Pulling really THAT hard??

Options
Ritsukii - Heavens Tear
Ritsukii - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Venomancer
so i have a lvl 76 veno...

during TT or Fbs i normally have to pull. according to me no one has ever complained about my pulls. i actually hear good things about my pull "love you! nice pulls" and i always say for the hell of it "its pro veno pull *wink*"...

anyways... now that im playing an archer, ALL the venos i have met(from lvl 1-60) (so far) seems like they SUCK at pulling! always get the squad killed! two or even ALL mobs come running at us.

my question is, is it really THAT hard to pull? u call, order it to attack a mob, pet takes one hit, stow, and i run my **** behind the tank.( i hate doing 20 20 20, have headache..) anyways..
Post edited by Ritsukii - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    What you get for leveling with Dailies. There are many ways to lure.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Basic pulling is, as you say, pretty easy.

There's subtleties, but the basics are easy.

But... many veno's just never get taught, I guess. Never practice it, certainly.
  • Xymantha - Dreamweaver
    Xymantha - Dreamweaver Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    i actually never knew how to pull till I was in my 30's - didnt know it was possible. I thought the whole mob would come at me if i stowed my pet. And still others I have had to correct on their methodology now that I know. Some people seem to think that "stow your pet" mean to "press follow mode"b:angry
    I'm a man
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Options
    i actually never knew how to pull till I was in my 30's - didnt know it was possible. I thought the whole mob would come at me if i stowed my pet. And still others I have had to correct on their methodology now that I know. Some people seem to think that "stow your pet" mean to "press follow mode"b:angry

That's true too, it requires a bit of trust the first time you try it that the person telling you how to do it isn't just having an elaborate joke at your expense.

And yes, "Put your pet away" and "Bring your pet back" are confusingly similar.
  • Waterfal - Sanctuary
    Waterfal - Sanctuary Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I too thought I had to press follow on my pet untill in my lvl 30b:surrender
    did it on normal mobs (never in fb *lucky lucky*) found out it didn't really work xD
    checked the forum, and taadaa xD
    hea! that works b:chuckle

and no.. pulling really isn't that hard ^^ especially not when u have summer sprint on and someone who can grab the agro :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the awesome sig :3

Characters:
    waterfal - lvl 90 demon ferrari veno
    Hazumi_chan - lvl 9x sage seeker
  • Duchess - Dreamweaver
    Duchess - Dreamweaver Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I've found that most venos problems with luring falls under one of the following:

1. veno really dont know how to lure at all, which means watch out for when all the mobs come running at you. b:shocked

2. veno send the pet in & put him on "follow mode" (which someone alrdy pointed out), also means watch out & run your **** off to stay alive.

3. veno send a pet w/ bramble on (ie:herc) into the mobs & then stow it, also means run your **** off b/c they just pulled everything there.

4. veno send the pet in & it doesnt actually hit the mob, b/c they stowed it to quickly. this 1 can have mixed results, sometimes all the mobs come at you, others just the one, or none come at all.

5. veno send the pet in & it dies, this also has mixed results, sometimes all will come, sometimes just the 1, or none at all.

6. & last but not least, veno sends pet in & stows properly, however the veno is to close or doesnt run back far enough to get the mob far enough away from the others. thus when the tank/dd/cleric/whoever goes to catch it they also get aggro of all the other mobs bring them to the squad.

All these situations can be avoided with time & practice on the part of the veno. But even then people still make mistakes.

b:chuckle Like when I was pulling Wurlord in tt2-1. We were killing him for the 3rd-4th time & our cleric had dead so was coming back from town. I was playing around dueling the barb with my herc & all his pet skills on when the cleric came back. So I'm like ok lets do this, I find Wurlord & send my herc in. They all hit him like usual, I stow my herc & run back. I turn around to make sure barb has boss only to see like 7-8 different ones coming at the squad. Thats when I realized that my herc brambled them all. Needless to say it was a full party wipe. b:surrenderb:embarrass
    "I'm bi-curious! And even that's okay, becase if I'm bi-curious and I'm somehow made from God, then I figure God might be a little bi-curious himself!" Words of wisdom from South Park. Letting everyone know its okay to be 'A Little Bi-Curious' b:mischievous

=^.^=ɷ I'm a lucky cat b:cute
  • Arshies - Sanctuary
    Arshies - Sanctuary Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    anyways... now that im playing an archer, ALL the venos i have met(from lvl 1-60) (so far) seems like they SUCK at pulling! always get the squad killed! two or even ALL mobs come running at us.

Perhaps.........

1) Herc luring with reflect
    2) press *follow* instead of *stow*
    3) short range genie/veno skills when many mobs are around

As an experienced veno u can ask the veno if she know lure/pull, to prevent die.

Is not difficult to learn but some venos didnt know how to do it especially if they ever have needed luring or have runned fb's with barb's doing all the work........... someday must be the first <.<

I learned since long time ago on my low levels watching other veno do it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Arshies - Sanctuary
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    Alyyy - Sanctuary Posts: 3,165 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    b:chuckleshame on you all i know how to lure and u dont? shame on you twiceb:chuckle
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Waterfal - Sanctuary
    Waterfal - Sanctuary Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    another thing... I just remebered.
    you are to far away from the mob you're trying to lure.
    not really like partywipe... but just annoying.. -.-
    when u stow your pet the mob is just looking around, and gets that yellow self healing thingy around him -.-
    and lure failed -.-

EDIT:

just did fb 39, oke, I get to lure one of those mobs that explode when you kill them.
    I lure 1!!!! as I'm suposed to...
    bm runs right into the other 4 exploding mobs and guides them right to the rest of the party....
    thanks to the 2 clerics and the barbarian we're still alive...
    I hate those bm's who **** up my lures...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the awesome sig :3

Characters:
    waterfal - lvl 90 demon ferrari veno
    Hazumi_chan - lvl 9x sage seeker
  • Ritsukii - Heavens Tear
    Ritsukii - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    talking about bms.. i hate those thinking they're all that resulting is partywipe. i have times when i lure one and bm runs in, bringing back the four he lured and the one i lure = 5 STRONG mobs = we all die.
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Yes there are several mid level venos who haven't learned how to pull mobs but archers still cause more squad wipes some being 80+
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • tweakz
    edited August 2009
    Options
    The real simple way: Tame Pet. - Even worked on 2 Eden bosses so far (one by accident -lol).
  • Kunomi - Heavens Tear
    Kunomi - Heavens Tear Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    3. veno send a pet w/ bramble on (ie:herc) into the mobs & then stow it, also means run your **** off b/c they just pulled everything there.
    Since I've never had a herc I wanna ask ... How do you pull with it? You said that all the mobs will come running at you. So is there a way to remove the herc's buff or something? b:lipcurl

Anyways XD ... How can you SUCK AT LURING anyways?! I mean, it's so damn easy. b:laugh But it's weird ... I've seen alot of other veno's pull and almost all of them suck at it b:faint
  • turtlewax
    turtlewax Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I think you can remove the buff by stowing the per away and then calling it - before the lure.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Yup, or put it away, do the lure with a more suitable pet, and get the herc back out when you stow the lure-pet.
  • Zetarana - Heavens Tear
    Zetarana - Heavens Tear Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    What I recommend is to practice pulling, I used the Taurox Enthusiasts to practice on.

Try pulling one then try pulling one from far away, through a couple others, till you feel comfortable with the timing of send, recall, re-summon, attack.

I think Herc Skills are really only needed for the bosses and tanking a large group o mobs.

Personally I wouldn't use a Herc for pulling... For aggroing a bunch and tanking them all, sure.
    Zetarana - Arcane Veno
    Nephandus - Arcane Wizard
    Faction: Nocturne
  • tweakz
    edited August 2009
    Options
    turtlewax wrote: »
    I think you can remove the buff by stowing the per away and then calling it - before the lure.

Yep, but then you're left with a Herc that needs healing and buffs at the same time. Consider the Armored Bear for luring with it's default skills of Tough, Threaten and Bash. Tough cuts damage in half just long enough to lure. Bash gives them a good hit (also needed for aggro), and Threaten makes them safer for you when they come at you (if a physical mob). The Bear is also ~.5m/s faster than the Herc. I find the Bear to be very useful on the Celestial Stings and other cactos in Eden that aren't as safely lured with Tame Pet. Combining this with Bramble Hood and the damage is extremely low per hit.
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    actually a "good" veno can lure any of those ways and not have anyone get hit. its a matter of knowing the pet, knowing the mob(s), positioning, and timing.

in parties tho i really hate being the lure, because i unsummon, i run behind the tank.. tank either just sits there saying DUH or cant seem to grab the mobs aggro.

personally i prefer to drag (hit follow) when possible, because i dont trust others to catch the mob or boss before i get hit, they never do, and i either die or waste charm.
  • tweakz
    edited August 2009
    Options
    actually a "good" veno can lure any of those ways and not have anyone get hit. its a matter of knowing the pet, knowing the mob(s), positioning, and timing.

Boo to elitism! What do you do to lure the Dranite Priestess, and Cactopod around Phlebo in Eden? I've cleared around the base of the hill then did Tame Pet -> Jump off, have Herc grab aggro, then Herc follows me along down path bringing mob with it. Seems like a lot to go through to avoid being hit and being a "good" veno. I'd rather just use Bramble Hood -> Tame Pet and take a hit.
    in parties tho i really hate being the lure, because i unsummon, i run behind the tank.. tank either just sits there saying DUH or cant seem to grab the mobs aggro.

But doesn't a "good" veno have a pet out to take aggro?
    personally i prefer to drag (hit follow) when possible, because i dont trust others to catch the mob or boss before i get hit, they never do, and i either die or waste charm.

There's an antelope that appears out of nowhere at times in the Thousand Year Spirit area. You might have a suprise catch doing that all the time. There are many many ways to lure, and each has it's ideal conditions for use. There are very few occasions where I rely on a Barb to catch.
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I've never found luring to be that hard, using the unsummon method, but I also have found that there is a genie skill that Venos could use to make it much easier on them. It's the Earth 7 skill "Earth Strand". It's an instant ranged Freeze you can even use while resummoning your pet. It's most effective on Melee mobs, but you can use it on others as well. I'm always helping other Venos in the party with it, because usually, someone else is playing catch. Gives the barb, or me, since I'd rather have another Veno lure when I'm using my Herc, a couple more seconds to react and grab the mob before the pulling Veno becomes lunch.
  • NhiNhanh - Lost City
    NhiNhanh - Lost City Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    if you lure properly, you have enough time to resummon your herc, rebuff it, and tell it to atk, and still not get hit by the mob u lure ^_^

a lot of time when people lure, they just get close, lure, stow, and run... the distance needed to tell pet to atk, and the distance between you and your pet before it teleport back to you is different.
    Say you need:
    |
    | in order to tell pet to atk at max range
    |
    | << this might be the distance u can be between you and your pet before it teleport back to you...

so when u send a pet in... u can start running back to gain a bit more distance... wait for pet to hit once, then stow the pet, and immediately resummon it... all that before the mob gets to you... if you are scared that your herc might die during the lure.. u can use another pet to lure, and use ur herc as the 2nd summon pet ^_^ just need a bit of practice to know how far u can be before ur pet self-teleport back to you ^_^ oh and dont forget if you need to, there's always bramble hood you can use to stall some time... and skill 79 too ^_^
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »
    But doesn't a "good" veno have a pet out to take aggro?

Sure. But some monsters run STUPIDLY fast. And have range. There's really nothing that you can do to stop, say, skeleton archers, or things with increased movement speed, from getting in one hit before your new pet hits them.

I much prefer a trusted barbarian though.
  • Foxx - Heavens Tear
    Foxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    In any pick up group of random strangers, well over 50% of the people will suck.
    Its the same in any MMO.

Best advice to avoiding bad players is to make a guild group and play with them regularly.

And yes, pulling is easy mostly. Some require a little working out like phlebo or wurlord. People who mess up basic pulls in fb's or tt's either dont know how to pull, or made simple mistake (like hitting the wrong button). It happens to all of us at times.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Wurlurd? We've just been pulling his archers away before taking him on. What's special about pulling him?