DPS pet

Options
Vitenka - Dreamweaver
Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Venomancer
Let's have a new debate, then.

I'm often not the only Veno in a squad. Heck, today I was the SIXTH veno.
So trying to use a tank pet is a bit silly. So I want a DPS pet.

What do people advise? Should I raise a scorpion? Or do any of the wolves or cats get competitive at higher levels? (Ye gods, lunar wolf CERTAINLY isn't an attacker)

Ideally this would be a pet I can use right away, rather than needing lots of levelling up. Since my default if I need to level up will be to just continue levelling the eldergoth and magmite.
Post edited by Vitenka - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Not much to discuss.....

Here is the list. Pick one.

Scorpion (Pollen, Pup, Varicose)
    Crystalline Magmite
    Antelope Pup
    Nine Tail Foxie
    Bloodthirsty Adalwolf
    Kowlin
    Cuddly Pup
    Qingfu (Emerald, Jaden, Verdant)
    Frogling

Put 3 attack skills and either Howl, or Threaten, depending if your party is patck heavy or caster heavy. Howl would help with DPS, threaten would make the barb and cleric happy. If you use mostly fox form, than put pierce in it.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I like my wolf. good accuracy and 0.8 hits/second. I tamed a snake at low lvl. better DD but too squishy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • Venofficial - Dreamweaver
    Venofficial - Dreamweaver Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with your marksman. Free Bash to 4 and open slots to add buffs, debuffs, or other attacks.

To be honest a DPS is really not necessary, rather in a party situation a veno pet that is not tanking or luring should debuff and increase everyones overall dps. I do not know the numbers but I am sure 6 people with increased damage will outdo the overall pet damage. DPS pets imo should be reserved for PvP.

However, if you must go dps the above post is correct and of that list to not need to level you should try to tame or buy a Kowlin or keep what you have.
  • Nehemiah - Harshlands
    Nehemiah - Harshlands Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I would personally just use a debuff pet in group fights agains't mobs with lots of hp.

DPS pets are for leveling.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Pets out DPS chars in TT because of damage reduction. It may not be necessary, but it sure can help especially with timed bosses.

Pets shouldn't always be the debuffers. The highest Pierce for a pet isn't as good as Sage Ironwood, or Barb's phys debuff and it over-writes it. Clerics have a better mag def debuff if not using BB. Debuffing with your pet generates a lot of aggro towards it.

A ranged pet is not bad for DPS on short range AoE bosses because it won't require as much or any attention (healing) as other pets. A Scorpion has the highest land DPS (highest for instances), but would be unsuitable for short range AoE bosses.

Applied skills generate a lot of aggro. Debuffs are applied skills. High DPS combined with applied skills runs higher risk of gaining aggro, though it depends on tanker. I've had lower level barbs hold aggro fine with my Scorpion w/ Claw using Pierce on auto. But have had higher level barbs lose aggro with no skills on pet.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Yeah, pure damage isn't the whole solution (otherwise I'd just have looked up the handy list), I was wondering about the rest too.

So what pet debuffs are worth using? I've used pierce and howl of course, is threaten actually helpful? Anything else? Stun is great, but bosses are immune, of course.

And yeah, I guess there's a balance between doing enough damage to make a dent and becoming the main tank by accident. So I think I want enough defence to be able to make that mistake for a moment.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Threaten I use a lot for debuff luring. I don't always want to wait to charge up bramble hood, and sometimes use both or both + foxform. Others use it or Tough as a way to buy more time to nuke.
    And yeah, I guess there's a balance between doing enough damage to make a dent and becoming the main tank by accident.

Stick to chores like Amp Damage, Purge, Lending Hand, Ironwood, and you'll be more effective and take much less risk.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »
    Stick to chores like Amp Damage, Purge, Lending Hand, Ironwood, and you'll be more effective and take much less risk.

Yes, but I might as well have as effective a pet as possible, whilst doing all that. And the yellow blob, whilst fantastic at soaking damage, basically sucks at dishing it out.