ati radeon 4770 perfomance problems

Feinrel - Heavens Tear
Feinrel - Heavens Tear Posts: 36 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Off-Topic Discussion
Hello pwi. Something that i have come to understand from this perfect world is the fect that the player next to you could be a 10 years old kid or a brillliant enginer, so i will take advantage of this and shoot this question here :P

I recently bough a ati radeon 4770 512mb (powercolor). So far its a fair card, but what i have read is that it is an amazing card with some really good numbers in bechmarks. I use a small monitor, 17inches, so i play at 1280x1024. and i have try games like crysis, devil may cry 4, the last remnant and some others ( cant remember all the names). But my main problems has been recently with Unreal tournament 3, with maximun setting and and 1280x1024 resolution i can barely run it at 40fps maximun frame 35(average frame). UT3 its a game of speed, and the benchmarks i have seen in the web shows some really good numbers in bigger resolutions of 1920x1080 O_O. So, whats wrong with my system???

I have a amd athlon x2 4800+ 2.5ghz, 2gb ram ddr2800. I have a generic psu 600wats, and also my motherboard its chipset nvidia, not sure if this is slowing me down that much. One last thing, my pcie bus its of 8x, i dont if this have something to do either.

So, if any of you know a posible reason of this lack of perfomance, i will apretiate your help :3

Cheers b:thanks
Post edited by Feinrel - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Nagikou - Dreamweaver
    Nagikou - Dreamweaver Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Those are some pretty impressive numbers. From what I can see, your system meets all the minimal requirements to run the game. I'm not a genius when it comes to games but I do enjoy looking things up to fix issues. Here are some I found that might be useful-
    -Turn off "FPS Smoothing" in Advanced Video Settings
    -Look up patches to fix the issue (there are some, you just have to find them. XD)
    -Try running it on slower frames (than that of average)
    -Check your drivers (make sure you have the latest sets)
    -Also be sure that you have at least 8gb of room left on your HDD.

Well, I gave the slightest of my intel here. I hope it'll help in some way. ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Feinrel - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    ill try that, tx bro :)
  • Ryo_Hazuki - Lost City
    Ryo_Hazuki - Lost City Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Well, I'd get some more RAM (probably most important here), overclock your CPU and GPU (be sure you can cool it, as it's an AMD proccessor) and ditch Windows Vista and get Ubuntu Linux or Windows XP 64-bit if you have it.

Also, FPS is critical in UT3, best of luck to you (and while you're at it, get Unreal Tournament 1999).
    Owner of MadAngels Lost City Faction.
    MadAngels Forum at sonictheplumber.com/forum
  • Feinrel - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    should i try windows 7? some of mi friends told me that in the 7600 version its pretty good, less resources consume and better perfomance of a dual core cpu. Also, ut3 seens to be the only game that its giving me probles, i even played crysis in very high (no AA and 1280x960) and it runs from 25to30fps. Heck, i even play gears of wars with constant fps 8same engine -.-) and idk whats wrong with ut3. Anyway, ill try to overclock my cpu, my radeon its already clocked at 830core 850ram (wont take it any higher since i have a generic psu).

Anyway, ty all for the tips :3
  • Ryo_Hazuki - Lost City
    Ryo_Hazuki - Lost City Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Even still, you have almost no RAM.
    Owner of MadAngels Lost City Faction.
    MadAngels Forum at sonictheplumber.com/forum
  • Feinrel - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    ok, so ram comes first, i will get a new module of 2gigs to run my system with 4gigs, maybe that will help my system a litle bit. tx :)
  • Eredor - Lost City
    Eredor - Lost City Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I bet that ur 2->4 GB RAM will give u less than 5% performance boost, if any. Okay, if it's going to be dual channel, it may help. Still, I bet: no more than 10% if ur mobo supports DC. Test that and post the result afterwards, really.

As an ATI card owner, you should use ATI Tray Tools by Ray Adams and post the graphs here... FPS and Memory usage are enough. Ah and you should also check ur fps in other games with ATT. Also, keep in mind that your connection speed may affect performance!

BTW I discourage you to overclock: your GPU is surely brand new and you lose warranty when you o/c. Keep this in mind. This applies to other accesories as well.
    Homo viator Q_Q