admittedly noobish questions

rst777
rst777 Posts: 73 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Cleric
i am kind of confused on a couple of things, i really should know this by now but i dont. so please enlighten me, if you dont mind.
when it comes to your weapon, is damage from plume shot, cyclone... based on the weapons phys attack stat or the magic attack stat?
and as far as the bonuses a weapon may have, what is the difference between "magic attack +" and "magic +". magic attack + is a higher number like 16, and magic+ is usually like +3, so how much magic attack+ = magic+.
which makes a difference towards heal spells?
any other little bits that might help with this would be great.
Post edited by rst777 on

Comments

• FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Damage from your spells, even the one that deal physical damage, is based on the magic attack stat.

1 magic = about 9.5 magic attack for a cleric.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • rst777
    edited August 2009
    thank you. that is exactly what i needed.
  • Lennson - Heavens Tear
    Lennson - Heavens Tear Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    What has been stated is not really true so I will try to clarify but...

***WARNING INVOLVES MATH***

I will use plume shot level 1 as an example to show how the damage for spells computes.

This is what the spell discription says:

Focus your psychic energy to form sharp quill arrows to attack the
    enemy. Inflicts physical damage equal to your base magic attack plus 55% of weapon damage plus 37.7.

The spell's raw damage is built on three numbers which are then added.

Base Magic Attack

( 1 + ( MAG / 100 ) ) * ( LVL + EQP )

Where,
    MAG is the number of stat points in magic
    LVL is your current level
    EQP is the sum total of all magic attack provided by your gear (wep, rings, gems, etc.)

55% of weapon damage

.55 * wepMagDmg

Where,
    wepMagDmg is your weapon's magic attack

Spell's Damage Added

So in the end Plume Shot level 1 does:
    Damage = ( 1 + ( MAG / 100 ) ) * ( LVL + EQP ) + .55 * wepMagDmg + 37.7

If this is confusing don't bother trying to undestand the game machanics and do what ever seems to works.
  • Frijolero - Sanctuary
    Frijolero - Sanctuary Posts: 820 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    The bonus magic +X is added to your character stats. If you equip the item with the bonus you'll see your Mag stat will increase in X and the numbers turn green. There is a lot of advantages on using magic +X equipment: more damage output, faster mag regen and more MP avaiable on your MP pool.

The magic attack +X bonus only affects when you attack/heal by adding X to your attack while calculating damage/heal. However, I'm not sure if the bonus given can make you go above the maximum damage listed on your weapon since there is a maximun mag/phys attack +X bonus also
    Sliding we go, only fear on our side. To the edge of the wire and we rush with the tide.
    Although I'm still alive, pray to God I survive
    How long on this longest day, 'til we finally make it through.
    - June 6, 1944. The day earth stood still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lennson - Heavens Tear
    Lennson - Heavens Tear Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Typicly when you want to know how much damage you will do it's best to take an average of the minimum and maximum for anything that has a range,

AvgMagicAttack = (minMagicAttack + maxMagicAttack)/2

As such having a certain maximum magic attack bonus will be half as effective as that same value as a magic attack bonus.
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Yeah - after I posted that I was thinking about the skill description on plume - was just too lazy to log onto my cleric and re-read b:surrender

edit - re-read the more complex answer and it turns out I wasn't wrong anyway :D Just a more direct answer :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • rst777
    edited August 2009
    thanks for all the details. wasnt too worried about getting the exact damage output. just trying to get a feel for what things do.
    knowing the exact formula is cool though.