Boycott Gold Price Ht!

Options
MalleDaVeno - Heavens Tear
MalleDaVeno - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Etherblade (West)
To ppl who are fed up with the price of gold from just a few months a go being at 115k per gold to being 170k+ for gold. thats just dumb i think.WTH ppl as of TODAY!! Heavens tear server players should start a boybott on gold prices witch means if u support that is do not buy gold for the greedy ppl who sell gold. that is why everything is so darn expensive even to buy little things. AS such on this day august 13! my self and a few of my friends will stop buying gold intill the gold prices drop. Please i encourage you all to do the same.......any questions plz feel free to message me in game MalleDaVeno..........See u in game!
Post edited by MalleDaVeno - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Fumiko - Harshlands
    Fumiko - Harshlands Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    the problem is that there is a % of rich ppl that can afford to buy golds at those prices... and since there aren't that many gold sellers txs to the new sales/JJ/cube stashes they can keep the current prices or increase them
    theGoliath's sexy wizzy
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    ColdSnow - Dreamweaver Posts: 983 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    same here..dreamwaver price 1gold=220k....:) thank god i bought gold when it did costs like 140k....
    If i m trolling and spamming on forum...then i cant sleep and need a good laugh
  • Cernunnosx - Heavens Tear
    Cernunnosx - Heavens Tear Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Also dont forget some players play the market, and if gold drops alot they will try to buy it all up and re-sell at a higher value, to make them self a good profit.

But hey good luck
  • Falcondance - Heavens Tear
    Falcondance - Heavens Tear Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I'm down for this.

Personally I think I'll start buying gold soon and injecting it in lower and lower to try to settle things down. I wonder if I'll have help? ^^;
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I always thought I'd be the only one doing crazy things for people who would never care enough to do it back or to act like idiots or be entirely vulnerable, and making someone fall in love with you is easy, and flying 3000 miles on four days notice because you can't just sit there and do nothing and breathe into telephones is not everyone's idea of love, but it is the way I can recognize it because that is what I do."
    Sig pic by Nowitsawn
  • _Aphrael_ - Sanctuary
    _Aphrael_ - Sanctuary Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I agree with the OP entirely and refuse to buy gold for anything more than 120k per and have done since gold prices stated rising and mosti mportantly have realised that NONE of the cash spot items are vital, it is still very easy to play this game well without them.
  • G_ree_n - Sanctuary
    G_ree_n - Sanctuary Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Someone makes a post like this every week, yet prices continue to rise. Nothing will change as long as those coin boxes are in the game ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Roll a barb on Sanctuary for hot cleric action. b:kiss
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Someone makes a post like this every week, yet prices continue to rise. Nothing will change as long as those coin boxes are in the game ...
    Even after they're gone, boycotts like this still accomplish nothing except benefit a greedy few.

What people never seem to realize is that the number of people you'd need to boycott Gold in order to make the price go down is far, far greater than the amount of people who would then be able to buy that cheaper Gold without driving the price right back up again.

So basically, boycotts are like pyramid schemes. The majority of people do all the work, but only a few people who buy the cheap Gold first get all the benefit. It's a game of chicken, where whoever sells-out the others first wins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Skimi - Dreamweaver
    Skimi - Dreamweaver Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    i don't see any reason to buy gold at all, you can buy charms, angels, essos, mounts, fashion etc much cheaper from players than with buying gold
    so far i have bought only 2 gold for one cupboard stone, thats it
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    the problem is that there is a % of rich ppl that can afford to buy golds at those prices... and since there aren't that many gold sellers txs to the new sales/JJ/cube stashes they can keep the current prices or increase them
    It ain't me. I'm rich enough to afford gold at this price. But I didn't get rich by being stupid.

I suspect it's the people who really wanted a mount (especially horses) who are buying the gold. And some layover purchases of the new fashion which was released during the JJ event. I don't see any rational reason for gold to be much higher than the ~125k it was before the JJ event since all the sales concurrent with it ended too.

I'm skeptical about the effect the coin boxes will have - there's a substantial time investment needed to acquire one so nobody is going to go crazy using them to convert hundreds of gold into coin. If they do, they're gonna have to buy boxes from other people, meaning the exchange rate differential will be split. What worries me most about them in fact is the inflationary effect it'll have on coin. One million per box is a huge new coin source. But that will take time to impact the price of gold.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    To ppl who are fed up with the price of gold from just a few months a go being at 115k per gold to being 170k+ for gold. thats just dumb i think.WTH ppl as of TODAY!! Heavens tear server players should start a boybott on gold prices witch means if u support that is do not buy gold for the greedy ppl who sell gold. that is why everything is so darn expensive even to buy little things. AS such on this day august 13! my self and a few of my friends will stop buying gold intill the gold prices drop. Please i encourage you all to do the same.......any questions plz feel free to message me in game MalleDaVeno..........See u in game!

*sigh*

What is to stop the gold sellers from boycotting low prices? They could decide to band together and refuse to sell gold below 200k.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    On DW prices crashed from 225k to 140k inside of about 12 hours.

After that they started rising again to 185, and have since fallen to 175k. Sell prices have gone from 200k to 185k.

My guess is the reason they're still semi high is that the prices crashed, people that lacked mounts rushed for gold to get it, and brought the price back up to some extent. Additionally there's a large surplus of coin chests from rebirth/cube that have been going on sale at 100-300k since they were implemented. People wanting to open those, is further pushing the demand up. I'm expecting another 3 days or so of moderately high prices while chests are opened, followed by a day of slightly falling prices while mounts get bought, and then gold to be in the 150 range. It will take another couple weeks of no real sales for it to fall any further.
    *sigh*

What is to stop the gold sellers from boycotting low prices? They could decide to band together and refuse to sell gold below 200k.

Simple, there's no organization for gold sellers. If they all decide to not sell for under 200k you're going to see a long line at 200k, someone will decide it's not worth it and jump to the front of the line by selling at 199.9. Once that happens it basically creates a domino effect and prices fall. There's not a cartel on gold selling to force an artificially high price.
  • Pannelo - Heavens Tear
    Pannelo - Heavens Tear Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I am as sick of the high gold prices as everyone else but a boycott on buying it won't bring the price down although I think it is a noble effort. Even if you did suceed in bringing the price down, those that have stockpiled their coin boxes in the hope of lower gold prices will drive the prices back up buying hammers until it no longer remains profitable to do so.

IMO you would be better off to start a petition to remove the cube 1m coin boxes or make them 500k coin boxes that require no hammer to open and I am sure the price will fall. Unfortunately the hammers generate income so I can't see either of these solutions being put into place.

It's unfortunate but I think gold at around 200k is here to stay b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Lag? What lag?
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Simple, there's no organization for gold sellers. If they all decide to not sell for under 200k you're going to see a long line at 200k, someone will decide it's not worth it and jump to the front of the line by selling at 199.9. Once that happens it basically creates a domino effect and prices fall. There's not a cartel on gold selling to force an artificially high price.

There is no organization for the gold buyers. If they all decide to not buy over 120k, someone will decide it's not worth it and jump to the front of the line by buying at 125k. Once that happens, it basically creates a domino effect and prices rise. There's not a cartel on gold buying to force an artifically low price.

I am not trying to be a smart-aleck. But unless I am missing something fundamental, anything gold-buyers can do, gold-sellers can do. The main difference is the size; there are more gold-buyers than gold-sellers. This means any form of organization or banding of forces will have a higher chance of success on the gold-sellers part.

I am neither condoning nor condemning high gold prices. Frankly, I prefer low gold prices myself, since I have never spent a single cent on the game. Instead, I am just commenting on the probability of success regarding a boycott. If buyers can boycott high gold prices, then, by a logical extension, sellers can boycott low gold prices.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    IMO you would be better off to start a petition to remove the cube 1m coin boxes or make them 500k coin boxes that require no hammer to open and I am sure the price will fall.
    That would be worse than the current implementation. The coin boxes right now stop being worthwhile when gold hits 200k. Once gold passes that point, the coin boxes cease having any effect on the economy.

A 500k box that requires no hammer would always be worth opening, thus increasing the amount of coin in the game no matter the price of gold. Ever-increasing coin supply but the same amount of gold supply = always-increasing cost of gold.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    There is no organization for the gold buyers. If they all decide to not buy over 120k, someone will decide it's not worth it and jump to the front of the line by buying at 125k. Once that happens, it basically creates a domino effect and prices rise. There's not a cartel on gold buying to force an artifically low price.

I am not trying to be a smart-aleck. But unless I am missing something fundamental, anything gold-buyers can do, gold-sellers can do. The main difference is the size; there are more gold-buyers than gold-sellers. This means any form of organization or banding of forces will have a higher chance of success on the gold-sellers part.

I am neither condoning nor condemning high gold prices. Frankly, I prefer low gold prices myself, since I have never spent a single cent on the game. Instead, I am just commenting on the probability of success regarding a boycott. If buyers can boycott high gold prices, then, by a logical extension, sellers can boycott low gold prices.

That's exactly it, neither can boycott prices. A boycott requires a collective effort from individuals to go against what's in their best interest. It's the same idea as the prisoners dilemma.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I have not bought gold from the AH in a very long time because of this. I buy gold from a person who still sells at the proper rate.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
    edited August 2009
    Options
    That's exactly it, neither can boycott prices. A boycott requires a collective effort from individuals to go against what's in their best interest. It's the same idea as the prisoners dilemma.

Ah, okay. I misunderstood your original reply. I thought you were saying that a boycott on high gold prices can succeed whereas a boycott on low gold prices could not. My apologies.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Well, except that in the prisoner's dilemma there's an overall benefit if everybody works together. In the case of a boycott, there's no overall benefit, just a minority benefit.

People who call for these boycotts either don't bother to do the math or else they're only really concerned with their own personal gain.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
  • SgtSIaughter - Heavens Tear
    SgtSIaughter - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,225 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    moving to HT forum

Why move it here? So we flame and troll the thread? But this seems like an issue every server, not just HT.
    "Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory.
    Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." ~Sun Tzu

"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!"
    ~Iron Mike Tyson Enrage.omgforum.net
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Why move it here? So we flame and troll the thread? But this seems like an issue every server, not just HT.

Seems like the title specifically mentions HT and was posted by a HT player. Sounds like solid logic to me b:surrender
  • Stickygreen - Heavens Tear
    Stickygreen - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,158 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    sgt got owned.
    Less QQ more Pew Pewb:thanks

"Don't argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SgtSIaughter - Heavens Tear
    SgtSIaughter - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,225 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    sgt got owned.

You're gonna love my nuts. again.
    "Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory.
    Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." ~Sun Tzu

"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!"
    ~Iron Mike Tyson Enrage.omgforum.net
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Stickygreen - Heavens Tear
    Stickygreen - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,158 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    ofc i will.
    Less QQ more Pew Pewb:thanks

"Don't argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Purra_Pearl - Sanctuary
    Purra_Pearl - Sanctuary Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    That would be worse than the current implementation. The coin boxes right now stop being worthwhile when gold hits 200k. Once gold passes that point, the coin boxes cease having any effect on the economy.

A 500k box that requires no hammer would always be worth opening, thus increasing the amount of coin in the game no matter the price of gold. Ever-increasing coin supply but the same amount of gold supply = always-increasing cost of gold.

b:dirty I think I'm in love!

Switch to Sanctuary server and come join Plunder. I'll make you my Marshal! b:cute
  • Kannone - Heavens Tear
    Kannone - Heavens Tear Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I'm down for this.

Personally I think I'll start buying gold soon and injecting it in lower and lower to try to settle things down. I wonder if I'll have help? ^^;

lolz... let me know when you do this so I can buy all your gold.

Maybe you're forgetting that supply & demnad drive the prices? The suppliers now have a sort of rule for exchange rates (5gold = 1mil coins). And those demanding the gold A.) have or will find the ig coins to pay higher prices for it, and/or B.) are willing to charge zen to get it.

Greed =/= shrewd business models (such as buying low, selling high); heck, it's really impossible to be greedy in this game; those who work smart & hard get the coins & buy the gold, everyone else either didn't work hard enough, or weren't smart enough to take advantage of the sales & events.

haha but anyways, good luck with your "boycott..." I'm sure it'll get ya somewhere.
  • Crazydan - Heavens Tear
    Crazydan - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,178 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Well gold is going down pretty fast since JoJ oh well
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]