PWI on net book?

wynke
wynke Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Support Desk
Just purchased my first wireless device (besides my iPhone), and was wondering if I might be able to play PWI on it if I used a memory expansion device? Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but computing isn't one of my talents. b:chuckle Below is the info on the specific device I am asking about.

Acer Aspire One
Intel Atom processor N270
RAM: 1 GB DDR2
Storage: 160 GB
Multi-in-1 card reader
LAN: 10/100 base T BT
Wireless: 802.11 b/g

If you recommend a certain type of memory expansion device, can you please be specific? I'm ok with desktop technology, but this is mostly new territory for me.

Thanks so much in advance for you help. I admire all you TechGods! GO GEEKS!!b:dirty b:kiss
Post edited by wynke on

Comments

• XxCrimsonxX - Dreamweaver
    XxCrimsonxX - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    if it has a discrete GPU..like a (i think..correct me if I am wrong) the nvidia 9300M or a "nice" Intel GMA 950 (or better), then i THINK you should be ok to play.
  • dogmatix
    dogmatix Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    the spec you supplied there should play the game just fine. But like Crimson said, the graphics chip is more of your concern than anything else as netbooks arent designed with gaming in mind. Let us know how it goes though
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Please tell us what video chip it has, and what the latest version of the driver you are running.

If it is the Intel video chipset, I severely doubt you will be able to run it.

If it has the nVidia chipset, you may have a better time, but you will have to turn off/turn down ALL of the graphic settings and you won't be able to multi-task while the game is running.

If you can get another 1GB of RAM on it, you will be better off.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • wynke
    edited August 2009
    Just the usual Intel graphics chipset for mobile with accelerator :( sooo no doubt it won't work. Oh well, at least I can carry this little thing in situations where a laptop isn't practical and keep up with the forums and such. Thanks for the info folks!
  • KangLin - Lost City
    KangLin - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    It works pretty damn well for me and I have an ASUS Eee Netbook with a normal intel chip graphics card. I was surprised when I ran it! Even in windowed mode with stuff in the background, no lag.
  • Prowler - Heavens Tear
    Prowler - Heavens Tear Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I use a Dell Mini 9 netbook (it's no longer in production, they now have the Mini 10i) and the game works fine on it. I have turned Effects down to the second-lowest setting so I can still see the casting effects, and I have distances set at max. No discrete graphics chipset on the Mini 9, just the Intel integrated one.

The specs of my netbook are almost identical to yours, just that the resolution is 1024x600.
    --
    Prowler (Venomancer) on Heaven's Tear

Former Leader of QuestSeek: International level 3 faction.
  • The_Champion - Sanctuary
    The_Champion - Sanctuary Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I have a netbook about the same and the game worked perfectly. I already made this thread by the way. The graphics were same quality, though there was a little glitch with fighting the first couple of battle but it goes away. But it does comeback when you close the program.

(my netbook was from the same producer, same memory, etc...)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sounds about right
  • darthpanda16
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for the info everybody!

That graphics chipset even gives people issues in laptops and budget desktops, so I'm glad it can work for some of you!
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • wynke
    edited August 2009
    Thanks bunches for the info! I'll give it a shot. Would it help if I loaded the client on a zip drive? I have an extra 2GB one around here somewhere.
  • surtr
    surtr Posts: 3,378 Perfect World Employee
    edited August 2009
    A zip drive? Probably not. They were great for storage a few years back, but the transfer speeds aren't really conducive to gaming and 2gb isn't big enough anyway - the client is around 3.5gb.
    ==/Senior QA Lead/==

Surtr from the south wielding fire
    The gods' swords shine in the darkness, like stars in the night
    Mountains collapse into rubble and fiends shall fall
    Man walks the road to ruin as the sky splits in two

• wynke
    edited August 2009
    Thanks folks, about to give it a shot while I run errands. Wish me luck! If this works, I'll be able to at least grind a little during down times at work. I have some time between "emergencies" and after all the routine stuff is done. I work nights and on my own, so it can get pretty boring. Not having to make space for a full size laptop is great too, as I already lug a good deal of equipment around in my bags.

I'll let you all know how it goes :) Again, many thanks for all the help. b:thanks
  • wynke
    edited August 2009
    YAY!!! Such joy b:laugh Works a treat. I watched duels in Ether and went grinding conquering dustwraiths (or w/e) and had no appreciable lag or problems. Other than the screen being rather small, the only issue I had was keyboard fingering and feel. Nothing a little practice and a stick-on felt pad or two can't fix.

Thanks for all your advice and feedback everyone! Now I can put off the purchase of a laptop until the new battery technology comes out this next year. At least I hear it may be ready by then.
  • darthpanda16
    edited August 2009
    I suggest a USB wired or wireless optical mouse to make gaming on it easier.

You can play the game fully with just a mouse and use just the keyboard for chat if you want.
This discussion has been closed.