Two Accounts

suki3000
suki3000 Posts: 11 Arc User
edited August 2009 in General Discussion
Hi,
I was wondering are you aloud to have two accounts on the same computer in PWI? And if so can u play on different servers with those accounts?

Thanx for your help in advance b:pleased
Post edited by suki3000 on

Comments

• Dominatiger - Sanctuary
    Dominatiger - Sanctuary Posts: 1,066 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I have 2 accounts. One mine and one for my sister. we play in the same computer. And yes I have chars all over the servers.

The truth is I dont know if it is bannable... but I dont think it is, since I have 2 accounts on the same computer for nearly 6 months.
    Happy Sauce face

ಪ_ಪ
    Manufactured by Konariraiden
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    The bannable part is playing on two different accounts at the SAME TIME on the same physical computer.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Rurik_Niall - Dreamweaver
    Rurik_Niall - Dreamweaver Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    That depends, you can use two different accounts on the same computer, for instance you can use your account on your computer, and if your sister plays as well she can also use the same computer to play on her account. Just make sure you don't share account information, or both try to play at the same time on the same computer. If you mean can you yourself use two separate accounts, I'm not really sure why you'd want to, you can have more than one character per account, and having two different accounts would have no benefit I can see.
  • Kardie - Dreamweaver
    Kardie - Dreamweaver Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    its bannable to have 2 clients running at the same time.
  • andracil
    andracil Posts: 2,949 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    All the above is correct. Don't share the account information, and don't have both accounts running at the same time on the same computer, and you're all clear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    If, for whatever reason someone did want to have two accounts though, is that kosher or not? I can't really think of any good reason why anyone would want to, but if it's been asked I suppose that means somebody does.
  • suki3000
    suki3000 Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Thank you all for your very fast response,

I was asking as I have only 1 account for myself, and was thinking of making 2nd account for my house mate who is interested in playing, we share the same computer (as his computer doesnt work). I work during the days and he works nights. So it works out well, internet charges are shared between us.
    I have no intension of running two accounts on the same computer at the same time, indeed I didn’t even think that was possible.Just thought I better find out if this is allowed as I don't want to risk getting my account banned from this awesome game.

thanx again all
    edited August 2009
    That would be perfectly fine then, yes.
  • rsin
    rsin Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    If, for whatever reason someone did want to have two accounts though, is that kosher or not? I can't really think of any good reason why anyone would want to, but if it's been asked I suppose that means somebody does.

Ive seen alot of people who have 2 or more computers run 2 accounts. for example 1 computer with a barb, 1 computer with a cleric. I guess some people like to play that way. Easier to some ppl than trying to find help from others i guess. especially late nights when your whole friendslist seems to be offline.
  • G_ree_n - Sanctuary
    G_ree_n - Sanctuary Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    andracil wrote: »
    All the above is correct. Don't share the account information, and don't have both accounts running at the same time on the same computer, and you're all clear.
    But having them on different computers is ok, right? Because if I wanted to run a catshop on my daughter's computer on a second account while I was doing quests and stuff on my main account, that shouldn't be against the rules, right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Roll a barb on Sanctuary for hot cleric action. b:kiss
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    2 different accounts, running on 2 different computers, at the same time, is just fine

2 different accounts, running on the same computer, at different times, is just fine

1 person, owning 2 accounts, is just fine

2 different accounts, running on the same computer, at the same time, gets you BANNED
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • G_ree_n - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    2 different accounts, running on 2 different computers, at the same time, is just fine

2 different accounts, running on the same computer, at the same time, gets you BANNED

So what's the difference? I mean, what's the big deal with running two accounts on the same computer? Not that I do it (or even could, my computer would start crying and then explode) I'm just wondering what the problem is ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    So what's the difference? I mean, what's the big deal with running two accounts on the same computer? Not that I do it (or even could, my computer would start crying and then explode) I'm just wondering what the problem is ...

The reason is that it would require some manipulation of the game, since if you try to bring up the launcher while the game is running, it tells you that it can't do anything because the game is running.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited August 2009

As said by a GM

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=1406881&postcount=5
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • G_ree_n - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    I wasn't disbelieving that it was against the rules. I was just wondering why.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alexeno - Dreamweaver
    Alexeno - Dreamweaver Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I wasn't disbelieving that it was against the rules. I was just wondering why.

i second this, the only difference is that to do it on one computer, it requires manipulation of the game files (which is bannable regardless), beyond that, both ways are essentially and pretty much exactly the same

playing on two seperate comps achieves the exact same result, but makes it EASIER to play both characters together, because you dont have to click-between and/or alt-tab your windows...

granted, i have two accounts setup for when i get my second comp, so technically i could be causing trouble for myself if they say "no more double-comping", but i'd honestly like to know what the difference is

a person who can double-comp gains a SIGNIFICANT advantage over all other players who can only single-comp, so technically, it's still abusing b:chuckle
  • G_ree_n - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    a person who can double-comp gains a SIGNIFICANT advantage over all other players who can only single-comp, so technically, it's still abusing b:chuckle
    Seriously. I don't even play more then one account at once, I just catshop. Sometimes if I really need money, I do it on both my daughter's and my boyfriend's computers while I play on this account.

It makes me feel like the Goddess of All Nerds b:chuckle to have the game client running on 3 computers with no one else around, but I can make almost 1m cash in just a couple of days with very little extra effort.

I can't even imagine what I could do if I actually tried to form a squad with alts running on those other computers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alexeno - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Seriously. I don't even play more then one account at once, I just catshop. Sometimes if I really need money, I do it on both my daughter's and my boyfriend's computers while I play on this account.

It makes me feel like the Goddess of All Nerds b:chuckle to have the game client running on 3 computers with no one else around, but I can make almost 1m cash in just a couple of days with very little extra effort.

I can't even imagine what I could do if I actually tried to form a squad with alts running on those other computers.

off-topic: btw green, does sanctuary really have a strong need of barbs? or is that purely a joke? (i get that it's at least partly a joke b:chuckle)
  • TameThat - Sanctuary
    TameThat - Sanctuary Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    You are all missing the point, you can run the 2 instance of a game without modifying any game file.

The point is that there is no reason at all. I have pointed out previously that it can be done without modifying anything from the game and Moderator have clearly stated that it was still bannable.
    ~~~ My Guides ~~~

Mystical Tome (h ttp://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=250862)
    AOE Grinding with Venomancer (h ttp://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Guide_to_AOE_Grinding_With_Venomancer)
  • Alexeno - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    You are all missing the point, you can run the 2 instance of a game without modifying any game file.

The point is that there is no reason at all. I have pointed out previously that it can be done without modifying anything from the game and Moderator have clearly stated that it was still bannable.

this makes me even more curious... considering PWE makes no money off people buying a second computer...

elaboration please? (and a link to your other post, so i can review the whole thread out of curiosity.. if possible.. thx tamethat)
  • DarkSniper - Lost City
    DarkSniper - Lost City Posts: 1,830 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I have two accounts because I ran out of space for characters
    The only way to win is to quit. b:bye
  • Frijolero - Sanctuary
    Frijolero - Sanctuary Posts: 820 Arc User
    edited August 2009

If you try to do that with the actual game version from PWI (not private servers or any others 'alt' versions) the game launcher won't let you start another instance of the game.

Some cheating engines, like some bots, requires you to run two games at the same time: one for yourself and another for the character the bot will be controling. I remember another mmorpg I played before had a problem with that, the server was roaming with tanks killin' all while an army of robotic clerics and archers where healing him and DD the mobs/other player he was attacking... not fun and very dissapointing for someone who wants to paly legit.

This is the main reason why I like to play on official servers rather on alterative ones: no cheaters, or so few that you won't be overrun by them ruining your game experience.
    Sliding we go, only fear on our side. To the edge of the wire and we rush with the tide.
    Although I'm still alive, pray to God I survive
    How long on this longest day, 'til we finally make it through.
    - June 6, 1944. The day earth stood still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    If you try to do that with the actual game version from PWI (not private servers or any others 'alt' versions) the game launcher won't let you start another instance of the game.

False. It's very simple to do and requires no modification of any game files whatsoever, nor any third party programs.

Yet, we're still told it's bannable.
  • PReseme - Heavens Tear
    PReseme - Heavens Tear Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    ...the only difference is that to do it on one computer, it requires manipulation of the game files (which is bannable regardless)...

Acually its if you know how to do it all you have to do is change a part of the shortcut code on your desktop shortcute to run mutiple instances of the game. but im not telling how to do it because im not gonna get banned

(ps the shortcut alteration is great if you want to run mutiple instances of Ventrilo b:laugh
    BEdward - Blademasterb :heart
    CEdward - Cleric b:cute
    AReseme - VenoMaster b:mischievous
    PReseme - Archer Retired (sisters toon) b:sweat (to be remade on her own account)
  • G_ree_n - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    off-topic: btw green, does sanctuary really have a strong need of barbs? or is that purely a joke? (i get that it's at least partly a joke b:chuckle)
    Yes, very much. The lvl 3 faction I'm in now has one 70x barb and the lvl 2 faction I was in before that had two, and one was hardly ever on. To get help from the other one, you pretty much had to make an appointment a day or two ahead of time.

It's the same everywhere else too. Most of the BH squads I get invited to have 3 venos, a wizard and/or archer and a BM if we're lucky. If I'm really lucky, there will be another cleric to res me when I pull healing aggro trying to keep the stupid **** BM from wiping out the whole party because despite the prescence of one, two, or even three venos, the "tank" still has to be reminded that I and the other cleric are not invincible and nor do we have unlimited cash to spend on mana charms and that pet pulling is pretty much a necessity.

Sorry to post a ridiculously long, off topic rant, but yes, the number of barbs you see on Sanctuary declines rapidly the higher lvl you get and for pretty valid reasons. At lower lvls, they get ksed by the myriad archers that swarm the server like cockroaches (and the occasional egomaniacal wizard) and at higher lvls, they are seen by their fellow players as "meat shields" and treated accordingly. Low damage dealing, high repair bills and general disrespect make the Barbarian the only class that rates higher then cleric in the "Everybody needs em, but nobody wants to be em" category, at least on Sanctuary.

Ok so, running two clients on the same computer requires a modification of the games code/files? And that's the only reason, otherwise it would be ok? Seems like the devs could come up with a way to make these modifications themselves so it wouldn't violate the TOS, if that's really the only problem ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fireblood - Harshlands
    Fireblood - Harshlands Posts: 1,414 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Only playing on two accounts on the same computer at the same time is ban able
    Quit.
  • truekossy
    edited August 2009
    Ok so, running two clients on the same computer requires a modification of the games code/files? And that's the only reason, otherwise it would be ok? Seems like the devs could come up with a way to make these modifications themselves so it wouldn't violate the TOS, if that's really the only problem ...

It doesn't, nor does it require any third party software.

I do find it amusing, though, how my previous post stating you can run multiple clients without the need to edit anything or use third-party stuff got deleted.
  • Fireblood - Harshlands
    edited August 2009
    truekossy wrote: »
    It doesn't, nor does it require any third party software.

I do find it amusing, though, how my previous post stating you can run multiple clients without the need to edit anything or use third-party stuff got deleted.
    Thats not even my quote b:laugh
    Quit.
  • truekossy
    edited August 2009
    Lmao. Methinks the forums are on strike b:surrender
  • Fireblood - Harshlands
    edited August 2009
    truekossy wrote: »
    Lmao. Methinks the forums are on strike b:surrender
    True dat http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=393461