dragon quest versus regular quest

Options
deckardx
deckardx Posts: 23 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
I ignored the dragon quest until i was about 32 or 33 level and than i did the 20th level dq and i got 5 copper orders and traded them in for a badge of wisdom. than i started doing the 31 level dq and i got 2 more copper orders. At this point it seems apparent to me that i can complete the dq or the regular 30-39 level quests but not both. if i finish the dq ill be more than 40th level and than i can either do the 40th level dq or the regular 40th level quests. i asked my faction leader if the dq provides more spirit than regular quests and he said no i should do the bounty hunter. it seems to me i can do the bounty hunter and still do the regular quests or the dq but im getting the impression the dq is not worth the effort and expense it takes. it seems to me the regular quests are more lucrative. my question do regular quests or dragonquest provide more spirit or more exp. which is better for which. or is one of the two a waste of effort.
deckardx
Post edited by deckardx on

Comments

• Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Well, there's nothing stopping you doing quests at a lower level than you.

You can also slow your levelling down by throwing XP into your genie, if you want to.

But yes, dragon quest provides a big chunk of XP in exchange for cash (well, for items which you can sell for cash)

Bounty hunter provides a HUGE chunk of XP (about 20%) in exchange for doing bosses. It's almost certainly the better deal in terms of time spent, though there is a slight risk.

Or you can ignore both and do quests and explore the world.
  • deckardx
    deckardx Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    ru saying i should do regular quests and dragon quests. im trying to ask which is better dragon quests or regular quests.
  • Loner - Harshlands
    Loner - Harshlands Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    You should always do regular quests. Apart from the cultis which you need to get fbs, the rest of the quests usually give u rewards such as armor and shards and especially at low lvls its a quick way to gain exp.

DQ is a personal choice. Some people are too lazy to farm for dq items and dont wanna buy them. Personally it gives me a reason to grind and at the end you can either sell your dragon orders or collect them to get a rare mount (although not so rare anymore lol). At low lvls it's a way to help you gain extra xp, but you might have to sell the dq items for money instead. So if money is a problem just leave it for now.
  • rinuruc
    rinuruc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    how many copper/silver/gold orders do u receive when u do one of those quests?
    (is it worth doing em to get molds from those orders?)
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    rinuruc wrote: »
    how many copper/silver/gold orders do u receive when u do one of those quests?
    (is it worth doing em to get molds from those orders?)

You get one order, which at low levels is almost always copper. (Silver starts dropping around the 41/51 quest, gold around the 61/71 quest, hit up pwdatabase for the rates)

You can talk to the director for a list of what everything costs, but you're looking at at least 50 for anything vaguely useful. (The lottery I haven't tried. that's cheaper to enter)

My advice would be:
    Unless your quest list is actually full, there's really no reason to not have all the dragon quests you can get in it.
    I'd not bother chasing them down, but any time you're in the area (or flying across the area to get to some other quest) trade in the items / kill the mobs.

It fills out more of the map with useful things.

Of course, it might also be better to just sell the DQ items and BUY the horse, now.
  • JasmineSoul - Sanctuary
    JasmineSoul - Sanctuary Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    You can still do your lvl 30's quests when you are in your 40's. Other than that, dq is a waste of time (in my opinion). All that running around for a copper dragon order you can buy cheap in a catshop. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Thiede - Dreamweaver
    Thiede - Dreamweaver Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Dragon Quest is a waste of coin...even if you don't actually spend any coin. I never bought a DQ drop; I never teleported from place to place specifically for DQ. I flew there or I went during my World Quest.

I did DQ up to lvl 70 something. I finally was convinced to stop and sold the **** I had left. I had over 1.5 million in coins just in the DQ drops that I hadn't used. Plus the orders that I've still got rotting in the bank. I did SOOOO many DQ's. If I had just sold all of that junk (even just to an NPC) I would have made millions throughout the levels.

So...DQ is not worth it. The piddly amount of EXP that you get compared to the coin that you could have gotten is just not worth it. I can grind the experience faster than doing the stupid DQ.

And...not that I was going for a horse, because I think barbs are WAY too big for them, but now they are a permanent addition to the Cash Shop...leaving little reason to do DQ. Ok, some molds...pfft.

Regular quests are easier, quicker and will benefit you more in the long run.
  • Brigid - Harshlands
    Brigid - Harshlands Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Personally I've always done the odd DQ while traveling about for other reasons, but never really gone out of my way for it until DQ61. I've pretty much run out of quests and grinding is boring, so I'll go do the occasional DQ61 now to relieve the tedium.

Also, according to the DQ guide at http://vanaheim.the-aria.com/pw/dragon-quest/, DQ61 costs 150k coins worth of DQ items in exchange for Exp - 65000; SP - 13400; Copper Order (60%) or Silver Order (40%). At current dragon order prices on Harshlands, that's an average of 115k from simply selling the orders. Net loss of 35k coin for 65k XP isn't that bad at all.

Finally, I'm aiming for one of the DQ-given mold wristguards. Specifically, the Bracers of Blood Moon. -0.1 seconds between hits sounds REALLY nice to me, especially combined with Wind and Clouds once I hit 69.
  • exileddw
    exileddw Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Dragon quest = waste of time..
    Do normal quests(if you have them ^_^)
    Normal quests = money ( you get more money selling DQ items )
    And.... grind... more exp grinding than doing DQ.. i can grind 200k exp in 1 hr with exp scroll and make 200k easy .. Dont do Dq... waste of time ^_^
  • rinuruc
    rinuruc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    what molds r the good ones u can get from dq?
    n can u get those molds in any other way?