Should I use the Genie?

Keadosan - Heavens Tear
Keadosan - Heavens Tear Posts: 5 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Barbarian
When they first came out I was really excited about the Genies....but now I hate them. I'm wondering, do the Genies have enough of an effect that I should go out of my way to get one and work on it? For more than just an XP sucker so I get more spirit.
Post edited by Keadosan - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Belligero - Sanctuary
    Belligero - Sanctuary Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    They are totally worth the effort if you put your time into it. They can also save you from numerous deaths and makes grinding or questing so much easier.

But whether you choose to utilize them or not is up to you. I suggest to at least get level 1 Tree of Protection on your genie.
    Belligero
  • device
    device Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    They are totally worth the effort if you put your time into it. They can also save you from numerous deaths and makes grinding or questing so much easier.

But whether you choose to utilize them or not is up to you. I suggest to at least get level 1 Tree of Protection on your genie.

I agree.
    Tree Of Protection makes Grinding/Questing 100x easier b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    At level 12, no, don't get genies. They're far too expensive for people that level to maintain, especially if you use it for grinding. And there won't be enough exp/sp left over to infuse. Wait until lvl 60+ and starting to run instances to get genies.
  • device
    device Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    At level 12, no, don't get genies. They're far too expensive for people that level to maintain, especially if you use it for grinding. And there won't be enough exp/sp left over to infuse. Wait until lvl 60+ and starting to run instances to get genies.

Or, be like me and get 2 level 40+ with ~70k spirit each, pump a genie to approx 30-35 (when you start running low on quests), and make a new one b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    At lower levels, just buy a "fail-genie" for cheap. People are always looking to unload ones that have ended up with 1/10, 3/20, etc... lucky points. You can often find ones that people have already filled with Chi for no extra cost.

Then give it Tree of Protection lvl. 1 for the cheap healing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    get a genie... best to start with exp sink as the genie being same as your LVL. It is best to start from scratch though, LVL2-3 is the best time to get. You may level a bit slower but if u let them leech your exp and keep them same LVL as you, you have tons of spare SP.

Also like the others said, tree of protection is a no brainer, if you can manage to survive at least 1 min (in AOE as well), your basically in control with that situation of combat (PVE or PVP)

best to buy one at LVL40 if u don't have. Don't buy no genie at your level if u don't got a char any higher (at least LVL40). My advice XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Pnut - Lost City
    Pnut - Lost City Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    When they first came out I was really excited about the Genies....but now I hate them. I'm wondering, do the Genies have enough of an effect that I should go out of my way to get one and work on it? For more than just an XP sucker so I get more spirit.

no they are useless genies are all hype don't blow your exp or spirit on such worthless things.
    "when i get about 10m

gonna restat to AA and hop into a TW in 90 robes... :D" - Stickygreen lvl 93 WB Heavens Tear
  • Shredclaw - Sanctuary
    Shredclaw - Sanctuary Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I used to use my genie for AoE, but since I got slam, I haven't used it at all. In fact, I didn't use it for about 2 weeks even before I got slam. It's just been floating around my head for the past couple weeks, and I haven't gotten around to sellin it yet. Btw, lvl 17 genie with 4 fire and 1 met aff, and 8/10 lucky points for sale.
    I used to wonder why I would have these scary dreams every month. About the wolf, who kept running through town. And as I wondered, I also thought about how I couldn't remember having those dreams before being bitten by this very big dog...

But now I know the truth.
    And I am not afraid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Werebeasts - Sanctuary
    Werebeasts - Sanctuary Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I used to use my genie for AoE, but since I got slam, I haven't used it at all. In fact, I didn't use it for about 2 weeks even before I got slam. It's just been floating around my head for the past couple weeks, and I haven't gotten around to sellin it yet. Btw, lvl 17 genie with 4 fire and 1 met aff, and 8/10 lucky points for sale.

you should get tree of protect makes aoe grinding that much more awsome
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Well I love my genie.

I've got ToP, but dont use it as much because of charm ticks.
    I use my genie as a second interrupt (lightning chaser)
    I use it for as a chi pot (cloud eruption)
    I use it to kill faster (impact, at lvl1 10% pdef reduction for 10secs and it stacks with devour)
    Used to use it as a second invoke (solid shield) until they nerfed the skill.

I would say level your genie after 70s when you start having SP to spare. Though if you plan on leveling multiple genies, better start leveling at lower levels.
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    no they are useless genies are all hype don't blow your exp or spirit on such worthless things.

b:laugh says the LVL100.... genies may leech, ofc it would make people frustrated because they didn't start with genies. But have you tried the skills for the genie? I "blown" my exp but yet, happy about the high, a lot of my skills are upgraded to the highest LVL (close xD) I was really sluggish LVLing with genie but i grind faster with the genie leeching exp whether with genie skills or not I grind faster while having such nice HP (4.6k at LVL40 b:chuckle)

So I disagree with you
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Kagaro - Dreamweaver
    Kagaro - Dreamweaver Posts: 299 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I dont know why so many people say not to train genies early on. I personally have no problem grinding for extra experience, after my genie sucks up some I got from quests. Let me put it this way. I always keep my genie the same level as me, and she's far stronger than I am. If I do 100 damage on a mob, she does 300+. So yes, train your genie as early as you can, as it gives you an extra edge in combat.

The buffs are great as well. They don't last long, but if your fleeing from a mob that is too strong, or if your attack needs a boost, they come in handy if you use them right. Overall, best investment with your exp you can make. If they could just attack on their own they would be far superior to Venomancer pets.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]