On the Quest 'The Perfect Wear'

Fubatsu - Heavens Tear
Fubatsu - Heavens Tear Posts: 37 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
I considered putting this quest into the Suggestion Box, considering this is mostly aimed at the GMs and Devs, but it does deal directly with this particular quest, so I decided to put it here. I have some questions about the quest 'The Perect Wear', not how it's done, but why it is the way it is.

Firstly, why is i ta Level 45 quest? It seems to me that a single Level 45 character, no matter how well equiped, is qualified to deal with the dangers of Rook's Valley alone.

Secondly, why aren't the drops (Heavenwear Fragments) not shared among party members the way most quest items are? Only the person who hits the Tauroc Commander last has even a chance to get the drop, so it says in the guide, making it only one of two quests I'm familiar with that work this way, or similarly. It would seem to me that much of hte game is designed, and rightfully so, to promote group play and cooperation, but this quest punishes for it. It just seems antithetical to the rest of the game.

So, what I'd like is for the devs to take a long hard look at this quest, and think about whether it really sits in with their grand vision for the game. If, for some reason, it is exactly the way it should be, it'd be nice to hear back with some statement as to why it should be this way.
Post edited by Fubatsu - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Waterfal - Sanctuary
    Waterfal - Sanctuary Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    well, I did it b:victory
    on lvl 45 :) *oke I'm a veno I hide behind a giant wall of meat, which kept on almost dying*
    but it is possible though it is hard.
    yeah the drop rate sucks and all, I agree with you about that.
    but you can always wait with the quest till you're about lvl 50, since you get to kill those commanders again then ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the awesome sig :3

Characters:
    waterfal - lvl 90 demon ferrari veno
    Hazumi_chan - lvl 9x sage seeker
  • Fubatsu - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    Well, yeah, a Veno with a Herc stands a much better chance than the rest of us, no doubt, but I think the fact still remains that the majority of classes don't stand much of a reasonable chance of completing the quest at the level at which it was given. I've completed it with two characters already, and in both cases, I had to wait, as you suggested, till level 50 or later, to do it. And that makes more sense, considering you're fighting monsters that are that level, why not just give the quest at level 50, or 51? Yes, it's awesome f, by some miracle you can complete it at level 45, but for the vast majority of us, I just don't think it's going to happen.
  • Belligero - Sanctuary
    Belligero - Sanctuary Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    We all went through that quest and we all dealt with it. Yes, it's a horrible quest, but what can ya say? I wouldn't want it to change.

Besides, why does a level 72 care?
    Belligero
  • device
    device Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    We all went through that quest and we all dealt with it. Yes, it's a horrible quest, but what can ya say? I wouldn't want it to change.

Besides, why does a level 72 care?

Probably to spare all the soon-to-be 45's from going what the ones that did it had to go through? b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Chobsi - Heavens Tear
    Chobsi - Heavens Tear Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Well, yeah, a Veno with a Herc.
    I did it at level 45 using a a level 41 debuffing pet with bad defenses because I wanted to level it up. It's not only a herc that can make this quest work
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Chobsi the only thing your good at is making your character look good, otherwise your fail"
    "Did that 95 BM just kill himself to your Herc? Mmm..Yep"
    "Oh that thing I thought was a statue, it 1 shot me, switch to your cleric please"
    "So that Hercules guy from the disney movie really aged well.."
    ~Chobsi b:cute
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Isn't that the quest that THEN asks you to give up 10 compound thread and 10 leather (roughly 60k in mats) for a pittance in coin and a fraction the exp reward cs gives?

That one goes in the trash :/ along with that elemental essence quest and The Punishment....
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Did it pre-herc. Great practice for learning to use my pets well.

And the leather/thread is a different quest. I had a stupid amount of leather by the point I got the quest, but it wasn't until I hit the scrunchkins quest that something gave me any thread.
  • Fubatsu - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    Did it pre-herc. Great practice for learning to use my pets well.

And the leather/thread is a different quest. I had a stupid amount of leather by the point I got the quest, but it wasn't until I hit the scrunchkins quest that something gave me any thread.

"The Perfect Wear" does require Leather and Compound Thread, 10 of each.

Even if Venos can do it, with or without legendary pets, it still seems to me that the quest is fundamentally flawed, and I don't believe in just leaving somethign alone simply because it is barely viable. If it's not good, improve it. Why do I care? I have alts, and I can sympathize with younger characters that heave to deal with that hellish quest.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Well, you never HAVE to do it. I think it's quite nice to have a few quests that you do later.

Plus, of course, by that level you really ought to be teaming up.
  • Jolanar - Dreamweaver
    Jolanar - Dreamweaver Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Being relatively new at this game and pretty much just completeing this quest I did do it solo. I'm a cleric and while it took a considerable amount of pots and IHB I was able to complete it (Ihated it and it took forever though). Now to be completely honest I was going to trash the quest but I sort of glad I didn't. Coz now I know what the limits of my character are.

Alternately you could go with as a team in the sense of have at least a cleric with you and have him heal while you tank but don't join a squad theat would get you around the solo aspect of the quest.
  • Fubatsu - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    Well, you never HAVE to do it. I think it's quite nice to have a few quests that you do later.

Plus, of course, by that level you really ought to be teaming up.

I agree wholeheartedly on the point of teaming up, but then 'The Perfect Wear' punishes you for teaming up.
  • Fubatsu - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    Being relatively new at this game and pretty much just completeing this quest I did do it solo. I'm a cleric and while it took a considerable amount of pots and IHB I was able to complete it (Ihated it and it took forever though). Now to be completely honest I was going to trash the quest but I sort of glad I didn't. Coz now I know what the limits of my character are.

Alternately you could go with as a team in the sense of have at least a cleric with you and have him heal while you tank but don't join a squad theat would get you around the solo aspect of the quest.

The Cleric idea is a good one, and one I was already familiar ith. As I mentioned in the beginning, I don't need advice as to how to do this quest, but I'd like a GM to give some comment as to why it is the way it is.

Few quests in this game can be said to be 'enjoyable' by their nature. As a player, you expect when you get a quest that you stand a reasonable chacne of accomplishing it, if not alone then with one or two of your friends. You expect that it will be apppropriate for the level at which it was given, and that the rewards will be relatively proportional to the hardships you must endure. I believe that these expectations are reasonable, adn by this standard, this quest, and some others seem particularly poorly designed.

Many of you, on some level or other, seem to agree with me on this point. So, do you think this quest has to be the way that it is, or do you think it could be tweaked to be more reasonable?

What if, for example, it was given at Level 50, instead of Level 45. Keep in mind that at Level 45, you should be in the Sumor Camp region fighting Feligar Bowmen, Senile Wheezeblooms and the like. It's not until you are around Level 50 that you are expected to go to Arrowhead Manor and the Rooks' Valley area.

Also, what if the quest was tweaked, or in this case reverted back to the norm, in which quest items were given to every party member, instead of just the party member that made the last hit? As a previous poster pointed out, by this time in the game, most players should seriously be considering partnering up with other players on a regular basis. Quests shouldn't be punishing them for doing so, they should be encouraging it.

So, when responding, just keep in mind that I don't need help with this quest, I've completeed it with two characters, and am working on a third. I just want to draw some attention to this, and other quests that detract from one's ability to enjoy the game, and I think that's exactly what this quest does.
  • Queelen - Lost City
    Queelen - Lost City Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Yes, I definietly remember that one particular quest. I had no Herc/Nix (and with such coins rates I will never have) and had to fight with not just the other mobs around those Taurocs but the players as well, who did the same quest. It's a little anyoying that you can't team up on some quests, it would be so much better if I could have helped those guys out there and vica versa.

I did it, yes, but agree that they should make it a higher level quest or change it to a squad accepting one. I used Sheila, my pretty big Forest Hornet (comes on a higher level, but same family as Sawfly) as a tank and did great with it, except the few times I wasn't paying attention and it got stuck on the terrain. But even as a Veno (with high magic attacks), it took almost an hour, farming those damn bulls for the fragments. I wouldn't say it was the fun time of my life. :P
    This is the dark present, this is who I am,
    Long forgotten dead, deep in a cold cavern.
    Errant who got swallowed by volatile time,
    Fallen angel on the brink of endless abyss.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Arbari - Heavens Tear
    Arbari - Heavens Tear Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I just started this quest, and I have to say, as a mage, this quest is totally going to burn my spirit charm out, to say the least. The reward is really disappointing as well, especially since killing the taurocs is hard enough, but we have to gather materials too. I agree that something should be done to regulate the quest with its difficulty.
  • tsunamirai
    tsunamirai Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I would say that this quest helps teach players how to grind. It says "hey, stuff your own level isn't that bad, go hit something 5 levels higher, and see how bad that is," you know? Obviously they wanted it to be soloed because of the last hit condition, and you don't really grind with a squad unless it's zhen. It's simply a different style of play, and I appreciate it.