Increase cooldown on low-cooldown skill

Options
ilystah
ilystah Posts: 59 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Suggestion Box
I don't understand why many skill have such a low cooldown that it don't even make sense for them to even have cooldown at all.

Like a 3sec cooldown on a 15mins buff really matter (all cleric's buff for example). Or a 1sec cooldown on a long channelling skill (such as wizard and cleric healing skill). Or a 1sec cooldown on a strong skill (e.g. undine strike).

On skill that need spark to cast then it make sense to have low cooldown because the Chi requirement act as a semi-cooldown mechanism.

I have played game that have 15sec cooldown on even basic slow skill for wizard and it still work fine. I was not suggesting gush to have 15sec cooldown here though because it is relatively weaker, but cooldown of 3sec is just absurdly short. Anyone can spam gush to kite and kill anything, make the challenge too easy.

Please make cooldown longer on a few selected skill that have low cooldown and no Chi cost so that it makes sense that there exist a cooldown. Those that this suggestion target is buff skill, long channelling skill, and strong skill.
Post edited by ilystah on

Comments

• blackcid4
    blackcid4 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    You hate wizards and clerics?...

NO to increase cooldown, it is crazy...
  • Spinehealer - Sanctuary
    Spinehealer - Sanctuary Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I play a cleric, and im also agenst this.

with a 15 second cooldown on heals, clerics would be useless. this game wouldn't even have clerics or wiz's any more becasue they wouldnt be able to defend themselves. It would be a world of tanks and archers that spam snares and kite, and lazey people would choose venos.

People ask me constantly. Buff plz? buff plz? buff me now!!!b:angry. i usually buff any (non agressive) peopele that ask. in a party of 6, it would take two minutes just to get ready for a fight, and then another two minutes every 30 minutes.

Theres not enough healing skills to afford the 15 second cooldown, especally for low level clerics and high level clerics and DDs. No heal not being cooled down = party wipe b:shocked.

And dont even get me started on offencive spells. Remember in this game, you have to spend coins and spirit to learn a new skill. Clerics mainly level healing skills, because that was what the class was designed to do. At my level, i have one offencive spell over level......................2. if there was a 15 second cooldown on plume shot, then i'd barely be level 10, because of all the times ive died not being able to heal myself or dammage the enemy.
    b:angryb:angry
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    i think your a frustrated PVP player losing to wizzes and clerics now QQing about it? Just don't bother PVPing them since they are "overpowered" this have got to be PVP based right here. Very unwise, especially when you only think about PVP and forgot the benefits of the class you chose.

Some clerics that i found that take too long to heal (either lag or they just sucked) they end up killing themselves or hurting squads. So why would clerics be helpful at all? is good in that clerics and wizards stay they way they are, they shouldn't be nerfed. Think about PVE, that helps you level and gain money.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • ilystah
    edited August 2009
    Options
    For all those who think I lose to wizard and crying about it, you are wrong. I'm a wizard myself, and I find it too easy for the wizard to spam gush all the way to kill any mobs because they have the slow effect and yet small cooldown too.

And no, I do not say all skill with low cooldown should have increased cooldown. I was refering to a specific few groups of skill, but the thread title is not long enough to explain it all so I explain in my opening post, please read it before replying. I already give argument that counter yours in the opening post too.

It would be too long to list all class skill here that I want increased cooldown, so those skill belong to magic class I would pay attention to first here because other 3 non magic class have less skill that need increased cooldown.
    These skill are those I target specifically for the 3 magic class:
    Bramble Guard: something that last 10mins yet have 1 sec cooldown don't make sense. At least make it match the cooldown of Purge to make the cooldown actually have a purpose (so 120sec at level 1 and 30 sec at level 10 cooldown).
    Vanguard Spirit/Magic Shell/Celestial Guardian's Seal/Spirit's Gift: all 30mins duration but an insignificant cooldown of 1sec, again make it at least match Purge's cooldown.
    Greater Protective Aura/Aegis Spirit/Exalted Renewal/Arcane Empowerment: 1hour buff with only 5sec cooldown, the cooldown is really too significant. Being a AOE buff, it make sense to not just match it with Purge's cooldown, but make it slower than Purge. I would say these should have 2x Purge's cooldown.
    Blessing of the Purehearted: quite an useless skill but it is easily seens that it is meant to be used in very limited situation. It is an inefficient heal that have long channelling time, but it heal instantly the most, so the only time you need to use it is to cast it pre-emptively to deal with 2 strong attack that you know coming when you already stack 5 ironheart on, and when well spring surge is not enough to deal with it. In any case, it is essentially an emergency heal, so it should have long cooldown, such as 1mins.
    Great Cyclone/Gush: a great slow effect yet have only 3 sec cooldown, which means you can keep target under slow permanently and kite it indefinitely. Should at least make it have cooldown longer than the effect duration, so I suggest 10sec.
    Puroshell/Glacial Embrace/Stone Barrier: same 15mins effect with an insignificant cooldown. However these have Chi cost so the cooldown can be less than Purge, but still have to be significant. 1/2 Purge cooldown seems reasonable.
    The Dragon's Breath: too low cooldown for a zhen skill that will almost always last more than 15sec. Because it cost only 1 spark I suggest it have more cooldown than cleric's, so 1min cooldown.
    Frostblade: 3sec cooldown for a skill that last 15mins at least is too insignificant. Because this buff is less significant compare to cleric's the cooldown can be lower than Purge, so 1/2 Purge's cooldown seems fair.
    Undine Strike: strong yet too spammable. The effect is 12sec so it should have more cooldown than 12sec. I suggest 15sec.
  • Hycinth - Dreamweaver
    Hycinth - Dreamweaver Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Interesting idea but not one I like personally. As for the Bramble, most other classes have buffs to give that last a lot longer. Since ours only lasts such a short time, the cool down is fine since I usually have to use it 3-4 times in a fb or against harder hitting mobs. Not only that but some of the harder hitting skills I have are a bit of a pain BECAUSE of the long cool down. There are limits to each class as well plus sides. If wizzards had longer cool downs or clerics, you would be in bad shape.
    I don't want this to come off as rude but clerics and wizzys are 2 of the softer classes. (i play a wiz and cleric as alts so dont get mad) So if they had longer cool down on thier skills, there really wouldn't be any.

Also as you get higher and fight more stuff that wants to kill you, higher cool downs would put a LOT of people on hold for lvling.

Pretty much all in all, if you don't like the short cool down on some skills either A.) Find a different class. B.)Use your longer cool down skills first or C.) Be glad you've lived this long on the game or find another way to occupy your time.
  • Solaere - Sanctuary
    Solaere - Sanctuary Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Regarding all the buffs, I see little point in any cooldown. It's either just an inconvenience or completely moot.

Buffs are something you do prior to combat (even if you're caught off guard, I doubt you're going to waste time buffing yourself before fighting back ... and even if you did, the cooldown wouldn't matter, since you'd only be casting it once). So I really don't see the cooldown on buffs serving any real purpose - all it would do is make it more time consuming (before combat) to buff everyone in your squad. As for squad buffs, there's no reason to recast until it's about to wear off, so you wouldn't even notice an increased cooldown.

As for Gush/Cyclone - Kiting isn't entirely safe (can aggro another mob, or the slow affect fails), so these aren't the amazing 'invulnerability' skills you seem to be making them out to be. That said, I have played both Wizard (~lvl45) and Cleric(~lvl55), and kited an Increased Life mob without taking a single hit ... but that's not to say I've been able to do that every time.

Personally, I wouldn't see a huge impact in increasing cooldown. Cleric's can spam Plume Shot, Wizards can alternate between Pyro and Stone Rain. It would make it impossible to effectively kite, but frankly I rarely did that anyway - I prefered to hold my ground and kill them quickly. It would make certain mobs (like Increased Life) harder to take on solo, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Bottom line, I'd be fine with it either way, but don't really see a need for it - I don't think it's overpowered the way it is, and as the saying goes - if it aint broke, don't fix it. A lot of players already find it hard to play Wizard/Cleric, and this could lead to even less players taking them.

(For the record, I'm strictly a PvE player, so can't comment on impact to PvP. And for the other skills you mentioned, I've never used them so can't comment on those either).
  • Mavado - Harshlands
    Mavado - Harshlands Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Other than the fact that you're just wining too much form my tastes..... i really don't understand why you want to shorten the cooldown of buffs..... it's not like you're going to be spamming them, lengthening their cooldown does absolutely nothing other than giving the developers a little more work :P And as other people have said, buffs aren't always for you, so giving bramble and other buffs long cooldowns would make buffing your party a real annoyance....
    IMO your suggestion is sorta pointless for the most part.
    >_< I'm a wizard in disguise... you know like the old cartoon... except with less robots and more fire/ice/rocks....
  • SPC_Senge - Dreamweaver
    SPC_Senge - Dreamweaver Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    What I need FASTER cooldown on is Alecrity of Beast. Flesh Ream eats up my chi too quickly and I always have MP thanks to Focus Powder, so if the cooldown on that skill decreases I'll be a better tank. So what your trying to do is make the game worse. You suck.

ಠ_ಠೊ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Antlers - Heavens Tear
    Antlers - Heavens Tear Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Think of them as global cooldowns... without it people could just press 1 macro and do everything in 1 button.
  • ilystah
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Regarding attack skill, I find these class have enough attacking skill that they have no reason to spam a single skill. If the cooldown is short as it is now they will just spam the most efficient skill all the time, instead of making choice. Short cooldown should be applicable to only skill that is inferior to attacking that long cooldown skill but come on: gush is better than pyro but it have same cooldown; undine strike is strong yet have shorter cooldown than pyro.
    Regarding Bramble Guard: adding cooldown add more to the challenge. Hardly I see situation when the whole party need to be buffed anyway, if anything barb is the only one that want the buff, because other class want to lose aggro as much as possible.
    Regarding buff: buff can be purged, which make in TW situation the buff expected time is short enough that cooldown can be a problem, that is why I suggest making cooldown longer to balance it with purge. I already don't see the point of having some buff with 3sec cooldown and some with 5sec cooldown, as if the 2sec difference will means anything when the buff is 15mins and purge is 25sec at least. Increase it won't make a lot of different in PvE: you take a bit more time to start a run but it is minor annoyance at most; while during the run party member will expire buff at different time so you never have to buff all of them at once.
  • Floyd - Heavens Tear
    Floyd - Heavens Tear Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    i love the fast cooldown rate lol i need my skills to save myself or my other team mates
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] shed no tears, show no fear
  • Hycinth - Dreamweaver
    Hycinth - Dreamweaver Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    To the bramble and only a barb wanting it.: Even if the barb is the only one I bramble, it does NOT mean that others still can't take aggro on accident. Thus, I bramble everyone in party except clerics (they get cranky at times) and some archers unless they ask. Cause if by some chance they do take it, it at least helps keep them alive a lil longer.

And in all honesty, I find that having a bm makes for a better run. This isnt ment to diss the barbs but when I can steal aggro from a guy 4 or so lvls higher then me, it's never good. And usually it happens with one of my weaker skills and i don't use sparks often, if at all unless its on a boss and who ever is tanking has a fair lead.

And for spamming some skills, Some skills are longer, some are shorter, we all know this. But the skills that are "spammed" are usually fillers while the others are in cool down.
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that you are a wizard yourself. I get the feeling that you are more of a BM or something.
    Also it is not too easy to just gush spam and kite ever go up against taurox marksmen as an arcane wizard? they group aggro and you have be extremely careful about distances since they take like 1/4 of your life per hit b:shocked
    or maybe i'm just extra squishy because im a magichamster~b:cry
    Also I suspect the 1 sec cooldown on buffs which you see as "useless" is perfectly fine the way it is.
    also increasing cooldown times on cleric buffs would most likely effectively kill out the majority of the cleric population since it would take FOREVER~ to completely buff a squad.
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]