Can Blademasters tank effectively?

Options
Caliph - Lost City
Caliph - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Blademaster
Starting the game and just want that question answered. I dont really want to play a barbarian because of lack of customization. But I want to be a class needed for groups.
Post edited by Caliph - Lost City on

Comments

• CrazyzViet - Dreamweaver
    CrazyzViet - Dreamweaver Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    yes they can, but not nearly as well as a barb
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    if you make a tank bm, you can be a great tank but not same as tank barb.

however, you can reduce the gap with cancelling mag attack skills from BM tree and genie tree.b:victory
  • Caliph - Lost City
    Caliph - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    So what I'm getting is that I can never tank as good as a barb. Could I tank the FBs effectively? And which spec would I need to go to tank?
  • CrazyzViet - Dreamweaver
    CrazyzViet - Dreamweaver Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    yes you can tank fbs effectively, however depends on your lvl and which fb, and i would always suggest axe path
  • Skimi - Dreamweaver
    Skimi - Dreamweaver Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    you won't be able to tank some bosses as they will do huge dmg to you(only barbs can handle those)
    and you won't be able to hold agro, if there will be dd in squad then pretty much ur party will be wiped out 80% of times lol
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    With genie skill Alpha Male you might be able to hold aggro better.

The best build for tanking as a bm that comes to mind would be.

5str 2 dex 3 vit. This build would use spear as your weapon path allow more dex then the pure tank axe build and the same vit. Can't hold aggro if you can't hit.

What will also allow you to be a good tank will be gear, hp shards, refinement. You will have to stay focused on making this type of character.

Now this build will be lacking a bit in customization. As far as multiple weapon paths go. You can still get shadowless kick for canceling as all you need is your bare fists to use that skill.

BM's are very use full in groups. And its not required for you to be a pure Tank build. If i was you i would read both stickied guides that will help. I tank often now. But I didn't do to much at lower levels. I capped my vit at 36 but with gear I have over 60. My gear is what allows me to tank more then my build.

Research and playing is your best friend right now. Study the weapon paths and the stats needed for them. Then make a decision.

I've been told that playing a BM correctly is one of the hardest things to do. So good luck. And most of all. Have fun.
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WickedSwords - Heavens Tear
    WickedSwords - Heavens Tear Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I agree on this as well.BM's are excellent tankers but they can tank only phy attack bosses(and some magical attackers if magical attacks are weak enough for BM to withstand the blows.),but i can say that i did tanked whole fb79 with clerics as am a sword/blade BM(which should explain that BM's are valuable asset in FB's as well as in other manners of instances,but role of each BM depends on their sub class choice.).
    If you are looking for tanking BM then i suggest you to chose axes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Oldbear - Sanctuary
    Oldbear - Sanctuary Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    If there is a circle of friends who know BM and what kind of damage the BM deals, I think tanking works. All the friendly DD-s in this group do, knowing you, is to try to avoid outdamaging you. Due to that it takes longer, is a bit riskier and repair bill could be higher, but it allows the party to finish a quest or 2 right away rather than wait around for a barb. Of course in latter game there will be some really tough dungeon quests (for BM) that needs 100% of power from every member. There it's best to leave tanking to the hi-level werebeasts.
  • complexx
    complexx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Short answer: No

Long answer: Yes

Warriors can tank fb's easily, instead of holding aggro skills we try to out DD the actual DD's.
    Fb79 is not a good example of a good warrior tank. Almost all warriors at 79 can tank that fb easily.
    59/69 are much harder for the level. I couldn't tank fb 69 till I was in the 80s range.

9x tanking: For HH usually is only done by A)Barbs B)Hercs C) Archers.
    Warriors fail at high HH tanking.

With the combination of Spark > Advanced spark > Triple spark, Chi skills, Genie skills, faster skills than DD's. Tanking as a warrior is pretty fun if you know how to do it. I've tanked on a barb it's stupid boring. Even if they are better at it I much prefer to tank on my warrior.

Now a days though best tanks are hercs imo.
    b:cute

Sinnerz Lost City PvP.
  • dekciw
    dekciw Posts: 954 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    complexx wrote: »
    Short answer: No

Long answer: Yes

Warriors can tank fb's easily, instead of holding aggro skills we try to out DD the actual DD's.
    Fb79 is not a good example of a good warrior tank. Almost all warriors at 79 can tank that fb easily.
    59/69 are much harder for the level. I couldn't tank fb 69 till I was in the 80s range.

9x tanking: For HH usually is only done by A)Barbs B)Hercs C) Archers.
    Warriors fail at high HH tanking.

I could actually tank 3-1 with a good ep on me but I don't recommend it especially if you have good archers in your PT, they will pull aggro from you.

I could tank 3-1 with a decent EP on me but yeah it's not quite recommended
    ZzXVdr5.png
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I think fb 69 is the all-around exception to most things. FB59 we had a lvl 64 BM tank, with all the rest of us around 60/61. Four of us were doing it as our culti 59, meaning no BB and other 59 skills available. Only cleric was myself, rest were wizard, veno, archer, and one other. Ran through it with no problems, so I'd say a BM can easily tank that nowadays at lvl or above. Depending on build.
  • DrowsEdge - Heavens Tear
    DrowsEdge - Heavens Tear Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Bosses with phys attack - easily
    Magical bosses - no
    Although I did tank the Myriadtail Wyvern just yesterday as a lvl 70 BM
    with 2 clerics healing me.
    but I'm teh uber D:
    I don't have much of a problem keeping agro
    But I start with Heaven's Flame and my genie's extreme poison + spam all my attacks.
    AFTER that, I tell the DD's to attack. They haven't pulled agro so far.
  • ilystah
    ilystah Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    But I start with Heaven's Flame and my genie's extreme poison + spam all my attacks.
    AFTER that, I tell the DD's to attack.

And so sharpen tooth arrow go to waste...b:shocked
  • DutchTank - Heavens Tear
    DutchTank - Heavens Tear Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Uhm yes BM's can tank a bit but they lose agro too easy
    Signature by FedTehNoob

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ruax - Heavens Tear
    Ruax - Heavens Tear Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    BM are underestimated as tanks for low-mid level bosses ( I call up to and including fb79 mid level, might be able to tank bosses after that but havnt personally tried so cant comment )

The only bosses my main (lvl 81 Blade/Axe hybrid BM) hasnt been able to tank are: krimson and Polearm, since if the cleric isnt on the ball with the Purify the phydef debuffs really hurt :P.

All the other FB bosses, TT1-1 to TT1-3 Quest bosses, and World Quest bosses such as Wraith chief, Yan, Kong etc, a BM who is 3-5 levels higher than the quest level shouldnt have a problem tanking.
    A good Cleric is the key (dont even need BB on 99% of the bosses) and not just counting on the Clerics heals helps ie: using Apoch potions and orbs helps to lessen the pressure on the healer.

Granted Barbs are much better at tanking and can do it much more effectivly at a lower level compared to a BM, but it is fun tanking on a BM since you have to be pretty much alert the whole time and weighing up which skills to use and when.. and hey the point of the game is to have fun.

Now at higher levels this might all go out the window because of the Dmg vs BM's health of higher boss hits.. but will be fun to try............ now where did i put those GA's b:chuckle
  • Kyna - Lost City
    Kyna - Lost City Posts: 1,597 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Sometimes tanking as a blademaster you have to have .... well... a smart squad. We don't hold aggro as well as a barbarian because we don't really have maybe one attack that increases our threat level while Barbs have a good few of those. Really high DD can still take aggro away from a barbarian it's just easier for the barbarian to get it back.

I tanked an fb51 as a level 70 fist BM with only one healer and no charm ticking xD It really wasn't even as bad as I thought it would be since a fist user is most definitely NOT a tank. But with the right squad (AKA a squad of smart people) a BM is more than capable of tanking a lot of things. Everyone just has to pay a little more attention.

Although I wouldn't suggest getting a big ego and trying to tank Krimson >_> that would mean death to a BM. x_x
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the sig :D
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    Fanfiction found on the forums or at rikasstorycorner.deviantart.com
    LOST CITY! -> home to the original badasses of PWI b:cool
    ... and a few losers....
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Well speaking of krimson...it is possible to tank krimson even as a BM(if you got at least two good clerics in your squad).I had to tank it since our main tanker died for some reason (and it took bit of time till he returned to tanking(getting healed up,rebuffing him etc.)),in that time i kept krimson in check enough to say with certainty to say that i can tank it with good clerics support.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Supermanx - Lost City
    Supermanx - Lost City Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    a BM tanking just depends on hp and gear, a BM with 6-7k hp is enough to tank Krimson just hard sometimes depending on the cleric lol
    b:surrender
    edited August 2009
    Options
    lawl my current hp is 4,4k :P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Filet - Heavens Tear
    Filet - Heavens Tear Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Sometimes tanking as a blademaster you have to have .... well... a smart squad. We don't hold aggro as well as a barbarian because we don't really have maybe one attack that increases our threat level while Barbs have a good few of those. Really high DD can still take aggro away from a barbarian it's just easier for the barbarian to get it back.

I tanked an fb51 as a level 70 fist BM with only one healer and no charm ticking xD It really wasn't even as bad as I thought it would be since a fist user is most definitely NOT a tank. But with the right squad (AKA a squad of smart people) a BM is more than capable of tanking a lot of things. Everyone just has to pay a little more attention.

Although I wouldn't suggest getting a big ego and trying to tank Krimson >_> that would mean death to a BM. x_x

I've actually seen a lvl 92 BM tank Krimson, he helped me back when I needed the quest
  • orgronbo
    orgronbo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I'm a lvl88 axe BM. I have tanked HH60 1-1 and did so at 82-84, but at the same time, have had prob. with tanking other bosses.It's not the lvl of the boss, but the boss itself. Some I would'nt dare try and much lower than I tanked. If your worried about gettin groups don't. Bm's make great back up tanks, and there AOE's help with crowd control, and keeping mobs off clerics.Tanking goes to Tanks IMO.
  • orgronbo
    orgronbo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I almost took Krimson at 88 1/4th hp left before he took me out, was with a lvl55 cleric. Don't know if that makes much diff. have'nt tried a cleric in this game yet.
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    complexx wrote: »
    Now a days though best tanks are hercs imo.

/facepalm
    Barbs are best tanks, not hercs. My barb got 4.5k HP highest at LVL39 (almost out of newbie LVL) and 3k P.DEF
    I remember u put me down coz i'm a lowbie, guess what I am doing fine on both my BM and barb. b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Dosinn - Dreamweaver
    Dosinn - Dreamweaver Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    BMs can tank things, they just have to be smart about it. Pots, Charms (if you can afford them), Apoth items, and good clerics are essential if youre going to try to tank something. Proper use of skills/items, and a smart squad go a long way. But put a barb and a bm in the same squad, at roughly the same lvl, and the barb will ALWAYS out-tank the bm. Unless the barb is a complete and total idiot. (No offence to the barbs out there)
  • GodlyTank - Dreamweaver
    GodlyTank - Dreamweaver Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    BMs can tank things, they just have to be smart about it. Pots, Charms (if you can afford them), Apoth items, and good clerics are essential if youre going to try to tank something. Proper use of skills/items, and a smart squad go a long way. But put a barb and a bm in the same squad, at roughly the same lvl, and the barb will ALWAYS out-tank the bm. Unless the barb is a complete and total idiot. (No offence to the barbs out there)

None taken, cuz i out-tank all b:cute

lol jk
    b:sweat
  • Signako - Heavens Tear
    Signako - Heavens Tear Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    orgronbo wrote: »
    I'm a lvl88 axe BM. I have tanked HH60 1-1 and did so at 82-84, but at the same time, have had prob. with tanking other bosses.It's not the lvl of the boss, but the boss itself. Some I would'nt dare try and much lower than I tanked. If your worried about gettin groups don't. Bm's make great back up tanks, and there AOE's help with crowd control, and keeping mobs off clerics.Tanking goes to Tanks IMO.

I currently tank 1-1,1-2,1-3. 2-1,2-2,3-1(haven't tried 2-3) some lunar, FF, and FB19-89. With two low level clerics namely 79, and 69. Yes a barb can out tank me, but whats the fun in that when I can do it, and thats just makes one less member I have to fight for mats for my gear over.

Tips: use a apoc pot that gives hp over time like choas etc. Make sure the clerics have you at full health when you do this, it gives you more hp over time, and helps the clerics keep you up. Wind shield on a genie will help to at level 7 it will reduce all damage by 24% and with the dex increase, and if you have alot of dex in your build, it will help you evade some of the attacks, thus giving you more of a fighting chance. Make sure to bring pots, even if your at 90% of your hp pot anyway, because its a heal over time effect it will help even more. Also remember, make sure you keep a spark handy, don't use a Heavens flame if your taking high damage, because you might need a back up heal to support the clerics healing you. Make sure to keep bleed on your target, at low levels on bosses they will knock off your bleeds but at 85+ your bleeds start to stay full so it helps keep aggro, also if your tanking do fast skills, and for a must have alpha male, also weapons that have provoke also helps to keep aggro >:P just make sure you don't use that weapon when a barb is around or they will get uber pissed because you will steal their aggro every time you proc :P

Also before people say have a charm. I have tanked 3-1, and 2-2 without one, and never had my hp go to half, but its best if you do, just incase a boss does crit you. Also do not rely on the charm, make sure to keep your hp at full no matter what, because if a boss is hitting you hard, and you just let your charm tick, 85% it will be in cool down when the boss crits you twice and your eating dirt. Thus my tips on helping you not have that happen. Also I use Sword Main, and Sub Axe, I will never tank with a axe because its too slow, and everyone will have to nerf their attacks making it too long of a battle, I use swords and keep up high damage, and with Sage spark+Relentless courage(warsong)/wind shield I am hitting so fast that its hard to pull aggro off me. I run around in 3-1 and 2-2 with a level 94 Sage archer friend. So keeping aggro is a must.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Knight is sworn to Valor. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the weak. His words speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked.