Mobs fall before they reach archers?

bettylee2
bettylee2 Posts: 1 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Archer
Hi, I am new to PWI, and I have a lvl 33 archer. As of now, I soloed everything till now. (except few physical type bosses).

My question is, I've heard archers usually kill most physical mobs before they landing hits on us, but so far no matter how I switch around my attacking pattern, I would at least get 1 hit (mostly from ranged and magical type).

Here are my configuration.

Weapon = lvl 19 purple crossbow from quest (maybe i should get new weapon now? If so, I should up my blacksmith manufacturing skill?)

Stats = Str 36, rest in Dex (8% crit atm)

Skills (99% attacking in this order) = Take Aim (lvl 6), Freezing (lvl 5), normal attack, normal attack (if mob is slow), knockback (lvl 1).
If gotten close to me, depending on mob's HP bar, I would activate Wing's shell, then use Winged Pledge.

I haven't finished lvl 20s Cultivation quests, therefore can't learn Aim Low and Bow Mastery yet.

Please advice, thank you! b:cute
Post edited by bettylee2 on

Comments

• Zinova - Harshlands
    Zinova - Harshlands Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    It is true that archer can kill a lot of mobs before they reach us ( depending on range you fire from ). for PvE purpose i suggest to max out frost arrow and stun as soon as you can, keep knock back to lvl 1 ( until your about 8x and get an overflow of SP ). Aim low is also very useful for PvE if you have enough SP invest in it. Don't worry much about weapon for now, stick with fb19 wep, chest weapons or 3* if you have the budget until 60 you'll need to switch to hh60 crossbow and at 69 wind & cloud for PvE or thundercrack for PvE/PvP.
  • Fuhjeebies - Harshlands
    Fuhjeebies - Harshlands Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    get max range or put an obstacle between u and mob (yes we fire over rocks^^)

take aim
    frost arrow
    pew pew
    knockback
    lightening strike(if u have it)
    pew pew
    loot

i usually get hit once at my lvl but i tend to farm the increased stat mobs so i don't mind taking a hit
    later on u will end up doing this

deadly shot
    aim low or stun arrow (depending on chi)
    pew pew
    knockback
    thundershock
    lightening strike
    knockback
    loot

^^
  • _Krue_ - Heavens Tear
    _Krue_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    No no no...

The BEST archer combo would be,

Frost arrow, Normal shot, Normal shot, knock back arrow, normal shot --> death

the normal shots can be replaced with any attacks to help in lower levels.

I at my level can kill 90% of my mobs without being hit, and i won't even use knock back arrow (because of me critting)

Also, First skills you should max is (The mastery skill that enhances distance for shots, Frost arrow, and Bow mastery)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಸ_ಸ ~~ Drama-Sauce-Face, 50% ownership to kon ♥♥
  • Challotte - Dreamweaver
    Challotte - Dreamweaver Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    they can kill mobs without being hit - implying that it's possible 100% of the time and you're a loser if you can't do that too.

The fact is you're GONNA get hit, especially if you fight mobs your lvl and above, BUT.....

the idea is to minimize both the amount of hits you take as well as the amount of damage you take and also do as much damage as you can.

Don't stress out that you're getting hit 1 time on average for each mob you kill - it happens. The best ways to avoid damage are:

1) Keep the mob as far away from you as possible (knockback and/or kite)
    2) Slow the mob down as much as possible (stun and frost)
    3) Always keep Blazing Arrow maxed and up
    4) Use winged shell to absorb damage when needed

If you do all those things, you'll have no problem playing an archer
  • _Fluff_ - Dreamweaver
    _Fluff_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I also seem to remember that at 33 I upgraded my weapon to something that did more damage...2** or 3*** lightning bow i think? I also remember I did get hit more in the early 30's...at 42 I find that I dont get hit as much (depending on what I fight...rarely against vipions...more frequently against mobs that are faster or have a better ability to absorb damage -more hp, def, etc)
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Firstly, upgrade to a 2 or 3 star lightning bow. FB19 crossbow can't keep up anymore.

To answer your question, it depends on the monster, your level, and whether or not it has increased stats.

Take the scorpions around Hidden Orchid, they have a pretty good chance of getting a hit in on you even with frost -> 3 normals -> knockback -> normals til dead. The level 35 sapphire fish thingies (forgot the exact name) on the other hand, will RARELY, if ever, land a hit on you.

As you get to higher levels and get more crit, you'll find it'll help keep monsters off you pretty well too. Prioritize Bow Mastery, Winged Blessing, Frost arrow, and Blazing arrow forkilling things quickly in general. Grab Aim Low and Stunning Arrow as well if you want to be able to kill things more before they touch you and keep monsters that are buffed up (increased life/defense) from being able to land a hit.

Also, sacrificial assult monsters are your FRIENDS. Unless you miss often or they're elites, sac assults will be the easiest monsters you'll have to deal with.
    edited August 2009
    sacrificial assult monsters are your FRIENDS.

Excellent point! I drool any time I see a Sac Assault mob for quick double exp!
  • Randoms - Dreamweaver
    Randoms - Dreamweaver Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    they can kill mobs without being hit - implying that it's possible 100% of the time and you're a loser if you can't do that too.

The fact is you're GONNA get hit, especially if you fight mobs your lvl and above, BUT.....

the idea is to minimize both the amount of hits you take as well as the amount of damage you take and also do as much damage as you can.

Don't stress out that you're getting hit 1 time on average for each mob you kill - it happens. The best ways to avoid damage are:

1) Keep the mob as far away from you as possible (knockback and/or kite)
    2) Slow the mob down as much as possible (stun and frost)
    3) Always keep Blazing Arrow maxed and up
    4) Use winged shell to absorb damage when needed

If you do all those things, you'll have no problem playing an archer

I disagree with you in some point, I need only one skill, frost arrow on +2 my lvl mobs to grind on them, I add knockback if they are a bit dificult.
    At lvl60+ you wont get hit unless your gear is all about hp.
    I kill things b:victory
  • Ebrithiill - Lost City
    Ebrithiill - Lost City Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    OK this is stupid. YOU WILL GET HIT. my armor is pretty good and i have a nice wep. and i still get hit once in a while. It's all about the mob you fight. some mobs will buff themselves/use skills on you before attking you. This type of mobs are relatively easy to kill since they give you more time to attack. Some have good range and will immediately start attking-as a result they sometimes can hit you especially if you low damage or miss. the best thing to do is max out frost arrow and your stunning arrow. Also max out your passive skills and blazing arrow. then you should not get hit most of the time.
  • Randoms - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    OK this is stupid. YOU WILL GET HIT. my armor is pretty good and i have a nice wep. and i still get hit once in a while. It's all about the mob you fight. some mobs will buff themselves/use skills on you before attking you. This type of mobs are relatively easy to kill since they give you more time to attack. Some have good range and will immediately start attking-as a result they sometimes can hit you especially if you low damage or miss. the best thing to do is max out frost arrow and your stunning arrow. Also max out your passive skills and blazing arrow. then you should get hit most of the time.

Before you edit it.b:chuckle

And no, I use no Knocback on mobs my lvl, well, there are few who I needs to use it on, but generally... No way. I get hit only from inc Life or Defense mobs sometimes, yeah, coz I am too lazy to use all skills anyway. If you are skill spaming archer then you wont hit at all unless you go for bunch of mobs with inc stats or they spawn behind you.
    edited August 2009
    Randoms

Okay, I'm not gonna get into a big argument here, but let me see if I understand what you've said:

1) At lvl60+ you wont get hit unless your gear is all about hp... except... I get hit only from inc Life or Defense mobs sometimes

2) no, I use no Knocback on mobs my lvl.... except... I add knockback if they are a bit dificult... except...well, there are few who I needs to use it on

3) If you are skill spaming archer then you wont hit at all unless you go for bunch of mobs with inc stats or they spawn behind you

Do you see what you're doing here? Saying you don't get hit in one sentence and then in the next saying, well.... except when this happens, that happens, etc...

All I'm saying is you won't get hit all the time, but you WILL get hit on occassion. I don't want some newbie archer to think he's awful it he can't take down EVERY mob before it gets to hit him - that's just totally UNREALISTIC.

The are Inc Life, Inc Def mobs, there are times where you'll miss 2-3 shots out of 5, etc... I think we're both saying the same thing more or less, but you seem to be giving a bit more of an unrealistic expectations view of it than I am.

I have plenty of mobs my lvl that I can kill 99 out of 100 without getting hit - I also have other mobs my lvl that I probably get hit at least once out of every 5 or so.

There just aren't many absolutes in a game like this, and I wanted the original poster to see that he's not a loser just cause he gets hit on occasion.

Now, if you happen to play an archer that NEVER gets hit under any circumstances, more power to you :)
  • Ussichu - Sanctuary
    Ussichu - Sanctuary Posts: 429 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I'm playing as a vit archer and i'm grinding on mobs 4-5 levels above me and only get hit once if not at all. (Without unlucky 2-3 misses -_-)

For increase life/def mobs i use relentless courage (lvl6) + extreme poison (lvl 8) [total energy is 170] together not get hit.

So yea, if your full dex, you should be killing mobs before they hit you pretty easily at higher levels due to massive crits.
    Navarre was your everyday veno, until she learned her true form. Now she's fox walloping and purging over and over again.. all for a deep stinging, head hunting, wind pushing Assassin. Will there be inner harmony and myriad rainbows? But of course! Yuri&Lemon Find it on Fanfiction XD "Discovering Sanctuary" Chapter 2 is up ^_^
  • Randoms - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Randoms

Okay, I'm not gonna get into a big argument here, but let me see if I understand what you've said:

1) At lvl60+ you wont get hit unless your gear is all about hp... except... I get hit only from inc Life or Defense mobs sometimes

2) no, I use no Knocback on mobs my lvl.... except... I add knockback if they are a bit dificult... except...well, there are few who I needs to use it on

3) If you are skill spaming archer then you wont hit at all unless you go for bunch of mobs with inc stats or they spawn behind you

Do you see what you're doing here? Saying you don't get hit in one sentence and then in the next saying, well.... except when this happens, that happens, etc...

All I'm saying is you won't get hit all the time, but you WILL get hit on occassion. I don't want some newbie archer to think he's awful it he can't take down EVERY mob before it gets to hit him - that's just totally UNREALISTIC.

The are Inc Life, Inc Def mobs, there are times where you'll miss 2-3 shots out of 5, etc... I think we're both saying the same thing more or less, but you seem to be giving a bit more of an unrealistic expectations view of it than I am.

I have plenty of mobs my lvl that I can kill 99 out of 100 without getting hit - I also have other mobs my lvl that I probably get hit at least once out of every 5 or so.

There just aren't many absolutes in a game like this, and I wanted the original poster to see that he's not a loser just cause he gets hit on occasion.

Now, if you happen to play an archer that NEVER gets hit under any circumstances, more power to you :)

I said I am lazy for skills, hence, I dont even do quests.b:surrender
    So I dont see what I am doing there. If you are extra careful archer who spams skills which are maxed then I dont see how you can get hit at all.

EDIT: Thats when you get past lvl60.
  • axiom2520
    axiom2520 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Kite. 'Nuff said.
  • Retributions - Heavens Tear
    Retributions - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Frost Arrow and Knockback arrow usually gets the job done for me.

Only time i find myself getting hit is from ranged mobs, "increased defense/life" mobs, and mobs with a ranged stun.
  • Agilaz - Dreamweaver
    Agilaz - Dreamweaver Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    It'll get much better by lvl50 for some reason. (better stats/skills/armor/weapon...?!) At least that's what I experienced.

But as someone already said, you will get hit, but the idea is that archers keep the hits minimal. Compared to other classes, we really don't get hit that often even if the mobs are chewing on our asses.
    And it depends on the mobs you fight - they have different walking speeds and attack ranges as well. Personally I love the slow close range mobs who first cast buffs on themselves before attacking. They're always dead long before they would reach me. xD

btw. I suggest to not level knockback arrow. You don't really need that skill for dealing damage, you'll have much better skills for that by the lvl you have SP to spare to lvl knockback. The extremely low mp cost (compared to other skills) of a lvl1 knockback arrow is very handy imo.

So, don't worry about some hits, as long as you don't die it's fine even as an archer. And if everything fails - kite. xD There has to be a reason we're the class with the highest base walking speed. lol
  • Admante - Dreamweaver
    Admante - Dreamweaver Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Get a better weapon. I was getting hit quite a bit from 35-42 until I switched to sinister shooter. Then everything dies 15m away from me. Now, with general summer's bow, things are starting to hit me again, but I have swiftwind crossbow waiting for me at lvl 60 (and they'll drop like flies again).