When do mages get better?

kaito777
kaito777 Posts: 15 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Wizard
I just dueled a barb my lvl and i feel like giving up my mage x-x
lvl 34

I have no chance x-x
I mean the barb can kill me within 3 hits and it takes me like 12hits or something to kill him b:shockedb:shockedb:shocked

b:surrender Sooo weak
Post edited by kaito777 on

Comments

• Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    60+ is when you stop being a complete joke but you still suck, 79+ with undine is when you're actually getting somewhere, 90+ it starts getting nice. And apparently 99+ is where you start balling, but I wouldn't know.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • kaito777
    edited August 2009
    So at lvl 80?
    Thats really far away.
    Can i kill werebeast 1vs1 tho?
  • Dalamaar - Heavens Tear
    Dalamaar - Heavens Tear Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Mage is for those with that are patient. We never really get great at duels but thrive in a mass pk\tw situation. Around 50-60 you will have better luck in duels, just don't fight clerics. Clerics are known for there classic move of sleep, stack heal, stack heal, stack heal, plume, plume, plume.. 60-80 you will start to win more duels then lose if you fight HA people and play smart. After that you'll get much better at duels but still not going to shine.

If you are looking to duel alot roll another class, if you want to TW then you picked the right class. Last TW I was in I killed maybe 10-20 people per death.
  • kaito777
    edited August 2009
    Ohhh thats alot x-x
    Im looking for something that can kill ppl in 1 hit.
    I've watched nurf's pk vid on youtube and wanted to make a mage but im not sure if those people he fought was same lvl as him or something
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Duels are easiest with sporific whisper(8/20 pages >.<).
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • Devilmages - Sanctuary
    Devilmages - Sanctuary Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    well actully you can still be a good mage before 60 and after 60 too it all comes from ability keep at it soon youll perfect dueling i can beat a werebeast and bms the only probs left veno,clerics archers. it all comes from your built char you do it right youll be a good also ya its a paitence class lol
    i like pie
  • kaito777
    edited August 2009
    Ohh and grinding is a pain for me atm too
    Im killing water mobs for more exp and once i agro more than 1 i die and i swim so slow too
  • Dalamaar - Heavens Tear
    Dalamaar - Heavens Tear Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Whisper isnt all that great.. is a 4 sec sleep and the mob wakes every time you hit it. I use it mostly when a strong mob is chasing me to give me a few secs to get away before they hit me.

Is a valuable skill to have but don't think of it as a game changer cause it is way to underpowered when compared to the cleric 30 sec sleep. You can't even get out one heal during the time the mob\person is asleep
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    xD kaito when your underwater i suggest using distance shrink to run away. helped me a couple of times.
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BrownflameZ - Lost City
    BrownflameZ - Lost City Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Whisper isnt all that great.. is a 4 sec sleep and the mob wakes every time you hit it. I use it mostly when a strong mob is chasing me to give me a few secs to get away before they hit me.

Is a valuable skill to have but don't think of it as a game changer cause it is way to underpowered when compared to the cleric 30 sec sleep. You can't even get out one heal during the time the mob\person is asleep

On the contrary, it's an amazing skill in PvP as an interrupt. Especially against Archers.
  • Rinnve - Lost City
    Rinnve - Lost City Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    kaito777 wrote: »
    lvl 34
    I dunno what's your build is, but i've dueled 45 barb being 43 wiz. Lost, but barb was at about 10% hp, so i suppose it was good fight. Later on, i quested in swamps on mid-6X lvl (don't quite remember it but i think it was like 65 or 66), 7X RQ barb tried to PK me. Some good running it was, he used Holy Path several times. Killed me after all but i think it's OK when 7X barb runs and attacks, runs and attacks waiting until Great Random and his zerk axes do the job.

So, it's harsh but i must to tell it. L 2 P.
    --
    PWonline.ru, Sirius: Иней, 70 cleric - off.
    PWI, Lost City: Rinnve, 7X wiz (frozen);
    Allods Online, Раскол: Риннве, 2X occultist
  • FireWizardEX - Dreamweaver
    FireWizardEX - Dreamweaver Posts: 463 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    when i was lv40 i pv alot of barb when i was getting always owned...until i decide to be a chiken =P

gush+run+gush+run+gush+shrink+gush....make me win wiht 100% hp even wiht the barb switch to tiger...above then i just pvp barbs or bms as chiken becuz they stun make me a dummy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    lol sleep in pve

EDIT: Also, 6x is where you max distance shrink, have some important skill @ max, etc. Wizards are very dependant on their skills, and you'll suck without properly leveled ones. That's another large part of why leveling helps wizards so much.
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    i heard sleep can pull mobs
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Devilmages - Sanctuary
    Devilmages - Sanctuary Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    dont give up mage its verry well worth it ijsut hit 59 im in it for the ult skills aoes here i come :D
    i like pie
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    I do not have sleep yet, but I imagine will of the phoenix, sleep, S, distance shrink might let you heal in PvE? You might need some channel reduction, but I do not know how much. (Of course if this resets whatever you were fighting, you obviously have time for a heal but you also have to start over.)
    That wasn't his point
  • ilystah
    ilystah Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    From reading other thread it looks like level 100 skill for wizard aren't good (elemental invocation have too long cooldown) (manifest virtue don't add enough damage for 1 spark cost) so if you are not getting better at 92 you are not better at 100.
  • Fireblood - Harshlands
    Fireblood - Harshlands Posts: 1,414 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    i heard sleep can pull mobs
    I saw a vid of a mage doing that, however 2min long cool down = meh
    Quit.
  • Levoden - Heavens Tear
    Levoden - Heavens Tear Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Ohh and grinding is a pain for me atm too
    Im killing water mobs for more exp and once i agro more than 1 i die and i swim so slow too

You shouldn't be dying if you aggro more than one water mob.

I don't know what lvl you are, but Mermaids/Ultrafins shouldn't give you a problem even if there are 3 or 4 on you. Take it like a champ, pull out Glacial Embrace and keep it up with your lvl.
    Maybe you'll have a bit harder time if you're wearing light armor, but it still shouldn't be a problem to take 2.

If you run out of HP pots or Jiaozi, then you can use Mage Star from your Genie to give you enough time to maybe kill 1 or 2.

Sharks/Piranhas, the last time I remembered, don't all aggro if you hit one of them when they are bunched together.
  • BludShot - Lost City
    BludShot - Lost City Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    mages get better at the lvl cap..
    b:surrender
  • Fireblood - Harshlands
    Fireblood - Harshlands Posts: 1,414 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    True dat..................
    Quit.
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    I do not have sleep yet, but I imagine will of the phoenix, sleep, S, distance shrink might let you heal in PvE? You might need some channel reduction, but I do not know how much. (Of course if this resets whatever you were fighting, you obviously have time for a heal but you also have to start over.)

you shouldnt be healing yourself from a mob as a lvl 79+ wizard O.o

no i seen pretty decent 8x mages, pwning 9x mages, godly 10x mages
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
  • kaito777
    edited August 2009
    Yea but i dont have trouble with it until the water mobs all agro and kill me.
    But i do better now with a lvl 6 glacial embrace :D
    I took on 3 at once and killed 2 of em x-x
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Yea but i dont have trouble with it until the water mobs all agro and kill me.
    But i do better now with a lvl 6 glacial embrace :D
    I took on 3 at once and killed 2 of em x-x

its a start b:cute
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    ElderSig - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,247 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    lvl 34

I have no chance x-x
    I mean the barb can kill me within 3 hits and it takes me like 12hits or something to kill him b:shockedb:shockedb:shocked

b:surrender Sooo weak

I'm a little unorthadoxed but.... Dragon's breath with an upgraded tree of protection always let me win against barbs at least. Even higher lvl ones. Don't think it would work on a real pvp server though >.<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BrownflameZ - Lost City
    BrownflameZ - Lost City Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I'm a little unorthadoxed but.... Dragon's breath with an upgraded tree of protection always let me win against barbs at least. Even higher lvl ones. Don't think it would work on a real pvp server though >.<

Zhen works pretty damn well against barbs and BMs in TW, if executed right with a BM dragon and a few mages zhenning at ones barbs go down pretty damn fast.

1v1 and if you use zhen, you just look like an idiot. Unless your BIGGYLUV making fun of your opponent dieing to a zhen skill. All for teh lulz. :)