall.

Mostly because I can't work out this bloody game lol.
  • Nakhimov - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    I am at the level 6 wall.

Mostly because I can't work out this bloody game lol.

CLICK MOUSE, KILL THINGS!

at least that's how I do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kylley - Sanctuary
    Kylley - Sanctuary Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    lawlz !

>.> ... im not sure at what youre laughing at...
    Hi! =^.^=
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Main pets:
    Rayder, Sharptooth Wolfling: main pet
    Lyro, Guardian Wolf: magic tank, dder
    Kowlin: lurer
    Flameche, Blazing Pheonix
    BigBro, Crystalline Magmite: tanker (Yes i finally have a magmite, my bro gave me his cause he got a Walker b:surrender )